Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander

Comments

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    Batman - Another pair of excellent posts. Thanks.

You mentioned it feeling like power was lagging. Could that be related to the 15K foot altitude (i.e. less oxygen in the air) or was that experienced at lower altitudes as well? I'd also suggest inspecting the air filter and other things that might lead to a power loss (I know, you've probably already thought of that). Are you able to buy premium gas for it?

My GT has a rather sedate 6300 miles on it at the moment. As six months had elapsed since purchasing it I did take it in for an oil change & tire rotation last week. I'm averaging 21.2MPG lifetime with a high of 24.1 and a low of 17.3 on mostly midgrade gas.
  • leo67leo67 Posts: 17
    Batman...I had the same issue,, mine were at 50 cold,, thought it was bit rough, but much better now after I lowered them to 35...besides this does anyone else have any complaints,, I got the base XLS, so far 150 miles on her and already took it back for noises (I too am paranoid with noises, but by right it's not thier money that got me this car)

noise #1 dull thumping engine noise at idle sounds like a bearing knock (best way I can describe it) doesn't make the noise while cold only at operating temps....
    took it in they said it's normal,, made them pull out another v6, to prove to me that they all do it, guess what this one didn't, I sure didn't hear anything and we let run till it got to it's operating temps..but the tech says it's there very faint and just not as loud.. techs recommendation "drive it it should quiet down at around 2K and plus you'll have the radio on anyway" ( This supposedly is the TOP tech,,what a load of S**T)
    guess I'll be dialing that dispute number that came with the owners manual

#2 at highway speed I get a kazoo noise above and behind me, alot worse with cross winds... service managers advice point the antenna down, "I think that's where it's coming from" what a freakin joke... I personally think it's coming from that plastic trim in the rear between the roof and the spoiler,,just don't have the time right now to test it

#3 driver window sqeeks alot when rolled down a couple of inches, every bump or little imperfection gets the squeek on.... service manager claims Mitsu has a TSB for this noise "it's 2 bolts in the regulator / track that back out just needs to be tightened" ..... I doubt it, but we'll see
    honestly I don't trust these guys to wash my car, let alone rip into the door panel
    and I have 6 free oil changes with them, umm no thanks I'll do it myself...just from this experience my confidence in that dealer and service dept. has gone south

I'm really concerned with that engine noise... anyone else experience this?
    According to my tracking spreadsheet I've had my '10 Outlander GT for 194 days. Here's a brief rundown of the past 6 months:

Economy & Operating costs:
    - Early on I burned one or two tanks of Premium, one of Regular, and have basically been using midgrade gas since. Unless something changes it'll be midgrade from here on out.
    - MPG: Lowest: 17.3 (in February so cold + winter blend gas). Highest: 24.1 (late April). Lifetime average: 21.2 and creeping up slowly.
    - Driving is predominantly city/suburban but probably 25 or so percent is highway at speeds from 60-80MPH.
    - Repairs: none.
    - Maintenance: Free oil change @ 1K, but I went with the 6 month reminder and had it changed a couple of weeks ago. Did a tire rotation at the same time.
    - Other costs: I opted for a 2 year Sirius subscription and purchased WeatherTech floor liners for the front seats. The WT liners are for winter only; I'm using the factory carpeted mats for summer.

HVAC:
    - Now that we're in the hot season I'm using the AC more. It's way stronger than my old Galant's AC and does a much better job of bringing the temp down fast.
    - I do have black leather, though, so I'm a little more conscious about parking so that the windshield is not directly facing the sun.
    - The auto climate control has been smart. When the temps were cold it was wise enough to not crank the fan above a low speed until the engine is at least starting to warm up.

Tech:
    - I'm appreciating the rain sensing wipers more. They aren't perfect but are just fine in about 97% of situations where there's water on the windshield. I leave them on all the time. Makes me wish they had it for the rear wiper.
    - The RF stereo continues to deliver solid performance. The hard drive for music storage is a godsend. I've got over 50 CDs ripped to it and it simply rocks. The UI could use a little improvement, like better search capability, but overall it's a solid 9 out of 10.
    - Setting 0 on the load leveling headlights is supposed to be 'normal' but I've found it can intrude into the passenger space of cars in front of me so I leave it at 1. They still throw plenty of light far ahead and it doesn't hit the rear view mirrors of the cars in front of me. The HIDs are bright enough that I see little need for hi-beams.
    - FAST keyless entry works as advertised. I never take the keys out of my pocket. It's a simple thing, really, but it just makes things easier & smoother.
    - The back up camera makes parking lot maneuvers simple. It isn't panoramic so you still have to look to the sides for traffic & pedestrians but I don't thin k I'll ever be at risk of backing into another vehicle or obstruction.

