Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    are a huge problem in jettas/golfs.

Oftentimes production location of a car will determine the parts source for the car too. A lot of the japanese models built in the U.S. use U.S. parts for the engine and occasionally tranny as well, and certainly for incidentals like windows, switches, and the like. Why pay the premium to import them from another country?

It is not uncommon to see reliability problems crop up even in Toyotas and Hondas, where the ones that are American-built are more problem-prone than the ones imported from Japan. That is one of the reasons they have mandated having that sticker on the car saying where the car was built when it is new. You can actually walk around a Toyota dealership right now, for instance, and see Japan-built corollas and American-built ones, and pick one based on its Japan build, if you like. or whatever.

Point is, where a car is built changes a lot about its build quality and parts make-up. Don't you think otherwise, that it is just a little bit of a coincidence that passats have average to above average reliability as a group, while beetles are some of the most unreliable and repair-prone cars out there today, with jettas not far behind?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

It is much more than a coincidence that the VW models sold here that are built in Mexico or Brazil are so much more problem-prone than the identical models sold elsewhere in the world...

• inigocoinigoco Posts: 51
    Last I checked there aren't nearly the number of problems with New Beetles as there are with the Jettas even though the NB's are built in Mexico. The Jettas and Golf seem to have the most problems, especially the cheaper versions like the GL's. The uplevel version of each as well as the GTI's have less problems overall and they are not all built in Germany either. I believe it all comes down to "You get what you pay for" If you want a better built car, you pay for it.
    for $18-20K, "you get what you pay for"..in other words for all that money (maybe not a lot to carmakers, but darn plenty to many of the people buying these cars) you don't get a car you can count on NOT to cost you an arm and a leg in repairs and leave you stranded or annoyed on a regular basis?

• mikosmikos Posts: 6
    uh.. they may be wrong.. but according to Edmunds.. the 2003 GTI VR6 is built in Wolfsburg, Germany. AND 20 - 20.5G for this car with the luxury package... isn't going to happen. Invoice on that particular VW with that package is about $21,600. Add a grand for the dealer and you're looking at 22.5 plus T&L. however, I wish you well finding a 2003 GTI VR6 that hasn't been bundled with leather.. I've yet to see one. so that'll tack on another $800.
    I'm not sure where the VR6 GTI prices came from, but you can get the 1.8T GTI for $19K-$21K, but yes the VR6's are more expensive, but to some it's worth it. Especially since they now have the 200 HP VR6 and the 6-speed trans. You can get the VR6's without leather as well since VW changed the model designations for 2002. I understand what you are saying, however, that dealers are more likely to have leather-equipped seats in them already, which is pretty likely. I guess the best way to go about it is to just order your car from the factory and get everything you want and nothing you don't.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    You guys talk about these vague "problems" with the GTI/ Golf but other than the window regulator issue these are not problematic cars. My Brazilian built 02 1.8t GTI is year old with 12k miles and hasn't had a single problem - not even a window regulator failure. I've done a lot of performance modifications to it and take it to the track and SCCA Autocross it on a regular basis. It's driven a lot harder than typical without a problem. And the problem with the regulators has been solved - the old regulators had nylon clips that failed - VW has redesigned the regulators with metal clips and are even replacing window regulators on cars that are out of warranty free of charge. All late 02 on Golfs and Jettas have the new regulators.

The biggest beef on the New Beetles was a hatch rattle that VW solved a long time ago. Like any car company VW addresses problems and is continually upgrading their cars.

I get tired of hearing a particular car company's vehicles built outside of their home base aren't as well built. Last time I checked cars are mostly built by robot and most anything that fails in a car is a particular part that could have been made anywhere - the failed German part didn't fall off the car because a Brazilian was having a bad day at the VW plant - get real. I hope you aren't implying that Brazilians or Mexicans are somehow inferior and can't build a quality product under VW's supervision - that would be racist. Or Americans for that matter in the case of the X5 and Z3 - are German citizens the only people that can build cars properly? Do you think VW or BMW (or Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc, etc) are worried that Mexicans, Brazilians or Americans are building their cars and screwing up their reputations??? thats just stupid

I bought an AMERICAN BUILT X5 3.0 last year about a month before the BRAZILIAN BUILT GTI - no problems with the X either and 3 of my friends have various Z3's that are fanatical about them. Not once did I ever consider where either vehicle was built.

The GTI and X5 are extremely well made cars, top notch fit and finish, flawless paint, rock solid dependability, BMW and VW don't build inferior products period.
    except for the X5s that went up in flames...those were probably inferior...LOL

• jsg5jsg5 Posts: 4
    I test drove a 2003 GTI 1.8T today, and the salesman said they were built in Brazil and that VW had fixed the window problem in the 03 models by replacing the plastic clip with the more durable metal part.
    I liked the car a lot but am leery of overall reliability.
    A friend of mine has the 01 Beetle and has had some minor repairs to things like control switches and knobs.
    The window reulator problem has been solved. All VW's built after July 2002 have the new metal clips to replace the problematic older, plastic clips.

