Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• Starting to pick up a little rocking motion on our Venture. It's not used for hauling (as we have a pickup for that), but sometimes we have to haul home what we buy so it's not out of the question either.

Anybody out there replaced their shocks and have recommendations on brands and models?
  • ern35ern35 Posts: 11
    I'm not really sure where this question would fit in, so I'll try here.

I will be renting a van in May to drive cross-country, (East coast to AZ and back)and according to the rental company, it will be a Chevy Venture or similar vehicle. I am not at all familar with vans, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what else is similar to the Venture. I am renting from AVIS, and I believe they stick with GM/American made.

Thanks in advance.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Why didn't you just ask them why you had their attention? My guess is any other van made from somewhere in the world.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    The similar vans are Oldsmobile Silhouette and Pontiac Montana. These vans are all essentially identical except for certain optional features.
    I had rented a van from Avis for the same reason, it ended up being a Silo. I liked it enough that I ended up buying a Venture shortly afterwards. Enjoy your trip, and FYI the GM trio are rated at the highest gas mileage of all minivans.
    Could be a DC van too. Sometimes there idea of a similar product may not even be a van.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    I used to have a creaking sliding door on my Dodge Caravan, and I had to have the door aligned and reset several times by the dealer, I now have a 2000 Venture and haven't heard a creak or any sliding door noise since i've had it, they seemed to be constructed quite well, I hope they cure you're creaking sound.
  • Took the van in last Monday. 2 days and $250 (3 hours of diagnostics and 40 miles of test drive)later, they said although they heard the clicking, they couldn't reproduce the problem, so they told me to come back if the problem re-appeared. Luckily the $250 is billed to Chevy for warranty work. On Friday, it happened again. Dropped it off yesterday, and they found the Body Control Module (BCM) to be shorted internally, which cause the locks to latch erractically. Half hour worth of labor ($40) and a new BCM module ($142), I am back in business. The only difference I have noticed is that it seems the last door lock function is now engaged. Before this work, if I leave the doors unlucked the previous night, the doors remain unlocked until the next day. Now it seems after a short while, the doors lock automatically. I read the instruction on programming this function, and it sounded pretty complicated.
  • Had venture at another dealer. they also called gm technical assistance told them it is a structural problem not enough support to span 2 sliding doors across from one another they are working on a fix. Called gm they told me it is a "characteristic of the vehicle" and each vehicle has its own characteristics and they can't do anything for this. I asked if this was a safety concern b/c of the structural problem and no one will answer me. both service managers told me they have other customers with the same complaint . Is any one else having this problem? Who should I contact for satisfaction ? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Hi, Did the dealership attempt to re-align the door or do any adjustments? thats what my problem was on my Dodge Caravan, after the doors were re-aligned they were fine, I think its more of a flaw from the factory than a characteristic of the van, i've been in a few different Venture's and never noticed any sliding door noise. Even on my Venture I never had sliding door noises.
  • No they didn't. Offham suggested that too. I asked the 1 st dealer to do it and he told me that if that was the problem technical assistance would of told them to do it. They said that being a structural problem it wouldn't make a difference if door was re hung. I am at wits end dealing with GM made 4 phone calls today to clear it up and no one can give me satisfaction. Any idea who to contact at GM that could help? Is there a middle man from gm that can listen to the noise and determine the appropriate action to take or does gm rely on their dealerships to do this? any help would be appreciated.
    Hi, How about looking into the Lemon Law? Is it new with just 6000 miles on it? i'd go over the dealerships head and get satisfaction, it doesn't sound like they're even trying to make an attempt to correct the problem.
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    For those experiencing the infamous "GM cold start engine knock" Go to the Silverado board and look up "GM Engine Knock" quite a few posts pertaining to it and what GM is offering (only if you speak loud enough) to shut us up. I just recieved an additional 2 years or 54,000 miles component warranty for my 5.3L engine in my Silverado. So basically I get a 3yr/36,000 for the whole truck and 5yr/100,000 for the engine.

If you failed to notify your dealer prior to your 3yr/36,000 mile warranty running out then you are S.O.L. GM will do nothing for you. By the way GM states in latest Technical Service Bulletin that the "knock" is normal, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you too! So why are they handing out extended component warranties if it's normal, are the ones that don't knock abnormal ??? Synthetic oil makes NO difference if you have this condition. This condition is also known as "piston slap" by GM engineers. Hope this info helps those who have it.

I came to the Venture board because I am not happy with our 2000 Windstar and am looking for another van but with the engine knock in the entire GM line I'm not so sure it will be a GM product.

Ray T.
    36K and 54K is 90K where I went to school.
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Got me on that one, I meant 64,000.
    I have an excuse it's called Age Associated Memory Impairment LOL!

Thanks for catching that one.

Ray T.
    You don't have to tell me about getting old. Sometimes I think I was born before dirt.
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    Fighting to get past all the geriatric posters. I saw you note. To my knowledge this is the first issue on these boards..incl Pontiac/Olds. GM knock out 175,000 of these clones last year. Is your dealer saying that this van has a structural fault and no recall ???

GM should have a Regional Office and the dealer should have that info. Talk to another dealer, you need another opinion. Time consuming as it may be you cannnot go on with this packaged BS

Kick you know hat.....
  • The service manager said they have a structural problem. They have no fix as of yet. GM tech's are trying to duplicate the problem so they can develop a fix. It could take them up to 2 months to solve. I am going to try and get the regional office tomorrow hopefully they will be able to resolve this. Thanks for your help.
    I'd check into the Lemon Law about you're van, if its new with just 6000 miles on it, i'd definately pursue the Lemon Law and get some satisfaction, It sounds like they're giving you the run around at your dealership, they could at least re-align the door and see if that takes care of the problem.
  • I saw that the Feds (NHTSA) have opened a safety investigation this month about the child seat shoulder harness clips discussed here a while ago. Investigation number: PE02017. Send any complaints you may have about these clips to:
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline
  • contacted dealer today service manager told me he does not have any numbers he can give me for regional gm office. told me to call gm cares called them and was told I need to take vehicle to 1 more dealer for another opinion then they will forward the info to a regional office who will then talk to me if they feel necessary. I am really getting screwed here. does anyone know much about the lemon law I never had to use it . I guess I will now. the van was bought new Aug. 2001 and only has 7000 miles on it. I would appreciate anyone help.