Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• reddogtxreddogtx Posts: 4
    Shop around! The first dealer I went to was $259 over Edmonds TMV and was not offering me any better fiancing than what I could get through my credit union which was 5.9% The second dealer I called said they did not make the GTI 1.8T in a automatic! (needless to say I did not go see him!)
    The third dealer I went to offered me the car (with the packages of course..very hard to find one without them)for $120 less than Edmunds TMV.
    They also offered me the better rates that Volkswagen was offering. I am going with the 24 mos at .09% to save money in the long run! Can't wait until Tuesday!
  • finklejagfinklejag Posts: 12
    How did you find out about the 2003 colors for the GTI.I been waiting for years for VW to come out with a dark grey GTI in the usa.They have them in europe.That sucks they are getting rid of the climatronic.6-speed 24v VR6 Grey GTI.I can't wait until september.
  • phaedrysphaedrys Posts: 37
    A 2002 GTI!!!

I love it....well...almost. The problem is, the clutch squeaks everytime it is depressed or released. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make it stop?
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    For the squeak, get a can of silicone spray and get under the pedal and look for the clutch spring. Hit that with a few shots of silicone spray and your squeak will go away. It will also probably go away with some wear and tear.

Glad you like your car... it's a great car!
  • phaedrysphaedrys Posts: 37
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I just got back from the dealer and they said it needs a new clutch switch, which they ordered and are going to instal on monday. I just didn't want to listen to the squeak for my first weekend with the new car ;) But hopefully that's all it is, and after monday I will never hear it again. Thanks again for the reply!
  • Well I wasn't the only one with this squeak I see.
    I got under there removed the plastic panel down there to get better view and sprayed good old WD-40 up on every place I saw movement including the switch. I also discovered they assembled that cheap plastic panel wrong and left it out of one of it's holders. My car is a 2002 VR6 got it in Nov '01
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    It's called take advantage of the great warranty you have on your car - let the dealer fix it.
  • kartezkartez Posts: 48
    VWoA website says the GTI337 will have 16 inch brakes all around.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Sounds like a serious typo. "16 inch" brakes would require HUGE wheels to provide clearance, and would weigh a ton besides.
  • kartezkartez Posts: 48
    www.vw.com/gti337/. Check it out and tell me if it is a typo.
    By 16", they mean the brakes need a 16" wheel to fit. Some crazy european measurement thing. The front rotors are 12.3" and the rear are 10.3". They are the Audi TT brakes basically.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    From Edmunds' coverage of the 2002 New York Auto Show: 2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 Edition. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• dogdoc1dogdoc1 Posts: 1
    I'm shopping for an '02 VR6. I've spoken with two dealers, both out of town, since I don't want to work with our local dealer. Dealer A was polite, friendly, non-pushy, offered me a decent trade on my car and an acceptable price on the VR6 that I want. They don't have one in stock, but he assured me that they could order it. Dealer B, who did not seem particularly interested in my business, told me that it was simply too late in the year to special order an '02 VR6, because production has begun on the '03 model, and after checking his computer, told me that the car I'm looking for (colors, options, etc.) is not available at any dealership in the region, nor is there one at port or at the factory. However, Dealer A still assures me that they can order the exact car I want. My preference, obviously, was to work with dealer A - my discussion with them was the most positive car shopping experience I've ever had. FYI, I'm female and went to the dealerships by myself. But, if they're just shining me on about being able to order the car, I'm going to be really ticked off. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    I would suggest you send VW an email directly to find out for sure.
    My guess would be that production of the '02 VR6s have stopped, the '03s are supposed to be at dealerships within the next 4-8 weeks.
  • frntwhlrfrntwhlr Posts: 3
    Picked up my first vw a couple weeks ago. 02
    (1.8t)black gti 5 spd with black cloth, 17" wheels, sunroof & monsoon system w/cd changer in back.This thing is alot of fun to drive! I do
    have one question. I thought the dealer said the
    car had a rev limiter on it, but can't find anything in the manual about it. Can anybody
    help?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    when in say 1st gear, rev it until the engine cuts out (in the red zone of the tachometer). If you constantly do it, it's a quick way to ruin the engine
  • ril1297ril1297 Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying 02 GTI 1.8T. However, heard a lot about driver and passenger windows falling
    down into the doors, on 2000 models (Bazaar..), and squeaks in the dash and seat areas.

