Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander

Comments

• Absolutely right about Tesla ( I admit they completely slipped my mind when I posted ) Apparently they have a good product but price is somewhere on the far side of $100,000.

I have read quite a bit about the MIEV being tested in world markets. They started in Japan about two years ago and in California sometime last summer so naturally they want to get a realistic picture of the battery capabilities. I don't know if the Nissan prototype ( I think it's a Cube ) has had as much drive-time as the MIEV but I doubt they would put it up for sale unless they were pretty confident of its performance. There's some outfit with another EV from Denmark also hanging out in Oregon right now. Pretty sure their products name is "The Think".

Don't know what the product plans for the Mitsubishi plant in Illinois are but I know they fought pretty hard the last couple of years to hold onto it. Only production plant in North America they have so I think it would make sense to build some updated models there, to avoid import tariffs at the very least. I'm sure that the North American Dealers would like to keep prices as low and competitive as possible. In fact, I recently read somewhere that Nissan was considering building their EV at their plant in Smyrna Tennessee. Building products in the same country where you plan to sell them might be the ultimate cliche in advertising gimmicks, but it sure works.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    enjoying the discussion on the 2010 Mitsubishi i-MiEV on here. I own a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and it is bar none the coolest and funnest car I have owned. The bodystyle of the '08 Lancer GTS and the 1965 Ford Mustang are my two favorite car bodystyles of all time, any era and timeframe. The car just rocks.

I also had a change of thinking direction about a year and a half ago. I want an all-electric car, and I see no reason why Mitsubishi shouldn't get my business. I have seen one from a collaboration of two European Company's, called Pininfarina-Bollore, called the BlueCar, that looks interesting. They use a Lithium Metal Polymer battery, claim that test mules have gone 120,000 km's with no problems and no maintenance. The car goes 85 mph top speed(electronically-limited) and has a range of 153 miles. Takes approximately 8 hours to charge up and, of course, P-B is offering a "quick-charge" unit that will charge your BlueCar back up to 80% capacity in about a half hour. I don't have a definite price, but the car will cost somewhere in the $24,000 area. Pininfarina-Bollore is sending some BlueCars to the U.S. in 2009 to three test markets, one being Los Angeles. The main real shipments of this car will come to America in 2010. P-F is serious about this, in claiming that the 2010 BlueCar is not a concept but a true production car. Will it pass all of the safety/crash tests, though? A real question to ponder, but I would love to head the 558 miles west of me here in SE Arizona and go to the L.A. test sampling. I am interested in the car.

Further, to say I am interested in a Chinese car might ruffle some feathers. But I am! :P It is made by BYD(which stands for Build Your Dreams) and is named the e6. It is a crossover that seats 7, goes 99 mph, 0-60 in 8 seconds, weighs around 4,400 pounds, and, here's the pull-point for me, it has a range of 249 miles. With BYD it is Fe(Iron)batteries. I did read earlier today that BYD is deciding to work with VW on knowledge-sharing on these battery systems. I don't know what that might mean regarding BYD and any particular trouble they may be having inegrating their batteries in to their automobiles, but it must mean something. BYD has promised to bring the BYD to the U.S. in 2010 as a 2011 model. Lookit here, we're already up to just about May of 2009, that time will move very quickly.

The 2011 BYD e6 is going to cost around $28,000 in USD, but both it and the 2010 Pininfarina-Bollore BlueCar's are subject to BO's "green car" rebates of $7,500. So we'll have to stay tuned as far as pricing goes. And another possible sticking point with me are Warranties(or lack thereof)supporting these new all-electrics.

That is something that Mitsu as well as Pininfarina-Bollore and BYD, Think!, etc., are all going to be fighting. The public is not going to immediately embrace this new technology. But large kudos go to Mitsubishi for realizing that hybrids are not the answer for our automotive futures. Hybrids just seem to me to be an expensive alternative to "crutching" along ICE vehicles.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• elgatolocoelgatoloco Posts: 92
    While I think that straight-up EV's might eventually rule the roost it would be quite awhile before medium and large vehicles were as capable as the lightweight versions like the MiEV.

I'd like to see Mitsubishi developing plug-in hybrid technology as well. That type of system would really work well on the Lancers, Outlanders, Pajero's etc..
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    yep, if it was Mitsubishi developing the hybrid I would be all eyes and ears. But Mitsubishi wants to head in the all-EV direction, for now. I would think they are still in the development stage overall for "green" vehicles. Things could change as far as propulsion methods quite a bit in the next couple a years, huh? I think it's a good direction to get off of ICE-driven vehicles ASAP.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 121
    Actually, Mitsubishi will be selling a plug-in hybrid electric. Unfortunately don't expect it before 2012... :sick:
    However, watch out for a concept that will showcase their plug-in hybrid technology this fall at the Tokyo Motor Show. Rumors have it, that it will be based on the Concept cX from a few years back.

BTW, we're getting a bit off topic here... :P
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    Mitsubishi Japan also built Outlanders for the European market. Citroen and Peugeot modifies the nose of the Outlander and add Diesel engines.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Although the nose of the 4007 is not exactly of the 2010 Outlander it has a resemblance.
  • chelentanochelentano Posts: 634
    Yea, I've seen these in Paris. They look real nice
    Does someone have any idea/information when this 2010 Outlander will be sold in the US?
    November-December 2010
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    Any update on a target release date for the '10? Nov-Dec '09 is a bit far off for me (let alone Nov-Dec '10 as posted). I'm getting into the market for a new car now, and my wife & I both like the '09 Outlander XLS. But with the potential for more engine power (better low end torque would be nice) and better fuel economy, I would prefer the '10 to the '09. I can handle the styling and my wife probably could.
  • psychogunpsychogun Posts: 121
    chelentano may have made a small typo. He probably meant Nov-Dec '09.
    I would say that October '09 would be the very earliest.
    yes, typo. Nov-Dec 09 prediction is based on last year's new Outlander model availability and I think it's as late as it gets for 2010 model, but in theory could be anytime sooner. Look, the new MB GLK and Lexus RX 2010 are already available since February - March.
    Yeah, the whole model year designation is getting fuzzier every year. Not that "there outta be a law" but it would be nice if automakers would grant the .5 designation to new/updated models released in the first half of the year. The MB & RX you cited, for instance, really ought to be 2009.5 models with the 2010 models to be released no earlier than July '09. After all, if the new model year cycle keeps running at under 12 months, pretty soon we'll be skipping a year and the 2013 models will be released in 2011.

Speaking of, I've seen a few GLKs on the road and they really look sharp. Almost makes me want to go Euro for my next ride. But then I go to price one ..

Anyway, back to the Outlander. Thanks for the feedback. I'll show the pics of the revised model to my wife & see if she wants to wait. I'm borderline and think that while I really like the Lancer look I'm not 100% sure how well it's translating into the Outlander. But the idea of better power & fuel efficiency and the other updates has me wanting to wait.

For comparison purposes, we'll be test driving a Santa Fe later today. It's one of the few alternatives we've found that hit our price and comfort range.
    Hi,
    May I ask you to confirm the launch date of the new Outlander with the new nose and the S-AWD system? Edmunds.com says that this new Outlander will be in the USA for sale next year. However a Mitsubishi dealer in California told me that he could get me the new Outlander in October/November this year. Who are right, Edmunds or you and the dealer? I have already sold my previous 2008 Outlander to my son, so now I am in the market to buy a new AWD vehicle.
    A quick update on my last post: My wife didn't care for the revised looks of the new Outlander so if we go that route it'll be an '09 and not a '10. I'm mildly disappointed as I'd like the '10's improvements but can live with the '09. I do prefer the '09's style but could have easily lived with the '10's looks as well.

We drive the Santa Fe yesterday and it was fine. Not inspiring but fine. I'd actually like to see the Hyundai 3.3V6 in the Outlander; it did have a better off-the-line response (obviously more low-end torque). But beyond that the drive was boring. The suspension was OK but the Outie seemed to handle poor road surfaces better. The interior was clean but bland. For some reason the cupholders were more noticeable than I would care for. Feature-wise, it looked like the SF has more cargo area but the Outlander uses it better; i.e. fold-flat seats and the split hatch for long, flat items. SF 2nd row seats recline but do not move fore/aft. The Outlander also has more gadgets :) and the killer RF stereo.

Also, a quick kudos to the Hyundai dealer for, like the Mitsu dealer, being no-pressure and reasonable to work with. The sales guy had us drive their test pattern v. just letting me go where I wanted (which the Mitsu guy did) but that's the only deterrent. And Hyundai doesn't print brochures anymore which, while I can applaud the effort for eco reasons, I'd rather have it to use while comparing models.

In the end I'm rating the Outlander an 85 of 100 and the SF a 72. The Outlander is our current benchmark against which we'll put any other vehicles we test drive.
    Sorry, my date is just a prediction/guess based on previous year, but your dealer's date sounds right.
    Yes, Santa Fe's engine is little more powerful, but the SF is little heavier too, therefor it's not quicker since power-to-weight ratio is probably a wash. But were Outie wins in driving department is smoother 6-speed tranny (with Idle Neutral Logic and paddle shifter toy), exciting sharp handling, better 3-mode AWD (even further improved S-AWC in 2010 model), 19-inch OZ Racing wheels and large Brembo brakes. Santa Fe can't beat that.

Also the Outlander has much better reliability rating according CR:
    http://s215240594.onlinehome.us/CR2008_smallsuv.gif

Santa Fe:
    http://s215240594.onlinehome.us/CR2008_midsizesuv.gif
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    You're impression of the Santa Fe is similar to mine. A competent, but uninspiring vehicle. My sister in law has a Santa Fe Limited, and it is nice, but I still prefer my Outlander. One thing the Hyundai dealer by me did, is find only top-of-the-line vehicles to test drive. We were looking for a small sedan last year, and drove base 4 cyl. Accord, Galant, and Fusion. All the Hyundai dealer had to drive was a loaded Limited V6. It fooled my wife, she thought it was much nicer. "Yeah, but." kinda apples to oranges.

I'm kinda warming to the new front end on the Outlander, but I'm keeping my '07 for a long time.
    Will all the Outlander trims (e.g. SE, XLS, etc) have the new nose or just the 2010 Outlander GT?