Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• Also the galvanized steel isn't supposed to rust easily right? Only time will tell. They use salt here when the roads get icy and salt wasn't kind to my previous vehicle.
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    The two storage bins either side of the third row have lids. Not that we use tem a great deal, but the hinges are plastic. It so happened for some unexplicable reason, the passenger side rear lid was virtually hanging off when I went to the van in the am.

I am not sure how Chevrolet designers believe that this will last in the long haul as each time the lid is opened, assume the hinge is gradually weakened

New part $40
  • My last message was Jan 7/02, we took the Van in on Jan 10, 02.
    Dealer (third time around) said problem was fixed, leak was around glass seal.
    It is now Jan 12, last night it rained and the water ran in along the right rear post, exactly the same as it has been prior to the last three service visits. Way to go GM.
    The next comment really belongs in the Malibu post but since it so closely associated with what we are going through, I must pass it along.
    I drive a 99 Malibu enforcement vehicle, which normally sits in an outside compound. Last time I had someone in the back seat he complained about smell so I checked the trunk, 1st time in one week.
    The wheel well was completely full of water, about 3 gallons, and another two inches in the trunk.
    The Municipal dealer (not the same as our personal Van dealer), found 3 separate seam joint leaks into the vehicle.
    Way to go GM.
  • p222p222 Posts: 5
    had a 2001 chevy ext.van that had middle and rear window leaks,had to shop 8 times and they still leaked chevy gave me another van and this one leaks also. had this one to shop 3 times so far. have been told its a common problem.
  • tameshtamesh Posts: 1
    We have a 97 Venture with a seemingly weird problem. When parked the blower (fan on the dash) comes on at a high speed for about a couple of seconds and then shuts off. This can happen every 10 minutes. Of course the dealer cannot find anything wrong.

Any ideas of what the problem may be? Thanks in advance.
  • Are you the original owner of this Venture? I am guessing that you are not. I think the van has had a update to the AC system. It will blow the fan on high to help dry out the AC evaporator to keep mold growth down.
  • I gave it more thought. There should be some sort of temp control, I believe, to keep it from working in the cold weather, which it should be if you are in Canada. Have the dealer check it out, now that we haved guessed what it is, to make sure it is operating properly.
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    I had a water leak on 2000 Venture LS - in the tailgate area. They've "improved" with some sort of silicone the rubber (or is it plastic?) seal on top of the gate aruond the wiring harness. That stopped the leak.

Other than that I had (under 3000 miles - covered by warranty) right rear shock absorber replaced twice (it was LEAKING :-) some sort of lubricant); also right-side mirror was dead on errival and was replaced.

Other than that everything seems to be fine (25000 miles so far... ) - knock on wood; my wife just loves the van and refuses to drive anything else. It's like a Rubbermaid product - not very flashy, but very practical. We'll see how it holds up, if it doesn't we'll get the Odyssey next time.

Tomek
  • hfdadhfdad Posts: 29
    Has anyone replaced their headlight bulbs with any thing brighter than the factory installed? I never realized how poor these were until I drove a Mazda Tribute and saw a big difference.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    If you scroll back probably a 100 or so posts ther was some discussion on headlamps. In a nutshell, sylvania offers some replacement headlamps called "cool blue" I believe. They are reportedly about 30% brighter. If I remember right those that said they replaced them said they are worth it. I believe they said cost is about $15 per bulb. You can get them at Walmart, or any auto supply , auto zone etc. I believe a poster named offham may be able to give you more info if you need it. Hope this helps.
    I know there have been previous posts on oil changes, but I don't remember this issue being discussed. There is wiring harness that runs under my oil filter. When removing the filter the oil drip onto this harness and runs down to the frame section below the engine. It actually runs inside the boxed section, and must pool there somewhat, because it drips from there for a couple of days. Anybody else with the same problem, and is ther a quick fix to either move the harness or catch the dripping oil before it hits the harness. Thanks.
    Re the post 1090 and I have tried about three types and have to say not greatly impressed. Noone has flashed their lights at me on high beam.

I noticed that the beam seems scattered...you can only put them in one way, but when you see the ads on the packaging, you almost expect lighthouse standards.

However, I did start to adjust the raise the headlights to give a longer beam and it may be a question of adjustment.

Certainly these after markets are not cool blue or white dazzlers.
    Re 1091 and changing oil. Usual process for me is to drain oil from engine, and when down to a drip, undo the filter a half a turn, to release pressure. Also release the filler cap.

Put an old towel or rag on the cross member just behind the oil filter. This should catch the over spillage, when you start to finally remove the filter.

Getting the filter down in an upright position as there is oil still in it is the next key.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Try J.C. Whitney as they carry replacements for most headlights. My 96 GMC was a 4 light system with outside lights normal and high beams the outside ones turned off and inside were the high beams. I was told that the normal lights are 35 watts and high beams are 55 watts. I replaced the lower beams with 55 watts and high beams with I believe thery were 100 watts (can't remember now.) They also sold a kit that converted them for high beam so all 4 lights lit when you turned on high beams. Now let me tell you they lit up the road.
  • Is the Venture a Reliable Van???

1 What kind of motor problems does it have?
    a Are there blown head gaskets like the Windstar and Chryslers?
    2 Does the transmission have problems with shifting or not getting into gear?

I haven't noticed these kind of problems in this message center. Boy, you ought tolook at the Ford Windstar and any Chrysler mini vans.

Thanks for any info...
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    Our Venture has been flawless. We like it better now than when we bought it new.
    There seems to be a lot of owners with bad leaks at different locations on the van.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    Hi, I have to say the Chevy Venture is quite reliable, I haven't had any major problems and i've owned my 2000 Venture for 4 mos so far.

Ford Windstars and Chrysler vans are having major issues with their transmissions and head gaskets, the Windstar seemed to be plagued with that head gasket problem every since they started making the vans.
    Then with Chyrsler/Dodge theres the Transmission problems. If you read just a few of their postings on their forums its enough to turn you off from getting one of those vans.
    The leaking problem on the Venture in prior messages I had not heard of until now. otherwise you should take one out on a test drive and compare, the Venture to me drives just like a sedan and in my opinion is a good value compared to the competitors.
    masonmi says: The leaking problem on the Venture in prior messages I had not heard of until now.
    Check out messages 1083,84,88 for starters and if you go back far enough you will find many more.
    That one of the reasons I own a Venture. Mine is an 01 with 24000mi. I have had a couple of very minor problems easily fixed under warranty. All things considered I love the van.
    There have been a far number of posts about leaking windows invarious places on these vans, I(I have not had this problem) other that that I have not noticed any consistent quality problems in the posts on this site, I've read them all at one time or another.
    I don't think even Toyota or Honda can claim that. Both the Sienna and Odyssey have problem specific sites. Nobody has yet seen the need to start one for any of the GM trio.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    Yes thats what I was refering to when I said I haven't heard of this problem until now, I would think the owners would have the leak fixed under warranty if the van was purchased at a dealership and is still new or still under warranty coverage. the leaking problem isn't on all Chevy Venture vans, and its sure a far cry from having your transmission or head gasket replaced on the competitors vans.
    The main leak posting has been related to water ingressing into the jack well. The cause of this seems to be water getting via the two rubber wiring boots under the hatch back. This is cured by putting sealant under the lip of the two boots.

I also recall poor sealing of weld seams around the wheel arches.

In repsect of the rear side windows, not sure if it is the power operated or manually done. There must be some form of adjustment to tighten the glass against the rubber seal.
    Glenn:

I think you will find that most Venture owners that post on this site are more than satisfied, in overall terms as to the performace of the van.

As it was just recently posted, none of the GM van sites have specific problem sites unlike all the others.

I find it quite ironic that Consumer Reports always votes up DC, Toyota, Ford and Mazda, but loves to slam GM vans.

The 3.4 liter engine in the van is a little noisy under acceleration, but on highway it cruises effortlessly at 65/70 mph. Transmission is very smooth as well.
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    I'd say it cruises effortlessly at 80mph, too. And it gets much better gas mileage and twice the range of Honda Odyssey.
    Tomek
  • greg32greg32 Posts: 48
    Our 97 Venture extended has 54,000 miles on it with no major problems. The biggest problem was the battery going out at 37k miles. Did have some problems with the electric sliding door not closing intermittently but since the new battery have not had the problem. I think we got a bad battery initially. It's been a great van. Very versatile. Held the two of us, our three kids and a dog with all the required luggage to Florida (1000 miles one way) and back with no problems.
  • hfdadhfdad Posts: 29
    I have a 99 Venture, only money put into it so far has been for oil changes and rear brake adjustment. I have 33,000 miles on it and will probably need new tires by next winter. Had 2 Ford vans and like the Chevy better. Happy so far with it.
  • Some some white stuff this morning on the van, neighbours think its snow but are not sure, they've never seen it before. (Just rubbing it in for my Canadian cousins)

Anyway, probably my last post on this forum, at least for vans anyway. Thanks to all those who had suggestions.

Continuing my epic on the leaky 2000 Venture Van, the dealer after 5 tries now absolutely positively, guaranteed that there would be no more water leaks. They kept it for a week and alternately flooded and dried it. All gaskets and seals replaced and three welded seams repaired, all around the upper right rear tailgate post.

While I did not doubt their belief, having sleepless nights wondering what could be the next problem resulted in taking the van from their repair shop immediatly up to the next Chev dealer up the road and trading it in on a near new Olds Alero GL V6 with every option exc lthr and sunrf..

Wholesale value slightly higher than the Van so they agreed on an $800 (Can)$480(US)profit for doing the paperwork and maybe selling the van for a better markup. Our van is listed wholesale at $17,290 (Can) $10,374 (US).
    The Alero is wholesale priced at $17,995(Can)$10,797(US)

It was funny that the best our original dealer could do on a trade was a 1999 Malibu LS that in my Black Book Canadian Equivalent to the US Kelly Blue Book was listed at $12,200 (Can)$7300 (US). DiD they know something about their van we did'nt??

Both my wife and myself feel a lot better and hope we do not have to show up on the "Alero" forum. Hope the rest of you have happy "vanning", it does not seem to be in the cards for us.
  • jpc47jpc47 Posts: 62
    Does anyone know what the tow package for the 98 Venture consists of? I'm looking for a transmission cooler and air shocks, preferably aftermarket. Do I need to go through Chevy?
  • jpc47jpc47 Posts: 62
    Found what I needed in J.C. Whitney catalog on line. Gabriel makes the shocks.
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    In addition to the load leveling system (which can be handled by the air shocks mentioned), the towing package consists of a larger radiator (with a larger transmission cooler included) and a water cooled engine oil cooler. If you go aftermarket, I would add both a transmission cooler and an engine oil cooler to best match the factory system.