Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• petdogdfwpetdogdfw Posts: 26
    Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your Sonata. I have had my 2011 Limited almost a year now and had some problems too. Luckily I have been able to get all resolved after multiple trips to the dealership.

One ongoing problem that I had with my Sonata was the rattles in the glove box and upper right dash. There was a TSB issued concerning the glovebox. Basically this involved adding some two way tape on the sides of the glovebox. This did not solve my rattle problem. In fact my car's rattle sounded like the car was coming apart.

After 4 visits, I finally insisted that the dealership contact Hyundai to get this resolved. After a few weeks, an engineer was able to check out my car and found out that the hood was not mounted properly at the factory. The hinge on the righ (passenger side) was not alligned and so my car made creaking, rattling, groaning noises like it was not put together well. In order to fix this, they had to remove the hood, and part of the cover, not sure what it is called, located in the engine compartment near the windshield. Once this was done, I have not had any further problems.

I also had issues with weak spots in the leater seating in the right front pax seat and back seat. New leather was ordered and those bad areas were replaced.

So far, everything is fine now with the car. Luckily I have not experienced the left pull problems that so many others have reported. I would definately suggest that Hyundai Corp be involved if the dealership cannot repair the vehicle properly.

Good Luck.
  • golfman10golfman10 Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    Call from dealer today, said they thought it may be the crankshaft. They are ordering a new short block today. Probably will be here in about a week. This is ridiculus. They did give me a loaner. Do I have any recourse?
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    What type of recourse are you looking to receive? Yes, inconvenient to a degree, but you have a loaner so you are not walking nor paying for a rental, yes? And such news is disappointing on a new car, right? but the good news is Hyundai is fixing it free of charge and presumably without hassle to you. You COULD buy a Honda Civic but...ooops they have a potential issue with cracked engine blocks (model years 2006-to at least 2008) and Honda Of America made the owners of those cars affected with this engineering or casting flaw PAY various percentages of the total bill to entirely replace the engine. This bill is routinely over $5000 and the amount you paid was dependent on several factors e.g. whether or not you totally and religiously adhered to the services recommended by H.O.A. and printed in the owners manual AT a Honda dealership......mileage although the flaw typically took time/mileage to finally show up.....how much you bitched and moaned and hounded the dealer and/or Honda Of America corporate...made loud public statements decrying the Honda "quality" banner and more. It should be understood that this flaw is inherent in certain blocks Honda cast over, not one, not two but at least three model years. Hows that for a quick investigation of problems and a quick fix? I know this because Honda finally sent me (an owner of a 2006 Civic EX sedan bought new) an extended (by two years and unlimited mileage) engine warranty extension. I received this notice in December 2010 fully 4+ years after this became known. So, buy a Honda if you think they are better but I can tell you they are not and it seems they are harder to deal with once a widespread problem becomes known.
  • alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    Golfman is complaing about a car that is under the warranty, whereas your situation was that Civic was out of warranty. You are still upset despite Honda extending the warranty on your car? As general rule every car manufacturer will fight any claims out of warranty, since the cost implication is not just your car but millions in claims. Asking for service record is standard procedure.

I am also Honda Accord owner whose transmission conked out at 70k and it was out of warranty, but Honda agreed to pay $2,400 and I paid $1,200. At that time I was mad as hell but realized that at least they helped me out, Toyota on other hand would NOT replace a $5 latch when my Camry was a month out of warranty. Honda does make reliable cars and every major brand will have percentage of cars with flaws and as consumer all you can do is buy a well rated car with good warranty.

I like the Hyundai Sonata and its excellent warranty, except the 2011 Sonata is intro model and I will wait for 2012 for flaws to be weeded out.
  • golfman10golfman10 Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    Not only is the car still under warranty at 1500 miles, it is reasonable to assume the problem existed when the care was purchased since it happened the first time I accelerated hard and the car downshifted ok but would not upshift and stalled. There would seem to be a difference between selling a car with a defect and a defect occurring later during the warranty period. I never had to accelerate in that manner prior to the problem becoming apparent. Yeah you are right I'm not walking and I appreciate the loaner even though I would rather be driving the car I bought and not making multiple trips to the dealer. I suppose you could argue that I should have done a hard acceleration test before buying the car but I broke the car in IAW the owners manual. I argue that Hyundai should have tested the engine prior to shipping it to the dealer. I am pissed and really don't really care about anyones past Honda problems right now. Sorry
  • "9.7-3.4 decible"?

