Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,738
    EPS by itself, maybe not. But there was discussion about the possibility of a broken bolt. Maybe a mechanical failure was at work here? Although that would be easy for Hyundai to detect upon inspecting the car.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    I just received this email from Hyundai.

Dear..............
    Hyundai vehicles are now recognized as being amongst the highest quality in the industry.
    This is driven by listening to our customers.

Hyundai engineers would like to obtain feedback from you regarding your Hyundai Sonata.

Below, you'll find a link to a quick survey that should take no longer than ten minutes to complete.

Follow this link to take the survey

http://www.hyundaifeedback.com/HyundaiSurvey/GenSurvey.aspx?guid=JyOmRM%2f%2fENw- %3d

Thank you for taking this survey. Your input will help Hyundai design and build better vehicles.
    We appreciate your participation.

Hyundai Motor America
  • johnwhojohnwho Posts: 19
    @schdy -

I suspect that that survey is specifically for Hyundai owners and by posting the link here you've opened it up to anyone.

I further suspect that this will corrupt their survey.

Just an observation.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I received that very email from Hyundai on my Elantra Tourning and Tucson.
  • keyman2keyman2 Posts: 78
    ILOOK AT THIS POST THAT'S ON THE HYUNDAI FORUM,IT'S NOT THE WHOLE POST JUST PART OF IT.

Like I told the dealer, we'll see as there are more complaints! So, if anyone else has a 2011 Sonata with noticible drift/pull PLEASE have it serviced because there is an identified issue by a Hyundai factory engineer whom serviced my vehicle, which isn't being addressed. They couldn't figure out what was causining it to do it; so, the Hyundai factory engineer simply chalked it up to "the nature of the beast." How wrong is that?

Oh, by the way, I live in Maryland and the Lemon Law here stipulates that the vehicle must be in for service more than four times for the same problem or out of service for maore than 30 days. So far, I have had it in twice. I plan to take it to another dealership for a second opinion or diagnosis.
    on the Hyundai forums also i've posted other complaints,here's another that looks important.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    If a noticable drift or pull occurs after a few thousand miles are on ANY vehicle, and there are no known issues from impacts, curbs, etc., the first thing I always check is the tires. Perform an "X" rotation and see if the problem changes. I just had this happen on my 2010 Elantra Touring. 6500 miles and it started pulling to the right. Did a front to rear swap, no change. Took the fronts right to left, drift/pull is gone.

Now, if right out of the box there is a pull either way, alignment, front and rear, plus tires, all should be looked at. Figure tens of thousands of these are being made, so they are not all going to be exact. That's why the the alignment is adjustable! :)
  • I further suspect that this will corrupt their survey.

Why? Do you think people would go on there and deliberately lie to make the Sonata appear better?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    edited July 2010
    Hopefully Hyundai will notice the VIN numbers, and/or lack thereof and negate the results from such unauthorized replies.

van
  • johnwhojohnwho Posts: 19
    Nope.

I am certain that some folks, who do not have a Sonata, will do exactly the opposite, just as they do any thing that they do not like or are jealous over.

Just as they would do if this was a Toyota survey, or a Nissan survey, etc.

Just as they do now on some review sites where they give a poor review to a car that they do not own and haven't driven.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    Apparently you can only submit the survey if you are a current Hyundai owner. I tried to go to the webpage and it said I already completed the survey so I don't think you can submit an unauthorized reply.
    I suggest you wait to receive the email if you do own a new Hyundai vehicle.
    Sorry if I misled you to think anyone can fill in the survey.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    The link has a spcial code that only applies to that owner, meaning that you can only submit one survey for link. I don't think posting it here will be a big deal.
  • alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    Yes, C&D said so and apologized for their oversight in current issue. Read the full article before commenting.The point was that car mags. do tend to hype cars on very narrow set of attributes " performance" whereas consumers have to look at complete ownership factors that is often remiss in these narrow comparisons.

An EX Accord 4 cyl. with A/T MSRP is about 25.5k and I was offered one for sale @ 21k plus TTL. So much so for accuracies!

