Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• than3than3 Posts: 5
    I just a mail message from Autobytel, the online
    car buying services, about a recall on the 99
    Venture. Anyone have details?
  • We purchased our 1999 Venture on Sept 23, and I am concerned about keeping the carpet clean! I have 7 kids in and out of my van everyday..(carpool, but 4 are mine!) and I decided to go and buy some vinyl carpet runners from the local home improvement store. I bought 8 ft of it and cut pieces to fit. It covers between the two rows(we have 8 pass seating) my only problem is keeping it in place..I will try some little velcro tabs to hold it in place. Let me know if you find a better way to hold it in place!
    As for all of the people wondering if they should buy a Venture...I say Chevys rule! Very good quality..and as far as the crash testing..every crash is different..just drive safely..that is also what full coverage insurance is for.
    We love our Venture even more than we loved our Astro that we drove for 10 years! The Venture may have a few minor things that go wrong..but it is nothing compared to the tranny problems that the Chrysler vans have. As far as the others.. Buy AMERICAN..the job you save is important to someone,just as yours is to you.
  • My husband and I are on the verge of making a decision on a van. We are stuck between the Venture and the Toyota Sienna. I need some quick advice from anyone who may have bought a Venture recently. What about the safety issue and is the Chevrolet product reliable. I haven't been able to locate any crash test results for the 2000 model. Thanks
  • creidcreid Posts: 54
    russell:
    I myself would go with the Sienna. I had a 98 Pontiac Transport extended & I had nothing but problems with the van. After one year we traded it in due to everything electrical & mechanical going wrong. Even after one year the sticker was $27K, we paid $23800 & barely received $17500 on trade-in. The van only had 15K miles on it after a year of ownership & was nothing but a regular service issue. Go with the Sienna. My 2 cents.
  • I just spent some time in a Venture (rental with 5000 mi) and while some of the features were nice (e.g. configuration of back A/C vents) it had a much "tinnier" feel than the Sienna and had louder engine noise. The Sienna seems to have a higher quality level.

However, you will pay for the quality. A lot will depends on how much you're willing to spend.
  • As far as that 'Safety Thing', the update is out from the IIHS on injury rates and the Sienna and GM injury rates were the same (actually GMs is a little lower). As for codetalkers allegation that the GM is louder, this also has proven to be incorrect, it is somewhere in the archive or do the work yourself and find the sound pressure levels on the web (they are somewhere).

As for cried, I also have a '98 transport. Biggest problem to date is having a nail in a tire. WHat specific problems did you have?

Perception is everything, open your mind, and you will make a good decision on your purchase.
  • I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the Venture transmission. I have a 97 model with 95000 miles. It was running fine up until a few weeks ago when the tranny started to shutter and slip. I had the fluid and filter changed, and it worked good for another 2 weeks. It then started to slip again, and now 1st gear is completely gone. Anyone with similar problems?
  • nattanatta Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2000 venture and am very happy with this van,The product is not as solid feeling as the sienna but is comparable and has alot more to offer at a more affordable price. so far we just put 300 miles on the van and like it more and more each time we drive it.so whatever you choose im sure you'll like either one.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    Can anyone post experiences about broken trannies for Natale_p?

guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • sloan2sloan2 Posts: 8
    Has anyone had problems with a buzzing speedometer cable. I believe that is the problem because the pitch of the vibration increases proportionally to speed. It's funny though, because it sounds like it is coming from the emergency brake area. Has anyone had this problem? It is very annoying. Other than that, I am very satisfied with my '98 Venture.
  • Our 99 Venture has about 16,000 miles on it.

We have the double child seats, and the dual air.

No quality problems with it. (A gasket came off the power door, but no big deal.)

The thing drives really well, plenty of spunk.

The front-brakes wiped out in about 9,000 miles, but that may have more to do with our start-stop-start-stop lifestyle. GM cheerfully paid for the fix.

We are at the end of our lease now too, and are having a hard time between another Venture,a gussied up Town and Country or a sparce, but bulletproof Sienna.

Does the Sienna have child seats built in?
  • We are in the process of buying a 2000 Chevy Venture (LS Extended). We have narrowed down the exterior color choices to Medium Blue Metallic, Dark Sapphire Metallic, Dark Teal Metallic, and Medium Fernmist Green Metallic. Since there is no consensus amongst us, we have agreed to elicit your choices from the colors above! Your preference would decide the issue!

Thanks in advance.

RV
  • We are considering leasing a 2000 Venture. Can anyone tell me if the rebates apply when leasing??
  • nattanatta Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2000 venture in the silvermist metallic, but my second choice was dark sapphire metallic. I would choose the dark sapphire
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    There is no speedometer cable in the GM vans. The speedometer is driven electronically by the PCM (powertrain control module.) The noise may be from the vehicle speed sensor in the transaxle output. A noise that changes with speed may be coming from this or anything else from the final drive out to the wheels.
  • daverosedaverose Posts: 233
    We bought the Oldsmobile Silhouette in the Sky/International/Medium Blue Metallic. (Sky is the Oldsmobile name; I believe International is the Pontiac name; and Medium is the Chevrolet name for the same color.) It's a rich, pretty color on cloudy days and is spectacular on sunny days. To my eye, it hides dirt quite well. To me the very dark colors, Sapphire and Teal, would show dirt too easily. The Fernmist Green has similar visual qualities to the Blue, and was our second choice, but is too similar to other colors, or non-colors, as my wife would say, to be distinctive.
  • sloan2sloan2 Posts: 8
    Hardesty, Thanks for the information on the speedometer. Sounds like you are pretty familiar with the vehicle. Is this speed sensor located on the front or rear wheels? If you'd like, e-mail me at ssloan@lbmc.com with the answer, so not to bore everyone else.
  • Does anybody have any comments about the servicability of the 2000 venture engine. I have heard that they need to pull the engine to replace the rear spark plugs. Is this true and are there any other relatively minor repairs which necessitate pulling the engine... THANX !!
  • Like most modern minivan V6s, it is mounted laterally with one set of plugs towards the firewall. You don't have to pull the engine, you might have to remove the air intake plenum and the like. By the way, the GMs come with platinum plugs, so you will find you won't have to change the plugs for a while (std service interval 100K miles).
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    The rear plugs are accessed by removing the top front engine mounts (2 bolts) then putting a cinch strap (like you would use on a pickup load) around the engine and rocking it forward. Considering that it only needs to be done every 100,000 miles, it is not much extra work, and can be easily done by a shadetree mechanic. Just so you know, the reason that I know is because I bought the service manuals (from www.helminc.com ). Sloan2, the speed sensor is on the transaxle output (front wheels) under the hood.