Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,752
    Sounds like first year car blues. Some aspects of the USA GTI, like AC/heater calibration, radio, etc., may be unique to the USA (our environment is different than Germanys'), and possibly that calibration or hardware is marginal. Let's hope VW gets the bugs squashed pronto!

I'm not bashing VW; every car maker has this trouble, even Toyota (my first year Camry had quite a few glitches that the later models ironed out).
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    Let's hope VW gets the bugs squashed pronto!

What bugs? I have been monitoring a number of MKV boards, and I have been pleasantly surprised that there seem to be very few if any common, early issues.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    I'd have to agree. Watching real closely since VW is not known for reliability and there hasn't been a downpour of issues.
  • spektrespektre Posts: 80
    Has anyone seen one with Nav yet? I know it's supposed to be available, but I have yet to see it in person or in any dealer's inventory online...
  • meatsosmeatsos Posts: 1
    Mine is coming on on Wednseday or Thursday of next week, i will keep you posted
  • IMPORTANT INFO about the RSX.
    I'm doing research on what car I will buy in the next month or two. My considerations are also similar to yours: RSX, GTI, and the honda Civic SI.

Here's what i've found about the RSX. The manual transmission for all models (base or type S) has problems with the 2nd gear(grinds) and the third gear popping out. I found this just browsing on google and checking customer reviews. This is for all model years. Go do a search yourself and you'll see a lot of forum/board posts about the grinding issues. I've also found a petition by a couple of thousand people against Acura/HONDA.
    i'm still considering the RSX (automatic transmission). Yeah, it's no fun to drive an auto. but I'm looking for a car to commute in the city(i'd be fine with manual if I didn't live near downtown Los angeles) . But my top choice at this time is the GTI. I can get both manual and automatic. I just dont know how reliable the car is just like you.
    I'm likely to get a GTI. cause it's been out in europe for 3 years now. And it also comes from there.
  • jburleigjburleig Posts: 16
    I turn 40 in August. I am thinking about the 5 door GTI as a birthday present to myself. Am I too old for this car? Don't want to appear like a silly ole fool. I like the new Passat, but the GTI is the one that pulls my heartstrings.
    I'll be 38 in July - I know I'm not too old for the 5-door, which I expect to have in my hands right around my birthday!

I'm a big believer in "You're only as old as you feel" ;)
  • mpg7mpg7 Posts: 17
    I'LL BE 42 IN AUGUST AND WOULD BUY ONE IN A SECOND IF I NEEDED A NEW CAR. BTW, CELEBRATED MY 40TH WITH WAAAAAAY TOO MANY MARGARITAS....IT WAS A TON OF FUN THOUGH!!! :shades:
  • 4itgog4itgog Posts: 15
    I've had 4 GTIs in the past, and as I push 57, the 4-door is looking too good. It's an addiction that does'nt fade with age.
  • jburleigjburleig Posts: 16
    Thanks, everybody. Glad to hear there are guys like me out there. I feel younger already.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    I'm older than any of you (59) and if I didn't have a nice new Audi A4, I would certainly put the GTI on my short list. I'd also lower it to Euro specs and reflash the ECU. I'd even consider the DSG, even though I've never owned a car with an auto trans.

Heck, I nearly bought a Subie STI but I couldn't give up those nice Audi (and GTI) interiors.

But the only real question is... what color ya gonna buy?

Byron
    Well, as long as Shipo isn't reading this: I drove the A3 2.0 with DSG, and it's unlike anything you've ever driven before. The shifts are strong and very fast - easily the best transmission I've ever experienced. :D

I'm buying United Gray 5-door DSG with everything (unless the initial Nav reviews are bad - but I'd hate to put aftermarket Nav into that dash).
    I would enjoy reading what folks have to say if they compare an A3 to the new '06 GTI. Both seem to have similar engine, trans and ride/handling.

So far, it seems advantages of GTI is more dealers (more places for factory service) and lower cost. Advantage of Audi is nicer interior and "image".
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Don't forget another sizeable advantage of the A3 vs. the GTI: Free maintenance.

Free maintenance for the first 4 years or 50 thousand miles. The VW does have a better powertrain warranty by one year or 10,000 miles, which is ludicrous, Audi should match that.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Long as you get a '06. '07 bye bye Free Maintence on Audi...

DL
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    That maintenance was never really free... you just paid for it up front in an increased sticker price. I'm pretty sure that Audi will offer a maintenance option with new cars for around five hundred bucks or so. I'd guess the cost will vary with the model.

But with the GTI here now, will VW bring back an R32?...

