Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• johnwhojohnwho Posts: 19
    Hyundai has sold around 100k 2011 Sonatas based on what I've read.

It is not surprising that some may have a problem, just as it would not be surprising for some other make/model automobile to have a problem including much more expensive vehicles.

Sorry you are having to deal with it, fish8. However, you are in the middle of diagnosis and hopefully the resolution of the issue.

What I am finding most interesting is what Hyundai will ultimately do regarding this.
  • I certainly cannot blame you for being extremely frustated, This can "sour" a buyer's experience, and I am sure Hyundai is just as anxious as you are to get the problem resolved. I had two Sonatas previous to our 2011 Sonata Limited. We had no previous warranty issues with our other Sonatas, but had to have the turn signal replaced in one of the mirrors in our new one because it was fogging up. I immediately worried about the wisdom of the purchase LOL until it was fixed. All is fine now and we are enjoying the most beautiful Sonata we have owned. The frustration and second-guessing quickly fades once everything is OK.
    I sometimes think as fit and finish improves (as has been the case with Hyundai over the past 15 yrs), and tolerances decrease there is more chance that even a 1/64 of an inch difference in plastic parts or a little burr can cause rubbing of parts and in turn creaking . I can also imagine it would be difficult to detect and may involve trial and error before it is fixed. Good luck, and try not to let this experience
    keep you from ultimately enjoying your new car.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    edited August 2010
    we previously owned a 03 Sonata bought new. While driving the car, the transmission locked up in 2nd (automatic). We slowly drove it to the dealer. It had less than 100 miles. They replaced some sensors. It worked but it did again (5 times total). I must say the dealer was excellent. After contacting acura corporate (the dealer told us to) the transmission was replaced. It had about 4,000 miles. A few months later we traded it in on a 05 elantra GT. We then traded that (had almost 100K miles) for the 2011 sonata. Yes we probably could have gone thru the lemon law but decided not to.
  • Not sure why you guys are so skeptical. Do you think there is no way this can happen to a Sonata?

Sure it can happen to any vehicle. What I am skeptical about is there are only so many things you can tighten, lubricate, insulate or spray on a vehicle to get rid of squeaks and rattles. It seems like your Dealer had your car for quite a long time on more than one occasion, and still can't fix it. You even claim he cracked your windshield. Doesn't sound like a place I would take my car to.

I live in the North East part of the country where we have harsh winters, and years ago when they made cars out of metal we use to undercoat the cars with a tar and rubber substance. They would spray the wheel wells and the under carriage. It not only protected it from the salt but also deadened the road noise. They don't do this any more because they make the panels out of plastic and rubber instead of metal..

Not sure where you live but perhaps some kind of undercoating would solve your problem.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Thanks everyone for your feedback and input.

My car has been in the shop for this issue alone 10 days and including my ac issues almost out 16 days.

Honestly I think the sonata is a good car. I just happen to get a bad one. I could sit back and just live with the noise, but I am not sure that is the proper thing to do. I really think the dealer has no idea what is wrong. For that matter, Hyundai is probably stumped as well. Hope to hear from Hyundai today on what the next steps are.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    By golly, you have stated the biggest problem that so many have these days in their spending habits: You don't NEED XM, but for the right price, you would CHOOSE XM.

Lot of consumers out there in debt trouble because they couldn't tell the difference between NEED and WANT.

Well aren't you judgemental! Sure, there are lots of consumers out there who need to keep their spending habits in alignment with their income. There are also lots who have worked both smart and hard to get ahead in this world, and have now have the fruits of their labor in the form of discretionary income.
    Have u ever looked underneath the sonata? The entire underbody has a greasy oily compound sprayed. I noticed the gas tank and other surrounding parts were covered in the think oily compound. It's very difficult to get it off your hands. If that is for road noise purposes it's not helping my specific issue.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    I've read that undercoating(used to called Ziebarting) of modern cars can actually work against you. Drain holes can be plugged up and actually cause internal rusting of parts that aren't easily seen but can cause major headaches down the road. Most experts seem to recommend not doing this.
  • Have u ever looked underneath the sonata?

No I haven't. I test drove the SE and Limited but never looked underneath them.

