Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Hatchback - Part II

mznmzn Posts: 727
edited March 5 in Ford
There is so much to talk about when it comes to
the Ford Focus that we're already on round 2. To
read previous posts, please click here.

carlady/host

Comments

• Dont try a header or a K&N Filter just to get a power boost...its not about how fast the bad air can be filtered or gotten out of the engine its how fast the EXHAUST can convert the fumes and get them out of the car...my first step would DEFINATELY be to get an exhaust system on the car prior to installing headers or an air filter...but all three combined would almost maximize your performace...
    JD
  • Well said, Steve!
  • How many of you have seen the Wings West package for the ZX3? The total cost was almost 18 hundred, seems alot for relatively modest mods( that price does include factory matched paint). Is the price likely to decline as the ZX3 becomes more popular?
  • I think there was a brief article about that car in last month's edition of Sport Compact Car, alongside a glowing review of the stock ZX3.
  • Just bought a Sangria Red ZX3 (5 speed, AC) for 11,288 + tt&l = 12,459 at Lone Star Ford in Houston. They had three at this price, about a thousand dollars below invoice.
  • Technically, I thought the header IS part of the exhaust. I agree though, the filter on the intake won't do much. I'd do the header and the exhaust at the same time, but if I had to choose, I guess I'd do the exhaust (cat-back) first since it's generally cheaper. I've seen test results of 1-6 HP increase on headers for a stock 138 HP car, depending on the make -- anyone know what just the cat-back would provide in additional ponies? I'm guessing 5 at best.
  • Well the Horsepower added to the car after exhaust is quite varied. In some cases where the RSR Performance exhaust has been put on a honda civic hatch the hp jumped 10 horses. Others may vary from 5-10 or so...
    JD
  • guys, who actually makes the zetec engine? Ford? Also, FYI, I read a news thing on fordnews.com that said a smaller, more fuel efficient zetec will be offered soon on the focus. I would prefer the 2.0 one in there now but I think it's good that they are offering the choice of the zetec technology for the littler one too.
  • I also read that Ford may replace the 2.0 with a 2.3 in 2002, but that I'm not sure how reliable the source was.
  • The smaller Zetec is planned for overseas markets only. www.fordnews.com posts Ford related news from all over the world.

www.blueovalnews.com had the info about the 2.3 liter engine, but that could change.
  • $1800 for what? The $650 kit and what else?

That seems like a lot.

CM
  • focus named "best car under 15,000" on the Today show this morning. My father's starting to respect my choice as he hears all these accolades from the car magazines. I say, "what you think, daughter don't know nothin'?"
    My weird little motorhead friend just keeps yelling "FOCUS!!!!!!!!" everytime he sees me.
  • Does anyone who has driven both the sedan version of the Focus and the ZX3 think one is quieter than the other in terms of 1) road noise and/or 2) engine noise? If so, which is quieter?
  • jamers85jamers85 Posts: 100
    LET ME SHARE MY FRUSTRATION AND CAN ANYONE HELP ME TRASH THE COMPANY RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE NEWLY ARRIVED CARS TO THE DEALERSHIPS.
    I HAVE ORDERED MY CAR 10/19, PRODUCTION WAS 11/15/99. THE CAR ARRIVED AT NEWARK (CLOSES SPOT TO MY DEALERSHIP WHERE CARS ARE DELIVERED FROM THE FACTORY) ON DECEMBER 15 AND WHERE IS THE CAR? STILL IN NEWARK WAITING TO BE DELIVERED. I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE ANYMORE WHAT I'M GOING TO DO IF I DON'T GET THIS BEFORE NEW YEAR...AAAHHHHH!!!!!
    AM I GOING CRAZY OR ARE THEY CRAZY?....ARE THERE ANYONE HERE FROM NEW YORK? HAVE YOU GOTTEN YOUR ZX3 YET? AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

SORRY, IM JUST LETTING OUT MY FRUSTRATIONS
  • Up to twelve weeks is normal. Don't let anyone tell you different.
  • I can understand your frustration, jamers85. I ordered my ZX3 on September 28, and I was just able to pick it up yesterday, December 23. While I was at the dealership, I saw no other ZX3s anywhere on the lot save mine, and another that was prepped for delivery to some other lucky soul who was getting a timely Christmas present. It was a long wait, but boy was it worth it. I couldn't be happier with the first impression this car is making on me.

Hopefully this means that ZX3s will now start trickling into the dealerships very soon for all the folks who are still waiting for theirs. Here's hoping yours comes in before the new year!
  • Hi, I'm only fifteen and I am already in love with the Focus ZX3. I have read and collected every article on the Focus since Feb. of 99. I go to Ford dealerships whenever I am within a one mile radius of one, I guess you could say I'm obsessed, but hey.
    I have read that in the spring you will be able to order the ZX3 with power windows, which is well worth waiting for for those of you haven't yet ordered or bought one. Has anyone seen a Focus in Autumn Orange yet? I'm dying to see one. Does it look good? What do you think the best color in hte Focus is?
    Congrats. to all of you have had the fortune of buying one. I can't wait till I turn 16!
  • alf3alf3 Posts: 83
    How do the rear seatbacks in the ZX3 fold? I know the seat backs fold 60-40, but do they fold flat? Do you also fold the bottom seat cushion forward?
  • The seat backs fold flat. You have to flip the bottom cushion onto the floor a la Golf.
  • The seat back only fold flat if you fold both sides and lift the bottom of the seat forward. The seat cushion is one piece and does not split 60/40 like the seat backs.
  • i have seen a focus in autumn orange... it is not that bad, but it is more of a redish-orange. (as in looks a bit more red than orange) it is not a bad colour though
  • jamers85jamers85 Posts: 100
    thanx for listening to my frustrations and for giving me encouragements. i'll soon find out this coming week before new year my faith of having the
    Focus zx3 in my possession.
  • orlockorlock Posts: 25
    The back seats fold down when the trunk is open.
  • What happens if you want to switch the shift knob? will there be problems with the "lock out" mechanism?
    JD
  • I recently read where the ZX3 went from 0-60 in 8.9 seconds and the top speed was 125. Is 125 the drag limit on the European model or the U.S. and Candadian models?
  • tjts2tjts2 Posts: 18
    125 is the drag limit for the Eoro model. On our side of the pond, the car is limited to 106 mph. Am I the only one bothered by this?
  • The only thing that should bother you is the quality of the tires that they put on the car that limits it to 106mph. The ZX2 is limited to 106 as well (because of the OEM tires).

Cm
  • Any ideas for freeing up the US model to the rightly deserved 125? Buy a different chip or something?
  • alf3alf3 Posts: 83
    Has anyone seen a ZX3 in Twilight Blue?? How does it look?
  • xquxqu Posts: 55
    I got my ZX3 in twilight blue, it looks great. I just put on 2000 miles in a week (from Virginia to Florida round trip) since I picked it up, no problem at all. Need to get my first oil change soon :o)
This discussion has been closed.