Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    The Limited has heated side mirrors.

According to the brochure, it's standard on all models.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    ismit86:

I would love to post pics, but I don't know how to attach pictures.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    I've been reading about blow outs and trouble with the 18' tires on the SE?is this true,I'm buying the sonata by end of May.I'm still stuck picking the right color?Silver,Indigo Blue which looks good in pictures,White Pearl?i hope i don't have any problems with those tires?
  • ej2010ej2010 Member Posts: 12
    Update:
    I got an offer for Accord Auto LX-P as follows in Chicago (7.25 % tax):
    Sale Price: $19,237
    Out The Door Price: $21,179

The offer on 2011 Sonata GLS Auto Pep02 OTD was 20900.
    More confused now!!! (~279 between accord and sonata, both 4 cylinder)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So now it's easy: pick the car you like best.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I've read of one poster on this forum that had a couple blow out but due to extreme conditions he encountered. Where else have you read about the 18" tires blowing out?
    On this forum and somwhere else not sure,just alittle worried because those tires are expensive?
  • mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    One poster was forced off the road in an accident, and both passenger tires were blown because of that, but no, I've heard of no other incidents, and Hyundai has used these tires for a long time on many models. Rest assured, you're not likely to have a problem.
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    How does the smart key work on 2011 sonata limited when I want to velet my car?
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    There's a portion that pulls out that you can keep on you so they can't get in the trunk (you have to flip a latch on the trunk so it won't open). Then you just give them the other part so that the push button and door locks will work.
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    I paid $24,693 out the door for my silver/ black interior limited. This price included carpeted floor mats-ipod cable-pin stripes-door and wheel well guards.
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    Push the botton on the smart key, pull out the key and lock both the glove box and the trunk(make sure the trunk latch is in the lock position) and give the smart key fob to the attendent and you put the key in your pocket.This way the attendent can lock unlock door start car but can NOT get into glove box nor trunk.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited April 2010
    I have heard that 18" tires are more susceptible to road damage because of the larger amount of tread that is in contact with the road, but honestly I went and took a look at the jagged pieces of pavement that I ran over (that was me by the way) and several just pointed edges which were perfect for messing up a tire rolling over it at 40 mph. I don't blame the tires, it was just one of those unfortunate things. I drive a lot and haven't had a problem since then, even on some rough roads and running over large construction plates on the bridge doing 70+. The other poster was right though - they are pretty expensive to replace. I believe the aftermarket ones they put on (not OEM since those would have had to be ordered) were around $185 each from the dealer - ouch.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    I believe all models have heated side mirrors.
  • jac0bsdadjac0bsdad Member Posts: 34
    Good afternoon, everyone. I just want to say it is great to be driving my new 2011 Sonata... I got the Limited trim with the Pacific Blue Pearl color. Beautiful car and great driving experience... I bought the car 3 weeks ago and have just under 1,000 miles so far... I have owned Honda & BMW before but I must say the new Sonata more than holds it own and is truly awesome. I have read reviews and some people think the seats are too firm... I'm confused by that becasue naturally I test drove a 2010 Accord EX-L, and in my opinion the seats on the new Accord are like sitting on concrete blocks... However, to each his own... I find the seats very comfortable and appropriately supportive but not at all harsh. Anyway, just wanted to say the car is great and I love it... Have a good one everybody. :)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited April 2010
    Isn't it because the larger passenger car tires that are 17" or 18" and larger are usually performance tires with short sidewalls. Short sidewalls give a harsher ride and are more prone to damage like you experienced along with possible rim damage. They do provide better handling of course but are expensive to replace. I have 17" on all three of my vehicles and just replaced the tires on two of them recently($900 & $700). Makes me wish I had my 1960 Falcon(first car) with the 13" tires again. ;)
  • searchprobizsearchprobiz Member Posts: 3
    The new Sonata is a big hit in Korea (I live there), however the style is really so-so, a little TOO MUCH...
    When you are inside the car, you hardly see outside from the rear seat. Be aware of possible claustrophobia syndrom ;)
    On the official Hyundai websites in Korea, the sticker price is very attractive.

Searchprobiz
    Should I not buy the SE because of these tires?I love the SE,I would hate to start looking for another car?
    edited April 2010
    I think the car is beautiful compared to the BORING Honda Accourd,Toyota Camery.What car do you like???????
    It's really not a big deal. Personally I love the 18'' tires - the way they look, and especially the performance advantages. They ride great IMO. Most decent cars with 17'' or 18'' these days, and unless you want to be driving a Civic, that is pretty much what you get. New tires are always expensive these days, even on 16'' tires.
    Thanks for your help,I haven't bought a car in over 20 years,I have a 1986 Chevy-Cavaliar Fastback.Did you see the SE in Indigo Blue?or Silver?
    Should I not buy the SE because of these tires?I love the SE,I would hate to start looking for another car?

