Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• 'I would also say it feel nearly as quick as my '99 300M that had 253HP'.....

I had a 2001 300M...... best car I ever owned. The x-wife still has it.... 300,000KM and going strong. Only repair has been a flat tire!

I loved that car.
  • akeiyakeiy Posts: 22
    Hi,

Currently I have a 05 camry and I am thinking whether I should buy 2011 sonata to replace it. Then I have been to the dealer to test drive the new car and I found there is no big difference for road noise between the two cars. What do you think of it? Any thought will be welcome! Thank you very much!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    With Hyundai (and GM) Push and release gives you 1-2 mph. Push and hold and it accelerates until you release, then holds the speed at which you release.

BTW, on a Hyundai with a manual transmisison, the cruise is so quick and accurate you can almost drive the car without using the accelerator.
  • ramkatramkat Posts: 23
    edited March 2010
    Apparently there is a risk of deposits forming on the valves of DI engines

Here is a patent that reduces that. Judging from the intro it is a common problem with DI engines
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6846782.html

I am wondering if that problem has been solved with the Theta II engine?

Just to reduce the risk of deposits I will continue to use only Shell when I get my Sonata. May also be a good idea to switch to full synthetic oil during the first oil change. Any technical guy that could provide us with some guidance here?
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Posts: 122
    I'm a big 3.3L man, but go take a 2011 se out for spin, a little in town a little on the
    hi-way, see what you think. I have the 09/10 SE-v6 love it. Go check the new 11
    out for yourself, a beautiful awesome ride. the build quality is excellent. Then go
    try the rest, you will see.

Happy Hyundai owner::
  • To clarify, after the speed is set, adjusting with the +/- buttons seems to have little to no effect unless I hold down the button. Most cars I can feel the engine gain power or the car slow down. In the Sonata the speed does not seem to adjust significantly. Maybe because the speedometer has such poor resolution.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    I believe each press only adjusts it by 1 mph or so, try pressing it 6-7 times in a row and see if you notice the difference. It also takes a second to register and change the speed.
  • eblue2eblue2 Posts: 8
    Hey Pegasus17, whats your new Indiana dealer? I live here and nobody is giving a decent quote. The best quote I've got is from Chicago. Pls. give me a clue to your dealer.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    That's about how all of mine work. After it's set you have to hold the button down for awhile to really get a noticable difference in speed.
  • Friends:
    I am thinking of buying a 2011 Sonata Limited Model (without navigation). I am wondering what will be the best price that I can bargain for this. Anyone got the car below invoice price? Welcome pricing suggestions from anyone who recently bought. Thanks.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Posts: 205
    edited March 2010
    http://cars.overstock.com/configurator.html?makeId=2235&modelId=443&upfrontPrici- - ng=Y

ZIP CODE 10019 (New York)

2011 GLS MANUAL
    YOUR PRICE
    $17,509
    Savings off MSRP:$2,406

2011 GLS AUTOMATIC
    YOUR PRICE
    $18,464
    Savings off MSRP:$2,451

2011 SE AUTOMATIC
    YOUR PRICE
    $20,530
    Savings off MSRP:$2,785

2011 LIMITED AUTOMATIC
    YOUR PRICE
    $22,828
    Savings off MSRP:$3,187

2011 LIMITED AUTOMATIC w/NAVIGATION PACKAGE
    YOUR PRICE
    $24,739
    Savings off MSRP:$3,376
    edited March 2010
    More info on the problem mentioned above

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6866031.html

"The DI invention concerns an internal combustion engine, especially an Otto engine, with a fuel injector.

Gasoline engines with direct injection of the fuel into the combustion chamber, i.e., not into the intake port, suffer especially from the problem of the formation of carbon deposits on components. Carbon deposits form especially in the neck region of intake valves. A more exact analysis of how these carbon deposits form leads to the following result: Oil and fuel constituents first form a sticky coating on the components. These constituents are chiefly long-chain and branched-chain hydrocarbons, i.e., the low-volatility components of oil and fuel. Aromatic compounds adhere especially well. This sticky base coating serves as a base for the deposition of soot particles. This results in a porous surface, in which oil and fuel particles in turn become embedded. This process is a circular process, by which the coating thickness of the carbon deposits continuously increases. Especially in the area of the intake valves, the deposits originate from blowby gases and from internal and external exhaust gas recirculation, and in this process, the blowby gases and the recirculated exhaust gas come into direct contact with the intake valve.

Especially in the area of the neck of the intake valves, excessive carbon deposits have extremely negative effects for the following reasons: In the case of Otto direct injectors, the successful ignition of the stratified charge depends to a great extent on correct development of the internal cylinder flow, which ensures reliable transport of the injected fuel to the spark plug to guarantee reliable ignition at the spark plug. However, a coating of carbon deposits in the neck region of the intake valve may interfere so strongly with the tumble flow that ignition failures may occur there as a result. Under certain circumstances, however, ignition failures can lead to irreversible damage of a catalytic converter installed in the exhaust gas tract for purifying the exhaust gas. Furthermore, the coating of carbon deposits in the neck region of the intake valve causes flow resistance, which can lead to significant performance losses due to insufficient cylinder filling, especially in the upper load and speed range of the internal combustion engine. In addition, the carbon deposits in the neck region of the intake valve may prevent correct valve closing, which leads to compression losses and thus sporadic ignition failures. This in turn could irreversibly damage the catalytic converter. There is the potential for small particles to break away from the coating of carbon deposits in the neck region of the intake valve and get into the catalytic converter. These hot particles may then cause secondary reactions and corresponding local damage of the catalytic converter. For example, a hole may be burned in the structure of the catalytic converter.

Globular deposits are found especially on the valve stem downstream from a partition plate in the intake port. Due to the dripping of high-boiling hydrocarbons from the partition plate towards the valve neck or valve stem, globular carbon deposits eventually form there by the sequence of events explained above. These deposits on the valve stem can result in flow deficits due to undesired swirling and turbulent flow around the globular carbon deposits. This may persistently interfere with the formation of stable tumble flow from cycle to cycle.

A possible solution would be to keep these sources of deposits away, for example, from the intake valve, by completely eliminating exhaust gas recirculation and the introduction of blowby gases into the intake port. However, with the combustion behavior of modern reciprocating internal combustion engines, at least external exhaust gas recirculation and the introduction of blowby gases into the intake port are absolutely necessary for reasons of emission control and fuel consumption, so that this approach is not possible. "
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    "Yes, the outside temperature gauge is next to the clock"

Thanks for the clarification.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    I assume you have an opinion on DFI. What is it?

DFI has been around a long time, mostly on higher end cars. Do you know how it's working for them?
    There is no option. If you buy a 2011 Sonata you have DI :)

Yes,. DI has been around and the above quote is a response to problems they have been experiencing. Honda apparently dropped their DI because of that. If you do a google you will find some discussions going on about this.(VW, Audi etc) Some engines are already badly build up at 40K. :surprise: To clear it means opening the engine and manually removing it with the help of some chemicals (i.e $$$) There are patents out their to reduce this - some more costly and/or effective that others. The reason why I posted this is to try and find out what Hyundai did about the deposit build up in their design.
  • lancep97lancep97 Posts: 36
    opinion, not option :)
  • I have had my 2011 Sonata Limited (w/o Nav) since Feb13. Drove 150 miles to get it in the black on black that we wanted. This is our fourth Sonata. Our 2009 GLS was totaled in an accident, and were down to one vehicle for three months waiting for the 2011.This is also our first Sonata with an immediate warranty issue. The turn signal on the right side passenger mirror has significant moisture beaded inside. Has anyone else experienced this problem? We also received the recall notice on the locks, but we are not idiots (cannot imagine holding down lock while trying to open door) and prefer to leave the locks alone rather than have them tear the door apart. BTW, is it better to take the car to a local dealer for warranty work or to the dealer from which we purchased the vehicle?
    P.S. The 2011 is significantly better in handling and in many other ways as well. The only negative is over concrete interstates with expansion joints it is REALLY noisy and rough. The 2009 was much quieter.
    PP.S. I have enjoyed reading all the posts (lurking for the past two months) . Thanks for so much good info.
    My apologies lancep97 , i really need to get that eyetest done :blush:
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    well good thing for that 100,000 mile powertrain warranty then, just in case :P
  • rico84rico84 Posts: 7
    Wait, how is he breaking forum rules?