Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Not absolutely, but automotive evaluator sites such as ours have been largely in the ballpark. The people who put together such evaluation tools don't just say, "well, the Honda has been a reliable car over the past 20 years and has had good resale value, so we'll say its value will be higher than car brand X." History & reputation is part of it, but think about all of the other factors:
    How many does the company plan to produce?
    What are their own projected sales numbers?
    Are they going to make leasing very attractive? (if so, expect a reasonable glut of lease turn-ins after 36 months)
    Rental or other fleet sales? (if significant, see above)
    How long does the average brand owner keep his/her vehicle before trading in?

And, as m6user indicated, neither the industry nor consumer perceptions and behaviors turn on a dime. There are exceptions and unexpected events, but largely, they affect the entire used car market value rather than one vehicle.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,000
    edited July 2010
    How would you suppose that ALG comes up with the residual percentage that they are giving the 2011 Sonata then? Is it just a WAG?You don't think they are looking back at the last few years of used car prices and such and making an educated estimate as to the future value. What else could they possibly look at when they set those numbers on a brand new car other than historical data? I may be completely wrong but I don't see any other way of doing it.

You say it's not historical data, then how do they do forecast it?

edit: Kirstie makes some very good points and some of them are forward looking but based on past events(history) like leasing strategies, etc. Anyway, determing future resale values can be and is done all the time with pretty good accuracy and if you're going to lease a new Sonata, be thankful that they can because it is providing for some pretty good lease deals..
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    According to an article that ran in the NY Times business section a couple of months ago (can't find a link at the moment), last year's Cash for Clunkers program took so many used cars out of the market that resale values for the remaining vehicles rose across the board.
    That was just the sort of event to which I referred - it affected the entire used car market value, not just one vehicle. At other points, new car incentives/financing have made new MUCH more attractive than used and eventually driven down used prices (which I suspect will happen again once the used car inventory is strong).

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ewg54ewg54 Posts: 25
    edited July 2010
    "early turn in"as opposed to keeping a car 8 to 10 years. I have never leased a car but I guess you turn them in one or two or three years after you get the car, depending on the lease agreement. ( that is early in my world as I keep them 8 to 10)
    Thus resale value is important for either 1. buying the vehicle at that point, (why didn;'t you buy it in the first place?) or 2. turn it in and start another lease .
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    My original point was that because the 2011 Sonata can be leased for a reasonal price ($199mo) the resale value must have increased to put it with Toyota,Honda and others.
    I just don't know how any of us can predict the resale value of a car that just hit the market. Historical records are guidelines. If the 2011 Sonata develops major problems like the Toyota the resale value can plumet. The same goes for any other car.
    When I purchased my Sonata in March my Dealer would not take in a Toyota on trade because of the bad publicity.
    Let me also add that tading in a car to the original Dealer (Hyundai to Hyundai or Honda to Honda) will result in a better trade value. When I was shopping I looked at Altima,Honda, and Ford. I received a considerable more for my Hyundai going back to Hyundai.
    As I said earlier I have a 5dr 2006 Elantra with 15k miles that I paid under $11k and I have been oferred $7k from several potential buyers. Not to shabby for 5 years. Most cars lose that the 1st year.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I'm visiting the Hyundai Plant on Monday when I go home to visit my family. Does anyone have any questions they feel someone at the plant can answer? Let me know.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,721
    How do they plan to meet demand once the turbo, hybrid, and wagon versions come out, given they are having a hard time meeting demand now even with overtime?
  • hmma007hmma007 Posts: 19
    edited July 2010
    Lashawn, I hope you enjoy your visit to our facility. You won't see me because I'm hidden away in the Paint Shop but we have a nice presentation showing how our plant produces the finish on our cars. We're very proud of our cars and our entire plant (although I feel Quality Control is the best department :P ), I think you'll find it to be different than just about any manufacturing facility you've ever visited.

Backy, we're working a LOT of overtime to meet the demand for our Sonata AND Santa Fe, there are some plans in the future to help us better manage our output.

We're really excited about the Turbo and Hybrid Sonatas and some other possible surprises in store for the Hyundai family of customers.

Bring the sunscreen and something to drink when you come to Alabama....it's very very very hot right now! ;)
    I'm visiting the Hyundai Plant on Monday when I go home to visit my family. Does anyone have any questions they feel someone at the plant can answer? Let me know.

Is the horn adjustable?
  • toysaxtoysax Posts: 28
    indeed! my sonata yearly premium is over $300 LESS than my previous car... a honda CIVIC!
    My daughters BF is a service manager at a BMW dealer here in Jersey. He is very positive on the Direct innjection technology, and says that cleaning any carbon deposts is a relatively minor procedure. Now.. edmunds has written a review of the new Sonata 2.0T direct inject engine... and suggest that Hyundai is in the process of assuming a leading spot in auto motor technology
  • busterbritbusterbrit Posts: 27
    edited July 2010
    I noticed today that when you open the gas cap that there is nothing covering the little hole that you put gas into. My other cars always had a silver cover that pushed back when filling with gas. I feel like there was one on this car but its gone. Can someone confirm if they do or do not have anything covering this hole?
  • busterbritbusterbrit Posts: 27
    OK so my wife called me the other day in tears because she scrached my car. I hate that she was crying because I couldn't get mad at her.

It's a 2011 Sonata with silver paint. She backed into a pole and put a scratch and small gash into the corner bumper. The gash is about 1/2 an inch and you can see the black plastic.

What do I do? I hate seeing it but I don't know if its worth fixing. Even if I took it to a body shop how will they match it since the Sonata paint was done a special way?

help....
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,721
    Hyundai sells color-matched touch up paint for their cars. If the gash isn't too deep, it's possible you could make a decent repair with touch-up paint. If you are nervous about trying that, you could take it to a body shop that preps used cars for sale (lots of dealers have their own shops for that), and they could probably do the job for a small fee.

Then wait a few years, and after the bumper has accumulated lots of other dings and nicks (sorry, it happens), you can have it professionally painted, so it's like new again... for awhile. :sick:
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Most Hyundai's don't have the little door. Lot's of other cars don't have them either. I'm with you, the first time I noticed it on a car I went straight to the dealer. Checked a half-dozen new cars, none of them had it. Never really understood what it was for, anyway??? Woudn't keep water out in the rain without a cap, and the only thing I could come up with was it keeping some of the gas from sloshing out if you drove without a cap.

Beats me. I know my '05 Elantra was the first one I noticed it not there.
    Get a bumper sticker that says "I love my grandchildren" or "Support our troops"
  • bez5bez5 Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Why doesnt the owners manual or maintenance log say anything about the spark plugs? How many miles until they are supposed to be maintianed/ changed?
  • bez5bez5 Posts: 3
    What highway and city speed will achieve the best MPG for the SE? For example, is there a range for each transmission speed that will allow the engine to work most efficiently?
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,235
    I thought the insert was meant to cut down on fumes escaping the tank.

FWIW my '10 Outlander doesn't have one either but my '99 Galant did. Maybe it's a way to shave off an ounce of weight & save 45 cents on production.
  • keyman2keyman2 Posts: 78
    Hi
    Can you ask them about the horn replacement?and steering problems?
    Thanks
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe nobody knows what the little flap was for. If I am referring to the same thing I think you are it was a restricter so that "leaded" fuel could not be pumped into the tank of a then new "unleaded only" car. You see back then leaded fuel was still sold along side the newfangled unleaded and the nozzle for the leaded pump was thicker than the thin nozzle for unleaded. The restricter was meant to keep leaded fuel from being accidentally pumped into an unleaded cars tank. This, of course would destroy the catylitic converter in short order. This was from about 1975 or 76 on until I guess automakers finally realized no leaded pumps still exist in the USA and discontinued installing them. I never noticed though. God, I must be getting old!!!
    any person buying any car in any price range is driving the "newest hottest," etc.. for only a few months until another company comes out with something new.. or for that matter the same company updating its model..WE all get caught in a competitive ego driven mentality, that what we buy, Honda, Hyundai, Acura, Lexus.. etc.. will always be the most coveted desired car in automotive history..Give it up guys! Enjoy your car no matter what brand or model.. life is too short to get manic over a hunk of metal that rusts over time. Its as good as it is the momnent you buy it... and after that , youre AWLAYS competing with next years models! Honestly? We should all be spending l;ess time here obsessing over minutae... and out in our new Sonatas.. enjoying a nice long drive in the mountains! Enjoy your cars.. and your weekend!
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    It does. It is under normal maintenance, page 7-13 at 105,000 miles.
  • mccallrmccallr Posts: 19
    I just purchased a 2011 Sonata 2 days ago and I believe the manual stated the plugs have an interval of 105K miles. It was definitely over 100K.
    I have found this: at 65-75 mph.. if you are light on the gas pedal just to maintain speed withoiut many quick passses..you can get about 33-35 mpg..If you can drop your speed to 55-65 mph.. your milage will go up considerably... This is difficult of course becasuse at 55 everyone is either tailgating honking so you eithe rhave to speed up.. or pass lowering yopur mpg... use your "auto pilot" whenever possible!
  • mccallrmccallr Posts: 19
    I just purchased a 2011 Sonata 6-speed Automatic and was wondering if anyone uses the Shiftronic transmission (that +/- mode) to actually increase their MPG? I realize that most people would use it to increase acceleration (less MPG) but assume that you can also force it to shift higher whenever the tach gets to 2K, thereby increasing MPG? Just curious. I've only driven the car 100 miles and I've been accelerating a lot faster than I would normally to try and keep the tach in the 2-4K range (as suggested by the manual during the first 600 miles). When I noticed the +/- mode (didn't know the car even had that), I started keeping it in a lower gear to keep the tach between 2-3K. My car had 400 miles on it when I bought it (they got it from a dealer in SC and I live in GA) so I'm hoping they at least varied their speed on the highway. I'm not sure how important keeping the tach between 2-4K is during the break-in period.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    You know what? You are dead right. I had forgotten about that. You used to be able to buy a little plastic adapter to put on the end of a leaded nozzle to taper it down to move the door aside.

Wow. Forgot all about that. Must be getting old, too. :cry:
    The first big nick or ding on a new car is always hard to take. After awhile, you usually just stop noticing them - otherwise, they'll drive you nuts or broke. Best bet is to try the touch-up paint so that you don't notice it until you're up close, or squint when you get too close. :)

I wasn't old enough to drive then, but I sure remember my dad pulling up to filling stations (all full service) and saying, "fill 'er up with regular."
    I've tried to shove a diesel nozzle into my vehicle before... I'd almost certainly have been a victim of my own idiocy if they still had leaded gas and nothing to prevent me using it.