Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and congrats on your new GTI!

You said: "My insurance however did go up about $400 a year...."

Just curious, have you had a chance to check out Edmunds' Insurance Section? With a little knowledge, you might be able to lower those rates, and still maintain an adequate amount of coverage. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your ownership experience. ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • I put my road bike(wheel off) in my trunk quite easily. On a couple of occasions I have had to put two bikes in the back which was a little more awkward, but not too difficult. In addition the rear bumper is a great place to sit whilist putting on your shoes, helmet, etc. The GTI has 42 cu. ft. of space with the seats folded down which is about as much as a Focus or Civic SI hatch. I think the Element is a little overkill if you just need to carry a bike or two.

I think the GTI is so much cheaper than the Avant that it is hard to compare the two. I also think the GTI would be much more fun to drive than an Element and the aftermarket is there for you to transform the car if you decide to later. Plus I think all that body cladding on the Element will look pretty silly 5 or 6 years(the Chevy Avalanche look very silly right now to these eyes) from now where the GTI is a very timeless and rational design.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    in 1999. I was looking at the 1.8T (previous version). The 3.0 Avant is a very expensive car, close to $40k by the time all is said and done. Too much for me. The 1.8T at the time was closer to $30k. I decided to save the money. The 1.8T Avant was a bit slow for my tastes. I sure could use the space, however.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Volkswagen/Audi in Massive Recall

More than 850,000 Volkswagen and Audi vehicles --
    about 530,000 sedans and hatchbacks sold in the
    U.S. alone -- are being recalled for a faulty
    ignition coil. Volkswagen announced the recall last
    week, noting that the problem could cause spark
    plug failure and rough running, which is usually
    indicated by the vehicle's "Check Engine" light.
    Most of the cars affected carry the VW corporate
    1.8-liter turbo four (which includes the Audi A4
    and TT coupe; the VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, New Beetle
    and Passat), the 2.8-liter VR6 and the 3.0-liter
    V6 engines, as well as the VW Passat's W8.
  • The announcement from VW is NOT a recall.
    They will only replace coils on vehicles that have experienced a failure.
    My '02 VR6 24V GTI, for example is NOT eligible for this program because it has not failed - yet.

I guess I'll have to drive it 'till it fails, or wait until they catch up with the problem units, at which point I hope the program morphs into a REAL recall - replacing ALL SUSPECTED coils.
    To fredvh and Wetwillie- Perhaps you missed my previous post# 808 on this subject.

According to latest news: Volkwagen and Audi To Replace All Ignition Coil Parts....

We have also have a VW Ignition Coil Problem discussion on our Maintenance & Repair board that you may want to check out. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Yes, I've read all the press releases but perhaps Frank Mcguire hasn't.
    In my letter from VW there is no mention of a proactive course of action - only replacing coils that have failed to date.

A call to my dealer confirmed this. I was told emphatically that this was not a recall.
    If VW has ANY business sense, they will, as the press release states, replace ALL coils.

regards,

Will
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    It's not an official NTSA mandatory safety recall, but VW is saying it wants to replace all coils whether they have failed or not. The issue is that they don't have enough to go around right now, so they are not encouraging people to replace non-failed coils yet. When supply is sufficient, then VW will proactively request that owners bring their cars in for coil replacement, failed or not.

I think this lack of supply is the key reason VW hasn't been more pro-active or annouced their intention to replace all these coils earlier. Overall, I think they're handling this Ok - not great, but Ok.

- Mark
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    That's why they said in a "couple" of months.

Bremi is working around the clock to make more of their coil packs to meet the demand. However, one of my "new" coil packs failed a week after it was installed - so these coil packs aren't a fix.

VW can replace all the coil packs with these "new" ones, but they are just replacing a poorly designed part with another poorly designed one.
    Sorry to hear that. Let's hope that's not going to be the case for other replacements. Good luck.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    You'll now find direct links to Edmunds' 2003 VW GTI new vehicle information on the left side of this page. Also, keep your eyes open for other related articles, discussions, and tools to be added to that area.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • njcar1njcar1 Posts: 16
    Does Anyone know what the price for a 2002 model (GTI 1.8 manual, no options) is right now. They still have a few of those lying arround and I was wondering whether I can get one of those cheaper that the same car that's a 2003 model. Do you think they will sell it bellow invoice, by how much, or?
    How close to invoice do you think they'll sell the 2003 model?
    I would appreciate all feedback.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    I've been doing some shopping and most dealers in my area do not have any 2002's or 2003's and are selling them off the truck for MSRP. This is in contrast to Jetta's where they have hundreds sitting around and are willing to make some very good deals. I was offered invoice on a Jetta GLI, but they wouldn't budge off MSRP on a GTI.

I don't know why there is this discrepency, but unless my situation is unusual, you probably won't be able to get near invoice on a car.

Personally, I'd get a 2003 with a late production number and put this coil pack thing in the rear view mirror. I've put down a deposit for a 20th AE GTI and will likely pay MSRP.

- Mark
  • I've hardly ever seen a no option GTI in my area, they all have luxury package and 17's - 02's haven't been around since third quarter of 02. GTI's fly off my dealer's lot, although they will give discounts off MSRP if you do a little haggling.
  • New to the listing. Just sold my 00 GTI VR6. I truly loved the car. Then again, I truly hated the car. It was the most fun, most "apparently" solid and well-appointed car I've owned. It always ran flawlessly. However, almost everything else not related to its ability to move was junk. The infamous power window problems persisted. The rear washer was replaced twice in a 12 month period. The rear hatch could not be opened by the key. It would occasionally open by the remote opener and sometimes by the hatch release lever. I think part of my problem is the lack of even semi-competant VW dealerships/mechanics in my area. I just plain couldn't afford to chuck out hundreds a month to keep the "little" things working on it, so the last time I put down $500 to fix a hole in the oil pan, I sold that baby. It was a sweet, sweet car, but much like having a wife and a mistress, who can afford both? Anyone else have such bittersweet experiences?
    I haven't sold my '00 GTI GLX, but I too am tired of things going wrong. I've also had problems with an incompetent dealer. I've busted an oil pan too. Latest expense was to replace the starter motor -- they're apparently known to wear out prematurely.
  • You know, with all the bad weather and all, I really miss that car. It was solid in all weather. But then again, when the windows wouldn't go back up on a rainy day and the fragile key/remote that I replaced 3 times and the $17 for a headlight bulb (and $35 to put it in) just makes me glad I don't have all those expenses anymore. I got the car 6 mo after another guy bought it so the warranty dropped to virtually nil for me as the second owner. So at 24k miles when things started acting wacky, it was beyond the warranty period. I sure liked the looks, feel and drive of the car, but driving a conservative Honda (my 6th) just gives me peace of mind, and generally, a fatter wallet.
    You can get the needed bulbs anywhere. But have you looked at what it takes to replace them? The low beams are a pain to replace. The high beams are worse. There's no room to get your hand in there. I replaced the lows myself, but paid my mechanic to replace the high beams. As he said, your choices are to 1) cut the heck out of your hand or 2) remove the bumper cap, then remove the entire headlight units, thus giving access to the rear of the headlight unit. Given what you have to go through to change the light bulbs, $35 isn't all that unreasonable for labor. What is unreasonable is the design...
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    How in the world were you able to reach in that far to grab the high beam bulb without tearing the heck out of your hands?