Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 VW Golf

Comments

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,365
    you would have to drive the TDI 86,538 miles before you would recuperate the original $2500 price difference. Just some food for thought.

Some additional food for thought. I consider a car with 86,538 miles to be well broken-in. My wife and I have a car (gas job in this case) with 260,000 miles on it. While at this point I consider it to be heading for the last round-up, when it was at 173,076 miles (twice your calculated break even point) it was still one of our mainstream rides.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    you would have to drive the TDI 86,538 miles before you would recuperate the original $2500 price difference. Just some food for thought.

Here is more food for thought to enjoy munching on.

Not only will you make up the difference in fuel cost's by 90,000 miles, you will actually make a PROFIT when you sell the diesel at 90,000 miles.

Example:
    $9105 KBB value for 2003 Jetta GLS TDI Sedan 90,000 miles
    $5855 KBB value for 2003 Jetta GLS TDI Sedan 90,000 miles

Diesel is worth $3250 more than gasoline model at 90,000 miles. Diesel retains higher resale value.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    The HatchBack is back and in demand. Alot of people looked down on them. The Acura Integ and RSX was dropped.(Big mistake Acura) Mazda HB's are selling fast. They even built them with a smile.Cheverolet has the Aveo, but don't lean your elbows on it,as they'll ding it.Just look at the Versa, Fit, Yaris and the Sion HB's they are selling as fast as they come in.The Astra Hatches are nice ,but like the Accent they need more HP. (just tweaked a little) Watch out for Kia's Soul and a HB Forte.( KIa's a comer)
    I hope Ford gets the Focus right and VW 's reliability problems have been ironed out. Ford better get off their duffs and get that Focus here or they might loose out to the competion.
    I forgot to mention the Mini, nows the time to get one,if you want one.
    One question . How come VW makes a quality, sort off bullit proof car in the GTI, but could never seem to get it right with the Golf? :confuse:
  • Those with experience please chime in - Consumerreports reliablity of Turbodiesel Golfs is horrendous. Black circles everywhere. Someone give me some real life stories of how your Golf has held up - TDI or not. I want one but staring at that reliability report is going to be hard to overcome.

It should be noted that the last 2 years of gasoline Rabbit '07 and '08 have been very reliable (or above average).
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,035
    The 2010 Golf won the 2009 car of the world title.

NEW YORK, April 9, 2009 -- The Volkswagen Golf was honored as the 2009 World Car of the Year. A jury comprised of fifty-nine international automotive journalists from twenty-five countries around the world chose this year's World Car of the Year, which was announced this morning at a news conference during the New York International Auto Show. "It is a tremendous honor for Volkswagen to have its global best selling model, the Golf, named the 2009 World Car of the Year," said Stefan Jacoby,

I have two acquaintances with early Golf TDI models. They seem to love them. Neither would get rid of them until a better car comes along. VW did suffer from reliability issues over the last decade. My neighbor has a 98 Beetle TDI and would not trade it for anything. His wife drives it everywhere and leaves their big car in the garage.

I have not seen anything but rave reviews of the new Golf GTD (high powered TDI for EU & rest of the World) As usual we get the neutered versions in the USA.
  • Regarding the 2010 VW GOLF TDI,

Will the 2010 GOLF TDI engine and auto transmission be assembled in Germany?
    Also, will the 2010 TDI GOLF be assembled in Wolfsburg?

Thanks
  • Spoke with VW group of America this morning and they stated the 2010 Golf TDI that is coming to America in October will indeed be built in Germany, not Mexico or Brazil. The engine and tranny - everything will be built there. I find this news to be good news and raises the probability that I will purchase one.

Did anyone read the quote from GM vice pres who stated that There is no way to make a respectable case for diesel success in America - or something close to that... Seems like an ignorant statement to me. Very close minded.
  • I don't believe that ANYONE at GM (Government Motors) :lemon: can be taken seriously about ANYTHING regarding the automotive business. They had to be bailed out by,..ummm ME and other taxpayers.

I wouldn't drive a GM product if they gave it to me free of charge. I'd sell it and buy either a German or Japanese vehicle.

I know more about cars, and MAKING A PROFIT, than any GM VP.

I think the GOLF TDI will be a great vehicle, and I hope to purchase one.
    It's the truth you wait and see. My Acura from Japan didn't have heated seats, but the ones shipped to Canada had them. The Focus HB we rented to travel from Germany to Swizerland was a sweet ride. I was in the high speed lanes on the Autobahn.It was a rocket.I did alot of down shifting in the Alps and France.
    However, that model is not coming to the USA. So,I'm really lookin' at the V dub,but I remember the auto window motors burning out in the Golf's and alot of electrical and tranny problems. I don't care if thy won an award at an auto show ,give me some owners reviews. I mean reviews of the VW Golf, forget GTI I had one, great machine. The Jetta seems to be selling well,but mostly the TDI.
    If Roger Penski can raise the money you'll get the car you want. :shades:
  • ncskibumncskibum Posts: 42
    I have a 2000 TDI Beetle with 135000 miles on it. I have had problems with little things but not the body, engine, or tranny. I have been told that the newer VWs are better built but when I buy my new VW diesel, I will get the extended warranty.
    What's the cost and duration . SKi Vail Freestyle !
  • Question - VW pegs the Jetta TDI sedan 0-60 at 8.2 per their website. If I'm reading this right, the Golf TDI will have the same engine, will weigh a hundred lbs or more less than the Jetta, but 0-60 will be 9.3?????

Also VW says the Jetta Sedan tdi and Jetta Sportwagen tdi have the same curb weight?? Called VW of A and they said the same thing - they weigh the same. Impossible right? Someone shine some light on these 2 questions por favor.
  • Can't really give a good answer about the curb weight but I can certainly give a good answer for the 0-60 times. Just because they have the same engine doesn't mean they have the same transmission or final drive ratio. If the Golf TDI has a slower 0-60 and weighs less, that tells me that it is geared to stay in a lower RPM range. I'll bet that 70mph in the Jetta TDI turns higher RPMs than 70mph in the Golf TDI does.
  • marlyecemarlyece Posts: 26
    Is the Golf TDI due here in September or October? The pricing was supposed to be available but it isn't yet...
  • zivatarzivatar Posts: 1
    You must not be reading the same Consumer Reports I am. Consumer Reports only has reliability ratings for one year of the Golf diesel--2002--which rates it as average (open circle, no red) overall, same for engine major, solid black (much worse than average) for engine minor, solid red (much better than average) for engine cooling.

There's more data for more years for the near-identical Jetta diesel, which shows a very gradual improvement overall, edging into "better than average" in the last year with sufficient data (2006).

I suspect you were looking at the "turbo" ratings (i.e., GTI or GLI), which indeed are horrendous in early years, but also showed steady but gradual improvement over the years.

Note however that the diesel engine in the new Golf, and in this year's Jetta, is almost completely different from the past VW turbodiesel engines.

Finally, my own VW diesel (96 passat TDI, but same engine as diesel Golfs and Jettas until they went to the higher-tech PD engine in, I think, 2001) has had no engine problems at all through 130,000 miles. But all four door handles have gone once, the passenger front door handle gone twice, the driver's door handle four times (no joke), the front power window regulators on both sides, the hvac controls twice, the alternator, the air conditioning compressor, and the u-joints on both sides and, most recently, the ignition switch (the electrical part, not the mechanical part). Oh, and the outside trunk lock went in the first year--I never bothered to fix it because of the cost--don't remember the amount, but it was totally ridiculous--but use the inside trunk release button. OTOH, the original brake pads on all four wheels are still (barely) hanging on. VWs in general seem to getting gradually better, but we aren't talking Honda reliability by any means even at best.
  • Good post Zivitar

Marlyece,
    Everything I hear is that it will be available in mid-late October. If I had to bet I would double down on early November.

Anyone - Is it true the 2010 jetta wagen will have the front end of the new golf?

Hatchback owners - question here from a never-had-a-hatch before: Is the versitility of the hatch more convenient than a sedan with a folding back seat? Lets hear some real life stories. I'm fired up about this golf. I have so many questions but I'll try and pace myself here. ha
    Yes, the Golf and the Sportwagen will share the same front end/nose. Here's what it looks like: http://www.goodcleantech.com/2010_Volkswagen_Jetta_SportWagen.jpg
    Oh I like that. Much better than the Audi snout look.
    Check this link for really comprehensive info on specs and comparison between 2009 and 2010 models: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/09_10_TDIdifferences.htm
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    TDI Models get full iPod integration standard plus the new Premium VIII radio.
  • Looks like 2009 pricing to me?
    Looks like veedub mistakenly uploaded the pricing to their server on 8/22 and then took note of it and removed it yesterday. here's what it showed yesterday if anyone is interested:

Base price for a 2 door Golf TDI is $21,990 in the US. Add $700 destination (mandatory).
    Add $600 for the 4 door Golf
    $600 for the HID xenon headlights w/AFS(highly recommended, option code p83).
    $1750 for RNS 510 navigation system. (option code p71)
    $1000 for the sunroof. (option code 3fe)
    $225 Cold weather package - heated seats/windshield washer nozzles. (option codew79)
    $400 for 300w Dynaudio excite high stereo. (option code 9ve)
    $350 rear lower side airbags (avail. only on 4 door, head rear curtain airbags standard)
    Bluetooth standard on US Golf TDI, otherwise $275 for bluetooth option code 9w2
    $1100 DSG transmission
  • Looks like mine will cost 24515 + t,t,t (msrp)

4door
    dest
    HIDs
    cwp
    stereo

Can't wait to drive one. Rides smoother, lower cabin noise, more attractive front end...
    i got mine at dealer invoice +$850 but I'll probably have to wait forever for it to arrive. can't wait. i agree on the ride, noise and front end. no comparison. i hate how hybrids usually look like hybrids, not "real" cars ;)
  • marlyece - you already ordered? what is dealer invoice on yours? Color - options - delear used - etc. or email me
    the strange thing is that i'm not certain what dealer invoice will be. on the sportwagens msrp was about 1600 over dealer invoice so i'm hoping to save at least 5-600. also this dealership told me it might not show up until the end of february which seems really long. maybe they're just being honest. they seemed pretty good and were one of the few dealerships who would negotiate below msrp.
  • ncskibumncskibum Posts: 42
    They changed the diesel engines in 1998 and run those until 2002. The older engine only had about 80 hp, in 98 it increased to 90. The PD in 2002 jumped to 100 hp. The new engines have been in use in Europe since 2006 and get 140 hp.

As for the question on curb weight. The sedan and wagen are the same length, so you push the trunk up and make it roof panel. Back door weighs hardly anything. I have to assume that the quoted weights are without sunroof because the wagen sunroof is at least twice as large as the sedan. Plus you need extra reinforcement to protect you in a rollover.
  • What is the difference in the styling of the Euro VW GTD and the new 2010 Golf TDI coming to America? I don't see much cosmetic differences other than just a few touches on the front fascia. Anyone know? I can't tell them apart hardly.
    It looks the same to me as the Golf GTD. I think the only difference is engine programming and maybe jets. We get the detuned version to please the wonks in California.

http://www.vw.com/upcomingcars/2010golf/en/us/
This discussion has been closed.