I certainly wouldn't let these tires be the deal-breaker if you like the car. I have 15" tires on my Toyota Solara, and now 17" on the Sonata Limited, and if I need new ones, yes, the larger diameter tires will cost more, but the joy of having this car more than makes up for the little extra I will spend on tires. In normal use, you won't be replacing the tires all that often. Enjoy getting the car you want. There's nothing inherently wrong with the tires on these cars.
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for the info. I tried it yesterday and works. The unlock and lock switch is on the trunk lid right by the lock. (hard to notice). Again thanks for the info. Great feature for the 2011 Sonata.
  • jparks8jparks8 Member Posts: 19
    Yesterday I drove my new Sonata 2011 in Harbour Grey pass the Military Base and two 20-year-olds shouted out "nice car". The design even appeals to the younger crowd! And, I thought of it as a Mercedes' copy that in grey would be understated elegance.
  • ej2010ej2010 Member Posts: 12
    End up in Accord EX for 22500 OTD.
    Lost lots of goodies but got better seat, ride & handling (that is what i felt).

Also looking for a another one too, I will pick Elantra or 2010 Sonata (if i got a deal)
  • willyp3willyp3 Member Posts: 1
    Engine noise? sounds like tappet until oil pressure builds, only momenterally. suggestions. Thanks
    The noise actually comes from the direct injection engine. The price one will pay for better fuel economy.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Isn't it because the larger passenger car tires that are 17" or 18" and larger are usually performance tires with short sidewalls. Short sidewalls give a harsher ride and are more prone to damage like you experienced along with possible rim damage

That's why 17" is my limit. If I end up buying a new Sonata SE, I'll trade away the beautiful 18's for more utilitarian 17's. I'm sure the dealer would be glad to take them off my hands.
    How much time did you spend with the 2011 Sonata to properly compare the ride and handling. And why are you looking for a 2010 Sonata which has a lesser ride and handling than the 2011. Sounds like price is your major concern. I can tell you coming from a 2006 Sonata with 6cyl that your Honda will not accelerate or keep up with my 2011 SE.
    But Good Luck with your Honda. It's what makes you happy that really counts, not looks ,performance,or price.
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    I also have a Harbor Gray Limited.
    Nice color for an old man of 65.
    What color interior is yours?
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    C&D did a test of 5 wheels on a VW Golf.
    The only improvement in a larger tire was the skidpad and a little better braking.
    0-60 times 7.6 sec with a 15 inch rim weight =40lb
    7.9 sec with the 19 inch rim weight =54lb

So 0-60 times are worse with a larger wheel.
    MPG got much worse
    1/4 mile time worse
    noise worse
    ride worse
    replacement cost much worse
    But hey, they sure look good......lol

16 or 17 inch wheels seem to be the best trade off between performance and economy.
  • sb2002sb2002 Member Posts: 10
    I just put money down on a Sonata Limited with navigation Black on Black because the dealer could not find one. I have been waiting six weeks for one to come in and the dealer told me recently I would have to put money down to get "preference" when one shows up as these are so hard to find. Just want to share that these seem to be hard to find. I'll report back when I have it to let all know how long it is taking. I placed the "preference" down payment on 4/24.
  • oceana143oceana143 Member Posts: 38
    Anyone who has tested both models please let me know how they compare. I like a European-type ride and while I am not expecting a BMW with the Hyundai, would like something with tight handling. Thank you.
  • longhaullonghaul Member Posts: 17
    I am just a driver - not much of a car person.

I was attracted to drive the SE initially simply on looks. Even with my lack of expert knowledge, I felt a big difference between the SE & the Limited. I bought the SE.

Probably helped a lot that my test driving them was on Jersey roads with the infamous circle intersections ;)

The SE was MUCH better on the turns, while the Ltd was a bit smoother.

Hubby only test drove the Ltd. After we picked up the SE, he also immediately noticed a difference in handling the curves.
  • kyllekylle Member Posts: 4
    oh, thanks for that tip. I never thought that the style would be like what you said. Thanks for the information.
  • jparks8jparks8 Member Posts: 19
    I am also 65. I traded in my 11-year-old Honda Accord for the Sonata 2011 which has almost the exact exterior size of my old car. And, I hate automatics with a passion; so my car has the cloth black/grey seats and I was limited to paying the lowest price. I did add the iPod wire. When I retired, I threw my cell phone away so that option will not be tested. The XM radio doesn't get CBC, so that is also useless. The engine and the 6-speed manual are outstanding. More power with less gas! And a large trunk, exterior temperature, nitrogen in tires, and a trip calculator that is a plus. My old Honda was the first car I ever owned with cup-holders. That is a useless invention. My new Sonata is the first car that I have owned with a remote door/trunk opener. That is nice.
  • marc52marc52 Member Posts: 17
    Over the weekend I tested a Limited. The exterior styling is very nice, similar to the VW-CC. Unfortunately that is where it ends. The engine is quite noisy, Transmission shifts nicely but hard to ignore the noise. The interior materials really are quite poor, flimsy plastic , very poor feel. The cloth is awefull and the leather is not much better. I would rather pay more and see some better materials. The warranty is good , and as a friend told me, every time I take it in they fix it. Sounds funny but I would rather not have to take it in to find out.
    Good luck to all,
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    Seriously? Cupholders a useless invention?!? I can't imagine driving with a cup of hot coffee held between my legs. The Sonata is equipped with features that most consider beneficial and essential...but then again maybe you consider airbags and antilock brakes useless as well...
    Too bad for you that you didn't like it. Direct injection engines are noisier than regular ones; it's the price you pay for great gas mileage in a big car. The interior is not cheap, unless you are comparing to cars that cost $10k+ more.

FYI, this is my second Hyundai and I've never had either in the shop. However, it's nice to have the warranty as a security blanket.
  • textechietextechie Member Posts: 7
    I bought a Radiant Silver LTD with Black interior this past weekend. The car has a nice feel (ride and looks) to it and I love the goodies that come standard with the LTD. This car also included mats and iPod cable. I was surprised (pleasantly) when I noticed that the rear seats also have seat warmers. I wish the headlights were HID or Xenon.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    cupholders aren't a "safety feature." There's no requirement that one drive with a cup of hot coffee in the vehicle at all - in fact, in some countries, you aren't allowed to eat/drink while driving. It's a convenience feature.

Me? I prefer good cupholders, but I understand why some people wouldn't be all that excited about them.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I would rather pay more and see some better materials.
    I find the interior just fine for what I paid. The leather in my car is quite nice, although I prefer perforated not smooth, and the other interior touches are fine. To each his own is still a saying for a very good reason. By all means, go pay more.
    I don't know what yr your friend's Hyundai is but I can tell you since 2003 Hyundai is one of the top cars with fewer Dealer complaints. I have owned 5 different ones since 2002 and never returned to Dealer except for Oil and State Inspections.

Check this website.
    http://www.carcomplaints.com/
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I would rather pay more and see some better materials. The warranty is good , and as a friend told me, every time I take it in they fix it. Sounds funny but I would rather not have to take it in to find out.
    Good luck to all,

Sonatas have been among the most reliable cars since 2005. :blush:

I have an 06, and it had 1 minor recall and 1 major TSB, both fixed with no problems. I have still not spent a penny on the car.
  • bneuman542bneuman542 Member Posts: 10
    Wife and I took our Phantom Black 2011 SE with Nav on a 5 hour trip (2.5 each way) this week end. I'm new to Bluetooth and was wondering...

I got into car 1st and a minute or two later wife gets in car. We both have our phones on and in the car. About an hour into the trip my wife's phone rings. She waits a couple rings to see if car will pick it up. No...XM radio keeps playing. She answers phone and takes the call. After the call I go into phone settings and check pairing. Both phones are there and contacts for both are correctly listed. My phone is listed as number 1 and hers as number 2. I assume this is because I got into car first.

My question is since both phones are listed and paired to system why didn't it go through car? Will it only recognize the 1st listed phone?

I moved her phone to the top of the list and made calls from it through the car. Same with mine.

On a side note we averaged 37.1 mpg for the entire trip. Including about 5% city driving. Very Impressed... :)
    My wife has the old school Hyundai bluetooth in her Santa Fe, and this is exactly how it works. The priority system makes it only recognize the higher priority phone.

If your wife uses the car without you and your phone inside, it will pick up her calls.
    edited April 2010
    It sounds like you didn't test drive a Limited ... I think you drove the SE. There is no cloth in the Limited.
    It's beginning to sound like he didn't drive any. Sounds more like a Honda rep.
  • mbzxmbzx Member Posts: 9
    Hmmm, you test drove a Limited with cloth and had to take it in to get fixes??? Interesting... :surprise:
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    Limited only has leather.Sounds like someone didn't drive a Sonata.