As far as all the other problems, like those that jsg5 stated, those are minor problems that shouldn't steer one away from a certain car. I have an '02 GTI 1.8T, my friend has a '00 Beetle Turbo with a number of mods, another friend has an '02 Jetta 1.8T, another with a '00 Jetta 1.8T and I also have a friend with a '99 Jetta 2.0. The only one of us who's had any kind of a problem was the friend I have with the '99. She bought hers used and it wasn't in the best shape when she got it, so that doesn't exactly say anything bad about VW, just the previous owner. All of our other cars have performed perfectly well. Any kind of a problem with control switches or knobs is surely something minor that could happen to any other vehicle. If something simple like that is enough to get you to decide against a car, then you likely won't be buying one any time soon because those types of repairs are performed on all vehicles, not just VW's. The switches and knobs are not usually even built by the car company itself, they farm their work out to other supliers and just install the parts in their factory. So, it's also likely that many of these switches and knobs are built by the same company that would supply many other car manufacturers as well.
  • jsg5jsg5 Posts: 4
    I admit that if I really liked a car I wouldn't let a few minor glitches run me off. But I do worry that small problems can reflect larger inconsistencies in the car which could develop into substantial repairs down the road. Like they say, where there's smoke there's fire.
    It may be that I'm a bit spoiled. I've owned 4 Hondas over the last 20 years and have had very few problems with them. In particular, none of their control switches fell off or stopped working within 1 year of purchase.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    one thing to remember is the knob goes only up, down, left, and right. Doing diagonals will break the knob.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    I've owned 4 VW's over the years and my sister has owned 4 or 5 Hondas. I can't say that my VW's are any better or worse than her Honda's over the long haul (100k + miles). VW's tend to have minor glitches from time to time but alwayst start and run, I've never been stranded by a VW - just like a Honda.

VW's are much more complex than a typical Honda (especially electronics) so it makes sense that there is more to go wrong. ABS, ASC(traction control) 6 airbags, remote entry, power mirrors, locks etc. etc. are standard on even the most basic VW.

I've never had a control knob fall off my VW's.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    Since 2001 (I had one of the last 2001 GTIs made in Wolfsburg, prod. date 6/00) all GTIs/Golfs have been made in the new factory in Brazil.

What difference does it make if you have Hungarians working in the Wolfsburg factory making your car or Brazilians in the Brazilian factory making your car? All are managed by Germans, in some cases that I've heard, quality reports are better from Brazil.
    well, one of the most common problems of late on many VW's is the darn power windows - are these a "lot more complex" windows than Honda's? Seems like a sheet of glass that goes up and down under the action of a motor, at least to me.

the window regulator problem has been solved. VW issued a TSB saying all A4's are covered for the window regulator repair
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    from purchase date regardless of mileage. After that it's on a case to case basis.

I just bought a Wolfsburg now and sold my GTI, so I have to worry about 4 windows failing. :D
    Before I tint my windows...I'm making sure I get the updated window regulators
  • glerlglerl Posts: 1
    Anyone had a problem with a leaky hydraulic line in the clutch?

That's the diagnosis I got from my dealer who is asking for $350 to fix it. The car starts fine, but when I put it in gear and disengage the clutch, the whole car shuts down. I've only had this car for a year and together with the window regulators, this is my third trip to the repair shop. I'm just over the 24,000 mi warranty, so VW USA is giving me the stonewall. I've never had repairs with my previous experiences with Acura and Honda, so now I'm regretting I decided to make the switch to "German Engineering". On top of that, why doesn't VW offer loaner cars to their consumers. I'm sure if I brought in an Audi or Porsche, I'd get one no problem. With Acura, I could get one on a whim. Anyone have any suggestions on how I could convince VW to pay for this repair......service bulletins, implied warranties, lemon laws? I think there is a big discrepency in the fact that 2002 VWs come with 48,000 mi warranties, while 2001 models only come with 24K.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Sorry to hear about your clutch problem. While you're waiting for feedback here, you can search for other similar problems in this discussion with our Advanced Vehicle search on the left side of the page; look for it right below the open Search Box.

Have you tried talking directly with VW 800 customer service to what they could do to help you out, since you're just over the 24k warranty? If you're not getting a response, you may want to try speaking directly to someone a little higher up the ladder... instead of just the customer service phone advisor. Also, sending a letter detailing your disappointment might be more effective than just simply reporting the situation over the phone. Just an idea.

Others here may have more to add. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards