Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Are you talking about the ones that the seat itself bolts to? If so those are welded to the body. Normally the bolt is welded to a little pedistal and are about a 1/2" above the floor so they don't interfere with the carpet.

• Yeah, those bolts...I hoped to be able to swap them for some about 1/2" taller in front.
  • So, has anyone purchased, test driven, or even seen a 2002 AWD van (Venture, Montana, or Silhouette) yet?
  • Did you not see post #929 above?
  • OK, I'll bite. I meant does anyone besides us have a 2002 AWD Venture, Montana, or Silhouette. I know it's a strange obession, but I have seen others say that their dealers have told them that AWD won't be out untill mid model-year, but we have one now. I'm just looking for some other opinions, impressions, etc. Just wondering if we are some kind of test case without having been told so.
  • stobarstobar Posts: 110
    Hardesty,

Don't understand why dealerships are already taking the buyout when Olds will be still be building through the 2004 model year. Was at my Olds dealer yesterday and they are staying put right through to the end. Glad to hear that as they have an outstanding service department. Luckily, the same guy that owns the Olds dealership in Memphis also owns the Chevrolet dealership, so service will not be an issue.

Barry
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I went to the GM Buypower site and punched in my zipcode and there were 3 Chevies listed out of the 5 dealers checked. The buypower site doesn't have a listing for AWD Olds and Pontiacs yet so couldn't tell if any are around.
  • Can you tell me what your zip is?

I would like to see the dealers that have AWD models in stock.
  • I love the net! Just enter 12345 as the zip code, the first dealer on the list has two AWD Venture LT models in stock (somewhere in NY state). Take advantage of the great financing currently available. Let's produce our way out of these economic doldrums. We have done our part, two 2002 Oldsmobiles in the past two weeks. 2002 is the last year of the Camaro/Firebird, load 'em up, move 'em out!
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    Of all the DIY jobs on this van the air filter is probably the most awkward. However, I have pretty much worked out the most successful way,(ie not getting annoyed).

1. The radiator overflow tank can be removed from the bar. It is just spring clips. The tab from the overflow is secured by a plastic plug. I replaced mine with a self tapping screw.

Undo the two bolts holding the bar at the front and loosen the one at the back. You can the move this out the way. You have to leave the coil like device attached. (This is not show in the hand book picture).

2. Undo the clamp of this assembly on the left under the transmission dip stick.

3. Pull the rubber hose off and bring it forward
    so it releases the tension.

4. Unclip the filter housing and insert new one.

5. Make sure the tabs at the bottom insert into the slots and resecure clips.

6. Re attach large hose and tighten clamp

7. Re secure bar and clip back radiator overflow.

There are two other clamps on the assembly, but do not see need to undo or remove.

Always interested to hear any other ideas.
  • I have been researching minivans for a while now. I was wondering what the status is on the current '02 Venture in regard to crash data (IIHS and NHSTA). I believe the IIHS gave it poor ratings, but weren't these statistics based on a 1997 model? Do standard side airbags in more recent model years improve this? Thanks in advance.
  • Anyone else have a problem with their interior lights not coming on when turning off the ignition at night? Also when opening the driver's door warning chime only operates sometimes. Sometimes the interior lights flicker on and off instead of lighting properly. What was the solution if you encountered this problem.
  • Does anyone have the entire text on this TSB for a 99 Chevy Venture? ~99-04-20-002 DEC 99 Driveline Clunk~ Would really appreciate any assistance! I have an unexplained clunk, think it may apply.
  • I didn't realize the interior lights should come on when you turn off the ignition? I am usually opening the door to exit as I am shutting down the engine, so the light came on anyway. Does the owner's manual say it should?? As far as the warning chime, my operates only when I am in gear. So I usually wait until the door closes before I shift into drive, or put in it park before I open the slider.
  • Alldata offers full Technical Service Bulletins for a yearly fee.

http://www.alldata.com/diy/handshake.html

• My 2000 Venture's interior lighting does come on when I turn the ignition off. If you don't open any doors and it's dark outside this is normal.
  • #99-04-20-002 is a bulletin for light duty trucks and referes to conditions involving rear axles and driveshafts, not the front wheel drive on your Venture. My brother has a 1997 Montana but he hasn't had any light problems.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    The IIHS did not crash test a newer van because it has not been structurally changed since the 1997 model. As such, the results would be similar even if a newer van was tested. The IIHS only crash tests the vehicles in a front offset crash test. Here is the link to the IIHS crash test:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • THe car they crashed was not EX lenth
  • This is our first new GM product. At now 18,000 miles it has been far and away the worst product I have ever encountered. In 25 months now it has been to 3 different Chevy dealers a total of 11 times (twice towed because it would not start).

1.)The rear tailgate strap handle has broken 3 times, svc mgr says yes its a cheap part and we are not alone in having that replaced, we just do not use it now.
    2.) Plastic piece on interior ceiling by driver side sliding door fell down 2 months after we bought it... cheap design, dealership rigged with black gooey puddy.
    3.) 5 times (twice towed) for not starting... no one seems to be able to figure out why... (fuel pump replaced twice, wires, module..one service guy told my wife.. GM is making these vehicles so complicated that pretty soon we won't be able to fix 'em (after that comment we will never go back there).
    4.)Passenger window would not come down steadily, took back to dealership, fixed.
    5.) Water from the air conditioner was dripping on the exhaust system, clip for hose either fell off or was never installed at factory....
    THis past week the Oil level low has come on upon starting, goes out in about 2 minutes, oil was changed less than 1,000 miles ago, checked and its full.

From time to time it struggles to start...once a week or so, dealership could not duplicate problem..

Passenger sliding door now sqeaks going above 55 mph...

......it is a nice van aside from the above but I am absolutely disgusted with the thing. We traded in a '94 Voyager thats only problem was it was leaking oil and my wife like the Venture better than the Caravan... I really hope GM can do better than this, if not they are in a world of hurt.
    Has anyone had this many different quirky problems?
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    I have a 2000 Chevy Venture, has anyone had their dash rattle when going over rough road ?
  • Not the dash, but the passenger sliding door is getting worse by the month. It started off only rattling on the freeway, now going down a 35 mph road that they have sealed the cracks in the asphault now makes it rattle...
    You really need to call Chevrolet customer assistance and they will open a file for you. Explain the problems not only with the van but also the dealerships.

Throughout this site there are many posts that dealers cannot duplicate problems and in some ways the high tech aspects of the van are too complex for the average mechanic. Soon all dealers will have to employ Bsc degreed people to change the oil.
  • melismelis Posts: 7
    I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 or 2002 WB Venture. Is the dealer holdback included in the invoice price or is the holdback an additional expense? I'm having a really tough time getting a decent trade in for my van, 1999 Venture LT w/74K miles on it. Yes, I know that's a lot of miles - our son plays hockey which requires us to drive 140 miles approx. 4-6 times a week. I owe approx. $11,000 on it & the dealers that I've spoken to only want to give me $9300 for it which would mean that I will lose $$ on my van. As it sits right now I'll have to take the cash back since I don't want my payments over $500 a month. How much under invoice can I offer the dealer?

Thanks for all your help!!
    Melissa
  • As you might have read on Edmunds most dealers won't even bargain with their holdback.

But if you can find a 2001 that's probably been on the dealers lot for quite a while they might be willing to go under invoice(but I can't imagine it being more than a few hundred). I doubt you will be able to go under invoice on a 2002.

What you are also going to have to keep in mind is the lower the price they give you for the new van the less they will try to offer you on your trade. They will try to make the money somewhere.

If possible you would probably be better off trying to sell it that way you don't have to play games with the price of the vehicle and the trade in.
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    We recently traded our 1999 Silhouette GLS (original full sticker price of $29,220) on a 2002 Silhouette Premiere AWD. We received $14,500 in trade (with just shy of 26,000 miles). We live in Northern California. The van was just shy of 3 years old, so still just barely under warranty. You probably can get a 2001 at invoice, but not below. Until the end of the month, you can get a 0%, 5 year GMAC loan on 2001 models. The 2002 WB has the DVD instead of the VCP and AWD is available.
    This warning suddenly came on and see from Handbook is emissions related. Has anybody had this and what was the fix. Could it be poor gas or fouled injectors. Seems to idle on the rouhg side.

Thanks
  • I think I read once that there are over 85 different trouble codes that will turn on the light. Number one cause is a loose gas cap. See if your local Chevrolet dealer has Saturday service hours and they can plug a tool into the system to get the code. I do not think gas quality would turn on the light, an injector problem may but again not sure a fouled injector would.
  • Does anyone have the entire text on this TSB for a 99 Chevy Venture?
    ~99-04-20-002 DEC 99 Driveline Clunk~ Would really appreciate any assistance!
    I have an unexplained clunk, think it may apply. (By the way, I got this TSB number from AllData under Chevy Venture Truck 1999.)
  • Yes, the light can come on due to fouled injectors. Mine did, twice. All six injectors were replaced. No more problems so far...