Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• keyman2keyman2 Posts: 78
    Hi
    Can you ask them about the horn replacement?and steering problems?
    Thanks
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe nobody knows what the little flap was for. If I am referring to the same thing I think you are it was a restricter so that "leaded" fuel could not be pumped into the tank of a then new "unleaded only" car. You see back then leaded fuel was still sold along side the newfangled unleaded and the nozzle for the leaded pump was thicker than the thin nozzle for unleaded. The restricter was meant to keep leaded fuel from being accidentally pumped into an unleaded cars tank. This, of course would destroy the catylitic converter in short order. This was from about 1975 or 76 on until I guess automakers finally realized no leaded pumps still exist in the USA and discontinued installing them. I never noticed though. God, I must be getting old!!!
  • toysaxtoysax Posts: 28
    any person buying any car in any price range is driving the "newest hottest," etc.. for only a few months until another company comes out with something new.. or for that matter the same company updating its model..WE all get caught in a competitive ego driven mentality, that what we buy, Honda, Hyundai, Acura, Lexus.. etc.. will always be the most coveted desired car in automotive history..Give it up guys! Enjoy your car no matter what brand or model.. life is too short to get manic over a hunk of metal that rusts over time. Its as good as it is the momnent you buy it... and after that , youre AWLAYS competing with next years models! Honestly? We should all be spending l;ess time here obsessing over minutae... and out in our new Sonatas.. enjoying a nice long drive in the mountains! Enjoy your cars.. and your weekend!
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    It does. It is under normal maintenance, page 7-13 at 105,000 miles.
  • mccallrmccallr Posts: 19
    I just purchased a 2011 Sonata 2 days ago and I believe the manual stated the plugs have an interval of 105K miles. It was definitely over 100K.
  • toysaxtoysax Posts: 28
    I have found this: at 65-75 mph.. if you are light on the gas pedal just to maintain speed withoiut many quick passses..you can get about 33-35 mpg..If you can drop your speed to 55-65 mph.. your milage will go up considerably... This is difficult of course becasuse at 55 everyone is either tailgating honking so you eithe rhave to speed up.. or pass lowering yopur mpg... use your "auto pilot" whenever possible!
  • mccallrmccallr Posts: 19
    I just purchased a 2011 Sonata 6-speed Automatic and was wondering if anyone uses the Shiftronic transmission (that +/- mode) to actually increase their MPG? I realize that most people would use it to increase acceleration (less MPG) but assume that you can also force it to shift higher whenever the tach gets to 2K, thereby increasing MPG? Just curious. I've only driven the car 100 miles and I've been accelerating a lot faster than I would normally to try and keep the tach in the 2-4K range (as suggested by the manual during the first 600 miles). When I noticed the +/- mode (didn't know the car even had that), I started keeping it in a lower gear to keep the tach between 2-3K. My car had 400 miles on it when I bought it (they got it from a dealer in SC and I live in GA) so I'm hoping they at least varied their speed on the highway. I'm not sure how important keeping the tach between 2-4K is during the break-in period.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    You know what? You are dead right. I had forgotten about that. You used to be able to buy a little plastic adapter to put on the end of a leaded nozzle to taper it down to move the door aside.

