Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Catalytic Converter and Fuel Filter

manyqxmanyqx Member Posts: 9
edited April 2014 in Ford
Hi,
friends of ours have a 2005 FS Limited ,85.000miles, and it recently broke down. Diagnosis: one of the three catalytic converters (c.c.) is defective. Since it takes the dealership 2 months to get a replacement the mechanic made a hole in the c.c.(?) to tide them over until then.
My qx: Is it really that difficult to get a replacement c.c. that it takes 2+ months?
Also, they had their check engine light on for a long time, when they brought it to the dealership they were told it was nothing but in hindsight (bringing it to an independent mechanic) learned that a seal had "fallen off".
2nd qx: Could replacing the seal earlier have prevented the broken c.c.?
My 3rd qx: Our friends were also told that it is impossible to get replacement fuel filters for the FS, they are not available anymore since Ford stopped manufactoring FS and Taurus. Is this true??
Thanks for your input,
manyqx

Comments

• 01taurussel01taurussel Member Posts: 43
    Hi,
    friends of ours have a 2005 FS Limited ,85.000miles, and it recently broke down. Diagnosis: one of the three catalytic converters (c.c.) is defective. Since it takes the dealership 2 months to get a replacement the mechanic made a hole in the c.c.(?) to tide them over until then.
    My qx: Is it really that difficult to get a replacement c.c. that it takes 2+ months?
    (Check another dealership. Check rockauto.com as well - they sell just about another under the sun, and do a good job from what I've read on the Internet. I don't know if there are non-Ford converters yet)

Also, they had their check engine light on for a long time, when they brought it to the dealership they were told it was nothing but in hindsight (bringing it to an independent mechanic) learned that a seal had "fallen off".
    2nd qx: Could replacing the seal earlier have prevented the broken c.c.? (I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know. I would be ticked at the dealership for saying nothing was wrong with it, but have the seal had fallen off - I'd try to get my money back!)
    My 3rd qx: Our friends were also told that it is impossible to get replacement fuel filters for the FS, they are not available anymore since Ford stopped manufactoring FS and Taurus. Is this true?? (No, that is not right. Ford still makes the Taurus, but not the Five Hundred and parts will be available for a minimum, by law, 7 years after the car is discontinued. You can get fuel filters wherever you'd like - Firestone, Ford dealership, AutoZone. The car will be in the bone yard before you will need to worry about that :)

Good luck to your friends!
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    I'd recommend just calling or stopping by an Autozone or Pep Boys or Checker auto parts store and ask them about the availability of specific parts, such as catalytic convertors. I know the fuel filter used on the Freestyle is used on many other kinds of makes/models of vehicles out there, so no problem getting a fuel filter.
This discussion has been closed.