Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Road and Wind Noise

2»

Comments

• oparroparr Posts: 61
    Check the tire pressure.
  • Hi, and thanks! I forgot. I read in some other thread about lowering the tire pressure to (I think) 30 psi. I will try that. Every little bit will help when the noise level is so high on the chip seal we have here. And, there is a lot of new paving, it seems.
  • I let 2 psi out of the tires (down to 30 psi). No change, still extremely loud on the road.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Tirerack.com's decision tree allows you to select tires for quietness. I have found summer only use tires tp be the quietest, BridgeStone Turanzas on top of the list.

It also helps greatly if you discharge a spray can of undercoating in/on each individual wheelwell liner.
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    Can only blame the tires. 64-66 dBA on smooth roads, you can hardly find a quieter car under $30K.
  • Our 2010 has Bridgestone Turanzas. Hopefully they are quieter, but I'd hate to hear the noisier tires. Have no experience with others since the car was new with the Turanzas, but the road noise is still horrendous and I still can't figure out Toyota's silence and apathy on this issue.. Great car but not worth the noise.
  • Certainly can't blame the tires. It's totally due to the poor design of the windshield and how the wind turbulence funnels past the front windows. Wish Toyota would listen and change that design for the future. Absolutely nothing changed for the 2011's. Love the car other than the noise. Cars under 20 thousand are even quieter if you test drive some.
  • oparroparr Posts: 61
    Certainly can't blame the tires. It's totally due to the poor design of the windshield and how the wind turbulence funnels past the front windows.

Tires and acoustic insulation (or lack thereof) for road noise. Winshield and wing mirror placement for wind noise.

One way to confirm abnormal road noise due to tires is to drive in say a parking garage with the front windows down. That way you hear the tire noise from outside reflected from the walls.
  • I agree. See my earlier post

"63 dBA was on original Bridgestone tires. I changed my tires to Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S and got a sound level improvement of 1.5 dB".

So you will get a 1.5 dB noise improvement with the best tire out there.

I moved to Dallas from Indy and because of Concrete road surface on nearly every road my noise level increased from 61.5dBA to 64 dBA (at 70mph). Rough concrete surface or rough roads does cause more noise to come into the Camry cabin because of the door seals. Now I believe my 2007 Camry had a design fault in the door seals and they have not fixed the issue in the 2011 model.

So even with a lot of work to get the noise levels down (61.5 dBA on asphalt) the high frequency noise is still annoying. I can't wait to change to a new (quieter) car.
  • Yep, everything you've said and done is what some of us have know for quite awhile. Disappointing that Toyota continues to bury the issue and does nothing for future models. I, like you, am anxious to move on to another brand after I can get rid of my 2010 Camry. I also have a 2002 Camry that I drive every chance I get while leaving the 2010 in the garage.
  • Everyone who rides in my 2010 XLE comments on how quietly and beautifully it rides. Conversations are easy even at 75 mph. I have the tires that came with it - don't know what they are - with 17K on the car. It is certainly quieter on asphalt than concrete but it's all been fine with me. I had a 92 Camry as my last car which ran beautifully and quietly for the 205k that I had it for. I'm sorry that people are having a problem.
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    the road noise level on my 2010 le is also generally low..however as you said I think the type of road surface and its texture has a lot to do with it...in my area on the same highway, there are stretches where the car is very quiet and then I'll drive over a stretch where the noise suddenly rises..
  • ecoman33ecoman33 Posts: 1
    This new Camry Hybrid LE, bought used @ 65K, is extremely noisy, very road and wind sensitive and this makes for an unpleasant driving experience. My former 1993 Touring model, top of the line, was much quieter.
    I believe Toyota neglects insulation on the LE models and brings more care to the more expensive models. Example, just tap on the roof of your car and you will find it sounds hollow: no inside coating there for sure! Very disappointed with this car (which by the way is not that economical compared to my I-4 1993 Touring model!)
  • kif2kif2 Posts: 2
    We just traded in our 2009 Camry LE for a brand new 2013 Camry LE. We like the new features but when we drive it, there is this strange noise that sounds like a sensor going off, or whistle that comes and goes. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a mechanical defect or just an annoying nuisance? I have read in this blog about wind/road noise. I'm not sure that's it, but I guess it could be. Any thoughts? Thanks! Kat
  • migo1migo1 Posts: 1

I just bought a certified 2011 Camry, only 16k. I took it to the dealer twice, and finally the dealer changed the rubber of the 2 front seats. However, the problem still persits. It's too noisy and annoying on the high way. The dealer was helpful but that's a problem, that's hard to identify. Going into the high way, the dealer couldn't hear the voice. I guess, it's something I have to live with or just.. sell the car. Thanks.

2»