Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• flyboy21flyboy21 Posts: 7
    The pull left issue keep popping up. I Googled it and came up with a possible fix. The fix for one individual was to replace the Hankook tires. Google radial pull tires or radial steer tires or Hankook tires pull. The customer had his old tires checked at the dealers on a Road Force Balance machine and the machine identified 2 tires that were bad and needed to be replaced. Four new tires were check on the RFB machine and matched to the wheel and identified as to what location to have them place on the car.
    This has fixed his pull problem. There are 5 new 2011 Sonata in the family and no one is having a pulling issue. They range in mileage from less than 1000 to almost 20,000. I have had mine since May 2011 with no problems.
    These car have been made since Dec. 2009 so while they are 2011 models they are into the second year of production.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    Myself and several of my friends have 2011 Sonatas and We have not experienced that problem. Today I had my 1st yr NY inspection and my service mgr said it is not a problem they have experienced to date and they have sold many Sonatas.
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    I got my 2011 Limited in April of 2010 and I have had no steering problems at all. My car was made in March of 2010.
  • sporky944sporky944 Posts: 2
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this pulling issue. Often it IS the tires. I have had a similar problem on a pickup that cured itself when the tires finally wore out and I got a different brand. Some vehicles steering geometry are just very sensitive to tires. In my case it also was the OEM tires that were the culprit. Years later I tried a different brand and they too caused dramatic pulling. I swapped to a better 10 ply tire ( I am heavily loaded) and my Ram drives down the interstate with no hands its so good, even at 8 years old.

Meanwhile I will wait to read of this problem being resolved before considering a Sonata. I think they use kUMHO or Hankook tires, which would cause me to suspect the tires right away.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,815
    Have Kumho's on the kids Accent and they have been perfect & track straight down the road & on the highway when I've gotten it up to almost 80...the tread looks like a certain Michelin tire I've seen. With 10k on the clock, we're very satisfied.

But any brand can have a problem. I have Fuzion HR's on my Civic, made by Bridgestone, and we had to replace a couple of them due to a radial pull...the car pulled to the right within seconds. After a few location swaps, it was decided to start replacing tires & they did get it right. The point I'm trying to make is that any brand of tire can have a problem within which makes the car pull in either direction...it is not brand specific. I've had this same problem with a Toyota Corolla years ago and again, it was due to the tires and they were Bridgestone's.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    edited May 2011
    Actually both Hankook and Kumho make very good tires and I speak from experience on Kumho's having had two sets of four on my Dodge Stratus. The first set was everything I wanted in tires...quiet, good handling wet or dry, reasonable snow traction and good tread life up to the point at which an alignment problem aggravated by worn front end components caused an earlier than expected demise. Even then they lasted about 55K miles. This second set is also good and at 20K miles look new with the mechanical problems resolved + regular rotations and monitoring tire pressure weekly. I have also read (see Tire Rack.com) that the Hankook brand rates very high as well. Both are good especially since they don't cost a mint as do Michelin. Again I will state that I believe the left pull issue isn't tires or other things but an electronic steering issue.
  • news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/03/2011-hyundai-sonata-steering-update-new-st- rut-similar-alignment-issue.html

According to an April 27 comment by Jeff at the CR link above, Hyundai posted a TSB re: Sonata tracking issues at hmaservice.com as of 4/21/11, but for some reason I cannot register there to access it--

If someone here can track it down, please repost it here?

TIA
    Last year ( May 2010 ) after I got my Limited I went in for an oil change and they ( Hyundai dealer ) told me they had to do a steering software update.
    I have never had a pull left problem with my 2011 Sonata. My car was made in March 2010.
  • nelson1nelson1 Posts: 40
    My new Sonata just turned 1,000 miles. It has Kumho 215x55x17 tires. I love the car, no pulling to the side, great steering, 39MPG on the highway, but it is LOUD on the road. These are the noisiest tires that I have ever had on any car, yet. Does anyone have any idea how to quieten it down? I have tried varying the tire pressure, but I have noticed no improvement. Right now, I have 33psi in the front, and 27 in the rear.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Only way to quieten down is to replace tires. I had set of Kumho Solus KR21 on my Grand Caravan and they are very quiet tires. You may have trouble due to fact that your car is riding on low profile tires, but with some reseach you should be able to find a set that's a little more quiet. Good luck.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    I'm surprised the TPS hasn't provided a warning for low tire pressure. 27lbs is much too low.
    The TPS NEVER came on, even when I picked up my car at the Dealer. When I got home, I checked the air pressure, and each tire had 23psi. I never saw it come on. I will report that to the dealer on Monday, when I take it in to have them check the tires for noise.
  • rysterryster Posts: 528
    I have a 2011 GLS, now with 14,300 miles. Over the past year I have noticed the interior getting noisier and noisier. When new it was very composed. Some light road noise, but nothing major. Now it is a whole different story. Just plain noisy on anything other than pristine, freshly paved asphalt.

I keep the tires between 34-35psi. I have started to notice the rear has a distinct oscillating "thrum" noise when driving over 40mph. No vibration or anything, just a constant "thrum-thrum-thrum-thrum". Could be a wheel bearing failing or could just be the tires...not really sure at this point. The car is just noisy.

