Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,695
    edited July 2010
    aye ta keep 'em guessing! We little people have to do what we can to get an edge.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,235
    Well, actually I am a fairly safe driver. Not slow, but safe. I pay attention to what's going on around me - other cars and what I can see of their drivers, pedestrians, weather & road conditions, etc. - and adjust my driving accordingly. I also factor in my car's condition. If I'm in a car with so-so handling (adjusted for road & weather conditions) I won't push as much as if the car can take whatever I can throw at it.

I also understand that AWD helps you get going on snow covered roads but it doesn't do a darned thing to help you stop.
    edited July 2010
    I started to become a safe driver while just 16. I was driving my Dad's '66 VW Fastback 4-speed on a Friday night. My friend was with me and it started snowing in Edmonds-Lynnwood, WA. I pulled off the road into a furniture store parking lot.

I started squireling around on that lot and slipping and sliding, having a ball! I remember saying to my friend "Watch this!"

I shifted up in to 2nd real fast and picked up speed, moving the wheel around and sliding. We started heading to the edge of the lot. Snow covered the landscaping rocks and shrubbery already.

I made the fatal mistake of hitting the brakes and the result was not a good one.

BAM! Up we went into a large boulder and SLAM down on to the side of the boulder we stopped. End of the line, padre.

Our heads had bumps from hitting the roof and my wrist started bleeding pretty bad. The VW's horn ellipse had busted off in the crash and sliced open my wrist.

My friend literally gave me the shirt off his back and tourniquetted my bleeding wrist with it. That guy should've gone in to medical work because he was quick and good at it!

His house was only about a half mile away and we left the '66 VW Fastback there out of commission.

Found out later the car was totalled and Dad had it fixed-the front end was badly damaged. Dad never scolded me for it but it left a gigantic impact on my attitude about safe driving.

I loved that V-Dub...it was the one I learned to drive stick on and I always took it to downtown Seattle and all aound the Sound. It was a very fun car to drive and we got it back.

But I never, ever drove crazy again. I basically drive like a Grandpa...I have fun in the '08 Lancer GTS, but no more out of control fun. Dad's method of getting through worked, only he didn't have to do anything! The example was set and I learned from it.

• I've been reading Edmund's/Inside Line's Long Term Road Test with interest. The air conditioner on their test car failed with barely 1k on the car. Immediately, all the naysaying mudslingers villified the Outlander in the comments. Well, my two month old GT's air conditioning just started blowing hot air and wheezing like an asthmatic in a smoke filled room - mileage 1,280. I am less than pleased. Though I will say that if I have to have a problem with a new car I just bought, I'd rather it be the air conditioner than something major. It's a one week annoyance in the July Philly heat. Nothing that can't be dealt with even with the black leather interior.

Has anyone else run into this problem? The dealership suggested leaving the fan control in the auto position at all times. Naturally, this means that the A/C is blasting pretty strongly when the car is started up. I am wondering whether this was a contributing factor.

I am also having trouble synching up my Sony MP3 player with the sound system. It shows the loading progress bar for 30-40 seconds and then times out. Other times it synchs up successfully. Not sure what the problem is. My daughters Ipod works no problem, so I am wondering if it is the Sony that is the problem. I have close to 4,000 songs on it so I wonder if too much data needs to be transferred.

Other than these two minor issues, I really like the car. It's fun to drive and not a dime a dozen like the Rav4 and CR-V. In the last three months, I have not seen another 2010 and less than ten of the older models.
  • ermal1ermal1 Posts: 19
    mine now has nearly 800 miles but no problems with the AC actually i always leave it at Auto position and just change the tmp lower or higher but i dont think that the problem with the ac is that you dont leave it in auto if it is that than it is stupid,my only concern is that when ti start working it makes a destinguish noise louder then the other cars i used to drive but i never thought it is a problem.
    and about the synch with my ipod works perfectly i like the voice command you can use to play your favorite songs.i havent tried anything else to connect with stereo.....

and same here in tampa i havent seen a 2010 gt yet execpt mine(sometime i think is this a good thing or a bad thing,i like to think is a good thing)only some old outlanders around here :D i am happy about that
  • No problems here either. I've had my GT for about 3 weeks now, but it was a demo and now have 5000 miles on it. AC works great and keep it on Auto. I haven't noticed any other problems either, but haven't had time to test all functionality yet.

