Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• morganjpmorganjp Posts: 1
    I have 3500 miles on my 2011 Sonota and have found the trunk open 4 times. My dealer's answer to this problem is to lock the trunk manually and always use the key to open it, not the remote or the inside trunk release. Anybody else had a problem with this system?
  • cpaacecpaace Posts: 3
    Yes, I have had exactly the same experience. It is very disturbing because you can never feel secure parking the car in a mall and not have the trunk contents become available to all. What is most frustrating is that there really is no way for the mechanic to reproduce the problem and fix it. They examined the lock and could not see any problem. They tried to tell me that I must be hitting the release with my leg getting out of the car, but, this has happened after overnight in the garage where the trunck was definitely closed in the morning, but, then opened later.

I believe the only way this will ever be fixed is if enough people contact Hyundai and even more sue for lost damages and probably the fix is to replace the lock altogether.
  • petdogdfwpetdogdfw Posts: 26
    edited April 2011
    I had the exact problem. During the day at work, my co workers would report my trunk was open. I thought maybe it was because I kept the fob/remote in my pocket so I started putting it on my desk. It would still open by itself. Sometimes this happened overnight at home too. This was happening on a regular basis.

The dealer determined that they needed to replace the remote module on the car as it seemed to trigger itself. Since they have done this I have not had the problem any longer.

In my case it was not a problem with the lock but rather an electronic component for the remote unlocking feature of this car.
    I do not agree with the dealership telling someone to secure the trunk and and not use the remote. There is definately a problem. Again, this is the fix that corrected the problem on my car. I hope this helps.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    Not sure if this is relevant, but I had a problem recently latching the trunk on my 2007 Sonata in cold weather. Had to slam it really hard to latch it. Took it to the dealer during an oil change and they said the latch needed replacing, which they did under warranty. No more latching problem.
  • dawnmc1dawnmc1 Posts: 1
    I had a steering problem (car pulling to the left) w/my Sonata, as well as so many others. In 6 months, the car was in service on 7 occasions. I got (2) new tires & 4 alignments, none of which fixed the pulling problem. I dealt w/the Hyundai Rep who did nothing but lie. I was directed by Hyundai Corporate to contact the Better Business Bureau. After a long, stressful 3 month process, I went into arbitration & won the case under the lemon law. Hyundai had to repurchase my car under the Lemon Law. No matter where you live, there are Better Business Bureaus & Lemon Laws. If you are having this issue, make sure you pursue it further because Hyundai should NOT be getting away with this.
  • tetovaritetovari Posts: 22
    Hi
    I have the same problem and want go for the lemon law.
    Can you plase email superfixus@hotmail.com me some details on the procces . I live in New York , leased in New Jersey .
    Thanks
  • lfr3lfr3 Posts: 12
    Attorney General for theLemon Law 212-416-8314. They will tell you what you need to do if you qualify. Good luck! Lots of paperwork!!!
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    While I do NOT currently own a 2011 Sonata I have been following this "left pull" issue with interest because I do intend to buy one as soon as Hyundai issues a statement/TSB/recall or whatever means they will use to state this issue is corrected..finally and completely. However, that said, I am sure Hyundai is as eager to get to the bottom of this as are the owners. They (Hyundai) have made great strides in the automotive industry and in the buying public's perception of the brand so I am quite sure they don't need or want the negative publicity over this. So, I don't think it is a question of "Hyundai getting away with this" as much as finding an absolute cause and cure. I admit I believed it to be a function of the electronic steering (probably in the form of the parameters programmed into the steering computer) rather than tires, alignment, or the magic strut and since electronics can be reprogrammed relatively easily and quickly I am beginning to wonder why it has not already been "fixed". Other manufacturers that have gone to electronic steering have also had similar problems but seemed to have fixed them and moved on.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    We have a 2011 Sonata and have not experienced that problem. I even tested it on a straight section of road. That car went in a straight line and stayed in the lane.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    I am in the same situation, I want to buy Sonata which would be my first Hyundai car, but with various issues popping up I am waiting for 20112 model to arrive, under the assumption that it wil be "fixed". Generally, intro models have more isssues than later on models.

