Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• deli52deli52 Posts: 1
    My Droid keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to my 2011 Sonata Bluetooth. Calls are cut off within 20 seconds. Has anyone else had the same issue and if so have you found a solution?
  • stancostanco Posts: 27
    As a current owner of a 2009 genesis, I recently purchased a 2011 Sonata limited w/ nav for my wife. Living in the metro NY.. area the car is subject to parking abuse
    so I had self color molding to protect the sides installed $200 [note hyundai provides none !] Now I find they do not provide a front license bracket either.... so the plate is applied directly to the painted bumper, just looking for someone to back up and grind the metal plate into the bumper causing major damage. the Genny has a bracket provided n/c. I have not yet figured how to protect the rear bumper,but I will.
    Please anyone with similar problems pls. let me know,thks.
    Stan
  • We all agree that the 2011 Sonata is a great car - a striking appearance and better features than the competition. And I hear they're selling well. But I've seen only three in the almost 2 months I've owned my car. One black one (like mine), one white and one gray.

I mainly drive around the Washington DC suburbs and go up to New Jersey every couple of weeks. You'd think I would have seen more than three at this point.

Maybe they're not selling as well as I'd heard. Perhaps Hyundai ought to advertise better.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    I have the 2011 SE and a Droid but haven't been having this problem.. that is strange. I would try it with another phone so you can narrow down which device is causing the problem - the phone or the car.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    They sold 18,000 last month in a recovering economy. Not bad. I have seen 4 out there in the Atlanta area.

It will take awhile before they are more omnipresent.
    In the first two weeks I got it (took delivery 2/19) I only saw one other 2011 Sonata.. in this past week alone I have been averaging 1-3 a day so I can tell they are definitely selling more and more as time goes on. Over the weekend I went to pull into a parking spot as a car in the adjacent isle did the same thing, when we stopped it was like looking in a mirror!! Except he had the Limited - I have only seen one other SE, in red, which personally I didn't think was the most flattering color.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,248
    Since the front bumper is curved, mount to one side instead of in the center. The bumper has to allow for it, of course. But consider mounting the license plate towards the passenger side of the center. Driver-side may still be prone to being hit by people parallel parking but the passenger side should rarely be tapped that way.
  • stancostanco Posts: 27
    thanks, but not a fix besides ugly off center, I'll take a pass on this one
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Auto manufacturers have long provided "designed to fit" front license plate frames to use in states that have front and rear plates. Living in PA I don't have that potential problem (rear plate only) but with many recent new cars I have bought I found the unused bracket/frame in the trunk..or in the case of the 2 last generation Santa Fe's we bought in the cargo area. The last new car we got was a 2006 Honda Civic purchased in Maryland ( a 2 plate state) and the dealer installed the extra bracket on the front as a matter of course I guess. Fortunately Honda designed this frame to be installed without drilling holes in the bumper ...I just added a Honda "H" plate in the front. Anyhow, Hyundai must have provided for those who need a front plate in the form of a specifically designed frame for the 2011 Sonata. Oh, a friend has a very nice 1957 Mercury originally from Nebraska, another 2 plate state, and guess what? it has a Ford front plate frame.
  • I saw a white one in downtown D.C. this afternoon.
  • j2jj2j Posts: 147
    "I mainly drive around the Washington DC suburbs and go up to New Jersey every couple of weeks. You'd think I would have seen more than three at this point.

Maybe they're not selling as well as I'd heard. Perhaps Hyundai ought to advertise better."

The Sonata has only been available for about a month and a half w/ probably 24-25K currently on the streets in the whole of the United States - give it some time (sheesh!).

As for advertising, I don't know how anyone could miss all the commercials on TV; and due to the Sonata being one of the most researched cars on the net, methinks that Hyundai's ad campaign for the Sonata is doing fine.
  • mexjohnmexjohn Posts: 74
    I have not had THAT problem, but after putting in a Lojack unit, I had to reconnect manually each time I left the car and got back in. Solution was to delete the phone and re-pair it, then Solara connected automatically as before. I'm in and out of the car all night working, so it was a problem.

Maybe this will work for you. Re-pair the phone after deleting it.
  • I have now been waiting now since Feb for a red ltd with nav.....trading a 2004 LX. Has any one seen one in the PA/NJ/NY area ?
  • They are advertising alot in NJ/Philly area but can't egt the limited only GLAs...it's already been 2 months an getting tired of waiting while I just soend over $ 1000 on repairs on my 2004 LX with 110K miles.time for a trade it.
  • jparks8jparks8 Posts: 19
    With the low USA dollar, I suspect, Hyundai is shipping much of their product to Canada. My local dealer has had one of each colour in front and centre for a month. They also had one of each model as well. They probably have another dozen in the lock-up. If you don't mind the temperature in C and the larger numbers on the speedometer in km/h, you may want to look north of the border. They are selling for the MSLP and if you like you can finance for 2.6%. When I purchased my manual they had a Black manual and Harbour Grey manual in stock and said they could get any colour in 24 h.
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    I said I would check my Limited.
    It does have a chrome tip.
    Has any one seen one in the PA/NJ/NY area ?