Silly person, those comparisons were for interior volume, as in - a measurement of capacity. Not decibel levels. You think the Sonata's cabin noise reaches 120 decibels?!! That's almost as laughable as your ridiculous left pull "fix". Now, resume being your usual ridiculously laughable self...or, you can start making sense.
  • I finally got it to work about a month ago. I thad to do wiht my browser and cookies,etc,etc but now it is fine and what a great thing to be able to access things without paying for the book. There is alot of stuff not on it but it is good enough for the purpose/-Thanks
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    There are two misconceptions that need to be corrected, first my car did not exhibit the flawed block/crack (yet!) and second, my car has 33K miles and was at the time of the receipt of the extended warranty still covered by the original drivetrain warranty. NO I am not upset that Honda extended the engine warranty why would I be? Actually, I'm not upset at all only trying to point out how much trouble it was for Civic owners to get any equity for their troubles. That it took owners whose cars did have that problem hours of frustration trying to deal with not only broken undriveable cars that, by all accounts, were relatively new and still being paid off. Faced with a $4000 (+/-) repair bill on said car AND intractable people at Honda Of America and the dealerships (who have to clear everything with H.O.A. as do all dealers). This particular problem was entirely Honda's fault from the start and to make customers jump through hoops, provide proof that all scheduled maintenance was done at the dealerships and if not...sorry bud! Honda subsidized some of the repair costs for some of the owners, all of the repair costs for others, and none of it for still others depending on how loud you could scream, how much fuss you created at the dealer, how much paperwork you could provide showing the scheduled maintenance was done (which by the way had absolutely nothing to do with an engineering or casting flaw). Finally, while Honda eventually did issue this extended warranty it took 4 years, and 3 model years. That said, my point was and continues to be this, Hyundai has at the very least a loaner car provision thereby relieving the owner who may have to wait days/weeks? to get their car back, Honda customers with this problem, for the most part, had to rent cars. And having personally owned two Hyundai products (2002-03 Santa Fe), plus several others in the family I have found them (Hyundai) to be fairly quick and relatively painless to work with when issues like the original posters come up while in my example Honda was a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] the whole way. Yeah, I know there will always be those who would take issue with this contrast of Honda/Hyundai but that is how I see it.
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Does your daddy know that you're using his computer, little fella?

Given that this is your first post, one would think that you would try harder to make a good impression.
  • keyman2keyman2 Posts: 78
    I'm hopefully buying my Hyundai Sonata SE 2.OT next month and someone said to go to Huntington Hyundai there really good.I was going to Atlantic but there new owners now and the person I liked left.It's been so long for me to buy a Sonata only because of a very sick girlfriend.I'm reading about all these steering problems but all cars have some problems.I love the Sonata and I will take a chance.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    If u go to Huntington Hyundai, ask for Bob Awn. Very nice salesman.
    Their Service Dept is the best on the East Coast. I've been dealing with them for over 10yrs. Good Luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    If you have questions, please consult our Membership Agreement.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cmj30cmj30 Posts: 1
    Syitalian25, What percentage and film type did you use?!

I have a 2011 black sonata with black interior and I am getting the windows tinted this week

Thank you
  • bshia66bshia66 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2011 Sonata Turbo before I heard of this issue. I experienced the pulling to the left as soon as I drove off the lot. I brought it back to the dealership and it has been there for a couple days now. The service department said they performed an alignment and an adjustment, but it still pulled to the left. They talked to Hyundai and Hyundai claimed that it needed a new front strut with the proper pitch. This all sounds like it should be a recall to me.
  • buzzy8buzzy8 Posts: 31
    Here is a link to a 41 page discussion regarding the ongoing issue on hyundaiforums.com

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=54868&pid=408266&st=700&#entry- 408266
  • rswoodworthrswoodworth Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I also have a 2011 Turbo SE that started to pull left but it wasn't until I had 5000 miles on it. I did notice a slight drift left but just discounted it as the
    road or slight alignment setting. But now it will change lanes at highway speeds in a few car lengths. HOWEVER, no one on this forum as said anything about brakes being at fault. I was on a right turn on ramp, road slanted to the right, and the car still wanted to drift left! When I applied the brakes it pulled LEFT even more! As if the left caliper was grabbing more, sooner, or the right brake wasn't coming on! Take your pick, causing the left pull. If the brakes are faulty, even at highway cruise, the dragging caliper will cause a pull. That's what I'm looking at when I take it to the dealer! Anyone else notice this? Also there are probably more complaints but not everyone is posting here.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    A caliper on any vehicle that is dragging hard enough to cause the pull you describe would in short order warp the rotor and literally burn up the brake pads. You would smell it every time you got out of the car.

That being said, any pull caused by alignment, tires, etc. is exacerbated by applying the brakes. In other words, if a vehicle is pulling, braking will make it worse, in some conditions a LOT worse.
  • bshmidtbshmidt Posts: 3
    Guys,

Can you share the differences between SE turbo with the nav package vs limited without nav package.

In reality i see only difference is leather/non leather. IS there anything else
  • Not only is the car still under warranty at 1500 miles, it is reasonable to assume the problem existed when the care was purchased since it happened the first time I accelerated hard and the car downshifted ok but would not upshift and stalled. There would seem to be a difference between selling a car with a defect and a defect occurring later during the warranty period. I never had to accelerate in that manner prior to the problem becoming apparent. Yeah you are right I'm not walking and I appreciate the loaner even though I would rather be driving the car I bought and not making multiple trips to the dealer. I suppose you could argue that I should have done a hard acceleration test before buying the car but I broke the car in IAW the owners manual. I argue that Hyundai should have tested the engine prior to shipping it to the dealer. I am pissed and really don't really care about anyones past Honda problems right now. Sorry
  • there are a few things . . . side miorror turn signals, leather and heated seats, rear vents for heat/air, auto dimming mirroe with compass is standard and the limited without nav has a 6-disc. Those would be all the differences!
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    The Limited w/nav also has the backup camera, which the SE w/nav does not.
  • gofalconsgofalcons Posts: 13
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone experience seat discomfort? i recently bought preowned 2011 GLS cloth seats, 14000 miles, and find the seats to be uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. Any solutions? Will Hyundai do anything to fix this?
    Also, I have sony mp3 player, the stereo will not read the player, or sometimes it does but shuts off in middle of song, trying to read usb. Is there a known problem with connection? I do not have the cable supplied by Hyundai. Do i need it to make it work?
  • rysterryster Posts: 480
    Seat comfort is not the best with the 2011 Sonata. I have become used to the seats, but it took a few months.

The USB input is not 100% compatible with all players. Hyundai offers an iPod cable, but for any other mp3 player a standard usb cable should suffice. Refer to page 4-116 of the manual for specific USB device requirements:

• To use an external USB device,
    make sure the device is not connected
    when starting up the vehicle.
    Connect the device after
    starting up.
    • If you start the engine when the
    USB device is connected, it may
    damage the USB device. (USB
    flashdrives are very sensitive to
    electric shock.)
    • If the engine is started up or
    turned off while the external USB
    device is connected, the external
    USB device may not work.
    • It may not play inauthentic MP3 or
    WMA files.
    1) It can only play MP3 files with
    the compression rate between
    8Kbps~320Kbps.
    2) It can only play WMA music
    files with the compression rate
    between 8Kbps~320Kbps.
    • Take precautions for static electricity
    when connecting or disconnecting
    the external USB device.
    • An encoded MP3 PLAYER is not
    recognizable.
    • Depending on the condition of
    the external USB device, the connected
    external USB device can
    be unrecognizable.
    • When the formatted byte/sector
    setting of External USB devices is
    not either 512BYTE or 2048BYTE,
    then the device will not be recognized.
    • Use only a USB device formatted
    to FAT 12/16/32.
    • USB devices without USB I/F
    authentication may not be recognizable.
    • Make sure the USB connection
    terminal does not come in contact
    the human body or other objects.
    • If you repeatedly mounting and
    unmounting the USB device in a
    short period of time, it may breakthe
    device.
    • You may hear a strange noise
    when connecting or disconnecting
    a USB device.
    • If you disconnect the external USB
    device during playback in USB
    mode, the external USB device can
    be damaged or may malfunction.
    Therefore, connect the external
    USB device when the audio is
    turned off or in another mode (e.g,
    Radio, XM or CD).
    • Depending on the type and capacity
    of the external USB device or
    the type of the files stored in the
    device, there is a difference in the
    time taken for recognition of the
    device.
    • Do not use the USB device for purpose
    other than playing music files.
    • Use of USB accessories such as
    rechargers or heaters using USB
    I/F may lower performance or
    cause trouble.
    • If you use devices such as a USB
    hub purchased separately, the
    vehicle’s audio system may not
    recognize the USB device. In that
    case, connect the USB device
    directly to the multimedia terminal
    of the vehicle.
    • If the USB device is divided by
    logical drives, only the music files
    on the highest-priority drive are
    recognized by car audio.
    • Devices such as MP3 Player/
    Cellular phone/Digital camera can
    be unrecognizable by standard
    USB I/F can be unrecognizable.
    • Some non-standard USB devices
    (METAL COVER TYPE USB) can be
    unrecognizable.
    • Some USB flash memory readers
    (such as CF, SD, microSD, etc.) or
    external-HDD type devices can be
    unrecognizable.
    • Music files protected by DRM
    (DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT)
    are not recognizalbe.
    • The data in the USB memory may
    be lost while using this audio.
    Always back up important data on
    a personal storage device.
    • Please avoid using USB memory
    products which can be used as
    key chains or cellular phone
    accessories as they could cause
    damage to the USB jack. Please
    make certain only to use plug type
    connector products
  • pwilliepwillie Posts: 2
    I have been watching this Sonata forum for 6 years without participating. I have a 2006 Sonata Limited with 105 K miles. My most important advice is to buy that extended bumper-to-bumper warranty to 100k. It has been a very satisfying car to own, my favorite.
    Anything I wanted to be replaced was done by my eager dealer, so the warranty more than paid for itself. I paid $900 in the beginning. The parts replacement over the entire life (so far) was not unusual, but to be expected. I also have a policy on my washing machine, and it has paid for itself multiple times. What if the North invades South Korea? All parts would be cut off unless the Hyundai company has been quietly lining up other sources of parts in China, Europe, and the USA. I have asked this question twice to the Hyundai on-line survey, with no response. Imagine an Elantra, Azera, Equus, Accent without a flow of parts from Home !
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,722
    My most important advice is to buy that extended bumper-to-bumper warranty to 100k.

I would hazard to disagree with you. Extended warranties cover cars during what is arguably the most reliable time in a cars life.

Anything I wanted to be replaced was done by my eager dealer, so the warranty more than paid for itself. I paid $900 in the beginning.

Seriously I have owned close to a dozen new cars and bever had anything go rong with any of them that an extended warranty would have covered. I had a 2000 Elantra Station Wagon that went over 175K miles on just routine maintenance, I am hopeful that my new 2011 Sonata does as well.

If you had an extended warranty that paid more in repairs than it cost you are in the minority. Think of it, the provider of the extended warranty would go bankrupt if it paid out more than it took it in. Out of that $900 you paid the company needs to pay out claims, overhead, operating costs and commissions.

What if the North invades South Korea?

I don't think that would happen anytime soon. North Korea simply doesn't have the might.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• pwilliepwillie Posts: 2
    N. Korea does not have the might, but the little dictator has the madness to do it. 25% of the North's population is predicted to be on starvation rations this year (last week's press release).

My extended warranty paid for door lock replacement, window roll-up replacement, both front struts, front rubber bushings above and below to stop squeaks, auto a c repair, windshield washer repair, shift interlock solenoid. That is more than $900, but I do not have receipts to prove it.

The powertrain warranty paid for throttle body replacement and leaky oil gasket. I paid for sewing up my frayed leather drivers seat at 95K.

At 105K, I paid $360 for spark-plug change. Each plug costs 17.77, NGK IR, IFR5G-11. I also paid $320 for a second throttle body replacement, FP 35100-3C200. Also at 105 K, I replaced rear brakes for $140. Front brakes were replaced at 96K.

Lack of power and damage in Japan will demonstrate to all what a disaster can do to an auto industry, including american assembly lines.

I have had a lot of vehicles in my 70 years, but they were American. They all had severe problems around 70 to 80K, such as Transmissions, oil pumps and timing chains, so they were replaced as unreliable.

I see one cannot make statements in this forum without backing them up. People react emotionally. That is why this additional statement was offered to you.
  • samm43samm43 Posts: 195
    I wonder if I am the only one who was thinking that there were some excessive repairs for a car in that number of miles? (I'm not referring to wear or maintenance items). No wonder you appreciated that you bought the extended warranty. The 3rd throttle body surprised me the most.
    Sorry you had to have all that trouble with it though. Even if repairs are covered without question, it is still a big inconvenience dealing with them each time.

Sam
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,722
    Sounds like you had a lot of stuff done on that car. Seems like way to much for one car under the 100-125 mile range. I have taken may cars well beyound 125K miles with little more than routine maintenance and replacing wear and tear items.

But the fact is most cars will need less in repair costs than an extended warranty costs. If not offering extended warrantees would be a losing proposition. Granted there will be the occasional car that covered repais will be more than the cost, but thats the exception rather than the rule.

In short if an extended warranty costs $1000 you can bet that the average car for that make and model will incure less than $500 in covered repairs. Those are odds that only a Keno player would love.

As for North Koria, if they start anything there would be limited interruption as they would quickly be pushed back.

Now thats all I will say for this as it is off topic.

Back to Sonatas. I got one a month or so ago and loving it (or at least she who must be obeyed is loving it).

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• gofalconsgofalcons Posts: 13
    Doesnt anyone have problems with their seat like i am? My hips, butt, and hamstring are so sore everyday after driving. The dealer service manager looked at the seat, compared it to another vehicle, said its normal. I seriously think there is something wrong with the seat. The dealer didnt take the seat out of the car, he just looked at it!! What the...? I contacted Hyundai, said " sorry about your frustration with the seat, thanks for contacting, we will forward your case to department responsible for future changes" I think they should at least pay the dealer to fully inspect the seat. Opinions anyone?