You could ask your dealer if this normal but my guess is he wouldn't have a clue.
  • I've read that undercoating (used to called Ziebarting) of modern cars can actually work against you.

Really. I never heard that before. I never heard the term ziebarting before either.

I have heard of Ziebart which is a franchise that specializes in undercoating, window tinting and Rhino truck bed liners. There is a Ziebart franchise not far from my house that has been there for years and seems to be doing ok
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Judgemental? Maybe. Opinionated? Absolutely! :shades:
  • ethandouethandou Posts: 15
    I'm screwed up. My sonata stalled again at the traffic light. I thought the problem might have gone after the dealer found nothing and just reprogrammed the computer. Sorry, no camcorder at the scene. I was tired of adjusting the angle from time to time and it's too hot to leave the camcorder inside the car.

I called the roadside assistance and had my car towed to the dealer. Fortunately, two police officers helped me out of the embarrassing situation. Unfortunately, the towing truck driver started the car when unloading it. Hope still some information or codes left.

I'll call Hyundai to reopen my case. This is really frustrating.
    It does not sound like you're screwed up, sounds like your car is. Sorry for the problems your having.

How many miles on you car?

I just contacted a Leon Law Attorney and hope to hea back from Hyundai Corp ealry next week.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Yeah, I think, in the midwest anyway, the term ziebarting came about because of the all the Ziebart strores and the advertising. I think one of their commercials used to have jingle something like "better get your car ziebarted". Grew up with that so most people just referred to it as "ziebarting".

There stil around in the midwest too but there are just fewer of them of as cars have become so rust resistant and soundproofing from manufacturers has gotten better.

Yes, I've read auto expert columns in newspapers and such many times say it could do more harm than good to have your car undercoated if done improperly and the fact that it really is just not needed anymore. The manufacturers do a pretty good job of doing their own undercoating.

I think Ziebart has probably morphed into doing more rhino liners and stuff like that as their undercoating business dropped.
  • I know this is an old thread, but to keep it updated is a good thing. Last night I called 1-800-XM Radio and asked why "some people have been offered $77. for one year, and I had been offered $164.24 a year in the mailing they sent me". The guy asked me for my radio ID, verified who I was, and promptly offered me the same $77. deal. It came to $88.78 with the royalty fee. The only hitch was the auto renewal at the then-current price for XM Everything. He made it clear that I was free to call before the auto renewal occurs and cancel it. This of course would be the opportunity to re-negotiate a good deal. The guy was in Utah, very pleasant, and spoke my language. All in all a good experience. Lastly, none of the music stations I listen to have commercials. Perhaps some of the non music stations have them?
    I only put about 3000 miles on my car since mid-March purchase.

Besides this problem, I'm confused about the operation of auto-transmission. When the car is slowing down, it shifts too early to smaller gear and causes brake or "hesitation" feeling, which is not good. I don't know if it is normal because I only felt such thing on a rental Jetta and never for my previous car and some other cars I rented.
  • i've had the same problem about 4 times since purchasing my car last april. any insight into what causes this and whether it can be fixed?
    I thought I was alone with bad luck. So far they can't find what's wrong. I hate such random issue.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    My '05 downshifts also--like mimicking and manual shift. That's not a problem, it's a good thing.

I also get a braking feel when in cruise control going down a fairly steep incline. I think the injectors restrict the gasoline flow. Again, it's a good thing. Prior cars could pick up speed 5, 10, 15 MPH, which is not good when there's any traffic or to avoid speeding tickets.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    edited August 2010
    Ziebart & Rusty Jones were both aftermarket "rust proofing" companies. The manufacurers were already undercoating all their cars. Ziebart & Rusty Jones drilled into panels to spray gunk to supposedly stop rust for 5 years.

It was a scam according to a body & fender guy I knew. He said 1) the drilling allowed moisture in to areas where it wouldn't other wise get and 2) their warranty said they would either repair any rust OR refund what you paid them for the product at their option.

Nice deal (for them): "Pay me $500 and I'll rust proof your car for 5 years. If your car does rust, I'll either fix it or give you your money back. And if it doesn't rust I'll just say thanks a lot sucker for your $500."