The ipod integration works for me, but I'm a little disappointed as it takes a long time (relatively speaking) to sync up. My Alpine stereo that I had in my Galant sync'd right up no problem, but the Outlander takes a good 30-40 seconds to read all the data in. Not a big deal, but a little annoying (makes me want to listen to satellite more). I read that having too many playlists causes slow load times, but I removed all but 2 playlists and that didn't seem to help much. I also only have about 500 songs on it. I haven't tried reading directly from a usb drive or hard drive yet as I like my iTunes playlists.

Same here in Colorado Springs. I've seen 1 other 2010 Outlander on the road.
    7600+ miles on my GT. I run it in Auto for fan & vents and the AC is still blowing an arctic chill.

Re: Blasting strongly when the car is started. The fan should start slow & ramp up in speed after a few seconds. If the blast is bothersome to you, maybe moving the vent from Auto or face to defrost or feet might feel better. And there shouldn't be any issue with the AC compressor kicking more or less right away. Cars are designed to do that.

Re: MP3. Not all players are fully compatible. My phone streams fine via BlueTooth but not at all via USB. You might check for a firmware update to your player and maybe see if it has other modes to use when connecting via USB.
  • No, the blasting of the fans doesn't bother me. I'm just casting around for some reason why my A/C should fail so soon and wondered if the 0-60 start up of the A/C could cause the failure. I am inclined to agree that it would be pretty stupid for that to be the problem. I don't know. I'm just annoyed.

My phone streams fine as well, but will not import the playlists which is why I want the MP3 player to work properly. One would hope that a Sony would be compatible, but I will look into it.
  • kurly212kurly212 Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    I think I saw you post a comment about your A/C over at IL's blog post, and I commented there as well. The A/C in my 4-month-old 2010 Outie SE with less than 1700 miles crapped out yesterday afternoon. Took it in this morning and was told it's a compressor leak, and they'll get the replacement "next week."

God, I hope this isn't a lemon. I also have squeaky brakes that they are going to sand down for me. I had an '05 Outie that never gave me a bit of trouble and a '97 Mirage that had a few minor problems around 36,000 miles and then no problems until I totaled it at around 80,000. So, I'm going to have faith that this is just a blip.

Also, in regard to MP3 player loading issues: I gave up on using my (half-fullish) 120GB iPod Classic in the car because I could often reach my destination before it would load! And my iPhone doesn't hold enough music for my liking, so I ended up buying a 16GB Nano just for use in my Outie - I even got it in red to match the exterior! :P I have it about 2/3 full (with several playlists) and it takes about 90 seconds to load. I just wish that the system had some form of memory (I don't have the Nav system) so if I leave the iPod connected it doesn't have to load every time I start the car. Kind of annoying after a 10 minute errand.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Other than these two minor issues, I really like the car. It's fun to drive and not a dime a dozen like the Rav4 and CR-V. In the last three months, I have not seen another 2010 and less than ten of the older models

Minor issues? To me, having no A/C in July and no tunes is NOT "minor"..... :P
    Also, there is a reason why you don't see many other Outlanders - with Mitsu sellling about 4K vehicles TOTAL a month, it's no wonder. As well as concern over their long term viability in the US market, these are serious issues. I've been considering the Outlander but have my doubts....depreciation issue is another concern.
  • Since we have two other cars that have A/C and the Outlander's main purpose is to a 10 minute drive to the train station for work, no A/C is not a big deal. I don't need the A/C in the morning and the drive home is not fun but it is bareable. As to no tunes, the radio works fine and so does the Sirius radio.

From what I have read, they sell about 2,500 Outlanders a month. Mitsubishi is a large enough company that if they decide they want to be in the USA, they will be there. Cars are only one part of the picture for them. They are a much bigger car presence in other countries around the world.

Lastly, I intend to drive this car for 12-15 years, so the depreciation is not a big factor.
  • I took the car to the dealer yesterday to have the A/C repaired. The shaft seal on the compressor was leaking. Apparantly, this is a problem for all Outlanders built between February and May of 2010. There is a service advisory out on this that the dealerships know about. Of course, no compressor at the dealership so I have to bring the car back on Tuesday. When I called to make the original appointment last Monday, I specifically mentioned the compressor. I asked why they couldn't have had a replacement part ready. Service manager told me that they can't just do it on my say so.