Ride & comfort:
    - There have been a few times where the 3rd row seats have been handy. I wouldn't subject an adult to it for a long trip but for a short jaunt it's perfectly fine. For the most part I leave it folded flat as I tend to haul more cargo than humans.
    - Seating remains comfortable. Entry & exit doesn't require Cirque du Soliel skills. My father in law appreciates the grab handle (he walks with a cane and has trouble entering most vehicles).
    - In one week I did over 1000 miles of highway driving and it was never fatiguing.
    - I find I mostly use the pop-out cup holder that's in the front-left of the dash v. the center console.
    - The dual glovebox and other storage cubbies mean it's always easy to find a place for my stuff.

NVH:
    - There's a little wind noise at the driver's A pillar but not so much that it's distracting.
    - The third row can squeak just a little over sharp bumps. This is muted with the cargo mat in place and goes away altogether with, say, 40+ pounds of cargo sitting on top.
    - Engine & trans are smooth & quiet.
    - I could do with a little less tire noise, but again it's only noticeable if you're listening for it or are on bad roads.

Cargo:
    - I mentioned in another thread that I had over 800 pounds of dirt & gravel in it with no problems. Max load is 1175 pounds so I left some cushion after adding cargo + my weight.
    - I've had passengers + luggage in for trips to the airport and so far room has been sufficient where luggage either isn't stacked at all or is stacked but still doesn't rise above the second row seatback.

Overall:
    It may sound like I don't like certain things about the car but those are really just nitpicking. The flaws are minor and don't really detract from my overall enjoyment. It's been a fun ride so far and I'm very happy with my decision to buy the GT. I'm solidly hitting and even slightly exceeding EPA economy so no complaints there.

If I had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    enjoyed your '10 Outlander GT report and it sounds like you're digging it just fine. I am loving our '08 Mitsubushi Lancer GTS and I'm glad I didn't trade it in on a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi.

I'm even getting 31 mpg in the city in this pup! Great compact car from Mitsubishi!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Considering where you live and your planned move to Nevada I'm thinking the Kizashi might not be for you: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2010/06/2010-suzuki-kizashi-still-waiting-- to-cool-down.html Weak or marginal AC wouldn't be something I could live with in the desert southwest.

My wife likes the Lancer. It and the upcoming Chevy Cruze are top contenders for her next car though I'll get her to try the Outlander Sport as well. She prefers compacts and currently drives an '01 Elantra with 74K miles. She really likes it that the Lancer & Cruze have knee airbags as some years before we met she was in an accident where they would have reduced injuries.
  • unhappy40unhappy40 Posts: 1
    I made a very serious error in purchasing a 2010 Outlander XLS 4 weeks ago. It is sitting dead in my garage right now. Emergency Roadside Assistance is going to have to come tow it to "the nearest dealership", which is not where I purchased it, but I really don't care. The key fobs don't work, the manual key doesn't work - the car is completely stone dead at 4 WEEKS of age!!

I am now stuck with what appears to be a LEMON so buyers beware!! I have a friend that purchased a Hyundai at the same time & he is having NO problems. I have a friend that bought a Kia Sorento 4 years ago and has had ZERO problems. I have a GMC Yukon (2004) with which I have had ZERO problems.

Buyers beware DO NOY buy a Mitsubishi Outlander........
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    One issue with the car and it's a lemon and no one should ever buy one?
    Nobody on these forums has had a similar problem.

You didn't leave the lights or interior light on did you? Let us know what the problem was. :confuse:
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 390
    Obviously you've never heard of lemon laws. (briefly: the company has a few attempts to make the car right or you get your money back). It can happen to any kind of car, the ones you mentioned included, and like the previous poster said you seem to be the exception on here for something so bad. (and yes we'd like to know what they find). Have no fear they will fix it or you get your money back.
    Sounds like, as toomanyfumes inferred, your battery died. Although you're inconvenienced and frustrated, this shouldn't be a major problem to get past. Considering the age of the car, unless there's evidence that you ran the battery down you should get a free replacement.

When my wife bought her Elantra back in '01, one of the OEM Michelin tires was defective and would go flat after it heated up, which only occurred at highway speeds. It was very frustrating and happened several times before we were able to isolate the cause of the problem. When tested for leaks the tires would always be fine as the tests never involve running the tire hot. Finally, we got Michelin - no help at all from the dealer - to replace the tire. We were both really frustrated as we'd bought our first Hyundai in part for the superior warranty coverage only to have the dealer tell us they wouldn't do anything about the tire. Even if they didn't service tires specifically, as a good will gesture they could have swapped it for another tire from another car and then returned the bad one to Hyundai for replacement at no cost to them but they did nothing.

