Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I heard VW issued a TSB that covers the replacement of the regs for a number of years.
  • Yes that poorly designed piece of computer is the absolute worst 'feature' of the car.

My only problem with vwvortex is that it's too big. This forum is a lot easier to read, although I realize it doesn't get the volume.
    Thanks.
    the recirc flaps in the ventilation goes quite often in the climatronic. the climatronic has the twin flaps, where regular ones have one.
  • Say that again? You have an idea of what I'm talking about. Any info on this somewhere I can read, and maybe how to fix?
    thanks for any info.
  • mpg5mpg5 Posts: 68
    any info appreciated. i am thinking 20k-20.5k for 2003 gti w/lux and 17"'s. i want silverstone, so anyone who bought one i would appreciate the post. i realize demographics come into play, but any info would be helpful as i plan on negotiating px this weekend and placing my order. thanks. btw, i'm on long island.
    I'll type the thing in tomorrow. I found it in the UK VW Driver Magazine.
  • I went out a couple weeks ago with a friend that got an 03 GTI, Lux, leather, 17's from my dealer - he paid $850 under MSRP plus they threw in the heavy duty GTI rubber floor mats. He wanted Silverstone but all they had in stock was a silver one and two black ones. He was so hyped he couldn't wait for a Silverstone so he got the Reflex silver one - same color as my 02 GTI :-(
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Posts: 94
    Is a base Audi TT (fwd) really worth the significant price premium over a Golf if they are for all intents and purposes very similar vehicles?

Some Golfs are even built in Germany while TT's are assembled in Hungary.

Love the look of the TT but you hear of reliability/quality control issues as well as the huge $$$ difference. Your thoughts?
  • I have a 2000 GTI/GLX, and the window on the driver's side recently fell into the door. I called VW customer service, and mentioned that the dealer said it was a common problem. I then asked why a recall was not done, since everyone is prone. VW then arranged for a n/c repair.(my GTI has 49k). If the window problem happens, and it probably will. Go to VW for help.
    Good Luck!
  • As far as I know, all Golfs/GTIs sold in the US are built in Brazil, so that's no real advantage or disadvantage compared to a Hungary built TT.

But yeah, the GTI 1.8t and TT amount to very similar cars with very drastic price differences. It's not worth it to me, especially considering how much more room the GTI has inside for people and stuff, though it may be worth it to some.

A special-edition GTI, like the 337 or the possibly upcoming 20th anniversary edition seem to be the best deal to me.

Mike
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    some of the golfs built in Germany? I thought it was just the jettas and beetles that are built in Brazil...also in mexico? The Central/South American VW's are REALLY poorly built - stuff begins to fall apart in less than two years..

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I'm pretty sure there are tons of Golfs built in Germany, but they don't come to America that I know of. As far as I know (emphasis on that), all US Jettas/NewBeetles are built in Mexico and all US Golfs/GTIs are built in Brazil. I haven't seen one in lot cruises with something else on the sticker anyway.

If anyone has information to the contrary, feel free to correct me.

Mike
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    All GTI and Golf are currently assembled in Brazil. In 1999 some Golf were assembled in Mexico and then assembly was in Germany from 1999 to early 2001, then in early 2001 all Golf and GTI were sourced from Brazil. Jetta Wagon is built in Germany as is the Passat. Jetta Sedan, Cabrio (no longer being made), and New Beetle are assembled in Mexico. Quality seems to be unaffected by country of assembly.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    but long term reliability and repair costs are HEAVILY affected by whether or not the car is built in germany or not.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

the Golf variant....the Golf wagon.

The US and Canadian market get the Jetta wagon...others have a Golf front end on it.
  • yg3yg3 Posts: 1
    I have a GTI 2001 and recently started a problem with the passenger door lock which was not operating from neither the remote or the door button. I have been twice to the dealer and still trying to figure out what it is. They fix it and breaks the same afternoon and I had to pay since it was out of the basic warranty. Being from Europe I have heard horror stories for the electrical systems of VW and I should have known better...
  • inigocoinigoco Posts: 51
    The problem is not likely an electrical one since the door locks are vacuum operated. Have the dealer check all that stuff.
  • inigocoinigoco Posts: 51
    reliability and repair costs for these cars are not affected by where the car is produced. They all use the same part for assembly, they just put them together in different countries. It's not even as though there is a lot of human contact anyway. Vehicles these days are built by machines with humans making sure that everything is moving smoothly. Where the car is built only affects how much it will cost to transport the finished product to the final destination. BMW builds cars here in South Carolina and Mercedes Benz has plants in Alabama also, I don't here anyone claiming they are having problems with their cars because they are not built in Germany. As far as repair cost, that will not change because of where your car is built either. If you need a part it will be the same part that the German or Mexican, or Brazillian plant put on it in the first place, they will all cost the same. You won't get special German-built pricing on any of your parts.
  • I'm not sure if Mercedes and BMW are good examples. I'm not personally familiar enough with the reliability of the US built models compared to the reliability of the overseas built models, but as far as I know, the Z3, X5, and ML-class don't have a good reputation in that area.

I wonder how the reliability of South African-built vs. German-built 3-series is though. I expect not much difference. I just wonder.

Mike
  • header2header2 Posts: 10
    I'm had my 1.8 GTI, 02 for over a year now, last Monday 1 yr birthday, no complaints with the car since it's a blast to drive. 2 points worth noting though

Although the GTI has a 4 yr warranty, you only get 1 yr for any creaks or rattles from the doors, bodywork, dash etc. This may not be common knowledge since no one told me when I was buying it. After 1 yr if you want a noise looked at it might cost you.

The window problem is very common, the lifters for the glass are half metal/ half plastic and in hot climates with a dark coloured car the temperature in the door will make the plastic brittle and it will break. This happened to me 8 wks ago, both windows failed within 2 weeks of each other, the dealer has been a pain about it saying that it can take up to 8 wks to get the parts. Since this is a known problem, VW should just have these kits at all the dealers, plus they won't replace them until they break.