Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    Were did you buy your car in LI?did you get a good deal?
  • lfr3lfr3 Member Posts: 12
    Great deal through internet sales at Atlantic Hyundai! Heard service is best at Huntington.
  • lomadelchivolomadelchivo Member Posts: 1
    Very low, plus i came from service today and my doo have problems to close complete and with only 15000 mi hyundai said the waranty doews not cover that What kind the warranty is that, for me hyundai is the wort warranty on america, shame to Hyundai with all the comercial about warranty, my first and last hyundai.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Huntington Hyundai. We have purchased 6 Hyundais from them and yes I got the best honest deal. Service is exceptional. If you are going the trade-in route they will be the best deal.
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    Try another dealer.
    I would think it should be covered.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    I have to disagree with you. I have visited my Hyundai Dealer many times for regular services and recalls and i have talked to many owners in the waiting room and no one has complained about warranty service. Also every auto review ranks Hyundai in the top 3 in warranty service. I suggest you contact Hyundai Corporate and report your problems.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    I don't know about that, most people I have talked to that needed warranty work had no issues with them. I used to have a 2000 Elantra wagon that developed a cracked exhaust manifold at around 135K miles. Apparently Hyundai had gotten a bad batch of exhaust manifolds, they replaced that part at no charge no questions asked. To me that sounds like a company that will stand behind their cars.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hyundai only covers "adjustments" like door/hood/trunk alignments for 1yr/12,000 miles (whichever comes first.) Same with A/C refrigerant charging/recharging.

Stereo and paint are covered 3yr/36,000 miles.

Hyundai likes to tout their 5yr/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, but it does have some notable exclusions.

The 10yr/100K mile powertrain warranty applies to the original owner, but does not transfer to subsequent owners unless the car goes through a $1500 "certification" process.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Although "adjustments" are technically covered only for the first year or 12k miles, I've found that some dealers will take care of little things like rattles and door adjustments past that. So if a particular dealer won't do it, it might be worthwhile to shop around for another dealer. The one I have used for service for the past several years has been very good about warranty coverage and even stretching the coverage a bit. They even give me free oil changes on my two Hyundais because I am a regular service customer, even though I did not technically qualify for the free changes because I didn't buy either of my Hyundais as new cars there (I did buy one as a used car there). Which brings up another point: I've found if you patronize a particular dealership over time (assuming they give you good service), they get to know you and treat you as the loyal customer you are... and go the extra mile for you when you need it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Which brings up another point: I've found if you patronize a particular dealership over time (assuming they give you good service), they get to know you and treat you as the loyal customer you are... and go the extra mile for you when you need it.

I found this to be true with Jerry Smith Kia of Burlington, WA. It really, really works. It's just good business.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Every dealer is different. I have my 2011 Sonata serviced at the same dealer from whom I purchased the car. In the past year I have been back four times for routine maintenance and the steering recall. Aside from the fact they never remember me, they seem conscientious and interested in customer service, however they are also very quick to upsell additional unnecessary services. I am not sure they would be all that quick to comp a non-warranty covered repair like an adjustment after the 12,000 mile mark. If it were a quick (less than 15-20 minutes) adjustment they probably would, but anything beyond that they would probably charge for the work. Can't really fault them for that, especially if they are not getting reimbursed from Hyundai for the work.

My dealer is very into customer contact. I usually schedule appointments 2 weeks in advance. Four days before my scheduled appointment the "barrage" begins. I get an email and a pre-recorded phone call each day up until the day of the appointment reminding me of my appointment. I appreciate they are reaching out, but not 4 days in a row.

I also get the request every time I am there to give them the highest marks on any survey I receive after the service.

The service I get from my dealer is very good, they even wash the car before handing it back to me. The one thing I wish they wouldn't do is adjust the driver's seat/steering wheel just to pull the car into the service bay...that kind of irks me.
    The one thing I wish they wouldn't do is adjust the driver's seat/steering wheel just to pull the car into the service bay...that kind of irks me.