Frankly, there too many good choices in the mid-size car market and best part is its buyers market except for 2011 Sonata!
  • toysaxtoysax Posts: 28
    My Sonata Limited now has just about 1000 miles.. no drift.. no squeaks no rattles.I agree that as par for the course.. there are bizzare people that for no other reason than stupidity and post negative reviews/comments.. fabricate issues.These people thrive on internet angst that they try to cause... so before hitting any panic buttons, calmly investigate before getting into chicken little mode
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    Bingo - usually when you are sent a URL that long with a bunch of seemingly random letters/numbers at the end, it's a one-time use URL. Apparently, the people in charge of such things envisioned the potential for abuse. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    CR provides detailed information that no other car magazine does.

CR has taken Toyota products off the recommended list based on unintended acceleration due to the severity of the problem but its rate of incidence is 3 per 10,000 vehicle, whereas unreliable vehicles have defect rate of 13 per 100. The fact that they have taken Toyota products off their list shows that they are unbiased. Will you see Toyota products not compared MT or CD? I doubt it!

Yes, it would be impossible to make a case that adv. dollar influenced the COTY awards but it has a huge financial gain for car manufacturer and very obvious conflict of interest. All I am saying is taking these comparisons with grain of salt!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,010
    All I am saying is taking these comparisons with grain of salt!

I'll take them with a grain of salt because they are someone's(a reviewer) opinion in a lot of respects. What I won't do is say they are on the take unless I can prove it. CR has taken many Toyotas off their recommended list along with hundreds of other cars that are not on their recommended list. Will they stop reviewing Toyotas? No, and neither will other magazines. I don't recall anyone on here saying that CR is biased. But can they make mistakes? Sure all of them do.

Like I said, you're preaching to the choir as I subscribe too and like CR for their reviews. But I also read a lot of other reviews when I'm interested in a car and I don't consider them biased or on the take even if I don't agree with them. It's just their opinion, good or bad.

If someone truly believes that a particular magazine is biased or being bribed in some way they should ust stop reading those magazines and they will go out of business. I don't think the people that subscribe to those mags are stupid, and on average, know more about cars than the average person and would be in the best position to discover fraud or something like that.
    If someone truly believes that a particular magazine is biased or being bribed in some way...

MOST car publications are biased... but they usually admit it. For example, C/D admits they are biased towards cars with crisp handling. CR is admittedly biased towards cars with excellent safety features and reliability. In fact, they won't even recommend a car that doesn't have a proven track record for reliability. Other mags don't even consider safety and reliability, but look only at how the car performs and looks, and whether the editors feel they "gotta have it." :P So it's difficult if not impossible to find car reviews that are not biased in some way. The key thing is to know what the editorial bias is when reading the review.
    Maybe I thought it was obvious by the tone of the discussion that I meant biased as a result of some kind of monetary influence and maybe biased wasn't the right word in the first place for what I was talking about. You're right, biased in the way your describing is not a problem as it's pretty obvious where the individual mags are coming from. I was just talking to someone that recently subscribed to Road & Track and they were complaining that a lot of the magazine was devoted to expensive sports cars and racing. I said, "Well, Helloooooh, what did you expect?" I think it was my son-in-law. Oh well, what did I expect? ;)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,765
    Yes, it would be impossible to make a case that adv. dollar influenced the COTY awards but it has a huge financial gain for car manufacturer and very obvious conflict of interest.

Every time someone brings this up I ask them where does CR get the money to do all that they do? Their subscription revenue simply can't pay for everything.

Anyway as for me if CR said the sky was blue I would look and check. They lost my confidence for good 20 some years ago.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

edited July 2010
    In the hopes that by answering your question you'll stop repeating it over and over here, so we can talk about the 2011 Sonata... CR gets a lot of its funding from contributions from members. When I was a subscriber, I got hit up by CR at least once a year for donations. They even ask everyone who returns their annual auto survey to send in a few dollars to cover costs. They publish a list of major contributors, if you're interested to learn more.
    edited July 2010
    Consumers Union does not accept contributions from any for-profit corporation or business, in any amount or form, including employer matching gifts. The organization accepts only individual gifts and gifts from foundations that are not directly connected with a corporation, as well as grants from government agencies. All gifts and grants over $10,000 must be approved by our Conflict of Interest Review Committee.