Wow. Forgot all about that. Must be getting old, too. :cry:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    The first big nick or ding on a new car is always hard to take. After awhile, you usually just stop noticing them - otherwise, they'll drive you nuts or broke. Best bet is to try the touch-up paint so that you don't notice it until you're up close, or squint when you get too close. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    I wasn't old enough to drive then, but I sure remember my dad pulling up to filling stations (all full service) and saying, "fill 'er up with regular."
    I've tried to shove a diesel nozzle into my vehicle before... I'd almost certainly have been a victim of my own idiocy if they still had leaded gas and nothing to prevent me using it.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hmma007hmma007 Posts: 19
    Lashawn, do you know which tour group/time you'll be here?
    James Bond
  • noway6noway6 Posts: 6
    I agree with you. However, there is nothing wrong with buying the 'newest, hottest". :) I think new Sonata is still the cheapest one out there. You can buy a 2011 Sonata any trim under invoice today (I'm in the NE market). Also, the demand for regular engine models could be weaken (price could drop) once the new turbo and hybrid models are out. I'm only concerned about first year model bugs.
  • ewg54ewg54 Posts: 25
    edited July 2010
    I have been playing with this (experimenting) and notice that when it is in shiftronic it trully is manual. will not down shift or up shift unless you push it. So I think that you would be able to keep the tach whereever you want it. I use this feature now for passing, as you dont have to mash the pedal down to floor to hit passing gear. As soon as you put it in shiftronic it shows one gear down usally 5. then step on gas pass the Ford F150 and then put it back over to "D". Break in was a bigger deal in the old days as they used certain oil and such. But with closer engine tolerances in today's engines makes it a lot easier.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    I'm guessing right around 2000 RPM in top gear should give you the best mileage.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Tour time is at 9:30am.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Posts: 205
    edited July 2010
    I was really hoping Hyundai was truly at the same level as Honda, Toyota, Subaru and some others in term so quality, but after seeing the credible reports from owners with new, low mile 2011 Sonatas post problem with the steering, fuel system, rough idle (and noisy motor probably due to DI), air conditioning failures, assorted rattles and other maladies, I'm seriously doubting that there close to achieving their goal of parity with the Japanese and even some domestic manufacturers.

Again, although I do not currently own a Hyundai (though I did consider buying a Sonata at one time), I am only restating the claims I've heard here (including a video of the steering issue posted by mommyt) and a few other Hyundai oriented forums elsewhere.

Maybe these issues are first year teething problems, and let's hope that Hyundai gets them resolved quickly.

One last thing - Consumer Reports complained about the levels of noise in the 2011 Sonata, including road noise.

I am rooting for Hyundai, because anything that increases competition helps consumers, although I personally believe they've raised their prices too much now, giving an edge back to Honda and Toyota, since Honda and Toyota (even withe pedal issue) are rock solid reliability wise.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,685
    I was really hoping Hyundai was truly at the same level as Honda, Toyota, Subaru and some others in term so quality, but after seeing the credible reports from owners with new, low mile 2011 Sonatas post problem ...

Hate to tell you this but owners of "Honda, Toyota, Subaru and some others" also post credible reports of problems. So I guess Hyundai is truly on the same quality level.

I owned a 2000 Elantra wagon and put about 180K miles on it and it was the most trouble free car that I ever owned. I currently own a 2002 Accent with about 135K miles that has been trouble free. Both cars have been far more reliable than my sisters Toyota or some of my friends that own Hondas.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• schdyschdy Posts: 233
    I am rooting for Hyundai, because anything that increases competition helps consumers, although I personally believe they've raised their prices too much now, giving an edge back to Honda and Toyota, since Honda and Toyota (even withe pedal issue) are rock solid reliability wise.

I don't believe you are rooting for Hyundai!

And if you look at the number of recalls in the past 2 yrs Toyota and Honda way outnumber Hyundai.
    Mommyt's steering problem has been proven to be a non issue!
    None of us have said the 2011 Sonata is the perfect car. However if you look at the owners ratings you will find that 9.5 out of 10 are very happy with their purchase.
    Stop knocking Hyundai and go purchase what pleases you. None of us here are advocating that you should only buy a Hyundai. If you do then I will entertain listening to your complaints but untill then stop quoting other complaints that you have no experience with nor can you prove they are owners of the 2011 Sonata.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    Why don't you look at some real facts. Go here and look at 2008 Sonata (only goes that high) and 2010 Accord and 2010 Camry. Here are real owner complaints not anyone who doesn't own a car but likes to post a negative comment!

http://www.carcomplaints.com/
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    bells and wistles are nice , but....road noise was very obvious ....no longer considering.