Have you tried leaving a sticky note on the dash, in clear view of the driver, saying, "Please do not change seat and steering adjustments. Thanks!"? Might work. You could also ask the person who checks you in to not change the adjustments. If they are concerned about customer sat and getting a perfect score on the survey, I'll bet they honor your request.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Have you ever thought that the person doing the actual service on your car might not fit in it with the way you have it adjusted? Is it really that hard or takes that long for you to slide the seat and steering wheel back? You could also just ask the service advisor to make sure they put it back the way you brought it in.
    Moving the seat forward and back isn't the issue. It is when they start messing with the height of the seat, the angle of the seatback, and the steering wheel that makes it irksome. With the 6-way power seat it can sometimes take days to get the seat back into the same position it was in before.

I am 6ft5in tall, so the seat is all the way back. I can see the need to move the seat forward to reach the pedals, but there should be no need for someone to also adjust everything else simply to pull the car 200ft into a service bay.

That would be like someone totally readjusting everything just to move the car from one parking spot to another, or out of the way in the driveway.

Maybe I will just start pulling the fuse for the seat when I take it in for service :P
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you get a minute, take time to rate your dealer's service here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/dealerreviews

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

If their doing all that, than you have every right to be upset. I'm a service advisor and when I pull cars into the service drive I only move the seat backwards and steering wheel up. I'm 6'3 and most of our customers are females so the seats are almost always close to wheel and up high. But I never adjust the height.
    edited May 2011
    Do your customers a favor and only move the seat fore/aft, and then only when absolutely necessary, OK? The fewer adjustments they have to make to put it back the way it was, the more appreciative they'll be.

And if you want your customers to really love you, reprogram the radio stations as the customer set them when you have to disconnect the battery. I've had a couple of dealers do that over the years, and I thought it was a very thoughtful thing to do--saved me a lot of time.
  • ming2ming2 Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2011
    I bought a 2011 GLS last Dec. Today I got a post card from the dealer saying that an open recall has been issued for my vehicle. It looked like a advertising gimmick to get me back into the dealer. I called Hyundai customer service to see what this was all about. I was told that there is an update on the software for the transmission and that I should bring it in to be re-programed. Anybody else get this notice yet?
    "open recall"? Does that mean that no component is mentioned in the recall notice? Generally, recall notices are sent by the manufacturer, not by the dealership who sold you the car.

Check here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html

Once you put in all the details and get to the page for your vehicle, there's a link to recalls (it's in small print, right below the model description). See if any of those look like the notice you received.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I don't see anything on the list. This is a blue and white post card saying "Open Recall for your Hyundai Vehicle"on the front. On the back is the name of the dealer Gartner Hyundai in Aurora Il. that is where I bought it. Tells you to call Gartner and make an appointment for recall. When I called Hyundai customer service they did say that a "open recall" is not for safety issues but for maintanance issues. Like I said nothing mentioned what is was for on card but customer service said it was to re-program transmission.
    I only move fore/aft, never up/down.
    You said you also move the wheel. Fewer adjustments the better--less work for your customers to do.
  • gofalconsgofalcons Member Posts: 13
    I thought i would update my post from a few months ago. I complained that the driver seat was hurting my back and hips. Many people suggested i would "get used to" the seat over time. well, 3 months since i purchased the GLS, and still have issues with the seat. I am convinced that Hyundai skimped on the seats and installed very cheap seats to save on cost. Shame on them. Looking to trade or sell now, and not getting another hyundai.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 5048
    I also have a GLS for over a year. No problems with the seats. I am very picky. I haven't been on the forums for a while so I am curious what your problem is with the seats. I've gotten used to the road noise (minor complaint) and am generally happy with the rest of the vehicle. Good gas mileage, no reliability issues, easy to maintain, decent stereo. I am leasing my car for 3 years so I have 2 years left. I would NEVER purchase a car in the first year of a redesign but i felt comfortable enough to lease based on Sonata's history. i do not regret my decision one iota. Sorry if you feel differently...
    something with the seat hurts my back and hips, like somebody beat me with a stick. I have alleviated much of the pain with a small foam pad on the seat and one behind my back. If i try to drive without them, within 15 minutes i can start to feel discomfort in my back and hamstring/hip, especially the right leg. I think the seat is too small, cheap padding, bad support system.
    Just curious... you don't keep your wallet in your right back pocket, do you? I've had problems in the past keeping my wallet back there. I don't anymore.
    i am not that stupid where i wouldnt realize it would be my wallet. I never drive with anything in my pockets. its the seat. period. never again will i buy a car without plenty of power adjustments( but i dont think that would have helped with these cheap seats). I think Hyundai screwed up making the bolsters too high also.
    Just wondering why only your right side was affected, that's all. I didn't know you empty your pockets every time you climb into your car. No offense meant.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    edited June 2011
    I'm 6' and 240 lbs.

We sold an '07 Camry LE and bought a Sonata Hybrid which is more comfortable than the Toyota. We also have a '10 Venza which has a way better interior, IMO, than the Camry.

Notice that gofalcoons is alone in the complaints and when complaining tosses around words like "cheap" repeatedly. Having test driven a few diff Sonatas and after driving one 4 a month, I find the seats very comfortable on long hauls. They are not cheap.
    i test drove a used 2007 camry and it was alot more comfortable than my seat. maybe i have a bad seat, nobody else does. everyone is different. for me the seat doesnt fit, i am 5'8 170, 33waist, not big at all. And other people in my car also said seats arent comfortable, drivers, passenger, rear seats, all of them. so not just my opinion. just want to let people know of the possibility of this problem, i would not recommend a seat in the sonata that is not power adjustable or lacking lumbar adjustment.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    A Consumer Reports road test states that the Sonata's seats are "very comfortable" and that the comfort level holds up on long hauls which I can attest to. Also seems to be no issues in their owners' survey responses.

Motorweek has a long term road test going and their folks, who do test drives for a living, are not complaining about the seating. To be fair I find the front passenger seat to be a little low.

You seem to either have a very rare situation or . . . . .
    Look up forum discussion for Hyundai Sonata seat issues. Turns out some people were having same problem as me in 2006 models. I'll bet Hyundai still uses the same type of seat in 2011, or similiar. So my situation may be rare but not unique
    I have a 2007 Sonata (same seats as for 2006) and I've been in the 2011, so I can tell you the seats are different. However, I could see how some folks would find the driving position on the 2006-8 Sonatas uncomfortable especially w/o the power seat. That was true for me--the seat bottom did not provide enough thigh support for me with the manual adjuster. My 2007 has the power seat. They seem to have changed the front seats for 2009, though, and I found that seat OK even with the manual height adjuster. I also had no problem with the manual height adjuster in the 2011, but I have not driven that car for a long distance. I've taken my 2007 cross-country, 10+ hours a day for a few days, and found the seat quite comfortable.
    I have back problems, probably no as severe as you, but my 06 seats feel great and I'm 6'3 298lbs with a 44" waist. I think your situation is unique or the Sonata is just not the car for you. Did you have these problems with your past vehicles?
  • nelson1nelson1 Member Posts: 41
    I have had my Sonata Ltd. for 6 weeks, have just over 2,000 miles. I really like it, love the mpg, love the way that little 2.4 runs. It is even very quiet running at idle, stopped at a stop light. And, plenty quick, too. I do still have only one complaint. Road noise on certain types of road surfaces drives me crazy. I have just resolved myself that this is characteristic of the car. It has 17" wheels, whereas the GLS has 16", with slightly higher sidewalls. Maybe the GLS is quieter. My brother has a GLS, and I have driven it, and did not hear so much road noise as mine. I will try to tolerate the noise, until these Kumho tires wear out, and then I will replace them with Michelins. I have received no help from Hyundai, or Kumho tire corporate.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I have been loosely following tire noise issues with certain very low profile tires and between brands. From what I can gather low profile tires, with 55 or 50 sidewall ratios, may be noisier in general due (maybe?) to the more aggressive (read.. for better handling) tread design as compared to more traditional 60/65 sidewall ratio touring tires. Yes, certain brands in the same size can differ noticeably in tire noise generated. Kumho, from what I can determine, (and I also own a set of Solus KR-21's) are moderate in noise but Michelin are said to be to be quieter although about half again more expensive in any given size. I would not expect to have either Hyundai or Kumho give you any relief, nor would I expect any if it were me. The spec. tires are chosen for certain parameters dictated by the car manufacturer to the tire manufacturer. Example, the original Bridgestone tires on our 2006 Civic were, in short, terrible. Noisy, wore out at about 24K miles, lacked wet road traction etc. I couldn't believe how bad they were yet Honda spec'd them for several model year Civics from 2006-on. I replaced them with Kumho Solus KR-21's because I liked them on the other car we own.
    As targettuning mentioned, the tires are probably performing as designed - the issue is that you do not LIKE that performance, so there's not much you can do except change the tires.

I hear ya on the "try to tolerate the noise" stance. I've got the same issue on my Ford Escape. The noise is really bad, but the tires look in great shape with at least 60% tread life left in them, so it's hard to justify spending money to replace perfectly functional tires. I've tolerated it for almost 4 months... we'll see how much longer I can last.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• happygashappygas Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me. Ordered a new Phantom Black Turbo Limited. Came in with 17 inchers. Told the sales manager that I had my heart set on the 18 inchers and he said I could always walk away if I wanted to. He was about as po'd as I was, because he didn't know anything about it either (new dealership). Long story short, I asked him to knock off an additional $500 and he agreed. Ended up bringing the deal a couple of hundred under invoice plus they gave me a great value on my trade.

Another odd thing was that there was no Turbo emblem on the car when it arrived. No signs of damage or repainting on the trunk, just no emblem. The dealership ordered a new one and is going to put it on when it arrives.
  • abgharabghar Member Posts: 20
    I feel passenger seat being too low is an issue. I would hope Hyundai would add power passenger seats in the 2012 model.

High window sill certainly does not help from making you feel like you are sitting in a ditch. I guess if you are a taller person then the low seat may not be an issue but I would say for anyone shorter then 5’-5”, it is a problem.

Problem is you cannot even see the road in front of you when you are in the passenger seat. All you see is the dashboard and the sky.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    my complaint is also the low unadjustable passenger seat. I am a 5'9" female. I also wished they offered more things with the manual transmission (sunroof, power seats, better wheels, nav. etc.)I have no desire getting automatic so I have those things.
  • lfr3lfr3 Member Posts: 12
    I have the 2011 Sonata Ltd which came with powers seats!!! Oh I'm sorry we were just referring to the drivers side of the car... there is no power on the passenger side but we won;t tell you that!!! Passenger seat is way too low!!!! Without power seat on the drivers side, I wouldn't have bought the car. Seat too low in normal position!
  • wrs4wrs4 Member Posts: 17
    You would think that a car in the $20.000 price range would have custom fit to buyers torso. After all RR does.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought 17" was standard on all Limited, both 2.4 and 2.0T.
    The Turbo Limited supposed to come with 18" standard
  • sellinhyundaissellinhyundais Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    Yes the 18" are standard on all Turbo models. However Hyundai did release a small amount of 2011 Limited Turbo's with the 17" wheels. The window sticker reflected whichever wheel was on the car. There was a message on the Hyundai Dealer site on 5/5 states that a "select number" were equipped this way.
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Yesterday I went to the dealer for the 2nd time to replace the brake pedal sensor switch (could not start the car).
    22,500 miles. Inside back seat courtesy light was sticking, it was replaced and also the front seat courtesy light and sun glasses cover was replaced. He said that there was a recall on those lights.
    I've posted this before with no response but has any one else received an "Open Recall Notice"? I have a 2011 GLS Sonata. I was told that this is a recall to re-program the transmission, CampaignTF5, any one else get this notice?
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I did not get that. I have a Limited made in April 2010.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited June 2011
    Looks like a recall for transmission reprogramming. Affects MANY cars:

TSB# 11-01-016 AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE TCM UPDATE (SERVICE CAMPAIGN TF5)

Applicable Vehicles: 2011 MY Sonata (YFA) with 2.0L/2.4L engines and automatic transaxles
     2.4L GDI: Produced from 12/10/2009~4/11/2011
     2.0L Turbo GDI: Produced from 9/1/2010~4/21/2011

Description: This bulletin provides a procedure to update the TCM for 2011 Sonata 2.0L and 2.4L (YFA) vehicles with revised logic for Diagnostic Trouble code P0748 (Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Circuit).

INFO here:
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=66143&st=0