Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my '08 2dr GTI w/ summer tires. I obviously have not driven it in snow (and don't plan to) but I imagine it won't handle nearly as well as your AWD vehicle. As a matter of fact, it will probably handle similarly to my last high performance FWD car (Acura TL), not very well. Had 4 blizzaks on it and still got stuck.
  • Thanks for your feedback, upstatedoc.
  • Hi- just took delivery on an 03 1.8 turbo, (no owners manual yet), and have a warning light on the control panel. It's the outline of a circle, with a break in it, I think. Can anyone telll me what the light indicates? Thanks.
  • jwb18tjwb18t Posts: 45
    Wondering what your thoughts are regarding winter driving with the GTI. I would have snow tires mounted for the winter like I do on my 2 current vehicles(2007 Honda Ody and 1998 Honda CRV). My last VW/Audi vehicle was a 2003 VW Passat GLS Wagon and it handled very well. Any insight is appreciated.
  • Picked up my '08 2dr gray 6MT yesterday. Had an hour drive home, it felt like I was driving a fighter plane. Unfortunately it snowed 5" last night and I haven't driven it since.
  • Just curious, my '08 GTI has the summer tires (Continental Sport Conti's). What brand are the all seasons?
  • clayhclayh Posts: 6
    Dunlop 225/40R 18 92H,extra load,M&S on original rims, :)
  • Thanks Clay, are the 18 inchers the same as the 17's? (brand wise)
    BTW- Did you figure out if the MPH could be displayed in the center read out?
  • clayhclayh Posts: 6
    Don't know if VW uses same brand, I would expect so. The MPH can be displayed on center computer ONLY if you have auto climate control. For directions go to MY FSAT GTI.com
  • oops! I don't know where my brain is somedays, my summer tires are Bridgestone Potenzas. Where did I get Continentals from? Unfortunately, auto climate control was done away with for model year '08.
  • I've recently bought a 2007 2-DR GTI which I have really enjoyed. I've been averaging 26 MPG combined mileage. I recently bought a chip that is supposed to increase the car's mileage and power. Is there any way that I could find out how to install this chip properly. Thanks for your help. This is by far the best VW I've had out of the 6 I've owned over the last 25 years. Great tracking, acceleration, and body integrity.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Posts: 110
    Trying to decide which car I will buy to replace my 05 MINI Cooper S Cabrio. I will be driving this car daily about 70 miles, all highway, to and from work. Occasional snow but in reality if the roads are bad, my facility closes down. There is about a $10K difference between the 2 cars so I am having a hard time justifying the difference. I have driven several GTIs, manual and DSG, and really like the car. Have decided to go with the DSG. Have not driven the R32 mostly out of fear that I will love it and convince myself that I need it. I'd like to hear opinions from current GTI and R32 owners. Thanks.
  • Haven't driven the GTI recently due to poor weather but I could swear that one of the buttons on the steering wheel has a phone on it. Is that for bluetooth? Didn't see anything about that on the website. Haven't had a chance to look through the manual yet.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,987
    Yes and no :) It is for bluetooh everywhere else except in North America. VW didn't bring over the bluetooth option, but left the button. So it's useless. The little grates on the overhead console are useless too. That's where the microphone is supposed to go.
  • Thanks, I wonder if there is any way to rig it? Bluetooth would be extremely useful especially since I have the 6MT. I have one of those earpieces but they're a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
    I read in another forum (can't post the name here) that somebody got it working with a Parrot Kit and another adapter from another company. No idea how work intensive/expensive it was.
    Doc,

How do I send you a private message?
  • upstatedoc@carspace.com
    Message sent. Good luck.
  • does the GTI have more than one 12v power supply? I could only find one near the fake ashtray.