However, if they know about the service advisory, know my car (purchased in May) was built in the time period covered by the advisory and know that I am aware that this is a potential problem with the Outlander, why wouldn't they have a part on hand to fix the problem. I am very unhappy about this poor customer service. I have to take two days off from work for a problem that could have been fixed in one day if they had been proactive rather than reactive.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    I'm hoping with Mitsu coming out with electric vehicles, They're going to want to keep a presence and dealer network in the U.S. I think we're going to see a lot of electric and alternative fuel cars on the road in the next decade.
    B&G - You might want to comment in the Outlander long-term blog at Inside Line about the TSB. People are really slamming the Outlander for having the AC go at such a tender young age. There's a lot of hate for the brand, which I can't understand, and IL's Outlander having it's AC fail has only fanned the flames.
  • kurly212kurly212 Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    I bought mine in late March, so I'm not sure if mine fits in that manufacturing date range. I'll check the sticker when I go out later. The service manager didn't mention anything about the service advisory, but he was strangely noncommittal when I mentioned that I saw online that at least two other people reported the same problem this month. So, is this a secret advisory? It's not listed in the TSBs on this site. In fact, there are no TSBs.

I agree, it would have been nice if I didn't have to sit around for almost 2 hours only to be told what I already knew the problem was (and what they knew when I called, if there's a service advisory), and then be given a vague "next week" as to when the part will be in. Then I can look forward to spending another 3 hours there unless I can get a ride to work. Unfortunately, the Mitsu dealership I used to deal with went to only Subarus and this "new" one doesn't do loaner cars and they don't have an organized shuttle service. :-/ I do feel bad that you have to take time off from work to deal with this. :( I'm fortunate enough to have a very flexible schedule that doesn't require me to use vacation time to deal with this.
    the following is truth. Although it won't help you with these nagging recent '10 Outlander problems.

From what I have read, they sell about 2,500 Outlanders a month. Mitsubishi is a large enough company that if they decide they want to be in the USA, they will be there. Cars are only one part of the picture for them. They are a much bigger car presence in other countries around the world.

Mitsubishi's CEO has stated that they're very excited about Mitsu's continued presence in the U.S. and their output of all-electric and hybrid rigs. I love my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. It has performed flawlessly and I really feel that overall Mitsu has it's engineering and production act together. Plus, IMHO of course, I feel they make the sexiest critters on the road, too. Yaa-hoooo! :shades:

• noeffectxnoeffectx Posts: 32
    I just purchased my 2010 Outlander GT this weekend July 24th. Two days later the A/C doesnt work.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I made sure the snow icon shows and the little orange light is also on.
    If you adjust the climate control down to 70 or so and make sure the fan is on or on Auto, you're not doing anything wrong. If it's blowing warm air you might have gotten hit with a bad AC unit as noted in prior posts. Call your dealer.
    Thanks Fushigi,

Can I bring my Outlander GT to any Mitsubishi dealer? I bought my vehicle in New Jersey (about 12miles from where I live) I wanted the White GT and theyre the only one who had White GT in stock. There is a Mitsubishi dealer about 2 miles from where I live, can I get my A/C service there and still get free warranty coverage?

Thanks
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    You can go to any US dealer. Before you go, check your owner manual on proper AC usage.
    As piast says, any dealer can perform warranty work. When no dealer is available, call Mitsu (number in the manual) and make arrangements. Non-dealers can do the work as well but there might be an issue for paying & getting reimbursed v. the dealer who bills Mitsu directly.

That said, you might get more courteous service at the dealer you bought from. It shouldn't matter, and may not in your case, but the service departments of some dealers are a little nicer to customers who also bought there. This is an industry issue and not limited to Mitsu.
  • One last trip to the dealer yesterday and the A/C is comfortably pushing out cold air again. Took about two hours.
    Thanks for the helpful info.

I brought my vehicle to the dealer this morning and mine has an air compressor issue. They ordered and will replace the compressor on Monday 8/2.

Thats 2days I bought my outlander gt and the compressor already died. Now i'm starting to rethink the reliability of Mitsubishi brand.
    I had a '99 Galant with a 3L V6 for close to 11 years and over 152K miles before I sold it & bought my '10 Outlander. During my Galant ownership I had 1 engine repair that was around $500; everything else mechanical was just scheduled maintenance. Everything still worked when I sold it, too, including the AC. I had blown out 1 speaker & had it replaced (I likes me music loud sometimes) and replaced a trim piece on the exterior that got damaged by a car wash. But the leather seats were still in good shape, it still had the original exhaust and passed emissions tests, and so on. It survived hot summers & cold Chicago winters.

I really don't think the Outlander will be any less reliable. My Galant was reliable enough to earn repeat business for Mitsu and no other brand I've owned so far has accomplished that feat. That includes Mazda, Toyota, Mercury, and Nissan (taking me back to the mid '80s).

My advice would be to try and think of your AC issue as teething pains. Consider cars have thousands and thousands of parts and you were unlucky enough to get a bad one. But it'll be fixed under warranty (and it has one of the best warranty's available) so you are seeing first hand that the dealer and Mitsu are standing behind the car.

And if you care to research reliability, you'll find most of the other Japanese brands are doing recalls. Not just Toyota (who just did another 400,000 or so car recall) but Subaru and others. I haven't seen any on Mitsus recently. Not that they can't/won't happen, but my point is no brand is immune to having a run of bad parts or suffering an engineering defect.

Best wishes and keep us informed how things go.
    @fushigi - good point! I love everything on my GT except for the air compressor hiccups, so yeah going to give Mitsubishi a chance. Actually, when I was on the market for suv/cuv for my family's vehicle, my 1st option was the Subaru Forester XT2.5 Limited (I'm big subaru fan and still own 09 WRX), then my friend introduced me to the Outlander GT for almost same price $$$ the Forester felt pretty cheap compare to Outlander GT and thats the reason I went with the GT. I just felt I'm getting more for my money.

On the side note the dealer I went to was very helpful and the staff really took care of me, as I mentioned earlier, they will replace the a/c compressor free of charge on monday 8/2, even though I didnt bought the vehicle from them. That also made me feel a lot better knowing Mitsubishi's warranty is pretty good.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted... Tnx again
  • fushigi, makes excellent points about you just being unlucky that your compressor went out. It's a known issue and I'd rather it go out after 2 days than 2 months. Any brand, no matter how reliable, can and will have problems. Mitsubishi is not known (to Americans) to be in the same stature as its Japanese brethren, but IMHO they make really good vehicles.

Similar to fushigi, I had a 00 Galant ES with 173K and no problems. I drove it hard (lots of mountain driving), but performed the scheduled maintenance and wound up selling it to a friend where I expect it to keep running for a long time.

When comparing other CUVs I found that the 10 GT was way more bang for the buck and I could also get it fully loaded. My previous experience with Mitsubishi made my decision that much easier since I trusted the brand. Good luck with yours and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
    edited July 2010
    repeat Mitsubishi customers on here. My '08 Lancer GTS is my first Mitsubishi product but I am really impressed by it's build quality and the car's looks and performance. And the generous Warranty.

I look at Outlander customers too in seeing how Mitsubishi treats them as a whole. My view of Mitsubishi after 3 years of Lancer GTS ownership is very, very good and I really think their future is so bright they're gonna need some solid Burton Cummings shades to keep their fellow workers' success beams deflected safely away from them.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    Wow, Sephia. If you're ever in SE Wisconsin, we'll have to cruise around and listen to some classic rock. You don't see too many Foghat or Guess Who references in car forums. :shades:

My '07 Outlander has been nothing but reliable. I'm assuming Mitsu or their supplier changed the A/C compressor design.
  • Aside from the A/C problem, I love my Outlander. Assuming no further trouble (and really, I don't anticipate any), I expect to love this car for some time into the future. We put a lot of research into this car. As many others have mentioned, compared to the competition, you get the most for your money with the Outlander. We looked at the Escape, Grand Cherokee, Rav4, Highlander, Sante Fe, Tucson, Edge, CR-V, sorento, Murano, and Equinox. The combination of features, price and dealership experience made the Outlander the clear winner.

For us, the final decision was between the Escape, Rav4 and the Outlander. We wanted a 6 cylander engine so that knocked out the Tucson and CR-V. The Grand Cherokee, Highlander and Sante Fe were eliminated as we decided to stick to a CUV. As an ex-GM stockholder, I felt like they should be paying me to buy their car and not the other way around. I really was looking to reward Ford for not needing any government money and was interested in the hybrid option. My wife has an 80's bred Japanese car bias so was initially leaning toward the Rav4.

In the end, we didn't like the interior styling of the Escape. The price tag on the hybrid engine meant a 10 year payback period for the gas savings based on our driving habits. The Toyota dealer nearest us didn't seem like they wanted to make a deal. Sort of, we're Toyota, if you want our car you'll pay our price. The salesperson actually took us to the Toyota "Build a Car" website to show that he was offering a good price on the Rav4. Like I hadn't ever heard of Edmund's and Consumer Reports.

We got the GT with the Leather & Nav package, all-weather mats, cargo mat, cargo cover and wheel locks for $29,500. My main criteria for a car is to get me from point A to point B without breaking down - very utilitarian, but I'm loving the electronics that come with the car.
    SE Wisconsin? I'm in the Chicago suburbs. Are you considering going to Mitsubishi Owner's Day in September? I'll probably go. http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners-site/owners-day.do