Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• cyber_thugcyber_thug Posts: 3
    i just wrecked my car ( actually my wife was driving it) anyways i have to fix it myself... the damage is not alot ( just body damage,hood,fender etc..) anyways i can't find any after market or any used parts, all i can find is new parts...and beleive me the new parts cost alot and i mean alot..so i am trying to find a wrecked car so i can buy or used parts so i can fix my car......
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    I would try to find an auto recycler that either specializes in VWs or import cars in general. You'll be surprised how many low mileage cars (for their particular model year) wind up there (cars that were wrecked during the first year of ownership). You will more than likely find good parts that you need for a fraction of what the dealer (or auto parts store) charges.

It has worked well for me in the past... :shades:
  • vwvictimvwvictim Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Both seats handles broke off so you just sit there and the BAM you fall back. Just another crappy feature of the Volkswagens. Mine has completely fallen apart. It only started 4 years after owning it.

Here are the common problems I have seen with VWs

1. Big electrical problems that affect power locks, turn signals, stereo, and most expensively, the alternator, battery and air pump (ive had 4 alternators and 2 secondary air pumps in a span of 4 years)

2. Everything starts to fall apart. Side Moldings on Passats and Golfs are always missing. havent you noticed?

3. Leaks in the car. My whole trunk and back seat was flooded once when it rained and no i had no windows open.

4. Things just fall off....such as the molding and the seat adjustment dial.

Avoid VWs because they are money pits.
  • vwvictimvwvictim Posts: 2
    Oh theres nothing BUT smoke baby. VWs are a nightmare.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    I owned a Jetta 1.8T. I had electrical gremlins. Parts in the interior broke. The engine had issues too.

I'd still buy another VW/Audi before anything made by Toyota, Mitsu, MB, american car companies, english car companies. I'd rather put up with niggling issues and have a car i like. It's illogical but so be it...

BTW, I do not currently own a VW. I own a Mazda and a BMW. But Audi/VW is high on my list for replacement cars in 06.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Just curious....How's your 330 doing? Any problems?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    My left front turn signal is flashing the parking light portion of the bulb instead of the actual turn signal part. Since the wrong part of the bulb flashes, the relay thinks there is a burnt out bulb and flashes quickly. This fast flash of the parking light is so dim that it can't be seen during the day. All other turn signals function normally. The bulb only goes in the socket one way and I tried switching the bulb from the working right front side and it did the same thing. Is this a relay messing up, a combination switch issue, a bad socket, or messed up wiring? It was working properly up until about 6 months ago. The plastic inside the socket is crumbling in places but it doesn't look like the metal contact areas are affected. By the way, the emergency flasher flashes at a normal pace, but the left front is still only flashing the parking light. Any insight would be much appreciated as I can't stand when lights aren't working properly.
    How's your 330 doing? Any problems?

So far two big problems, rest were small - e brake had to be replaced and the ignition coils gave out causing the engine to run at half power and about as rough as a 1970s MB diesel.

Just last night I was debating the possibility of either getting a GTI/A3 in 06 or simply trying to negotiate a lower purchase price for my 330i. BMWFS claims my buyout is 25k. In reality they won't be able to get more than 20k (probably less) for an e46 with 45k miles when they try to auction it off. A friend managed to get her Grand Cherokee off-lease by negotiating a lower buy out price. I may go that way as I still really love that car. Took a quick trip yesterday and going 85-90 the whole way (150 miles), I got 30 mpg. I really can't argue with that kind of performance from a car with this much power.

I know what I have too, if I keep it.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I wonder if the coils in these BMW's are problematic. I have a friend who's wife drives a newer ('04 or '05)325i and they got stranded while on vacation because their coils went out as well. Sounds like a VW 1.8t rehash!!
    Yep. Maybe german vendors don't like getting the ignition coil contracts?
  • lockdownlockdown Posts: 2
    bought it a couple of months ago. Now mileage is just over 1k.
    Thanks for your response.
  • I just bought a 2005 GTI yesterday! It is great.

Wanted to know if anyone knows the trick to disable the day-running lights. I think it has something to do with pressing the power lock button a certain number of times in tandem with the headlamp dial. Anyone know? This is a VW mecanics only trick. Please advise. Thanks
  • mtimmmtimm Posts: 1
    I was just looking through this site, and saw your post. You've probably already fixed the problem or got rid of the car. The fix is this simple. The rubber flex boot that connects your breather box to your throttle body has a hole in it. It might not be that exact boot, but you've got an air intake leak somewhere on your car. The vacuum fuel injection needs a sealed system. Hope that helps. Good luck. I'd like to know how it turns out.
  • Dear everyone:

Please tell me your thoughts regarding the brakes on the GTI. I test drove one recently and the brakes were sponge-like. The pedal feel was stiff and the car did not stop with assurance. Is this consistent with the brakes on your GTI?

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback.
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Did you tested drive 1.8T or VR6? 1.8T should have a better brake performance based on their weight difference, 1.8T weights 2934 while VR6 has 3036lbs.
    I have not driven both GTI. But I have a 04Jetta VR6 which I felt not too good at braking confidently (not so sponge-like as you felt). I also has 225/45 R17 tire and wheel same as GTI VR6. but heavier weight (3179lbs). I think the problem is their rear disc rotor is too small for a vehicle weighted more than 3000lbs. The only way is to improve braking is to upgrade it.
  • wetwilliewetwillie Posts: 129
    Brakes should NOT feel spongy - toe control is all you should need to stop aggressively. The GTI has bigger/better brakes than the Golf or Jetta. VR6 GTI has bigger brakes than the 1.8T GTI.

If new pads were installed on your test car they are probably not the high performance variety that comes standard with the GTI. Braking is one of VW's strong points.
    What is the stopping distance for 60-0 Miles. for VR6GTI? Is this kind of high performance brake pads usually have lots of black pad dust staying on the alloy wheel.
    Is this kind of high performance brake pads usually have lots of black pad dust staying on the alloy wheel.
    Yes, exactly. Although they have great stopping power, high metallic dust pads are not necessary for high performance. You can upgrade to a low dust, high performance pad (ceramic formulas and others) but they cost more. An expense not many OEMs will absorb nor pass on so as to maintain a predetermined price point of the vehicle ((hundreds of these seemingly silly cost controls (compromises) are part of every reasonably priced vehicle)).

Don't have the 60-0 stats on hand, but suffice to say the brakes have great feel, linear modulation and huge stopping power - better than other newer cars I have driven.
    Thanks Wetwillie for your explanation. I know this section is for discussing GTI and not appropriate for Jetta, but would like to have your opinion as to how to improve my braking power of my GLI(VR6) other than upgrading to a larger braking(clipper + disc rotor). as I have trouble in abrupt braking especially during speeding in the freeway.
    Wai, really not necessary to upgrade rotors or calipers. German cars in general (in general now, don't flame me) focus on brakes, suspension and engine smoothness/efficiency. They typically fall behind on electronics, ergonomics, (although, VW is at the absolute top of the class for interiors) and possibly reliabilty.

If you you have nice wheels (OEM alloys or aftermarket) I would upgrade to a high performance low-dust pad. I've had great success with Mintex redbox. Linear, no fade, no squeal and NO dust! There are better pads out there but these have a good bang for the buck and are better than stock. Hope this helps.

WW