Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• xeninxenin Posts: 3
    Hi all:

I thought I'd get relatively the most neutral answers here instead of from brand specific enthusiast forums. I've narrowed my purchase down to an 06 RSX-S or a new GTI, I test drove the Si but decided it's not for me and I'd gladly take either car mentioned above over it. Now I've test driven the RSX-S 4 times and the new GTI twice.

I like the RSX-S very much, in fact, in the past couple of weeks that I've been researching I've thoroughly considered cars from Scion tC to a base model 350Z or RX-8, there were good thing about each and every one of them but I find myself coming back to RSX every time, I've even crossed it off the list after test driving the WRX but somehow it came back after a few days, that's how much I like it.

But after test driving the new GTI I just think that it offers everything that the RSX offers but does them a little bit better. More interior and exterior features, a little more variation in styling, steering wheel is a bit better, brakes are a bit better, ride is a bit better, space is a bit better etc etc etc. It's just an overall more complete car, I liked the car a little bit better in every aspect, well, maybe not EVERY aspect, because it's still better to have the 8100rpm redline of the K20 engine, it's just completely insane when you get up there in the revs, feels like a little serious racer.

What's stopping me from buying a GTI, however, is the concern with overall reliability and dealership customer service. My projected time frame of ownership is AT THE MINIMUM 5 years and really planning to keep it for about 8 years, roughly in the 100~130k miles range. Now with the Acura I'm pretty certain it will offer me relatively cheap and trouble-free motoring for the time that I plan on keeping it, but with the GTI, I'm not so sure. I'm not so sure it will properly get me to my finals on time, I'm not so sure it's not gonna leave me stranded half way to my first job's interview, I'm not so sure it's not gonna make me call a tow truck when I'm on a road trip. Due to Volkswagen's recent history I just simply CAN'T be sure, this will be my only car so I NEED it to work all the time and every time. And the dealership service as well, als from recent history and reports, apparently VW service is among some of the worst in the auto industry, well at least here in the US. Having problems or the need for maintenance is one thing, having problems while dealing with a dealership's service apartment that just doesn't give a damn about your stupid little car is just double the frustration. That is the other major concern I have over the future ownership of a GTI if I choose to purchase it.

I liked the GTI quite a lot, it offered the perfect blend of performance, luxury, sophistication and styling and just enough spunk to set it apart from the crowd. But that's the impression I got from driving two brand spanking new vehicles with less than 20 miles on the odometer, what about when that reaches 2,000 miles? what about 20,000? What about 120,000? I can't help but wonder.

What do you guys think?
  • I have a 2004 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T. I bought this car in Sept 2004 and to date have put over 35k miles on it. I have had no real issues with the car except for some minor interior items.

Now of course I bought a 2004... which is basically the last ones VW made before the new MKV. That means that most of the issues (and there was a lot of issues) with the older 2000-2003 had been resolved in the 2004. I think your fears are not unfounded. This is a first generation VW and I wouldnt doubt that it will have some issues.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701
    On the other hand, the new Mark V isn't a first year Volkswagen.

It's been out in Europe since 2003, and the US spec vehicle is made at the same Wolfsburg plant that makes the European spec GTI's.

So the same factory crew is making both the US and Euro spec GTI's in the same factory.

I'd imagine that if it does have problems, it'd be more along the lines of the problems found on the third year of a production.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    I think your Dealer concerns are more important than your concerns over the vehicle. Otherwords, IF there is an issue will it be taken care of ? With a 6/60K powertrain warranty one would assume that IF you were going to have an major issue is would occur by then.

To confuse things more, the Acura is about 100 Times more likey to be Stolen/theft than the V dub. How that equates to your insurance rates im not sure.

Good luck,
    DL
  • Yes yes the insurance on the RXS-S might very well be significantly more than the VW. Also if you plan to modify the car you should look at the aftermarket for that specific car.
  • If reliability as close to perfect as possible is your number one concern, you really have no choice. VWs are a bit hit and miss. I have been very lucky, but clearly, by all measures, they are not as reliable as Hondas or Acuras. Now, having said that, I would also add that the better VWs of the past are only about a factor two less reliable than the best cars out there. So, if something breaks in your Acura after 1 1/2 years, chances are, 2 things will have broken in the VW. That is clearly more, but is not 10 times as bad, or so. Also, more than likely, whatever breaks will be fixed for free under the excellent warranty, and possibly simply when you have your oil change done.

As for long-term reliability, I would take a well-maintained VW any day over a Honda or Toyota. For vehicles driven normal mileage (around 15K miles/year, or so), all well-maintained VWs I have encountered have had a better record and cheaper cost-of-ownership after 100,000 miles or so than the Hondas and Toyotas my friend and family have had. Anectdotal, for sure. But among enthusiast VW drivers (who actually have oil changes and timing belts etc. done), you will find many with cars in the 150,000 to >200,000 range that are still going strong.

Last but not least, the MkV has been out for a while now, in Europe, and is by far Europe's best selling car. VW has been trying to improve their reliability, and in my opinion, they are definitely on their way up.
  • xeninxenin Posts: 3
    I've decided to go with the GTI, I probably care about my car more than I care about myself so I'll definitely maintain it properly, reliability and ownership costs aside, the GTI really wins my heart.
    Congrads, Enjoy the ride ;)

DL
  • Allhorizon, I totally agree with you when you talk about long term reliability. A few years back I bought a 91 golf that had around 100k miles. The lady I bought it from had a vanilla folder of all the preventive maintenance service paperwork. I drove that car for another 100k miles and never had any mechanical issues.

Hopefully I can talk the wife into parting her protégé 5 for a new GTI. Is it true we are getting a 4 door version?
  • May-June for the Golf, ~end of July for the GTI.
    I was told here in Dallas, the 3 door showed up one day a Month early. And the 5 door was not out of the question for April-May.

DL
  • > As for long-term reliability, I would take a well-maintained VW any day over a Honda or Toyota.

I definitely agree with you and poggensee. I bought my 1997 Jetta Trek (which had 80,000 miles on it) from my local VW dealer. After replacing the coil (which was probably why the previous owner traded it in) a tuneup, and a little TLC (synthetic oil changes w/OEM oil filters), I've been driving it ever since without any problems (the car just turned 170,000 on the odometer).
  • I just returned a brand new 2006 gti to the dealer after only 2 days and voided the contract due to the a/c blowing hot air with the a/c @ 65 degrees. Also, the radio and cd player volume drops in and out for no apparent reason. I currently have a loaner car from the dealer while I await a new gti from germany. It will be arriving march 15 and I have till then to decide if to buy the gti or just return the loaner and get a honda. I was advised by several friends not to get a vw due to reliability issues but after researching the gti and reading how vw has vowed to improve these issues I decided to buy the gti. I am disappointed because for the short time I had the car I fell in love with the car's interior and the ride. What do you think I should do? :(
    Well, yesterday I traded in my old VW GTI for the new Mark V GTI.

And mine does indeed blow hot air when I set it to 65 degrees. HOWEVER, it was 22 degrees this morning, so that makes sense. Once it reached 65 degrees, though, the hot air stopped and the climate control worked properly.

Could it be that it was a chilly morning in which setting the climate control to 65 would warrant hot air? My folks live in Florida and have said that it's been kind of chilly last week.

As for the radio, I have noticed that the volume does drop sometimes. Mainly due to a loss in signal reception. The only station that I've found it happening to is the one station that my last car's radio had trouble picking up at times.

I haven't tried the CD player yet, so I can't really comment.
  • Wow, your dealer must earn a lot of money to allow you to "void your contract" and give you a loaner due to radio reception issues. From what you are saying, it seems to me, perhaps this is not the right car for you. But then, I don't know what car would be.
  • Guys, it wasn't a chilly morning and it wasn't the climate control working, it was a malfunction that happend for 2 days. If the a/c was set to its coldest it was fine but as soon as you notched it up 1 degree it would activate the heater and blow as hot as it possibly could. As far as the radio it was happening with the cd and radio so it wasn't the reception. I would not post if I wasn't sure of what I was saying. The manager at the dealer was nice enough to give me a second new gti for 2 days while they checked the problems, the 2nd gti had the same problem with the radio which the manager admitted there was a problem. As far as the 1st gti they couldn't get the a/c to reproduce the problem but they admiitted that they had heard of a possible cause. They also said they couldn't figure out why the cd and radio were doing that. They took the 2nd gti back and yes were nice enough to give me a loaner jetta while they ordered another gti. I wasn't trying to offend you guys just trying to get some input. Previous cars, honda accord ex v6, 2003 mustang cobra which was stolen thats why I'm buying this car. :)
    Try having the dealer look for a similar GTI from the surrounding VW dealerships in the state. There should be a few others around in Florida or Georgia.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    imageimageimageimage

This is at VW of Coconut Creek, FL. Not sure if that's where your dealer is but this should increase chances of getting a GTI with climate control that does not have the same issue you described. I know in FL, we live and die by the A/C. :)
    Holey Moley!

That's a lot of GTI's. Oh yes, that's a lot of GTI's.

:P
    No Joke ! and color coated to boot. Our local 7 dealers have between 3-6 cars each....

DL
  • Good pictures! My dealer said they can see all the gti in the USA and that there were not any available that were black with 0 option package and automatic. I didn't believe them so I called 3 different VW dealers and they all said they had that car. My dealer said they were lying to me because they just wanted me to come to their location. My dealer told me to ask them for a vin #, once I did that all of a sudden they said OH! we don't have a black auto with 0 option package. So finally my dealer gave me 2 options a black gti with auto & option package 1 (sunroof and sirius) for $500 usually $1300 or wait until march 15 for one to arrive from germany which was on a boat in germany. I said I'd wait but now I think I should have taken the option 1 for $500.
  • Hi there,

What are the chances that, sometime in the VERY near future in the land of the free we will begin to see the Golf V GTI in 4 doors as the rest of the World has.

I have recently emigrated to the US and, to my horror, the Golf V GTI is not only UN-available in the US, but may end up coming in a 2 door derivative?

I once had the pleasure of owning this sweet pea, and this is what it looked like:

I had a metallic blue color though. But just wanted to show that, unlike the rest of the World, we're a pretty isolated bunch here.
  • If you look at the posts above, you can see that the GTI has indeed been available in the US (for about a month, now).

The 5-door GTI is projected to arrive end of July, the Golf end of June. :shades:
    July 29th is the day to look forward to. I, myself, am holding out for the 5-door. Hopefully, VW will make it a 2007 model and have launch control. :)
    bailey, I think I would have taken option #1. See if they will still give you the same deal. Good Luck.
  • nmrtnmrt Posts: 56
    Last week i bought a Mk IV 1.8T GTI. i would appreciate if someone would shed some light on the functionality of a rear spoiler for the GTI that is sold by VW as an accessory. is it mostly aesthetic or does it really create appreciable downforce?

thanks.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    I guess I could also mention here that the GTI won against the SI and the JCW supercharged Mini Cooper in the April R&T comparison.
  • Hey GTI fans.I just got my 06 VW GTI yesterday and wanted to share it with all of you. I put up numerous pictures of the vehicle in and out on my carspace. Just look for the Talbotautos name. Please send me your feedback to my carspace mail box. I love the car but I want to hear what my fellow GTI fans thing. Thanks again guys.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Nice photos! I saw them on your page at http://www.carspace.com/talbotautos

Congrats!