Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• I really love this car. DO you think i could get a 2003 gti 1.8t with automatic transimission for the mid 18k range?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    http://www.vw-online.de/golf/v6.htm

If you read VW Driver magazine from the UK, it's V6 4Motion...

And you can get the 2.0L 4Motion, 150 TDI PD 4Motion, & 130 TDI PD 4Motion

• rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    They left the R out - it's a VR6, a regular V6 wouldn't fit in a Golf. VW doesn't have 2 versions of the 2.8 or 3.2 engines they are both VR6.

I took a look at that website - you can only get 4Motion with the V6 meaning VR6.
  • inigocoinigoco Posts: 51
    There is a 2.8L V-6 in the VW lineup. The Passat V-6 is a 30 valve V-6, same as the Audi 2.8L engine. That engin would not fit in a Golf chassis hence the use of the VR6 which is a much more compact engine. The 3.2L VR6 is just a newer, larger VR6. It is 3.2L and has 24 valves. It will likely take the place of the standard 2.8L VR6 when the 5th Generation VW's come out in a few years, but we will probably see the motor first offered in the R32 and likely the EuroVan as well.
  • In Germany, they leave out the "R". The engine may be a VR6, as we know it here, but there....(and my information comes from walking into a VW dealer in Munich this past June) I mentioned that my GTI was a "VR6". I asked was the GTI, sold in Germany with the "V6" badge the same car? I was told it was. I asked why do the Germans eliminate the "R" since it designates a particular style of V6 design VW/Munich told me that the Germans leave out the "R" because VW feels the "R" is not necessary, V6 is enough.. Rickover is correct. Its just left out . The V6 engine I was also told would not fit into a Golf engine compartment.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    " don't know where you heard about the crash issue - the VR6 all wheel drive Golf has been on sale in Europe for years - The Audi TT uses the exact same all wheel drive platform as the European Golf and it passes crash tests with flying colors. Your sources are wrong.

My dealer has heard from VW that the R32 will be here around next summer. They are taking deposits for the R32 - started a waiting list this week."

There has been no official press release that the car is coming. VW sales leaked to their dealers that the car is coming to create interest in it.

They are still testing the rear crumple zone for US standards, and the Audi TT is different than the Golf 4motion. There is an issue with the floorpan - but it shouldn't be a big deal. Trust me, my sources aren't wrong.

And yes, the VR6 is called the V6 in Europe.

- Anthony
  • This is fairly official word that the R32 is coming to the U.S.:

"Performance-oriented R32 Golf is U.S.-bound, Volkswagen chief says" I think the title of the article says it all.

Here is a link to the Autoweek article from 10/15.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=vw&cat_code=v_home&loc_code=index&content_code=04359659

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Also, for more discussion on the VW Golf R32, come join us in this new discussion: VW Golf R32. Thanks for your participation.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Yes, and the article says what, 5,000-10,000 R32s to the US? BS. There will be a max of 1,000 units to the us. He also said a starting price of $25,000. You're looking at atleast 32,000 for the R32. I'll get you my info later today.
  • Just got this car today.... My first car and im sooo excited. This thing is a friggin rocket and the tiptronic is sweet. Is it possible to get the 337 body enhancements as aftermarket parts for the 1.8tgti?
    They aren't selling the 337 front lip unless you have a VIN number of a 337, and it has to be authorized by VW. Eventually you'll beable to get them through the driver gear catalog.

However, you can get the side skirts rather easily from some aftermarket vendors. I think RPI carries them. www.rpi-equipped.com

- Anthony
  • Just having reached 1500 miles on the '03 VR6, I changed the oil, as I was advised to do by friends in the VW Service Dept. I was told new engines need to have the metal "filings" removed. And 1,000 to 1,500 miles was the time to do that.
    When I bought my previous 2000 VR6 the instructions were to wait until 5,000 miles until the first change. I was told the engine oil that came in the car, when new was "a special break-in oil"
    Anyone out there, feel they know what is most likely the best advice?
    Also, I was told to avoid synthetic oil until the car had 25,000 miles. Synthetic too early would prevent the valves from"seating"properly(I was told).
    What is it.... synthetic,or regular oil. and when can synthetic begin to be used...if not right away?
    Also,VW recommends 5-40...super difficult to find....but they say 5-30 is ok....ideas??
    I know oil is an opinionated topic, and everyone swears theirs is the right way
    thanks!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Rotella T synthetic 5w40 is available at Wal-Mart

You should be able to use Mobil 1 0w40.

YOu can use 5w30 also.

The TDI's come with synthetic from the factory anyway. If you want switch to synthetic at 5000 or 10,000 miles, and you'll be fine.
    Don't change the oil untill 5,000 miles and on my VR6 I waited till 10,000 miles to use Mobil1 synthetic.

Stick with 5w30 oil, Mobil1 is my favorite.
  • I've got a 2002 GTI 337 with about 2,500 miles on it, and the coil pack just went out. I've heard about coil pack problems with the VR6's, but has anyone else out heard of coil pack problems on the 1.8t engines? What's more, there seems to be a shortage of spare coil packs, as I'm going on five days of waiting for one to come in (located in NorCal).
    The early model (99.5) VR6s were mostly plagued with coil pack failures, but fret not, the 1.8Ts have it worse. ;)
  • THIS IS MY FIRST POSTING, AND I JUST HAVE A QUICK QUESTION CONCERNING AN '02 MODEL 6-SPEED GTI. I SEEM TO BE ABLE TO FEEL THE SYNCROS WHILE SHIFTING. IF I PAUSE A MOMENT, AND THEN FINISH MY PUSH INTO THE GEARS, THERE IS NO RESISTANCE. HOWEVER, IF I TRY TO FORCE MY WAY THROUGH, IT FEELS QUITE "NOTCHY." DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS NORMAL FOR THE NEW 6-SPEED GEARBOX IN THE '02 VR6 GTI'S? I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT IT IS THE SAME GEARBOX THAT THE AUDI TT HAS, ANY TRUTH TO THAT? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE...
  • nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    2002 GTi 1.8T. Car in shop for syncro problems three times culminating in replacement of 2nd gear syncro at 12K miles. Ignition coil failed at 15K, car joins four others with the same problem at the dealer. While having coil replaced (parts on back order due to epidemic of similar failures), dealer investigates transmission whine and reports that it's (Argentinian assembled) transmission now needs replacing. I think that at this stage "not impressed" would be putting it politely.

VW clearly has a problem with quality (see CU reports). They either get a handle on this or their current renaissance will be shortlived. Suggest that they send us German-built cars again and really concentrate on getting quality right for the U.S. market.
  • Even when new, you shouldn't have to force the car into gear. The shifter is slightly notchy, and will give more resistance if you truly "speed-shift," but having to actually pause before smoothly completing a shift sounds abnormal.

The MQ350 transmission in the 337 is described by Car & Driver as being "similar to the one in the Audi TT Quattro," although VWVortex says that it's an "all-new MQ350 six-speed transmission first introduced here [i.e., in the U.S.] in the New Beetle Turbo S and soon to be introduced with the new 24v VR6 models." Assuming you have the 200hp VR6, this is your transmission.

I haven't had any problems like you describe with my transmission, and have found it to be one of the better-shifting transmissions outside of the ones found in the Civic Si and Acura NSX (the extremely-notchy RSX Type-S transmission excluded). You should probably have yours looked at while you can make the warranty pay for it.
  • Ordered my '02 24v vr6 6-sp. last fall and picked it up in April. I've been extremely pleased with the engine's performance - silky smooth, down low, abundant torque. I'm also pleased with the shift action for the most part, although I'll be adding a shortshifter.

What upset me though, was a tranny that whined and howled between 1.5-3 k, especially when decelerating.Dealer mechanic verified it, and that it was unique to the 6-sp. District service manager was consulted and after waiting a month to hear from VWOA, a new tranny was installed.
    BTW, the engine and transmission were made in Germany and shipped to Brazil for final assy.

It seems some gears were cut incorrectly (explained as a computer or CNC error by the mech.) from feb. thru mar. The new one has a slight whine but it's acceptable. Sooo,If you have a 6-sp. made in this time frame you need not accept the whine - it's not normal.

Other than that, and a slightly mooshy suspension which I plan to remedy with the addition of some Konis, I love this car - especially the gusto and sound of that 24v engine!

FYI: VWOA now warranties the window regulators for 7 years - warranty transferrable.