I live in NY and go to CT every weekend, I have seen them frequently. I saw one on the way home today - a black one right near my house. Didn't catch the trim but it looked nice.

With the low USA dollar, I suspect, Hyundai is shipping much of their product to Canada.

There are plenty in stock at the dealers, but only 25,000 or so have been sold total so they are certainly not as common yet as a Honda Accord or Nissan Altima, which have been on sale for years. For the short amount of time they have been out, I have been seeing a relatively good amount on the road.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 418
    Just went to look at them today, the dealer said he's getting in a Red Limited with Camel interior and Nav this month some time. Try Lynnes Infiniti in NJ. Bloomfield I think.
  • just contacted them as they sell below invoice....hopefully it won't be much more of a wait.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 418
    Thanks for checking! I saw them today in the dealership, looks great. Not sure what was up with the one I saw in the parking lot. Appreciated.
  • jaimzjaimz Posts: 15
    Great weather???? Let me see....I live in Reno.....it snowed today. In fact, we'll probably have roller coaster weather for another month or better. Maybe SanDiego has all the nice weather...but the rest of us on the W. Coast have some goofy-[non-permissible content removed] weather and [non-permissible content removed] deals thank you.

Regardless, I love my Sonata. I keep getting "It looks like a Mercedes."
  • jaimzjaimz Posts: 15
    edited April 2010
    I don't know about you, but I'm pretty content with having an original on the road.

I can't stand the copies on the road....you know....every other car is a Toyota Corolla or an FJ Cruiser. My gosh, how many of those do I see about every block!?!

I'm sure the day will come when Sonatas are as commonplace as those cookie-cutter cars. For now, enjoy being unique.
    I agree, I do not really like seeing others on the road because I like having the nicest car other than things priced much, much higher. At least I can take solace in the fact that I have the SE, which has some visual upgrades, and I suppose the Limited people can brag about their turn signal mirrors and sunroof.

When the 2.0T comes which all have 18'' rims, duel exhaust, and panoramic moonroof, then I will be jealous haha.
  • larry134larry134 Posts: 40
    The guy said he lived in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA , nice weather, you live in RENO Nev. which is not on the west cost, unless California had a resent earthquake and now Nevada overlooks the pacific ocean.Yes, it does look like a Mercedes
  • larry134larry134 Posts: 40
    The guy said he lived in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA , nice weather, you live in RENO Nev. which is not on the west cost, unless California had a resent earthquake and now Nevada overlooks the pacific ocean.Yes, it does look like a Mercedes
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Say, what? Darn. Guess I'll have to tell the kids that our beach vacation to Reno is now a mountain vacation. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• herbie10herbie10 Posts: 13
    My 2011 Sonata has been at my dealerships collision center for 6 weeks now. They are still waiting on the driver's side airbag. All the other parts have been received. I've talked to the dealership and the told me to call Hyunday USA. I have talked with them twice and they told me they have tried to expedite the airbag. The last time I talked with Hyundai USA was this past Monday. They're basically telling me there is nothing they can do. My new Sonata has now been at the collision center longer than I got to drive the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do to try and get my car back?

Thanks....
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,768
    Talk to Hyundai USA, remind them you have been waiting for SIX WEEKS, and ask them why they can't have the plant in Alabama FedEx the airbag to your dealership by tomorrow. (Does the plant have no phones or email?) Also ask them what Hyundai will do to compensate you for your loss of your new car for six weeks (hopefully they have at least provided a free loaner during that time).
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    With it being basically a new design, major parts are probably scarce now due to them going to models being produced, that anyone will have trouble getting parts in quickly. There really isn't much you can do at this point it's all in the hands of the part supplier. I knew this guy that had bought a Dodge Charger R/T when they first came out and he had gotten into an accident after only having it for a month. He didn't get his car back until 2 months later mostly due to parts delay for such a new car. Needless to say he was not happy, but there was nothing he could do.
    The first day I had flats and they tried to scam me into getting new rims (later they said they were not necessary.. after I told them the rims were fine and it was just a pair of flat tires they took "a better look" and realized they just wanted to charge me a few grand for all new tires/rims).. but at first for the rims and stock 18'' tires they said it was going to take at least a few weeks because everything had to be ordered.. such a pain having to get everything shipped in. I just went with two replacement tires so I wouldn't have to wait.