Another indicator that it is getting noisier is that I used to keep the stereo volume at "9", but over the past few weeks have needed to use "10" or "11" to clearly hear radio programs over the road noise. Also needed to increase the Bluetooth volume to hear phone calls.

If I end up keeping the car much longer, I may have the dealer look into it. Based on the current list of issues I have with the car, it would take the dealer a week to sort through it all (the dealer has already said the one problem I have will require complete removal of the dash to fix)....might as well add the rear tire/wheel noise to the list. :cry:
  • engbertengbert Posts: 9
    edited May 2011
    The 2011 Sonata has a little lever on the lock inside the trunk which makes it impossible to open the trunk without using the mechanical key. The electronic part of the key can thus be used as a valet key, and cannot be used to open the trunk.

I have looked at several other cars recently, including some much more expensive. I have found none so far which offer any way of securing the trunk from anyone who has access to the cabin. Older cars often have some way of doing this.

I think this little item does not get enough publicity.

I think this
  • riverman97riverman97 Posts: 1
    Bought mine in Dec. I have a leak and was given the same story. I went to the car wash and it leaked even more. Has anyone went through the car wash and had the same problem?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,805
    I saw the switch for that on the latch and while I wondered what it was for I really didn't give it much thought. But when the wife came home just now with the grociecries I tested it out. When in the lock position even the fob will not open it, just the key.

I wish we had that on the rag top.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Most likely tires. Even Michelin had a big problem with this a few years back. I road in a FWD GM that sounded for all the world like a rear wheel bearing going out. Sound completely disappeared with a tire swap.

Don't know exactly what causes this. My Khumo are doing the same thing after 18K of very even wear. I do know that unibody (no separate frame) vehicles of all makes are more prone to this.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited May 2011
    Does the "quality" or "tone" of the sound change depending on pavement type? By that I mean does the sound have a different tonal sound on new vs older asphalt or on concrete? If there is a significant difference depending on pavement type, I would lean more toward tires causing your noise.
    I agree that the tires are probably the culprit. It is a shame that they have become so noisy after only 1yr and 14,300 miles. I would expect noticeably more noise after 30K miles or so, but not this soon.

The OEM Kumhos are wearing very well, although I would probably be inclined to replace them when needed with Michelin Primacy MXV4. The Michelins are the same price as the OEM Kumho at Tire Rack.
    The oscillating thrumming noise is always present, just louder at higher speeds. The tires are getting rotated this morning. It will be interesting to see if the thrumming moves up front or stays in the back.

The tire noise itself does vary depending on road surface. Fresh asphalt there is very muted tire noise. Old asphalt, concrete, or grated surfaces the tires are super noisy.
    Follow up on my previous msg. on my noisy tires. On May8, I went to Discount Tire, for them to check my Kumho tires. I have almost 1200 miles now. "They asked me if I felt any vibration or pulling. I said no. Then they said, well, its probably the rated B, which is hard compound in the tread that is causing the noise. They did no checking at all. Then, I went to Texan Hyundai, my dealer. They test drove my car, and came back, and said, yes, we hear some noise, but it is not excessisve, just normal. So, I guess I will live with the noise, until I trade this sucker off, or have different tires put on. I also asked the dealer about the down shifting that I feel as I am decellerating. It feels a little rough, as I decellerate below 40mph. I can feel as it downshifts into each gear. I don't like that. The dealer said that was normal, too.
  • datagendatagen Posts: 107
    edited May 2011
    I just purchased a Sonata and I am having a hell of a time getting the weather data service activated. On the radio, the button is there next to the traffic, stocks, and sport buttons, but it is not activated. Sirius tells me the radio is not equip to handle the feature. Yet I see some customers out there whom have purchased the service with no problems.

Is there anyone out there with this issue? I know it is on a 3 months free service but I want to purchase the Weather data feature and for some reason I can not. Anyone out there have this issue or whom have the weather service, please let me know. :cry:
    It should all be free for three months. My weather worked for my free time.
  • hjc1hjc1 Posts: 183
    Does your car have the Nav. system? If it doesn't that could be the reason the weather doesn't work Just a thought.
  • petdogdfwpetdogdfw Posts: 26
    I received a recall update from Hyundai saying I needed to have the steering software updated and also had no steering problems with my car.

After the update the car still drives fine, if not even better.
    The weather features costs extra on top of the Music Subscription from XM Radio.
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    why don't you let somebody else drive it for a week and you take the bus (or switch cars), see if that person develops the same pain and yours go away.

have you seem a doctor, the problem could be in your body? hope this is not the case.

• hjc1hjc1 Posts: 183
    Yes I know this........... I still have about 3 weeks left on my free subscription and the weather works. I have the Nav. system and the weather description changes when I move from one area to another so it must be tied into the Nav. system somehow. If your Sonata doesn't have the Nav. system how would it know how to give you a weather update for your location.................
    To my knowledge you can only receive the weather if you have the navigation and specifically subscribe to that service. Since it uses the navigation to determine your current position, it is able to get the weather "local" to you current location.

The weather feature is really a nice feature, but when I realized how much more it costs, I decided not to renew it in my subscription.