And Michelin themselves denied coverage at first. We had to ride them hard just to get 50% coverage on the replacement tire. We did have some help, though not a ton, from the Michelin dealer. We were only made whole after the tire was returned to Michelin for inspection. They ultimately agreed the tire was defective and finally, 3 or 4 months later, we got reimbursed for the other 50% of the cost.

It took her a little while to get over the hard feelings that fault generated but since then she's always said she loves her little car.

Also, I'll add that no car is perfect. They have thousands and thousands of parts; it's just too easy for a bad connection to be made or for a defective part to occasionally slip past QC. What matter now is how you're treated. Mitsu/the dealer should "make you whole" by fixing the problem quickly and, if warranted, at no cost. Dealership experiences definitely vary but I've not had issues where I bought/service mine.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
    edited June 2010
    definitely, your dealer should pony up and get this one solved for you or the negative impact from the whole thing will be destructive to you and them (your dealer).

Mitsu/the dealer should "make you whole" by fixing the problem quickly and, if warranted, at no cost. Dealership experiences definitely vary but I've not had issues where I bought/service mine.

Believe it or not these types of things happen all the time to all kinds of car buyers buying all kinds of cars. I hope you get your car fixed in a timely manner to your satisfaction, unhappy40.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2010/06/2010-mitsubishi-outlander-gt-intro- duction.html

Lots of negative comments by people who have obviously never sat in, let alone driven an Outlander or a recent Mitsu.
    yuk! Reading that blog is like biting your nails down ta the quick and drawing blood. Lacking knowledge and eyesight is how I would describe those bloggers toward the new 2010 Outlander GT being added to the Edmund's test-fleet.

I can always understand how people can like or dislike styling, but the more knowledgeable will generally reserve judgment for how a car looks in person v. pictures. I wasn't entirely sold on the new nose until I saw it in person, though I admit I'd have gone that way anyway since the '10 had so many upgrades over the '09. And some call the dash bland, but I see it as clean, uncluttered, and thoughtful. Compare to Honda instrument panels that have too many buttons everywhere or the Infiniti EX which IMO was an ergonomic mess from a controls standpoint.

What I find so hard to believe is how the comments on the IL blog are so different than in the Carspace forums. Comments here are, for the most part, thought out and are made to represent a point of view. Trolls and abject haters are relatively few & far between. Comments on IL seem to be polar opposites, with people just spouting options about things for which there is empirical data. And they seem passionate in their likes and dislikes, which would be fine if they would keep an open mind. But it's obvious that their minds are not open and even positive reporting by Edmunds, other press, and the Pope wouldn't change their minds. :confuse:
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    I am still in Peru preparing my return to the USA without the GT. However during this time I was able to notice a number of symptoms which may indicate that the torturous adventure to the South Pole has indeed affected the GT.

(1)- From Salta (Argentina) during my way to Peru I noticed that the warning light “ENGINE SERVICE SOON” flashed for a few seconds before disappearing. Because I didn’t reset the MMCS and the “INFO” button (after I changed the oil filter, air cleaner filter, and engine oil) I thought (wrongly) that that was the cause of the warning and waited until I reached Trujillo (Peru) to reset the instrumentation warning. The result was that now the warning light “ENGINE SERVICE SOON” is on permanently.

(2)- I also noted (perceived) a loss of engine power that I blamed to the use of 95 gasolines instead of 97/98 octane gasoline. However after reading the 2010 Service Manual CD it appears that the “ENGINE SERVICE SOON (ESS)” warning light flashes when there is a malfunction on the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve). When this malfunction appears the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) value is: P0401 according to the manual. Nevertheless there are more than 50 malfunctions that can activate (flashing) the “ESS) for few seconds.

(3)- When the engine is switched ON for the first time and reversing there is a scratching noise from the act of engaging the reverse spot that prone me to disengage the reverse position to parking position and engage again the reverse spot. When I do these actions the cracking noise disappears.

(4)- When the engine is switched ON for the first time it appears that the engine hesitates by having irregular engine noise. Only when I pressed on the acceleration pedal (a little bit) the engine regains its normal sound. This phenomenon never happens before.

(5)- I took the GT to a local Mitsubishi garage to be told that the MUT-III scan machine (In order to find the DTC number) doesn’t function with an American Outlander. Can this be possible or is the dealer taking me for a ride?

