Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• dee_deedee_dee Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Venture with 120,000 miles on it. When I am in gear and at a stop with my foot on the brake, my engine vibrates and shakes the whole car. It's loud inside the car, but you can't hear it outside the car. It's not the motor mounts, those are still good. It's gotten so bad that when I am at a stop, I put my car in neutral and this quiets the car down. (It's also not the muffler). Anyone else have this problem? Thanks :shades:
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    Maybe the idle RPM is set too high. If you have a tach, what is this RPM?
  • Hello, just found this wonderful forum. Has already helped me troubleshoot some issues. My rear wiper isn't working on my 2000 venture. It goes about 1/2 a rotation then stops and makes the loudest grinding noise. I'm pretty much convinced I need to replace the motor but for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to get to the motor, can't find a way to remove the hatch's inside door panel to get to it. Please Help!
  • Have owned my 2000 venture since it had 30K on it, it now has 124. Since I first bought the van the headlights and interior (dash and dome) lights flicker in time to the engine RPM. If I rev the motor the flicker frequency increases. Never had any charging problems but think that this may be the voltage reg in the alternator. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
  • 2000 Venture, 124K miles. Low coolant level light is on constantly even though level is fine. I do get a slight coolant smell when the motor gets hot. No visible leaks, had cooling system pressure checked and it checks good. While idleing when engine is hot the temp jumps way up but then starts back down then kind of oscillates up and down (this is very troublesome on the interstate in bad traffic). Once back up to speed the engine cools back down quickly. I've have not yet replaced intake manifold gaskets and still run Dexcool. Could this be the culprit for these symptoms. Didn't know maifold gaskets were such an issue till I found this forum. Maybe I should replace them and switch to universal coolant. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    I think there is a TSB on this problem. It has to do with a grounding lug. You can search this and the other GM Van forums for info on this.
  • I have a 99 Venture w/ 118K miles, am getting a coolant leak off the bottom of the engine, can either trace it to the thermostat housing or the water pump? Anybody had problems before? :confuse:
  • snomansnoman Posts: 1
    With 124K on the intake gaskets I can almost guarantee that is your problem. Felpro makes a new gasket that is metal and rubber instead of plastic. They work great.
  • Well I am new to this discussion and I am hoping and praying someone on here can help me. Today my daughter and I were driving in my 97 chevy venture with less than 70,000 miles on it. Weathers not to hot and we weren't driving very fast and we didn't go that far when Bam!!! I thought I had blown a tire and stop the car to take a look! Well it wasn't a tire it was the engine. So Luckly for me we had less than 4 miles to go and I put on my hazards and hobbeled her home. I don't smell anything burning -nothing is leaking - oils full. I have no idea what this could be. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEADS??

PLEASE HELP!!
  • kklobekklobe Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    My wife and I have a 2000 Venture and I am in desperate need of the power assist sliding door(actuator) schematics. The two drive cables came off of their respective tracks and got chewed to pieces...I had since removed the cables but now I am just tired of not having the power door.
    We have three small children and we could use the help getting in and out of the van. I have finally found someone who will make the new cables as I can't find with without the actuator assemble...$700.00 But without the old cables to guide on length and diameter(before the plastic coating) I'm in a bad way, well frustrated anyway.

Has anyone had any luck finding the cables by themselves? Or does anyone know where I can find the internal schematics of the actuator to view the cables and such?

We bought our van used in 02/03 and we all love it. It's amazing what regular service will do for longevity. Other then the cable issue, our van has been absolutely outstanding! We just took a vacation from Missouri and drove to Utah to see family stationed at Hill AFB. We averaged around 600 miles to the tank and we only had to fill up one additional time after we initially filled up and left Missouri! Our children love watching movies, and mom and I LOVE the headsets! I'll be fabricating a wooded entertainment center(vcr) as our current one is cracked on one side(love working with wood). I'll post the entertainment center when it's done if anyone is interested.

Thanks for any help!

Kevin
  • vanderdavanderda Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem? Did you have any luck?
  • vanderdavanderda Posts: 2
    How did you remove the rear panel to gain access?
  • sheboutshebout Posts: 3
    Anyone have good advice regarding the venture WB edition DVD player? Our DVD player will only play some DVDs. The ones that won't play are "spit back out" of the player after about five minutes. I have tried pressing different buttons on the console and on the remote, but none seem to make them play (the screen never comes on and no audio). When I first got the van new back in 2000 most of the movies would play. But as time has gone by it will now play fewer and fewer. Now it won't even play some movies that it did before. I tried to figure out if it is a certain kind of movie that won't play (ie. full screen vs. widescreen), but there doesn't seem to be a pattern. I have tried cleaning the player, but that hasn't helped. The chevy garage was no help - they said they could pull the player out and send it off to be fixed for several hundred dollars. Has anyone else had similar problems?? :confuse:
  • indrgbindrgb Posts: 115
    You say it's a DVD player, but the Venture didn't get a DVD player until 2002 model year. Prior years had a VCP. My 2000 Silhouette has a VCR. I had trouble with it about two years ago. It had a problem similar to yours. Don't take it to a dealer. They are clueless on entertainment systems. They told me it would be $400 for a rebuilt VCR. I ended up buying an automobile style VCR from Crutchfield for about $130 and installed it myself. It was a little tricky, but I did it and it works great.

Before I installed the new VCR, I tried installing a DVD player. It would not work correctly. Something is different about the wiring from the player to the screen. The DVD player would work, but the screen would scramble every few seconds. I confirmed this with multiple players.

Another option: take your van to an auto trim shop that sells and installs video systems. It won't be as cheap as DIY, but it will be less than a dealer.
  • Okay...I'm new and stumbled here from a search engine. I have a 98 Chevy Venture that I bought new, it now has 177,710 miles on it. All of the sudden, today while I'm driving my low coolant light starts flashing. When I get to a stopping point, I check the coolant, it is at the acceptable levels. The stupid light won't stop flasing. Is this just a sensor going out or is this a major problem? The thermostat was replaced 3 years ago. Thanks!
  • boga228boga228 Posts: 50
    To all who have their van still under warranty, If you suspect that you have a coolant/oil gasket leak, I would recommend that you get it repaired. They have the new intake gasket p/n 89017279. Make sure you refer them to Service Bulletin 03-06-01-010, because of the new torque Spec's
    Sensor is mounted in the radiator 4 inches below the radiator cap. make sure coolant is above the sensor and also check the wiring too.
    The Service Manual doesn't really have a schematic on the actuator assembly or the cable all show is how to replace the assembly.
    Check your coolant level and also make sure the coolant isn't in the oil. It sounds like either a intake or head gasket blown.