Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• re025901re025901 Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 LS venture and can tell you about it. email me at re025901@student.fullerton.edu
  • kinjalkinjal Posts: 7
    I own Venture LT for last 2.5 months/1200 miles.

I fell for it because of 8 pass. seating, built-in child seat above all approx. 6,500 below invoice pricing that we were getting due to various rebates.

However. I regret that decision.

in 8 years of owning a Honda and 9 years of Toyota, I did NOT have one surprise!!

Venture has been to dealer twice already and still has more problems.

Buy Honda O. or Toyota S.
    Stay away from Big 3.

Or you can have my 2.5 moths/1200 miles LT for 2,000 below car-direct/car-order price.
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    We turned 10000 miles today since March 10 on an LT 2000. Apart from minor seat repair (stitching on back of driver's seat) cannot be more than pleased.Great gas mileage. I would be interested to know after 1200 miles what has gone wrong as at least to share info on this site.

There are mixed feelings in our household re the electric sliding door. My wife and I have no problems, but uncompromising children seem frustrated by it. I have a simple answer...get out the other side !
  • tbone14tbone14 Posts: 10
    Seriously looking at the 00 Venture. I like the idea that Chevy will discount the price and probably hopefully give invoice, but I am cautious about the product. We are interested in hearing from some van owners (6-mos.) that could tell us some news about the product (good or bad). The only problems I seem to hear are minor, but would appreciate any responses.
  • dustinnewtondustinnewton Posts: 242
    I'm only a 5 month owner, but the only problems I have had on my 00 Warner Brothers Edition in 12,000 miles have been a slight oil leak that has apparently sealed itself up, a broken locking latch for the video screen, replaced under warranty, an an apparently bad air bag control module (air bag light is on now) that is being repaired now. All other items, including power door, are A-OK. It's a really nice van with a good deal of power that handles very well. We have been very pleased. Went to the coast last fall with 4 adults, a child, a dog, and LOTS of cargo (even had a hitch installed and bought one of the hitch carriers for luggage that wouldn't fit inside), and still managed 22 at 75MPH for 300 miles, 90% of which were highway. With whatever you buy, just inspect it good and do a long test drive and BE PICKY! Good luck with your purchase! We were able to get 0.9%, a price below invoice, and also bought from a town 75 miles north of our home that had a 2% less tax rate. Put quote requests out on the internet and let the dealers fight for your business!
  • mossyonemossyone Posts: 1
    I can tell you I have a 2000 venture plus and we love it ,no problems of any kind i've had it for 10 months now and it has 11,000 miles on it.We have driven it on numerous trips and love the room, it has also it has alot of power.I used to own a 1993 dodge caravan which also was a good dependable van for me but this is a whole lot more van than that was.I also agree with dustinnewton post on the internet and let them fight for your buisness I did and I saved about $3800 when it was all done. GOOD LUCK
    See my 492.Have posted several times before, that as far as we are concerned it was a great buy. We had the dustbuster Lumina before for 9 years and 140K. Didn't consider any Chrysler or Ford. Did look at Mazda MPV and too small for college hauling etc. Mazda seems to have a vast array of problems on their MPV.

At the time we took $2000 rebate and ordered through carOrder.com and ended up at $24500 incl tax etc., for the 8 seater LT in Sapphire blue. Never to be repeated as they chipped in $2200 of their own.

I know people have posted problems, and earlier models tended to have more grief than the 2000.
  • I own a 1999 Chevy Venture and so far I have had nothing but constant problems with this van. Engine trouble, transmission work, AC broke, tires got flat, bad handleing, bad seats, bad dash, oil problems, etc. I could go on and on. It has been in the shop over 7 months so far off and on. I would never but another Chevy I suggest everyone here do the same! I also own a Sienna now and it is much better!
  • dustinnewtondustinnewton Posts: 242
    Correction: YOUR Chevy may be junk but mine is great. I hate that you have had problems, but with that much time in the shop, surely you qualify for action under your state's lemon law. Have you looked into this? Sounds like you should qualify for a new vehicle (I doubt that you would want another GM, but if you get a better one that you have now, you come out in better shape).
    Refer to mykidsdriver on 499.
    I referred to the MPV problems and if you look at their van section under Mazda MPV Problems there are now over 370 postings.

Recalls on fraying seat belts, front bumper re enforcement, tire/steering problems. This excludes the 2.5 engine being underpowered for some, low gas mileage and often erratic gearbox function. These comments are from OWNERS posted on Edmunds Mazda MPV site.

Just look at all the posts on hoping for the 3.0 liter engine in the 2001 model year.

At the time of the purchase decision we needed a larger van. The MPV did not meet our hauling needs, so I do not consider my comments based on MPV owners irresponsible. Nevertheless I wish you good luck with your Mazda

I
    I appreciate the responses to post #493. After reading all the above, I feel that for any make or model there will be some negative aspects(and should be posted and heard)but I don't believe post #496 was a hit against Mazda, just an opinion based on posts. That is exactly what this site is intended for, to post information for the consumer.

After taking a test drive we found that for us the extended was the way to go after checking out the room between the back seat and rear hatch. The Interior is very plastic, but hey it serves the purpose for kids and will probably clean-up easily. I just had some reservations on the reliability since every other van on the road is a Chrysler/Dodge or Ford, I guess Chevy just does'nt have a big name in Mini Vans.

I have not found the best deal yet I am currently working with a few dealers , but I appreciate all the advise. We are hoping that the incoming 2001 inventory will work in our favor.

Thank you to all for your posts.
  • ravenrichravenrich Posts: 6
    Thinking of buying '00 Venture 8 seater, no suspenion package, no traction control package, or rear AC. What's a good price? What are the odds of GM increasing rebate goinh into September?
    If you are looking at an LT it comes with Traction Control/Suspension and rear AC as standard.Optional on the LS? Believe $1500 rebate available for cash or low financing. Certainly towards end of the year if they are still on lot, maybe able to get better deal as the 2001 come in.

You can check the GM website or Edmunds for current rebates.
    I found your post interesting, and I have heard the plasticky comment before and other GM models, but I don't think there is any other material the manufacturers can use??

I have since read that the 2001 Ventures will have the rollaway rear seat ala Honda and dare I say it the Mazda MPV !! Ironically, the new 2001 Chrysler/Dodge van out very soon will not have this feature. Their rear seat is like lugging out the living room sofa. The current split bench on the Venture LT are OK, if a little heavier than the modular seats.

I read some production figures somewhere for first six months of 2000 and true that Chrysler first followed by Windstar at +/- 70000 units. The Venture was +/- 54000, but when you add in the the other two Pontiac and Oldsmobile, they are past Ford in #2 position. Essentially they are same underneath.

On the highway I seem to notice more GM vans due to the side running lights. There never will be a perfect van to suit everybody, we all have a budget and specific needs.
  • ravenrichravenrich Posts: 6
    Sorry, I goofed. I'm looking at the LS Extened w/out suspension and traction control pkg. Dealer showing $23,800. Any comments? (See post #503)
    Agreed plastic is the only material the manufactures can use. I guess other brands can hide or should I say seem to blend it in to the interior look a little more. But like I said I'm fine with it, I still think for the money it is a good buy. Toyota has the warranty I want but they are not interested in discounting anything or very little, everything with them is the name. Just like you said everyone has a budget and this hopefully will be a vehicle you can own for 7-10 years with dependability.

Thanks for the info on units produced, thats great information. I wish there was a number of units still on the dealers lots, it would be a huge negotiating tool...
  • tinyguytinyguy Posts: 44
    Hi everyone,

Could someone kindly explain to me, how to disable this annoying light once oil change has been complete? I go to a garage (instead of the GM dealer) for oil changes, and they don't seem to know how to turn the warning light off. I read the manual and according to it, I am supposed to turn the key just short of starting, then press accelerator all the way 3 times within 5 secs. I tried it about 100 times without any success...

Oh, this is a 2000 Venture LS, short wheel base model.

Thank you.

-YH
  • daverosedaverose Posts: 233
    I don't mean to quibble with you, but why did you use the term "destination tax?" All vehicles have a destination/freight charge, the cost of moving the vehicle from the factory/port of entry to the dealership.

As I understand it, the dealer has to tax the money that flows into the company. The only way you MIGHT be able to affect that would be to trade in a vehicle and, possibly, have them reclassify some of what you pay as a paperwork/documentation charge. (That's reclassify, NOT ADD a documentation charge.)
    As a guide, take the dealer invoice plus 2.25% or 2.50% max. This is the sort of basic deal you get with AAA,AARP & Costco. Tax and destination charge is on top plus the doc fee. Of course depending on when the 2001 appears, how long are they going to keep 2000 on the lot.

There is a website called www.carbuyingtips.com which shows you how dealers work you around by giving you a break here but padding up other stuff such as the doc fee and pinstripes to achieve their target revenue. Interesing site and must have written by a rogue dealer.

A dealer near us in Summit NJ has 4 or 5 on his lot which suspect have been there since we looked in Jan.

Similary in NJ when there is a rebate, the tax is calculated on amount BEFORE taking off the rebate.
    I had this once during a long high speed journey and followed the instructions as you described and it reset OK.

The key here is that the warning light is not based mileage, but on the viscosity or temperature of the oil based on engine revolutions. So each time you reset it maybe getting a similar reading. Do you know what oil the garage is putting in and the filter they are using ?

You want to ensure that the correct oil 5-30W is used and a Delco PF47 filter as per handbook. I change my own oil every +/- 2750 miles.

Would worth money to take it into a GM dealer to get it fixed.