Consumer Report rates 2011 Sonata above average reliability based on 2010 sales. Also, Camry and Altima get complete model change in Fall 2011.
  • flyboy21flyboy21 Posts: 7
    The pull left issue keep popping up. I Googled it and came up with a possible fix. The fix for one individual was to replace the Hankook tires. Google radial pull tires or radial steer tires or Hankook tires pull. The customer had his old tires checked at the dealers on a Road Force Balance machine and the machine identified 2 tires that were bad and needed to be replaced. Four new tires were check on the RFB machine and matched to the wheel and identified as to what location to have them place on the car.
    This has fixed his pull problem. There are 5 new 2011 Sonata in the family and no one is having a pulling issue. They range in mileage from less than 1000 to almost 20,000. I have had mine since May 2011 with no problems.
    These car have been made since Dec. 2009 so while they are 2011 models they are into the second year of production.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    Myself and several of my friends have 2011 Sonatas and We have not experienced that problem. Today I had my 1st yr NY inspection and my service mgr said it is not a problem they have experienced to date and they have sold many Sonatas.
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    I got my 2011 Limited in April of 2010 and I have had no steering problems at all. My car was made in March of 2010.
  • sporky944sporky944 Posts: 2
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this pulling issue. Often it IS the tires. I have had a similar problem on a pickup that cured itself when the tires finally wore out and I got a different brand. Some vehicles steering geometry are just very sensitive to tires. In my case it also was the OEM tires that were the culprit. Years later I tried a different brand and they too caused dramatic pulling. I swapped to a better 10 ply tire ( I am heavily loaded) and my Ram drives down the interstate with no hands its so good, even at 8 years old.

Meanwhile I will wait to read of this problem being resolved before considering a Sonata. I think they use kUMHO or Hankook tires, which would cause me to suspect the tires right away.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Have Kumho's on the kids Accent and they have been perfect & track straight down the road & on the highway when I've gotten it up to almost 80...the tread looks like a certain Michelin tire I've seen. With 10k on the clock, we're very satisfied.

But any brand can have a problem. I have Fuzion HR's on my Civic, made by Bridgestone, and we had to replace a couple of them due to a radial pull...the car pulled to the right within seconds. After a few location swaps, it was decided to start replacing tires & they did get it right. The point I'm trying to make is that any brand of tire can have a problem within which makes the car pull in either direction...it is not brand specific. I've had this same problem with a Toyota Corolla years ago and again, it was due to the tires and they were Bridgestone's.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    edited May 2011
    Actually both Hankook and Kumho make very good tires and I speak from experience on Kumho's having had two sets of four on my Dodge Stratus. The first set was everything I wanted in tires...quiet, good handling wet or dry, reasonable snow traction and good tread life up to the point at which an alignment problem aggravated by worn front end components caused an earlier than expected demise. Even then they lasted about 55K miles. This second set is also good and at 20K miles look new with the mechanical problems resolved + regular rotations and monitoring tire pressure weekly. I have also read (see Tire Rack.com) that the Hankook brand rates very high as well. Both are good especially since they don't cost a mint as do Michelin. Again I will state that I believe the left pull issue isn't tires or other things but an electronic steering issue.
  • news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/03/2011-hyundai-sonata-steering-update-new-st- rut-similar-alignment-issue.html

According to an April 27 comment by Jeff at the CR link above, Hyundai posted a TSB re: Sonata tracking issues at hmaservice.com as of 4/21/11, but for some reason I cannot register there to access it--

If someone here can track it down, please repost it here?

TIA
  • moontrainmoontrain Posts: 83
    Last year ( May 2010 ) after I got my Limited I went in for an oil change and they ( Hyundai dealer ) told me they had to do a steering software update.
    I have never had a pull left problem with my 2011 Sonata. My car was made in March 2010.
  • nelson1nelson1 Posts: 40
    My new Sonata just turned 1,000 miles. It has Kumho 215x55x17 tires. I love the car, no pulling to the side, great steering, 39MPG on the highway, but it is LOUD on the road. These are the noisiest tires that I have ever had on any car, yet. Does anyone have any idea how to quieten it down? I have tried varying the tire pressure, but I have noticed no improvement. Right now, I have 33psi in the front, and 27 in the rear.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Only way to quieten down is to replace tires. I had set of Kumho Solus KR21 on my Grand Caravan and they are very quiet tires. You may have trouble due to fact that your car is riding on low profile tires, but with some reseach you should be able to find a set that's a little more quiet. Good luck.