Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Thank you for the link, "agt_cooper". ;-) The crash test results and the evidence of a weak structure and safety cage still stands though, and it's worrysome for people like myself. I can provide actual crash pictures if you like, and you'll see that in some cases (not all, obviously), the offset crash test pictures are reflected. Obviously, I wouldn't presume that all/any of those real world crashes are identical (hence the reason why crash tests are useful), of course, so they're taken with a pinch of salt.

Honestly, I do wish that they did better since the GM vans do ride and drive quite well (a friend of mine used to own a '98 Transport Montana, until he saw the IIHS crash tests coverage on Dateline NBC; he kept it for another year and then sold it), not to mention being available with the VersaTrak AWD system soon.

Mr impartial host

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • One would assume that the IIS, NHTSA, etc., perform crash testing in the hopes of predicting real-world performance. However, based on a comparison of test data to real world statistics, there seems to be a significant lack of correlation. So, if the crash test results don't appear to reflect actual results, why should anyone use them to determine which vehicle to buy?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Why is it I go to the Chrysler van boards and give my opinion and catch hell for it. At least I own a van. Or host is giving his opinions and he don't even own a van. Also tells how great the Montana is and the Venture isn't. To me that is no more then I was doing, and was asked to stop.
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    As my Venture is insured through State Farm, I checked with them to determine if there was a better rate for the Montana. They say not, however SF is reviewing all crash tests reports and may offer discounts to vehicles with high ratings. Believe SF web site has some info.
  • I thought it was the hosts job to keep the discussion on topic, not on the topic the way he/she likes!!!

Edmunds, are you listening???

offham...

Here is a link to an article about the reduction, including the Pontiac Montana. The reduction is only on the Medical portion of the auto policy, and it was to apply to 44 states....maybe your state is not one of them?

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/business/DailyNews/statefarm_rates_001128.html
    agt_cooper, any posts with regards to the Venture (including its crash tests results) are perfectly on-topic. You'll find crash test results discussed in just about all vehicle topics in Townhall (ex. Odyssey, Sienna, etc.) My posts were not directed to you specifically, but to the person who requested more info on the Venture. Besides, you were the one who mentioned the offset crash tests, not me. I simply shed more light on it. If a Venture got into a 40% offset front collision with another vehicle (both travelling at about 40mph), you can bet that the real world results would be similar to the crash tests.

dmatthews3, the reasons why your posts were removed were described in Steve's, my co-host, e-mail to you. I never said the Venture was better/worse than the Montana. In fact, I said that they were structurally identical. Lastly, I do frequently drive a minivan. It's running perfectly fine, thanks.

Drew
    Host
  • My 1999 venture LS had the same problem. After the third try(the lemon law trigger) they found the problem quote"left seat belt pretensioner deployment loop has high resistance trace harness-pinched under seat frame replace belt". The fail code was B1040 Cond Code WK Operation C902. belt kit part# 000 012457480 was replaced. Hope this helps. It did stop the problem. Of course they
    may have just taken out the bulb!
  • The offset impact test results are only relevant to collisions with vehicles of exactly the same mass as the test subject....
    agt_cooper, yes, of course! For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction. I do realise that's why minivans have an advantage in accidents with cars. However, with the proliferation of SUVs, pickup trucks, and minivans on the roads today, there is a fairly high chance (though not as much as with a car; I suppose it depends where you live) of being involved in an accident, god forbid, with one of those aforementioned vehicle classes.

Best of luck...

Drew
    Host
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Of course they may have just taken out the bulb!

I am only guessing but on most vehicles when you first turn on the ignition before cranking the starter most bulbs can be checked. It should light up.
  • I had 2 Ventures (1997 & 1999). Both were good cars in general. The second one I got more bells and whistles on it (automatic rear door and trip computer).

I put a lot of miles on a car - about 1000 a week. I had 95K on the first one when the engine check light came on. I took it to the local dealer and it told them it was a transmission problem. The spent a lot of time on the car and finally said that the closest diagnosis they could come up with was a problem with one of the 5 sensors in the transmission. They said they would suggest replacing all of them as they could not tell which one it was. Estimated bill $1500.

I still felt that it was a good car and traded for another. To make a long story short, the second one got 72K before it also developed transmission problems.

Needless to say, I am done with Chevy vans
    Further my post #653, I was disappointed by Chevrolet who came back and said go to the dealer..Don't they know ?

From the parts screen it would appear that the ash tray and cup holders are part of the frame (200/2001) which goes around the center switches etc. The price for this part is $75.00. We will live with the seat mounted ones !!!
    Re agt cooper post. Took article to SF Agent, who quite interested but believe does not apply in NJ as has the highest of density of vehicles per mile in the US. With the ice/snow, body shops are booming.
  • Have had several Dodge/Ply and Windstar vans. Will I be happier in a Venture or should I stay with Dodge or Ford?
  • Hi.. my wife has a '99 Montana with 42,000 mi on it. The "Check Engine Light" just came on. Was wondering if this light is programmed to come on at this time for periodic maintenance (oxygen sensor, etc) or if there's actually something wrong with the engine. Has anyone else had this light come on and, if so, what was the problem? Thanks.
    Really no point anybody guessing as believe can cover variety of issues including oxygen sensors. looks like a trip to the dealer to check it out on the computer.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    I had a 95 Windstar and the transmission and engine problems though it never left us stranded. Got the wife a 2000 Venture but we kept the Windstar as a spare car and soon after that Ford had the incentives for dissatisfied 95 Windstar owners (here's a bribe so you don't join a class action law suit against us for making a piece of junk) so I traded it in for a 2000 Windstar. Only reason I even considered it was the 4 grand Ford were giving out and the 0.9% financing.
    Wife has put 18K on the Venture and the in law has put 6K on the Windstar. We have had to bring the Windstar in for one recall and another is still needing to get fixed, and they have had to replace an accelerator pedal housing (someone left bits of plastic in it) and a gear shift interlock (its sort of neat to drive around and be in a forward gear with the dash saying you are in reverse), plus various trim problems. The Venture has been flawless - unless you consider un kid proof upholstery a design problem.(If any manufacturer needs a 3 year old who will kick the heck out of the seat in front for testing purposes give me a call!)
    My fathers experience with Pontiac put me off GM for the last 3 decades! But the Venture has actually been very nice. Only major complaint is the crummy headlights.
    Maybe I'm just lucky but GM gets my vote for now. I suspect my opinion will change in about 30000 miles. The 8 seat option is fantastic. The main reason we got a GM van. Why don't the other mini van makers do that? Even Toyota in European Previas had 8 seats!
  • Hello, I'm new to your Town Hall and have a question regarding my '97 short Venture. bought it new and it has 25.5K miles on it. Since the first day I noticed after the gas tank has been filled and a few gallons have been used, when I come to a stop, there is a thump that can be felt in the back of my seat. Asking the Dealer has brought the "Dead Body Thump" response, he has heard from other customers with that problem, but offered no solution. One possibility he brought up, the lack of "baffles"in the tank. But no info. was available from the Mfg/GM.
    Any idea? Thanks, BernieK
    Re problem posed under above. Do believe it is related to the gas tank theory and that if you come to sudden stop then the gas in the tank, especially over 75/80% full does cause this noise.

Experienced it on the old Chevy Lumina van and to a mild degree on my Venture 2000. My be worth checking the securing bolts of the tank to see if the need tightening. In checking www.alldata.com there was not a recall on this issue.
  • The tank bolts checked out o.k. As you noticed, there was no re-call, it's just annoying. Maybe more pronounced in my short Venture? Are there supposed to be baffles to preclude this?.