Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    I compared 2010 Accord EX, 2010 Fusion 2010 Altima 2.5 S and 2011 Sonata GLS/SE. Decided on Sonata SE and I am waiting for one.

All are very nice cars with the pros and cons and it eventually comes down to the overall balance of safety, value, features, warranty, performance, styling, and reliability that decided my choice.

As for prices, all of them are very close in pricing, if you bargain hard enough. Accord EX 4cyl sedan A/T is discounted to $21k, 2.5 S Altima at $22-23k with convenience pkg. 01+02, Fusion SE with pkg 202A w/sunroof and Sync at $20,600 after 2k rebates and Sonata SE around $21k+.

I liked the performance and dynamics of all the 4 cars, though I liked Accord second best for its comfort, steering and overall balance and smooth 190HP engine.

I picked Sonata SE for its warranty, fuel mileage, safety, ergonomics and its great styling and good driving experience (198HP). SE has much better suspension and its steering is more precise than GLS!

I wish Sonata had few features like rear AC vents like Accord EX, FOB button to roll down windows like Accord and Altima has, and few more but I will enjoy the USB/XM radio, the blue tooth, and 27 MPG.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    edited June 2010
    Kristie,

Didn't see your request. Please delete!.
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    Thank you Kirstie for putting a close to this conversation. This was just going round and round with no end in sight.
  • mommytmommyt Posts: 42
    You stated...".I think you want Hyundai to call you personally, and admit the car was defective and dangerous". I replied to that statement.
    I feel it is important to warn everyone. At least they won't feel so alone and "isolated" if something does happen. It is happening to others. What if you happened to be number 5 or 6 out of 100,000?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    Hey, this is a hot selling car with lots of interest from members in the Forums. I am SURE we can find other aspects of this vehicle (and the upcoming turbo) to discuss!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    Stop. Really. I mean it. Posts will go "poof."

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• toysaxtoysax Posts: 28
    I drove my Limted about 500 miles since I got it..Yesterday I drove about 150 miles. *80% hiway... at average 70mph with airconditioning on. MPG was about 32.
    No rattles, no squeeks no drama.. Guy at the bank drive in said it looks like a Mercedes from the side.....
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    edited June 2010
    I thought this article would be of interest to any car owner with EPS.
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/steering_power_electric.htm

Please note the recall by GM at the bottom of the article.

It appeares to me that a defective electronic sensor can result in a steering wheel oscillating similar to the video shown on Youtube. Replacing the steering column would fix the issue since it contains all the electronics.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,703
    Well first off I was responding to what Backy said not what you said.

Secondly, now don't take this the wrong way but I am taking your story with more than just a few grains of salt.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• jsmit86jsmit86 Posts: 116
    Sorry about that! I did not intend to annoy. I shall ignore the spam in the future.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Hyundai released the alignment specs for the Sonata in a TSB 10-SS-008 this month. Not much to see, though. It just tells the technician how to access the online database that gives the detail for the car.

No numbers shown in the TSB.
  • skdriverskdriver Posts: 9
    If you check my posting #3513 (June 22)- on a long trip I averaged just above 33 mpg/US gal on my Limited - this is terrific mileage and likewise I am completely happy with the vehicle, Certainly received a lot of comments on the style, color combo (Venetian Red/Camel),
    I have about 8000 km (5000 mi) with no complaints.
    Good luck with yours !
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    Glad to hear you enjoying your new Sonata so far.. I have about 14,100 miles already and no complaints yet - the only things I've taken it into the shop for are oil changes. I cannot believe how many random people come up and comment about how nice the car is too. Since I got mine, 2 other people on the same block also got them - a red GLS and a white SE. I think they were jealous ;)
  • toysaxtoysax Posts: 28
    I have found a disbelief that this could be a Hyundai from people. Nobody expects this kind of style, inside or out... and since theyre not shoipping cars.. theyre not aware of the safety ratings,awards, accolades projected increased value at resale,low insurance costs resulting from all of that . I am very pleased that not only did I purchase a car that is pleasing to the eye(in my opnion), but meets my needs on every other level.
    By the way.. for any of you that have "smart phones" such as the iphone or droid... try downloading a free app called Pandora. It is a free digital radio station that allows you to make you own channels based on your personal music preference. Almost eliminates the need for XM!
  • alexupalexup Posts: 14
    edited July 2010
    The description is "Ignition Wiring". I have not had any issues.....I really enjoy this car and still receive lots of praises. I scheduled an appointment with service for tomorrow morning to address the recall.
  • Me too, have a venetian red/camel Ltd with Nav now 2 months old....best car I have owed. Now have 4200 miles took the car last wk from NJ to NH great gas miles . One way trip was about 435 miles but averaged about 535 per tank.....didn't have to stop to fill up, got about 32.5 on trip up and return was doing about 33.5 to 36.5. Very impressed. This car is turning heads and even impressed my friends who are BMW owners. This is my 3rd Sonata between 2000 - 2011, very happy !
    I'm waiting for a call from my Service Mgr to get info on the TB3 recall.
    I went to the following website but it is not listed. Will post if I get any new info.
    http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/1_hyundai_recalls.htm
    edited July 2010
    My service mgr called and said he can't find any recall on the 2011 Sonata titled ignition wiring. Can you please give me more info so I can get back to him.
    Thanks.
    I received a post card in the mail from my Hyundai service dept. informing me of this recall. I called service to verify and they told me the #TB3 is for the "ignition wiring" which needs to be rerouted to the switch. The #096 is for the door handles recall. I hope this helps!
    edited July 2010
    Do you have a 2011 GLS, SE, or Limited?
    2011 Limited
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    I think there was an ignition wiring recall issued a few months back, however if I'm remembering correctly it only effects vehicles built in March or earlier.
    That's interesting because my Serv Mgr has a Limited purchased in Feb and he only knows of the door lock recall. He's calling Hyundai tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
    I also called several of my friends who have the Limited and so far they heard nothing. However it's too early to say they won't get a notice.
    My serv mgr who also owns a 2011 Sonata Limited called Hyundai and he said they know nothing about an ignition wiring recall as of 12noon ny time today. Please let us know when you bring your car in what"s going on. We appreciate any info you post.
    Thank You
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    I also own a Limited that I took delivery of April 8. It was built March 23. I have not received any recall either.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I bought a 2011 gls in may. Has 750 miles and I am experiencing a creaking sound coming from somewhere in the back and under the car. When I am at a stop and start up I will hear a creaking sound. Bringing it in on tues but didn't know how common this was.
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    edited July 2010
    I too have a Limited built on March 24th. No recall on that.
  • alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    If the gas savings are 365/ yr for hybrid over gas engine than for 10 years shouldn't it be $3,650?

The only problem is that hybrid will be so hot that folks will pay premium and make it less attractive an option.

You didn't compute the higher sales tax between 25k and 20k for GLS! Frankly GLS with PEP 01 is for that price. What will be trim level on hybrid? The picture of hybrid at NY Auto Show is at LTD trim level. Also wonder how small will the trunk be?