Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic (coupe/hatchback)

Comments

• Thanks for informing me about that... ill be sure to take what you said into account and not race on the road.
  • YOU ALL TRY TO RACE THE RACE MASTER!!!! I DRIVE A POWERFUL 1988 CRX AND IT IS ALL STOCK!! THIS PIECE OF CRAP WILL BLOW ALL YOUR CARS AWAY. JUST TRY ME, I LIVE AT 123 FAKE ST. COME IF YOU WANT TO LOSE, COME IF YOU WANT TO WIN, BUT YOU WILL BE DISSAPOINTED CUZ I AM THE FASTEST RACER ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! GLOVIN
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    *every* time I get in my Civic (2000 DX 5 speed hatch) & turn on the A/C (lots) I turn the temp control switch just off the coldest setting figuring a little better fuel economy less wear & tear on the compressor etc and the owners manual is worded like that anyway people say nope the compressor is on or off there is no thermostat and that stands to reason this is a Civic there is no max A/C setting or auto climate control there's an A/C switch (on or off) temp and fan control that's it I got home from the airport and asked a neighbor who owns a small fleet of trucks, asked him before I even got the question out of my mouth he was shaking his head (that Jason is correct the car doesn't have the smarts to cycle the compressor as needed) when you answer and hope that you do say turn that baby as cold as it will go cause I will. Rob in Houston
  • hey everyone.. i need some help. I have a problem i have a 1992 honda civic cx hatchback. I just bought a new emergency brake handle and i cant seem to get the old one off. I have a manual about all the parts and how to remove them but it says there is a screw to remove the handle, when i can clearly see there is not. If anyone could help me by telling me how to do this task i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    from Edmunds' Generations section: A Honda Civic History, by John DiPietro. Hope you enjoy!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • dxeerdxeer Posts: 2
    does anybody know exactly what honda did different to the '92-'95 civic VX models engine vs the DX engine? VX gets about 15 more miles/gal than the DX.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    used the VTEC-E engine that the later gas-sipper HX coupes used, if that helps at all.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• dxeerdxeer Posts: 2
    nippononly would I be able to do any mods to my DX engine to get the mileage up like the VX?
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    The VX was more than just engine mods to get the higher mileage. I'll try to list as much as I can remember:

1) VTEC engine was tuned for higher mileage. Mag reviews at the time complained of a too abrupt transition to VTEC caused by this tuning.

2) Wheels where cast aluminum with 70 series radials mounted(narrower and lighter than the steel wheels on CX or DX).

3) Front end had a deep air dam reducing lift and increasing mileage at highway speeds.
    I don't remember what differentiated the VTEC from the VTEC-E, but I do remember it was not something you could mod on the engine - you needed to have the entire head and intake system of the VTEC-E car.

Way too expensive to contemplate now - you can still buy an HX, so that is the way to get your hands on this engine nowadays.

Those VX/HX-only alloys looked really nice though - I have seen a DX here and there over the years that bought those particular alloys for appearance's sake. They are narrower, but also lighter, and reducing unsprung weight always helps to increase fuel economy....

• the car also had weight-saving upholstry that was pretty thin. i want to say there was a difference in the exhaust, too.
    to be "lean-burn" - this probably had a lot to do with the engine management too.

• Just wondering if anyone in here knows how to or knows where I can find info on replacing the rear window. The old one got busted out, I picked up a new used one from a Honda Parts yard, doesn't look like it would be that difficult but I owuld rather follow some sort of instruction before I make what may be an easy job a lot harder =)
    You may also to post (copy/paste) your question in our Honda Civic Owners - Service & Repair Issues discussion. Someone there may have some helpful feedback. Good luck.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • cyickcyick Posts: 1
    Ok guys. I recently (as in today) just bought a 91 Honda civic hatchback,. Now what i am wondering about is what kind of problems I should be aware of or special little things on how to handle this car a little bit easier. I am totally stupid when it comes to cars so i may need your help quite a bit!
    Kel
    and congrats on your Honda Civic purchase.

You said: "Now what i am wondering about is what kind of problems I should be aware of or special little things on how to handle this car a little bit easier."

To start, you can look up recommended service schedules, recalls, and technical service bulletins for your 91 Civic in Edmunds Maintenance Guide. Also, you'll find valuable information on vehicles/driving in Edmunds' Ownership Section? Scroll down the page to see their Tips & Advice articles.

Others here may have more to add. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your ownership experience. ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Taking care of my sick GF and her sick Civic this week, and have a number of little issues I'm trying to research:

Reading the forum with interest about the delay in starting with a 1/3 of a tank or lower, glad my GF's '99 wasn't the only one! Anybody ever find out a reason?

On a fuel related note, her car wasn't started for a week, so the battery which was already week 9and orginal) finally gave up. Replaced it but the car still wasn't happy. A couple of bottles of dry gas along with 5 gallons from a can and the car started right up. Related to the delayed starting perhaps???

The car was running fine, took in on the highway for a good 25 minutes or so to warm everything up and blow out the cobwebs. Noticed the check engine light was on. Figure it was becuase the battery was disconnected, any idea how long it will take for the code to clear? Is there anyway to check the codes without a scan tool? I'm able to check mine by just doing an on/off sequence with the ignition.

Noticed the beginnings of a slight shudder in the brake pedal, read with interest the Civic is known for some pretty wimpy brake rotors. Any direct replacement rotors to recommend?

Tires were rotated a while ago, and a creaking noise has appeared in the front right suspension area. Thinking bumpstop or material used to quell noise shifted/moved when the car was on the lift. Anybody else have this problem and know what exactly is causing the problem? Wondering if they cranked the lug nuts down too much, leading to the rotors starting to warp.

Well, I think that's all for now, tehe. Thanks for any and all advice!

-B
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    Check plugs? How about running a bottle of injector cleaner at the next fuel stop. I always do with an oil change.

For starts on first crank, turn the key and wait until the check engine light goes off. Then crank away. Supossedly this pressurizes the fuel system. My hatch always starts on the first try after I wait.

Codes? Look here - http://jdmfan.com/index.php?information=dtc

There is a TSB for the creaking noise. I have the problem to but, it doesn't happen enough that I care. I am curious what it is though.

Buy a Helm Manual, it is a DIY Bible.
  • rivertownrivertown Posts: 928
    Not much help from me, but . . .

The post suggesting waiting for the fuel pump to initialize when starting seems very right to me.

I don't expect more than about three years on a new car battery, so it makes sense to me that GF's needed replacement.

Dunno about the brake/tire/suspension issues.
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Thanks for the information. Was going to grab a bottle of techron yesterday, but didn't make it to the stores in time.

Thanks for the link to the codes and how to get them without a scan tool!

-B
This discussion has been closed.