Byron
    Did you get your GTI with Nav yet? :confuse:

Are you too busy driving to tell us? :shades:
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Absolutely right about maintenance not "really" being free. Nothing is free in life. Only, if you compare equivalently equipped GTI's and A3's, and you're thinking you could save 2.5K on the VW, you better factor in closer to 500 to 1,000 dollars for maintenance for 50,000 to close the gap.

I almost think that extra year and 10,000 miles on the powertrain VW is offering is worth all that free maintenance in and of itself.
  • xeninxenin Posts: 3
    Have had my GTI for a month now and it's been a blast. Initial build quality is very very good compared to all the bad things the general public said about VW in general. 1000 miles and 0 problems, didn't even had that quality in a brand new BMW, nor a Honda, owned both.

I was surprised by the power in the upper rev range, being a turbocharged engine I thought the power would die out pretty quickly nearing the redline, but the pull kept getting stronger all the way to 7k with no hint of letting up. Great car for the money, no regrets at all.

Sorry guys I had my pictures from imageshack but can't them to come up right, someone help!
    It will be interesting to see what Audi does with its pricing once they drop the 'free' maintenance...
  • akitadogakitadog Posts: 117
    If you're still not quite sure, the A3 2.0T w/ Sport package makes it a 5-door GTI. It also has the requisite brand cachet. I'm still debating between the GTI and the A3 myself (I'm 29). I'll be moving into either from a Mini Cooper S (too much trouble to live with, long story). I need the extra rear passenger and cargo room.
    you might want to wait until the 2007 year (not far away!!). Audi has a buncha new S3 engines over in Europe, and one or all of those might migrate to the 2007 A3.

Also, the 5 Door GTI will be out in the summer (or sooner, some posters claim) and, if you don't need Audi luxury or image, that Vdub may prove a fine alternative.
    I really like the A3 - I took a 2.0 DSG out for a spin while waiting for my Allroad to be serviced. It was a phenomenal driver.

But, now that I've seen the 2-door GTI and pics of the 4-door, I find that the A3 styling isn't as pronounced as I first thought it was. I guess what I'm saying is that vs the classic hatch shape of the GTI, the A3 fades into the sea of other compact wagons out there - YMMV.

Finally, getting the cars to about the same configuration level, but of course with a sunroof instead of Open Sky, etc., the GTI seems like a huge bargain - about 6K less...
  • uwahuskyuwahusky Posts: 17
    I was all set to buy an A3 and then a friend showed me pictures of the 4-door GTI. I think it's a sharper car than the A3 and for about $6k less, I thought I'd wait.

Last I heard from my dealer is that the 4-door GTI will be here in July, however I think it'll be more like September. He originally told me May, which is what made me wait on the A3 and hold out for the GTI.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't want to wait another 6 months for my new car.

I do think the A3 will have better leg room for your rear passengers than the GTI.
    The 4 door GTI will be a "first year-er" for VW here. Consumer groups and JDPOWER have found first year cars always have some problems that get nailed in subsequent years.

Do you have a solid VW dealer that will help you through a possible ruff patch with a new model?

Audi has just about gotten through its first year of A3s, (its being in europe 3 years beforehand did not keep it from avoiding some problems with wiring and its sequential trans posted at Edmunds).
    However, the '07 may show up around or before the 4-Door GTI gets here.
  • I just put a deposit on a new GTI. I was not very comfortable with the dealer, but was getting a very good deal so I went ahead with the purchase.
    They told me that the 18" wheels come with Summer Performance tires. Living in NYC, I wanted all-season tires. He told me that he would throw in the all-season tires with the 18" wheels.
    Now I'm doing research and I don't see that option anywhere. Did he lie to me?
    Hmmm, I'm gonna have to call you on this one kurt. The 4-door GTI may be in its first year here, but the car, as the MK-V GTI 4-door, has been available in Europe for several years now. This isn't some special US model, it's built in Germany not South America (I've seen the window sticker.)

It may have a few changes for the US market, but it's far from a "first year-er." Any first year issues have already been resolved.
    If you want the 18" wheels, and he's "throwing-in" the all-seasons, and you're getting a good deal, what's the question again? :)

The 18" tires with the 18" wheels (option PJZ) are Summer performance, and so are the standard 17" tires - the 17" optional tires (option H7K) are "All Season."

This info is from the VW GTI Specs PDF on the VW website. If the dealer is really "throwing-in" 18" All-season tires, that's a heck of a deal as that tire will run you around $200 each to go buy them on your own. :surprise:
  • He's saying that the 18" all-seasons are coming from the factory. No such thing, right?