The above is from the CR annual report. If you look at the annual report you will notice that they have over 4 million subscribers to the magazine and over 3.2 million subscribers to their on-line site. They had about $248million in operating income and about $245 million in operating expense. Of that $248 million in revenue over $225 million was from subscriptions. The other revenue was from donations. They are a non-profit and their books are strictly audited. I have no connection with CR and don't always agree with everything they say about cars but I am a subsciber.

You say you always bring up the question as to where do they get all their money to do all the things they do. I just gave you the answer. Unless you have proof that they are crooked, please stop insinuating that they are.
    Yes they get donations and at times large donations from people who might or might not have a vested interest in how something gets reviewed. So my point is if Car and Driver might be influenced by XYZ company advertising in their magazine you have to entertain the possibility that CR might be influenced by having a major investor in XYZ company donating a large amount of money.

Again if CR told me I was alive I would go to my doctors to make sure.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

I have seen CR give the exact same product two completely different reviews (same product produced by the same company for two different companies with only cosmetic differences), I have seen them rate products that everyone else rates as second class all the while not mentioning products that everyone else states are superior to their top picks.

As far as I am concerned CR is as crooked as a mountain road.

Yes they get donations and at times large donations from people who might or might not have a vested interest in how something gets reviewed. So my point is if Car and Driver might be influenced by XYZ company advertising in their magazine you have to entertain the possibility that CR might be influenced by having a major investor in XYZ company donating a large amount of money.

Do you have one shred of proof or are you just one those people that say "Oh well I don't agree with everything they print and they take advertising dollars to stay in business......oh, oh, brainstorm, they must be on the take and write stories favoring their biggest advertisers".

Now you say Car and Driver "might be influenced" by advertising money. You know you can say these things over and over but talk is cheap. Prove it.
    See my post before yours and explain why the exact same product is given different reviews? Or explain why they didn't compare certain brands.

• rexgrexg Posts: 27
    I must say that I was impressed a few weeks ago when I completed this survey. I thought it was extremely well organized, and it made me feel that Hyundai was truly committed to gathering detailed customer feedback. It covered all aspects of the car in a systematic manner, and it provided a very convenient forum for me to describe my dislikes about the car and the defects that I encountered. My new SE is my first new car since 2001, so maybe all manufacturers are doing this now, but I have never personally experienced such a thorough follow-up.

I also completed another Hyundai survey about my purchase experience, and I was not so happy with this one. As seems common nowadays, Hyundai apparently expects every response to be a perfect 10. As is also common nowadays, the dealer told me that this survey was coming and he told me that he would be "hear about it" if I didn't give a perfect score for every response. I don't understand why manufacturers play this game. Nobody is perfect. And to the extent that customers follow their dealer's advice and give perfect 10's, then the manufacturer is not getting reliable feedback. In my case, I ignored my dealer's appeal and tried to answer the survey questions honestly. And I actually gave the dealer 8's and 9's because I was pretty happy with their performance. So essentially I gave them a B+ rating. But a couple of weeks later, my salesman called me and asked me why I was so unhappy with the sales experience. Hyundai had called the dealer and reported that I was unsatisfied.
    I believe we're really getting off track from the 2011 Sonata so I'll try to be brief. Two products made by the same company for two different retailers can look substantially the same but be built to totally different specs. For example major appliances. One major company makes very similar models for big box stores, Sears, smaller chain stores and their own brand but to different specs such as soundproofing material, quality of internal parts, motors etc. My wife sells major appliances and sees this everyday. Believe me there can be big differences in performance.

That said, it's also possible that a mistake was made in the incident you're referring to since you don't give any details. Bottom line nobody says CR is perfect, who is? However, it's a long ways from saying someone makes mistakes to taking payoffs or is crooked.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion which you clearly state when you say "As far as I'm concerned". I consider that an opinion, not proof.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program........
    In the 80's I worked for a company that made small appliances for "other" companies. Basically we were making them for other companies to sell. One of the products we made was a blender. We made this one blender for two different companies (off brand names) and the only difference was the casing and the name on it. Insides were the same made to the same specs. It was joked that when one came off the line a coin was flipped to determine which company it was for.

