Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Insight Prices Paid and Buying Experience

mznmzn Posts: 727
edited April 16 in Honda
The Honda Insight won the edmunds.com Most
Significant Vehicle Award

"The nominations: Honda S2000, Honda Insight and
the Jaguar S-type. The votes were counted. The
envelope was torn open (read: another email)…the
landslide winner is Honda's Insight."

What are your thoughts on this car of the future,
now?

carlady/host

Comments

• If they offered it with a conventional gas engine, I would buy one. We need a replacement for the late, lamented CRX. And despite Honda's reputation for engineering excellence, I wouldn't buy a hybrid vehicle.
  • I applaud Honda, for bringing this car to market!
    Anyone who has looked at fuel prices lately has to
    appreciate the long term value of a car that gets 70MPG.

Let's face it - we need this kind of new technology, lets not lament over yesterdays CRX.

Don't you REX fans get all upset...maybe this
    baby will transform into the REX of tomorrow!
  • Has anyone actually bought an Insight? MY locak dealer says they won't have them for a couple of weeks.
  • I came across this link on vtec.net (a honda/acura
    rumors site), it's about an owner's experiences
    with it.. take a looksee.. (I'm not the author)

http://www.insightman.com/
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Thanks for the link, greggmac. There is nothing like first-hand knowledge when it comes to car opinions!

carlady/host
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    i haven't seen one in person yet, but kind of sorry for rushing into honda last fall and buying a civic ex. i don't know if i would like to have a car with p155 series tires though. but i would defenately love to have all the gismos that come with it. if they umped the hopsepower a bit i think it would make it a more sellable as well as getting rid of those citroen looking rear whell covers. i think if they just made a crx shape more streamline it would make it more interesting as well.
    just my 2 cents
  • Does honda insight comes with automatic transmission? if anybody knows the answer please email your answer to skan111@aol.com
  • I have heard that Honda will offer the automatice CVT transmission with the Insight soon. Don't know how true it is but I've emailed my local Honda dealer to find out.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Have you seen our Honda Insight test drive yet? Please take a look and tell us what you think!

carlady/host
  • What makes the Insight a significant vehicle? It claims 70 mpg, but how does it do this? It is simply a dramatically underpowered vehicle with 120 rechargeable torch batteries to help it get up the first short hill it comes to, or to make its first freeway on-ramp acceleration! A truly significant vehicle would get 70 mpg without seriously compromising its whole reason for existence. The coverage of this car lacks any sort of critical perspective.
  • psyoppsyop Posts: 1
    I have to agree with the previous poster about the Insight. My 1987 Honda CRX-HF to this day will get 45mpg in the city easy and on the highway it can easily hit 55mpg. Back in it's prime I once hit 70mpg on a long trip. All of this occurred without me ever having to worry about a silly 365lb weight limitation or gusty winds or driving just a specific way that could endanger my life on today's freeways. From what I have heard and read, you can honestly expect anywhere from 25 to 70mpg out of the insight. It's way to light to be safe, plus it can be a real chore to drive overall. I think it's great the Honda has put the car and it's technology out into production, but I honestly don't think it is that far beyond my 13 year old CRX-HF.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    #11/#12:
    Hype or not, but none other has matched the Insight yet. This is not a mainstream car, atleast not intended to be, but somebody has to start somewhere, beyond showcasing impractical concepts, and keep advancing on the practical design for a better technology in a few years. In fact, "Insight-Technology" based Civic is supposed to be coming out this year!
    FYI, More than 200 already sold (in two months), not too bad, after a slow start (50+ in first month).
    HP/weight ratio is 23 HP/lb, pretty good for a 0-60 run in about 10 seconds.
  • hello25hello25 Posts: 30
    Subaru sold the Justy (and still does in Europe). It had 3 cyl. and no battery assist. and I knew someone who drove
    on mountain roads every day for years so how much of a problem could it be. Civic doesn't do any better than 10 seconds. It's terrible but it's not going 700 miles on a tank.
    Honda became famous because its CVCC engine was the first to meet the federal emissions standard
    in the early 70's. This was a true achievement
    since apparently the law existed and every American car maker just said "no."
    I remember the 1973 energy crisis and gas lines and rationing. It's difficult to believe the US
    in on the verge of such a crisis again and people are on CNBC and CNN saying things like, "I guess I'll use a stroller and wheel my child around instead of putting him in my SUV and driving around my neighboorhood to get him to go to sleep every time."
    No that's not true. The emissions of specific compounds are fractions of the best ULEV engine
    being sold in a 2000 Civic.
    I've read these and been to the insightman site.
    Thanks for the posts and links. An "Insight-based" Civic sedan is something I'd like to see.
  • flbrkfflbrkf Posts: 1
    With all the thought that went into the Insight, why does Honda only offer a black interior? Seems like that will add a heck of a load to the A/C in summer where I live.
  • FYI, to add larger, wider tires would increase the weight and surface area in contact with the road.
    By increasing the horsepower you'd eat more fuel and battery power.
    Unfortunately, the cars of the future will probably be bubble, roach-shaped cars for the sake of aerodynamics.
    If these 3 things are changed, the fuel economy will change too. Until this all gets perfected, we can only change the color. There are other cars available. Look up www.solectria.com. They have a few vehicles available and also have many links to other alternative fuel vehicles. Even if one's not interested, it makes for entertaining web surfing.
  • crc64crc64 Posts: 2
    I own a V-6 Accord LX, a Civic LX, and an Insight.
    The Insight is more fun to drive than the Civic and Accord. I would view the Insight as another great Honda.
This discussion has been closed.