Has anyone experienced this in the 01 or 02 models yet?
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Posts: 75
    I've had my 2002 GTI 1.8t since Feb. 10 and have almost 2k miles on it. No squeaks so far anywhere. The emission system light is the only abnormality so far.

Anyway great car I think you'll find that it can meet all of your needs - I know that I'll never buy a normal sedan again.
    Just a dash rattle
  • xjoelxjoel Posts: 4
    about purchasing a 02 or 03 VW GTI 1.8T for my son. I just wanted to know if this would be a good car for a 17 year old as this is really what he wants.
    Thanks
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    I wouldn't give a 17 year old a turbocharged car. Something along the lines of a used family sedan would be more prudent, as his insurance rates will be relatively high.
    I believe the redline for the 1.8T is 6400 RPM, but I'm not quite sure. On my VR6, my redline was moved to 7100 RPM with my chip.

My drivers side window reg is about to fail. The window is rolling up VERY slowly and I will one day have the window fall into the door. VWoA is covering these after warranty because it is a known POS part. Just call up customer care and open a case number.

- Anthony
    It's a good car. Requires lots of oil changes.

Watch out for the 17 year old spending a lot of money on it, as the aftermarket for it is huge.
  • davio1davio1 Posts: 1
    Can anyone relate their experience with their 1.8T in a warm weather environment? I'm moving to Macon, GA (not by personal choice) and am worried that running the A/C on the 1.8T will cause overheating problems. Years ago I had an '84 Jetta that ran very hot with the A/C full blast.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Running the AC should have no effect whatsoever on the engine's temperature. I don't own a 1.8T, but both my brother and mom have an 01 Audi A4 with the same engine in central and south Florida and they have no problems with overheating. I own an 84 GTI (same AC system that was on the 84 Jetta) and have never had a problem with running hot while running the AC (I live in northern Florida about 3 hours south of Macon). In fact, the engine stays slightly cooler then average because the radiator fan runs constantly. There must have been something wrong with your radiator, thermostat, water pump, or switch that turned the radiator fan on. Believe me, it wasn't normal and should not cause you to worry about a much more modern car. The only thing you will need to be concerned about is changing your oil. Heat is the enemy of oil and all that hot and humid air combined with the higher heat produced by a turbo will require that you be religious in changing your oil often.
    As a new owner of a GTI 1.8t I am very pleased with it. It is a great blend luxury, power, stability, utility, and economy. Having said that I would suggest that a 17 y.o. would be better served with a Golf TDI. It has more doors, less power, but will save you on the bottom line price, insurance and gas(42/49mpg). I have a feeling he saw the picture in Motortrend where they are doing burnouts with this car, and was duly impressed.
  • 68bullitt68bullitt Posts: 177
    Anyone have a 2002 GTI/Golf/Jetta that was built after Sept. 2001 that has had any problems with their window regulators (e.g., window falling into the door)? I'm trying to figure out if VW has fixed this problem that has been plaguing pre-2002 MkIV cars. Thanks.
  • nixomosenixomose Posts: 95
    I had a 1992 GTI (got stolen) bought a used 87 16v, bought really nice Yokohama AVI 55i 205/55ZR14 tires, then sold it for a 1999.5 VR6. My realization that the tires wouldn't fit the VR6 didn't come until after I bought the car, so now I have these really nice tires that I have no use for. Is there's a selling forum around here anywhere? The problem is they're the oddball size VW put in the 16v mk2s. But they're really nice tires. I realize now I should have gotten bigger wheels and normal (more commonly sized) tires, but alas this is the state of things. If anybody knows where there are mk2 fans in need of this size tire, I'd appreciate it.
    Check out vwvortex.com they have forums for such things - good luck
  • Just got my recall notice today 4/13 for the ABS control unit recall. It says unit could overheat resuling in fire. My car is 2002 GTI VR6 but affects some 2001 models as well. Anyone else aware of this recall? took me by surprise.