CR gave one an above average rating and the other poor. And there was absolutely no difference between the two.

Just one reason I don't trust CR.

• jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Just one reason I don't trust CR.

I don't have complete trust in any source, but when I'm preparing to make a large purchase, I want as much information as I can get from as many sources as I can find. As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as too much data.

Later on in the evaluation process, I may decide to give less weight to some sources & more to others, but I won't ignore data from any reasonably credible source. That would be silly.

I wouldn't buy a car without first reading CR's review of it - we're longtime subscribers - but that doesn't mean that CR's opinion by itself will drive my decision.

We don't finance our cars - we pay cash for them & we keep them for a long time - & that makes us cautious, non-impulsive buyers.

Incidentally, CR's review of the new Sonata is highly favorable. In their words, "The redesigned Sonata is a major leap ahead of its predecessor. It now ranks with our top-rated family sedans and is competitively priced."
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,709
    edited July 2010
    I'm with snake on this one.

In the 80's I worked for a company that made small appliances for "other" companies. Basically we were making them for other companies to sell. One of the products we made was a blender. We made this one blender for two different companies (off brand names) and the only difference was the casing and the name on it. Insides were the same made to the same specs. It was joked that when one came off the line a coin was flipped to determine which company it was for.

CR gave one an above average rating and the other poor. And there was absolutely no difference between the two.

Some of you know I'm a big supporter of Kia Motors. I'm not an employee of Kia Motors and I'm not a salesman of Kia vehicles. I'm not a Kia stockholder. I have, though, owned two of them and although those two new Kia's my wife and I have bought gave us great service and have been traded in on subsequent new cars, I would consider both my wife and I fans of Kia Motors.

I read the various car magazines that I can get my hands on at Barnes & Noble, Wal*Mart, Border's, Hastings, etc., to see what's new in the automotive world. My wife doesn't. But as to what snake has stated about CR reporting, I will concur that I don't go by what they say very much.

I don't trust their honesty, or their originality. Back when I followed every new Kia model like a hawk, I knew exactly what the new Spectra looked like (the 2002 model is the one I'm talking about), down ta all the details of the front grille, etc. Some other things changed, too, regarding the engine of the compact car and some options and package details. I knew them because I'd scoured the net for months reading up about this car-I was gonna buy one. We bought a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 instead, that's how my wife fits in to the story. She didn't "want another small car". She ran up to a Pepper Red 5-speed Sportage 4X4 and had to have it. Turned out to be a tough little trooper for towing goods and climbing mountains and getting me out of icy, slippery situations with it's 4WD system, at least 3 times in the states of Missouri and Idaho. But by looking at CR I was looking for maybe some of their insight or something new I didn't already know about the 2002 Kia Spectra sedan.

So...how did CR see any of these changes? A test-drive might have been expected, too? Naah...they gave it the same exact review as the Sephia review the year before and showed an old picture for the sedan, and called it up-ta-date!

Now, I was looking for something new about the car that I didn't already know. I know that as car enthusiasts we usually know more than the salesmen talking to us about the car. CR not only gave outdated information they were trying to pass off as new but couldn't even put a new photgraph of the new year's Kia Spectra model.

And then CR gave it their customary "Knowing this information we can't give it our Michael Jordan Seal of Almighty Approval and Recommendation" crap they repeatedly gave the subcompact Kia sedan year after year after year.

I'm sorry, that's publishing misinformation and it's unprofessional and it's bunkweed of the highest cost and hassle to procure. After seeing they wouldn't do their homework yet expected their work to still be bought and paid for well I lost all respect for them.

I think that while we were still down in southern Arizona I probably picked up a CR in Tucson or Sierra Vista once or twice just for poops and giggles, but I don't put very much credence in their magazine. I say use it for hamster fodder or for packing valuable items for shipping. Spending money on a CR magazine would be a no-no times 25.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed