Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• schdyschdy Posts: 233
    edited July 2010
    I can tell you that I joined this Forum because I own a 2011 Sonata and I am interested in new ideas and possible flaws that I should be aware of. It was this Forum that enabled me to purchase mud guards for a reasonable price as a result of another poster. I didn't think this Forum was intended to defend my purchase. Somewhere along the line the good intentions of this Forum have been distorted from helping co owners and providing potential buyers with pros and cons as reported by real owners to assist others in making their decision. Maybe we should start over with those intentions and post info to help Sonata owners in better enjoying their purchase or helping them to resolve their experienced problems.
    I don't believe this Forum is a place for Sonata bashers. Negative info about the car from non owners is not helpfull to any of us trying to share new experiences and make improvements to our cars.
    Just my opinion!
    P.S. When I came home with my new Sonata my son-in-law commented "with all your money you bought a Hyundai"
    I received a similar comment when I bought my 1977 Honda Accord and look how far they have come since 1977. I think it's time Hyundai receives the recognition it rightfuly deserves!
  • Well said...I totally agree with you.
    Do yourself a favor and join the http://www.hyundai-forums.com - there is a group for the 2011 5G Sonata. Much more beneficial - actual owners on that site. Very helpful..
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,892
    edited July 2010
    I think it's time Hyundai receives the recognition it rightfuly deserves!

I totally agree with you on the above. My daughter owned an Elantra once and loved it and may have still been driving a Hyundai if she hadn't gotten a company car.

However, I just don't think it's your job to determine what should and what shouldn't be posted here. Nor do I think this forum has a big sign that says "For Sonata Owners Only" on it. People visit these forums for many different reasons. Some of them might not jive with your particular reasons for being here. Many people, maybe even most, visit these forums to make a buying decision so cons are just as important as pros. That's why I visit here. I am considering a Sonata or Optima turbo in the future among other cars and I like to hear of likes and dislikes that I should look out for when I extensively start to test drives these cars. Even if they are anomolies they are important to know about and track for future reference.

People that read auto writer reviews and stuff like that and post info from them on here are just as helpful as an owner might be in distributing information about the car. If they post nothing but negative stuff that is their perogative but people get to know them pretty fast and dismiss them.

Like the previous poster said, there are forums out that are pretty much for current owners. This is just not one of them. I'm not sure Edmunds even has forums of that nature because there are many other forums that are strictly for owners or for people that want to read info only from owners. I have nothing against them at as I read some of them too but that's just not what these forums are about unless I'm totally confused about them.

Honestly, go into some of the other cars and brand forums here on Edmunds. You just don't see people posting that only owners should be allowed to post in them. That's why it seems so strange that many people on this particular forum seem to want to stifle certain posters. I just don't understand it.
    edited July 2010
    Somewhere along the line the good intentions of this Forum have been distorted from helping co owners and providing potential buyers with pros and cons as reported by real owners to assist others in making their decision.
    Above is a sentence from my post. I never said only Sonata owners should post nor did I intend it to be my job to establish the rules. We have a Host who is the umpire.
    I just disagree with posters who do not own or really know very little about the car bashing it.I am also interested in the posted cons provided they are real. I spent a lot of time investigating the reported power steering problem only to find I was chasing a wild goose. Even my service mgr thought I was crazy. But because I'm an owner and it sounded like a serious design flaw I was concerned.
    And finaly do you really believe the 9.5 out of 10 raters are mostly Hyundai employees? That was one of the sites I used as a referral which you stated is good for the Forum.
    Thank You for both your comment and your referral. As I said earlier I did get some real good info from this Forum. I purchased mud guards, may purchase the strut bar and I too would like a horn replacement.
    Thanks again!
  • bow45bow45 Posts: 21
    On the 2011 Sonata, Does the audio system have RDS (Radio Data System)?

Thanks in advance.
  • johnwhojohnwho Posts: 19
    I can verify that it is on the "NAV" system radio.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    The allegation is incorrect. Believe it or not, we actually have ways of screening out certain reviews.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    +1. Well said.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    Agreed! I'm not an owner, but I do find this discussion fascinating, and it's very active.

There is no "one perfect car" for everyone, and I think people who stress that any car is without a downside, or dismiss negative comments about the vehicle, are actually doing more harm than good for the model under discussion. Satisfied owners and enthusiasts are great, but when we dismiss comments or call "troll" on anyone who doesn't agree 100%, that's not cool.

I know that the next vehicle I purchase won't be perfect. I'm OK with that. I also like that these forums are places where anyone can hang out, talk about the vehicle, and get information. It's also nice that people here are so helpful to those arriving here with questions!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

This is from our Host:
    The allegation is incorrect. Believe it or not, we actually have ways of screening out certain reviews.

Do you disagree with her also?
    edited July 2010
    I also like that these forums are places where anyone can hang out, talk about the vehicle, and get information.

Do you really think for anyone (a non owner or someone with no first hand knowledge of the car or maybe even a competitor) bashing the car is helpfull to someone who may be interested in purchasing the car . Sorry but I disagree!

I being straight can you imagine how much help I would be to a Gay Forum. How about an Atheist participating in a Catholic Forum. Just examples to get my point across.
    Look at your mouse. Chances are that it has a little scroll wheel on top. Use that to scroll past the posts that you think unfairly "bash" (whatever that means) the Sonata.

That's what I do to keep my sanity, & I've been an Edmunds member since 1998.
    edited July 2010
    I know how to do as you said but how about the new member who joined to get information in preparation of buying the car. Being misled by ficticious bashers is no help to them and being a member of a Forum I believe there should be a checks and balance to assure they don't get erroneous info from us. Sure as owners we may be biased but they know we are owners and can do with the info whatever they like. But if I'm a Honda dealer and I bash the car and they have no knowledge of my bias, are they getting benefit from this Forum?
    Example: I'm a Verizon dealer and I post on the Sprint Forum all the problems I'm having with Sprint and another large number of posters do the same. If you were planning on buying a cellphone is it possible we may influence your decision to avoid Sprint?
    I know your intentions were positive but I was raised and worked all my life helping the less fortunate. It hurts me to see someone being provided with deceptive information. So scrolling my mouse will alleviate my problem but what about the people I'm suppose to be helping here.
  • mccallrmccallr Posts: 19
    I've only had my 2011 Sonata for about 4 days, but noticed that everytime I turn on my radio, it downloads my cell's phonebook. At first, I thought this was awesome, but now I would rather it not download it unless I want it to since you can't make a call during the download. Has anyone figured out how to have the car's bluetooth "On" and the cell phone's bluetooth "On" but NOT have the car download the phonebook everytime I get into the car and turn on the radio?
    I did delete about 50 old entries in my cell's phonebook so the download process only takes about 2-3 minutes, but I'd still like to be able to get into the car and call someone (using the car's bluetooth feature) without having to wait for the download.
    So scrolling my mouse will alleviate my problem but what about the people I'm suppose to be helping here.

Don't worry about them. They're not your problem. Sooner or later, they'll find what they're looking for - if not here, then somewhere else.

You're here for your own entertainment & education - not to help anyone else.

I don't know how much experience you have with this stuff, but I've been online since the 1980s, back when the only way to get online was to subscribe to proprietary services like CompuServe (better known as CI$ to those of us who paid their outrageous hourly charges) & GEnie (my personal favorite). I've seen people go absolutely ballistic while arguing about word processing software - yes, word processors - & I've learned to shrug this stuff off.

I'm not here to help you. I'm here because it's too hot & muggy to go outside & it's too early to start drinking. If I actually post something that you find useful, I'm glad, but that's not why I'm here. I'm really here to entertain & amuse myself.

Your online experience will greatly improve once you learn to ignore or laugh at the stuff that bothers you.

As always, my advice is worth exactly what I'm charging for it.
  • mccallrmccallr Posts: 19
    I love listening to the Sonata's XM radio (free for 90 days) and was wondering if anyone extended their subscription. Since I can't look at the back of the radio, and didn't notice anything about a serial number in the thick owner's manual, was there supposed to be a card or something in the glove box which provides the info for the XM satellite people? I'm assuming my XM radio won't work 90 days after I purchased the car. Also, if you extend the subscription, do you get the rest of the year or a full 12 months when you extend? Thanks.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,892
    edited July 2010
    You're here for your own entertainment & education - not to help anyone else.

Appreciate the +1 and same to you. However, people have many different reasons to be on here. Your's obviously is the least stressful. But if others want to help others that is perfectly all right, in fact, it's very neighborly of them. It's how they "help" that bothers me. You hit it on the head....just scroll past. I've been reading this forum since the first post and to tell you the truth I have not seen any non-owner bashing the Sonata. A couple of owners had some pretty heavy complaints and one went a little overboard but that was an owner that had a very emotional experience and went a little ditsy.

The only non-owner that posts fairly regularly simply references review points from auto writers that aren't favorable to the Sonata and it drives a lot of the owners crazy. I haven't seen where he has lied or made up anything, it's just negative stuff that are in print or from other owners. While I "scroll past" pretty much, I think he provides just as good as information as other people that have nothing to say except they love their new car and haven't had any problems with it. What's the difference?

Another thing that gets really tiring is when someone doesn't like the new Sonata they have to be Honda employee or some kind of industry plant. Unless someone has proof of that they should just shut up because it makes them appear very paranoid.

People that find and visit these forums are not stupid little puppy dogs that need a guardian angel to look out for them.

Anyway, I would like to know the answer to the bluetooth question in regards to downloading the phonebook. I can see where it would be a little bothersome to have to wait several minutes to make a phone call everytime you enter the car without turning your bluetooth off. It's things like that that are interesting to me as a potential buyer even though it not exactly a positive.
  • hmma007hmma007 Posts: 19
    Go to channel 1 then tune down to channel 0, your radio ID will be displayed.