Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    Except for the add-ons, the 337 is a GTI 1.8T; thus, like all GTI's, it has ABS. (Traction control also, but no ESP.)

The list of add-ons I gave earlier but it is basically wheels, tires, suspension, Votex bodywork, six-speed, manual cloth Recaro seats, Monsoon stereo and different interior trim including a "golf ball" shift knob. There are no options, so no sunroof, leather, nav, xenons, etc.

You can have any color as long as it is silver.

- Mark
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    Recaro's, the M350 slick shifting 6 speed, full Audi TT brakes around, BBS RC 18s and a full 337/Votex body kit.... oh well. :)

It's just not for some people. :/
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    if VW offers "crate" engines for sale, either through dealers or independent sources?

My buddy has been researching engines for a dune buggy racer, and he has long been a fan of the VR6. He thought about getting one, but would rather have the DOHC 2002 version. Price is not an issue really, as he is prepared to spend up to 4500 on the engine, possibly more if the engine is brand new.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    You mean he wants the 24v.

I know Momentum Motorsport in Canada (eh!) gets lots of 24v VR6s. I'm sure you won't have a hard time finding on in Europe somewhere, as they have been out there for a little bit.

- Anthony
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    A friend of mine that has a 2001 VR6 GTI test drove the 24v VR6 and was thoroughly impressed.
  • I am really interested in buying the new VR6, but I was offered a good price on a 6 month old model (about $2500 less) with 4000 miles on it. Are the 200hp and 6 manual speed worth the extra money?
    on the handling? How about VR6 versus 1.8T?

I have heard the 1.8T handles much better, but I am absolutely in love with the new VR6. It is probably one of my favorite engines on the market. Does it really ruin the handling though?
  • tfilibertitfiliberti Posts: 21
    I have a 2002 GTI VR6 (2 valve) and my question is Climatronic. Anyone figure a way to program a different temp than the 72 deg which it defaults to? I find if I turn it off than later turn back on it's back to 72 and I have to hit cooler,cooler,cooler till it's back to "LO" .
    I find the A/C with recirc on doesn't blow out COLD unless it down to "LO". I believe it is being partially heated. That's why I feel the manual system is better. Also I've found on cooler mornings with windows open I feel HEAT out of the vents cause climatronic back to 72 deg so I turn it ON bump it down to "LO" and turn it off to stop heat blowing thru vents, of course recirc will do same thing. But with windows open I don't mind wind forced air thru the vents as long as it isn't heated :-) That's why I'm not that great a fan of Climatronic either !
  • oscarkatoscarkat Posts: 3
    I test drove both the VR6 and 1.8 T. I think they both handle great. I would test drive both your self. If you like the handling of the VR6, buy it. I love my VR6 but I had considered the 1.8 T. I had a Jetta loner car with 1.8T with an automatic and I hated the combo. The Turbo is fast but it is a handful in heavy city traffic. It is definitely a turbo. I prefer the VR6 w/ manual in DC traffic my self. Anyway I would drive them both.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    you should try the TDI with the manual for kicks in DC traffic.

At idle (no gas applied) here are the approximate speed it will idle:

1st: 5 mph
    2nd: 10 mph
    3rd: 15 mph
    4th: 20 mph
    5th: 25 mph

Just let go of the clutch slowly and it will idle along for you.
    ------------------------------------------------

On another note, when will we get the GTI TDI???
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    Europe gets a lot of nice TDI engines we don't get over here because of our high sulfer content diesel. VW has some high performance diesel engines in Europe that would smoke our VR6 and 1.8t's and I'm not talking exhaust smoke. I actually test drove a Golf TDI out of curiosity and really liked it -not enough to actually buy one though. If I piled the miles on my car I'd have seriously considered one. I usually drive about 10k miles a year divided between two cars.
    I would appreciate it if you could put this discussion in Coupes and Convertibles as well as Hatchbacks...kinda like the Mini Cooper discussion. Thanks
  • jwiser1jwiser1 Posts: 9
    are chick cars.
    So a GTI is a chick car, but an Altima is not?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    I'll forward your suggestion onto the appropriate sources. Thanks for the feedback.

Btw, if the GTI is a "chick" car, then it must be a cool car. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    There are WAY too many cars that get labeled chick cars. Every female I know hates the GTI/Golf anyway.
    They are boring four door family sedans.
    Actually, I have never seen a chick driving a GTI. I see a lot of twenty-something guy drivers. Matter of fact, that is all I have seen driving this car. I guess it is not a chicks car after all. I retract my previous statement.
    you were thinking of the Cabrio? Now THAT is a chick car.
    Is it ever!!!
  • Contrary to popular belief on this board, chics do drive GTIs. Here in New England I've seen a lot of chics driving them, as I do myself. And yes, I even have the VR6! I just wish it was more reliable and didn't cost a fortune to repair! And, as my username indicates, chics are also engineers too. :)
    ...but would you call it a chick car?
  • The Cabrio is the chick car! The GTI is usually bought by driving enthusiasts, which usually aren't female. Most females don't care what they drive and don't care about performance, and usually don't drive standards. And note my disclaimer, 'usually'. I picked the GTI because I wanted a hatchback with a good German clutch, good handling and the F....A.....S.....T....VR6 engine. Plus the color really sold me, the driver's yellow, offered in the Make 3's.
    Maybe I should relocate to new england as New Jersey and south....there's the lack of engineering chicks.

Just wondering which branch of engineering?

Psst, it's Mark 3
  • manufacturing engineer...industrial by training

I stand corrected on the Mark 3 term, oops.
    Project Engineer (Mechanical)

Trained mostly in manufacturing and quality engineering (it includes working for a VW supplier also....)

you're on vortex right?
  • kryosynthkryosynth Posts: 1
    7 months ive had this thing. Got the Air bag system repaired and both window regulators repaired. Including the glass and tint of course since they got shattered from the regulator failure. And generally speaking, VW service is just CRAPPY. But i do recommend Osborne on west colfax at around wadsworth.
    Window regulators....the common problem with the MKIV's.

Though I heard that the tint will actually help speed the regulators to its death. According to a non-VW mechanic...a "automotive repair expert" Pat Goss (who is probably going to see the regular fail in his New Beetle sooner or later)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    TDI is one model and 1.8T is an entirely different model. The GTI is not offered in the US with TDI so all I can think is that you do not own a VW or you are lacking even the basic knowledge of what model car you own. Either way there is a new design part for window regulator repair that may end the regulator failures.