Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• tinyguytinyguy Posts: 44
    Aha...

Actually, what happened was the following :

I received a new car. Around 5000km (I am in Canada), the light came on during the first two minutes of driving. I had the van change oil. Got the van, and the light wouldn't go away. I assumed that there must be a reset switch or something. Got lazy... :) Didn't do anything about it until 10000km. I tried that method to turn the warning light off. Didn't work. Got oil changed anyway. Since then, I haven't tried it again.

Perhaps if I try it now, it might work. I must have tried to reset it when the oil was dirty again near 10000km...

I'll try it tomorrow! Thanks offham!

(are you SURE, that it is not based on mileage or time?)

-YH
  • Looked at, and studied, wide variety of mini-vans, until deciding on the Chevy Venture...
    contacted numerous Chevy Dealers in the area via the 'net, and asked them to give me their best purchase price, (through GM Buy Power).
    The results were astonishing!...For the 2000 Venture Plus-1SB which comes with cruise, remote key entry, power windows, and deep tinted glass...
    the prices offered me ranged from $1,400. to
    $6,500. below MSRP that came with also the option of taking an additional $2,000. off their quoted price or taking 5.9% APR...Needless to say I ended up with an acceptable price offering of
    $18,500. plus TT&L. Tossing in $2,000. of my own, and taking the 5.9APR, my monthly notes are only $340. per...(the van also had the AM/FM stereo with CD and Cassette...a $470. option).
    Just goes to show the power of the internet, and the reality that you can get an excellent value and deal if you don't settle for just any ol' quote given to ya!!!
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    I have definitely read that the warning light is not mileage activated, but as mentioned via engine revloutions. If I find it will post.

Hope your re set works
  • dbeddbed Posts: 1
    Is the "rollaway rear seat" standard in 2001? Can you reseach it and post for the rest of group? Whether Olds will have same option? I heard Olds 2001 model out already (from my GM card mothly billing papers).

Other question regarding the dealer math:
    Is the GM card bonus(rebate) subjected to tax? i.e. does dealer subtract the GM card bonus before the tax? My bonus is expiring another 250.00 in august, should I wait for the 2001(rollaway rear seat) or any good suggestion?

Anyone know that Olds will come out short wheel base in 2001 Silhouette? Thanks for help!
    There is a paragraph on this in the US handbook a little further on from the oil change info. Believe it is page 6-14.
    Stumbled across this today via Edmunds New Trucks for Chevy. It is called GM buying power and allows you to put in your zip code, and it will pull up all dealers in your area and their current inventory/specs/MRSP. At least you can go prepared.
    This was an article in the biz section of the NY Times either a Sat/Sun in July. The main subject was about the new Chrysler mini van due out in the fall.

The article noted that Chrysler had not gone for this Honda/Mazda feature and still have the full length bench which is a hassle to get out on your own. They will offer the Chevy split rear seats but no flip down.

Chryslers answer was to do with the noise created inside the cabin by the seat space well...

In the article it mentioned that the new 2001 Venture will have it which leaves Chrysler out of it.

The papers are in a stack still here, so will make sure got my info right. It surprised me as the only comments I had seen on the new Venture was related to the NY Auto Show in April.

Main features..new front grill (single colored bar), wireless headphones and two channels. Larger video screen on the Warner Bros and revised dash layout. Appears GM intend to stay up with the pack.

Edmunds 2001 Chevrolet does not have this posted yet.

Reverting.
    It was July 16 issue..NYTimes want $2.50 for the download. However I found the paper in the garage

Essentially what I said in previous post is correct. FYI I will re type the relevant text.

Quote:

G.M.'s Chevrolet Venture, Oldsmobile Silhouette and Pontiac Montana will offer fold-away seats beginning this fall. Unquote. Went on to say that Ford was working to develop a fold-away seat for the Windstar....

This is the place where it gave 6 month production figures and I was well off the mark in a previous post.

Dodge Caravan 163000
    Windstar 134000
    Odyssey 66700
    Plymouth 57700
    Sienna 54400
    Venture 54400
    Chrysler 46800
    Montana 35200

Aggregated

Chrysler 267500
    Ford 134800
    GM 89600 (No Olds figures)
    Honda 66700
    Toyota 54400
    Mazda Who cares
  • tinyguytinyguy Posts: 44
    Yeah, it worked!

Thanks for the tip. Finally, I got rid of that annoying light...

-YH
  • minnbillminnbill Posts: 28
    Wow, you got a great deal at $18,500. We bought the exact same model Venture in April for almost $4,000 more. This was the "GM supplier rate" which is GM employee price plus 3%. I would've definitely gone out on the 'net to get quotes if I'd known we could've saved that much, though. Did get 0.9% financing though, so payments are low.

Minivan sales figures posted in #521 appear to be similar here in Minnesota. Caravan/Voyager/T&C are everywhere here. If I had one of those, I'd have a heck of a time trying to find mine in a mall parking lot. Interesting, though, was on vacation in Arizona recently, and saw lots of Ventures/Silohuettes/Montanas, and, no I don't think many of 'em were rentals, unless they rent in colors other than white.

Glad GM is going to put that foldaway rear seat in the '01's. That's what I really envied about the Odyssey.

Also, I notice that Venture seems to ride higher off the ground than most other minivans, which I like, even without raising the drivers seat. Anyone else notice this?
    For those looking for end oy year bargains. NY Times noted that both GM/Chrysler sales are down and still high with 2000 models. GM has 68 days worth of unsold vehicles, and with model change over should be around 55-58 days. However it is noted that 2000 inventory looks higher versus 1999 when they were short of many models.

Chrysler July fell by 12.2% but minivans down 29% despite rebates people seem to be holding off for the new 2001.
    I have never measured the ground clearance between vans, but the Venture et al are narrower than most, as it is/was exported to Europe for Opel and Vauxhall. This may give an impression of being higher off the ground than say the Ford and Honda, which looks really fat & squat from the rear.

I very much like the high position and although I am 6ft1" usually have the seat up.

During a recent trip to Toronto the GM vans were everywhere,(it's those daytime orange lights!) but major percentage being the short wheelbase version.
    For more details go to the Montana site and select 2001 models post #16. Pulls up press release from GM. Interesting that the folding rear seats do not appear to go into a well at the back.
  • tauberjtauberj Posts: 61
    Giggo.com has all the information posted for the 2001 GM vans. I looked it up yesterday.
  • We had the first oil change done on our 2000 Venture after 4700 or so km. Somewhere past 5000 km the change oil warning message pops up. I say to myself strange the oil was just changed. So I check to make sure the level was ok etc and everything is fine. So we take it back to the dealer and it turns out the mechanic that changed the oil forgot to reset the computer. So is this warning really mileage activated or temperature/viscosity activated?
    As posted just a few back, hand book states it is temperature etc not mileage. When I have changed the oil myself, I do not reset the computer as I conclude that it only operates when it reads something is wrong. Take the view that that new oil should not incur these problems.

Only once did it come on after 750 miles from an oil change, but we had been pushing it back from Toronto to NJ. It came on after a pit stop and I just reset not to be seen again. I find it interesting technology rather than mileage based.
  • tbone14tbone14 Posts: 10
    Does anyone have any info on Mfg to dealer incentives going on. I couldnt find anything out there except the 2k customer incentive. I like to have the true dealer cost (invoice less any dealer incentives) to negotiate with some of the sharks out there....Any help would be appreciated.
  • JUST BOUGHT AN EXTENDED, LOADED LS. DON'T ASK ME WHY IT WASEN'T A LT. WE BOUGHT IT OFF THE LOT. HAS EVERY FEATURE OF A LT INCLUDING 8 PASS SEATING. MSRP WAS $28840 INCLUDING DELIVERY. WE PAID $23840 WITH REBATE. YOU CAN FIGURE 10% OFF MSRP(NOT COUNTING REBATE)AND I FIGURE THEY STILL MAKE $500 TO $700 PER UNIT. IF I DIDN'T HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME FINDING THE COLOR AND OPTIONS WE WANTED I WOULD HAVE TRIED FOR 13% TO 15% OFF. WE MADE THE DEAL AFTER TALKING TO THE DEALER FOR 10 MINUTES, BUT WE HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR 3 MONTHS. SOME WILL ARE WILLING TO WORK WITH YOU AND OTHERS TRY TO SQUEEZE EVERYTHING THEY CAN OUT OF YOU WITH EVERY KIND OF STORY AND LINE THEY CAN FEED YOU. DO YOUR HOMEWORK, KNOW WHAT YOU WANT AND NEVER TRADE IN A VEHICLE. ALSO, BE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR SALES PERSON. HAVE BEEN IN DEALERSHIPS WHERE I DIDN'T CARE FOR ANYONE. JUST WATCH FOR THE BULL*#$& I THINK THE SMALLER THE TOWN THE BETTER. GOOD LUCK
    nra4ever sums it up in his %531...Homework prior to stepping into the dealer and an action plan of what you want to pay.

If it is Venture you are looking for, then I would start with the www.GM.com and select Chevrolet. There you will see all rebates. $2000 off Venture thru 10/2 or financing. Doubt if manufacturer to dealer incentives are published Then go to GMBuy Power. There you can see what models the dealers in your area have in stock full specs and sticker.

We know from an earlier posting of mine GM have an overstock coming into the 2001 model year of 2000 as per NY Times this week.

I strongly recommend that you also visit www.carbuyingtips.com. You must read and absorb where the dealer will try and nail you. Doc fees/extended warranties/paint sealant/window etching.

Dealers who offer AARP/AAA deals are essentially offering 2.0 to 2.5% over their invoice price. They also get 3% dealer holdback so let's say they are getting $1300/$1400 overall, then they want you to get hooked on the other stuff.

If you lease they will definitely try and hit you up on the paint sealant...." when you turn in the car you will not be billed for tree sap stains or bird mess." This could add $20 per month to the lease.

Finally, do not be afraid to get up and walk out the showroom, even if it embarrasses family! If you should agree this as a possible plan of action PRIOR to going in.

Keep us posted.
  • dawn20dawn20 Posts: 1
    We purchased a Chevy Venture "Value Van"-base model on 5/16/00.After owning it for only a month we have taken it to the dealership many times. The interior plastic molding by the side doors keeps falling down. Also my driver seat-the back of it continues to open. They replaced the seat cover but did not sew it together. They ended up super gluing it and now it is coming apart at the bottom. AFter all of this-the air bag light came on and stayed on-they had to replace something called a pretensioner/belt kit. I have taken it some many times-I count 8 times. I feel like we have purchased a lemon. Has anyone else had these problems? Thanks!!