In summary I may say that if there is a malfunction of something the MUT-III must find the problem when the warning light ESS is flashing for few seconds or the warning light ESS is permanently ON. When the scan machine doesn’t produce any DTC then the manual asks to replace the Combination Meter due to a fault of the light itself. All of these can be done, I think in the USA. What can I do now when I am not in the USA? If I continue to drive the GT will it screw up the whole car? Comments welcome
    vote with your pocketbook, man. As I've resisted the temptation to trade for a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi and just laid back and enjoyed my Mitsubishi Lancer ride, I've grown to appreciate Mitsubishi's work on most all of their rigs more.

And the '10 Mitsubishi Outlander is one of them. I love the nose but it's the whole thoughtful layout inside and the aggressive look outside that I like the best. It's the nose that does it with my Lancer and your Outlander. Man, that's one classic look and it's growing more cool to me with the passage of time.

We're at only 60,600 miles on our Lancer and we've had our 60,000 mile service done at the purchasing dealer in Phoenix. And here in Elko, NV, we're only popping miles on at about 500 miles in the first month. That is going to suit us just fine as we settle in to another area to live and work in. It will snow here big-time in the winter so that's something to think about for later.

Still have the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S Pinna's I bought in Dec. of '08 on the car. They've lasted 30,500 miles so far and they are starting to wear down a tad. May look at some new Pirelli's in Sept. or Oct.-have to see how these are wearing-or not wearing down first. There are a fair number of hills in this small city to be concerned about in the snow, too.

• authurdentauthurdent Posts: 82
    edited June 2010
    Man, batman, you're in a WHOLE other class of drivers! I think Mitsu ought to subsidize your service needs in exchanged for marketing.

As for your current situation, I'm a bit confused. If you are planning to "use up" the GT and return home without the car, then I guess you could just run it till it dies, unless you are concerned that doing so would effect sales value. But given the rate you go through vehicles (from what i understand), sales value doesn't seem to be a concern.

Only real problem would be having the GT leave you stranded. How close are you from completing your adventure? Can you count on a French fishing boat to rescue you from harm if things go wrong? (you might be too far removed from media to get this reference)

Best of luck!
  • ermal1ermal1 Posts: 19
    i am new at this forum and since i am thinking to by a new 2010 outlander i thought to read some more stuff about it and more i read more i love that car
    i tried to read some of the posts but it was impossible to read everything anyway i have a question i was trying to find out if outlander has the heated mirror and i found them only at ES trim and only with AWD what about but i cant find them in XLS trim and that is the trim i would like to purchase.... I would apreciate some help
    i read somewhere that scuff plates that write outlander are with led lights?

thank you

P.S outlander is a beautiful car,forester like driving a box.
    does this count in comparison?
    Go to http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/outlander/10/specs.do#engineering and look under Exterior Features. Look for "Heated outer door mirrors" and you'll see they're standard on all 4WD Outlanders in all trim levels (GT's only come with AWD).

The accessories, including scuff plates, are at http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/outlander/10/accessories.do?modelId=10003- 5. I'd suggest getting the rear bumper step protector at a minimum. The regular scuff plates don't cover quite as much as I'd prefer and I consider them a little more decorative than functional. See the pics. Still, they aren't that expensive so it is a nice way to tweak your ride.

Feel free to ask about any other features; we're glad to help.
  • After lots of research and reading through this forum (thanks guys for all the knowledge), I finally pulled the trigger on a fully loaded 2010 Outlander GT in black. I love this vehicle more and more everytime I see/drive it. You guys are right, it's much better in person.

After 10 years in a 2000 Galant ES, I decided I needed more room and utility in my ride since I live in Colorado and go to the mountains a lot. I also wanted something that drove like a car (lots of twisty roads in the Mtns). My Galant was a great car. 172K miles and no problems.

It came down to the GMC Terrain and the Outlander. I test drove the Terrain and it was nice, but was just missing something. I compared the Terrain to the Outlander in features and price and the Outlander won hands down.

I get remote start and clear bra installed on Thursday. For those of you who had questions on the roof rack. The GT doesn't come with roof rails, however Mitsubishi sells the crossbars that will fit on the GT. I'll wait til ski season to buy those.

It's a shame the Outlander doesn't get more notoriety, but I am glad that you don't see one every 5 seconds like a RAV-4.
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 390
    I don't quite get the purpose rear bumper scuff plate considering the flap fold tailgate.
    On my '07 the "bumper" is so narrow and is really more of a bump out part of the tailgate, rather than a bumper per-se so I can't see how you would stand on it (if I needed to get to the roof rear I'd open the hatch enough to release the flap fold tailgate and then stand on it)

Help me here. :confuse: