Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Insight Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• johnson37johnson37 Member Posts: 1
    My Insight has accumulated more than 12,000 miles with an average of 64.3 miles per gallon. Here in the flat country of northern Illinois, my interstate mileage easily exceeds 70 mpg if I keep my highway speeds at 60 mph. It is my fourth Honda. The vehicle design attracts attention and the technology draws rave reviews everywhere. Go Honda!
  • rgedeliversrgedelivers Member Posts: 1
    Looking to dump my Suburban for an Insight (what a change that'll be).

Anyone have knowledge of AZ dealers and the availability of this car. Also, are there self-confidence classes for people who will, for the first time, be looking up at a VW Beetle?

Thanks!
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    as you my know from previous posts i was very interested in an insight, but the price shock made me put that idea on the shelf. since i always wanted a crx, and by the time i could buy one they were discontinued i love the shape, but most of all the technology that went into the car. i will wait and see if they will throw some more features into next year (sunroof, cruise) if i had to drive to florid again, i would love to do it in this car (from NY) but it has NO cruise control. :-(
  • krishbkrishb Member Posts: 1
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that hybrids can't make the "economics" argument yet. If you think the average life of a car is about 150,000 miles, and the choice is betn. a 25 mpg and 60 mpg car (say camry and an insight) you are talking about 6000 gallons and 2500 gallons over the life of the car, i.e. a difference of 3500 gallons. At about $2/gallon, it is about $7,500/- But the key thing to note here is that this is over the life of the car. If you drive 20,000 miles a year, you will save about $1000/year.

Considering a nice Protege or a corolla can be had for about $13 grand which would be a better car overall except for the mpg and associated pollution, I don't think there is enough economic incentive to justify the $20K sticker for Insight. Essentially we are paying a "green" tax. Okay, we have to amorize the engineering effort, and I am willing to accept the sticker. But the markup charged by the dealers just because there is a "demand" seems a** backward to me, and is basically gouging. This is where the capitalistic systems fails the society. What? I should pay the 4K mark up so that the dealer and his 16 year old can ride their 10mpg gas guzzling monster? To keep my conscience (and the environment) clear, I am better off driving a reasonably clean car (take your pick) and send in a $1000/year to Sierra Club or some other environmental organization.
    hopefully al bore is elected, then we all get the tax incentive from the federal government to buy the insight. hopefully they also tax the suv's and use the money to subsidize the hybrids, and other alternative energy vehicles.
  • 4fun4fun Member Posts: 9
    I was shopping for a Civic and saw 5 Insights nearby at Lute & Riley Honda in Dallas, some appear sitting around for a while. I thought that they have to be special ordered.

I love the nylon seats and the high tech instrument panel. The racy little steering wheel and shifter deserve some credits too. I was supprise that the second gear pulls me up to 50-60mph (Electric Motor assist?) Engine is a bit loud, but then it's tiny.

Such a high tech toy! Too bad, there is no back seat for kids.
  • badnu1sbadnu1s Member Posts: 5
    The Insight situation in the Northeast has
    improved quite a bit.. And I have run into
    three dealers in NH alone, that are properly
    pushing the Insight (not dumping it waayy
    in the back of the lot like that dealer in
    Auburn, MA).

I have seen comments on insightman.com that
    indicate that 2001 Insights will be available
    with Continously variable transmission.

Does anyone know WHEN this option will be
    available? (so far, only manual
    transmission 2001's have shown up at local dealers
    in the northeast, and there doesn't seem to be
    a mechanism for dealers to custom order yet).

Does anyone have access to fuel mileage figures
    for the Japanese Insight (manual vs. CVT?)
    Any ideas what the price differential will be
    to upgrade from manual to CVT in the US (or
    currently is in Japan)?

Since the whole vehicle is optimized for
    efficiency, I would expect the CVT to similarly
    be optimized to use the most efficient loading
    on the engine/IMA.
    I have seen some comments Re: the OEM tires
    not being all that great in snow.. Are
    there any Insight customers in Canada, who
    perhaps have already had to drive the Insight
    in the first snow of the season?

Comments?

I am still sitting on the sidelines, contemplating
    the effect of the CVT transmission, and perhaps
    the need to replace at least two of the
    Insight tires with studded tires..
    Has anyone tried studded front tires yet?
    I am a Ham Operator, and routinely operate
    two-way radios in the 50, 146, and 440 Mhz.
    range. I am a little concerned with radio
    interference from the IMA.

Does Honda publish any figures on this?
    Has anyone tried operating either a mobile scanner or two way radio from an Insight?
    i has been two months since i saw the insight at pragon honda in queens, ny, well, i was there this weekend and it is still there. if the dealer was a little bit more flexible he would have sold that insight. even though people say that insights are sold at a loss, i still feel uncomfortable paying $20G's for it. it would increase my payments by $100 a month, and i would loose a year that i have paid so far on my civic. too bad the car is so expencive. also, dodge is coming out with 70mpg disel-electric hybrind in 2002, honda's better come out with a better optioned car for that money.
    Hi:

Since I live in a somewhat rural part of NH,
    I felt I had to inquire with the local tire
    store about getting studded snow tires for the Insight.

The closest I got to the P165/65R14 spec in the
    book was: P175/65R14.

Has anyone replaced the OEM tire with something
    like this?

Thanks
  • jimaldenjimalden Member Posts: 11
    GOHEV Southern California Hybrid Gathering re-scheduled.
    http://members.nbci.com/gohev/gohev.htm

At the request of a several people, because of proximity to
    Christmas, the GOHEV, (gathering of hybrid electric vehicles)
    originally scheduled on Dec. 23rd, has been moved to Sunday, January
    7th 2001 at Griffith Park, in Los Angeles, CA.
    There has been a great response to this event so far.
    Edmunds.com has offered to give out shirts, mugs and other goodies.
    A representative from Toyota will be joining us as well.
    So far, both Toyota Prius and Honda Insight owners will be there.
    Actor Ed Begley Jr. emailed to say he might also be joining us.
    Hopefully he’ll have his EV1 with him.
    A writer from Entertainment Today will also be there for a story and
    pictures.

This will be in a picnic/BBQ area, so you can bring food, Frisbees etc.
    The Grills are in the park. Expect 65 to 70 degree temps. (updates coming)
    The gathering will be from 12:00 noon till the early evening.

Anyone owning or interested in owning any type of alternative fueled
    vehicle is invited.

Please email [email protected] for specific directions and registration.

Please let us know if you will attend, and how many people are in
    your party.
    Hope to see you there!
  • winker98winker98 Member Posts: 4
    I have been driving an Insight since July. I love it. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and recently took the Insight on a trip across the UP on my way to visit my family. We have approximately 1 to 2 feet of snow here depending on the area and the car drove just fine. One has to adjust to the narrow wheel base and the lightness of the car but it pulled me through 10 inches of snow on the ground in some areas and I never lost control. I was thrilled with the performance of the car. Now, my gas mileage did go down to around 56 miles to a gallon, I am used to getting closer to 72 miles to a gallon on long trip but I believe this was due to the colder weather and the drag of the snow and slush. As I stated before, I have never regretted buying this car and I still stand by that statement.
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    Please be sure to tell us how the Insight event goes!

carlady/host
  • philringphilring Member Posts: 1
    I have had several problems with my Insight. I have had the car at the dealer for 24 days since the middle of September. They have diagnosed the problem as a bad computer. However, there are no parts available for the repair. My milage has dropped from 66 to about 52 since the "problem". The engine does get hot enough to be effecient. The gauges are not working properly on the dash. Did I mention that I had almost no heat. That is very helpful in Illinois this time of year.

Is anyone else having problems?
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Hey Insight owners, I'm happy with my Civic but want to trade up to a Insight one day.
    philring (and all) what do you think ?

--
    Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
    http://freeweb.pdq.net/rfruth

1981 Raleigh for commuting, errands & fun
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun !
    2000 DX Civic hatchback
  • dasteph94dasteph94 Member Posts: 20
    None of the Honda dealers i've talked with have heard about the so called
    $2000 tax credit for buying a Honda--can someone tell me the straight
    scoop on this?

THanks!
    Dasteph
  • hondagrrlhondagrrl Member Posts: 2
    #68, My Honda dealer was the one that told me about the tax credit... it's supposed to be a $2500 credit for purchasing a ULEV.

I love my Insight... I just got it 2 weeks ago and I think $20K isn't excessive for progressive thinking. We need to start using alternative fuel sources and this is a good start. And I'll save $200/mo in gas now so the car will practically pay for itself. I went over 500 miles on my first tank and it took me $13 to fill it up. Can't beat that!
    One day left. If you are in the driving distance of Los Angeles, please click the link below for info and directions to the largest gathering of hybrid cars ever.
    Join us, its a picnic/BBQ!

http://members.nbci.com/gohev/
    Here is a link to the GOHEV-1 pictures from Griffith Park, Los Angeles on Sunday Jan 7th
    http://communities.msn.com/GOHEV
    Thanks Jim, your photo album of the GOHEV gathering is great ! Wish I could have gone. There seems to be a large percentage of Toyota Priuses, also was there any interest from the big three ?

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

1981 Raleigh for commuting, errands & fun
    2000 5 speed Civic hatchback
  • heavywheavyw Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2000 insight. It's red, and comes with a cd player, cruise control, and air conditioning. the dealer wants 100.00 over invoice, for a total $18,700.00. Does this seem like a good deal to all of you out there? To me i will be saving about 120-140 dollars a month in gas expenses. which should equal about half of the monthly payment. let me know what you think.
  • pstewart99pstewart99 Member Posts: 1
    Honda CD Changer addition:
    I managed to find a CD Changer from a third party for quite a bit less than the dealer price. Now the mystery unfolds- does anyone have information on the following:

I know where the changer is to be located- does it somehow make use of the styrofoam filler currently there, or is there another way to fasten/mount it?

How do you access the thing with the luggage well in place, or do you have to remove this to change disk cartridges?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Phil Stewart #3842
  • puxesacopuxesaco Member Posts: 1
    Any Insight owners use their vehicle to transport their kayak and/or bike using roof racks? I want a new vehicle that is efficient but that can haul my toys around when I please. Been looking at pickups but am appalled at the low gas mileage. Thanx in advance.
  • iskraeiskrae Member Posts: 2
    I'm on the verge of buying an Insight. Will probably buy anyway, but I'm looking for service info. The IMA battery is covered for 8yr/80K mi. Nobody can tell me how often one can expect to replace it. NiMH doesn't last forever. I have found it costs about $1900 for a full battery assembly, but would love to know how often to expect to lay that much out! Anybody know?
  • iskraeiskrae Member Posts: 2
    The information I read on the tax credit (from E&Y Tax Guide) is that the credit is for the purchase of a vehicle whose primary source of power is electric. The Insight is primary gas. So is the Insight disqualified, although it's still ULEV?
    A local dealer here in Columbus, Ohio is now telling me they will sell
    an Insight for $16,900 just to get rid of them(they aren't flying off the lots
    exactly!)

They must still be making something, so don't let your local dealers
    hoodwink you with "we have to sell for MSRP" stuff
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    the dealer is bearing the cost of the discount -- it's surely a factory incentive.

Honda loses money on every one of those they sell -- as does Toyota, with the Prius.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    at a dealer in central NJ. Hmm...are they selling or not? Is the CVT available yet?
  • evsxlr8evsxlr8 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know where you can get 144V NiMH packs for $1900. They are way more expensive - only lead acid are within this price range
  • generalservicegeneralservice Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the Central Valley and want to buy an Insight, but don't want to get gouged! I don't mind traveling a resonable distance to get a good deal. Anybody out there recommend a fair dealer?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    to LA. The dealers there tend to be more competetive.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to check out Edmunds.com's free shopping service: PowerShopper. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

We look forward to hearing about your purchase experience. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• reecerhreecerh Member Posts: 2
    For those of you shopping for a Honda Insight recommend you try e-bay. I was able to get a 2000 model with A/C and dealer installed cruise control for 16900.00. In monitoring e-bay it appears that several dealerships nationwide are using e-bay to reduce their 2000 models. I have had the car a few weeks (2000 miles) and have increased the lifetime mpg to 70.1 and the current tank (only my second as it came full) has 430 miles with a 80.3 mpg consumption. Have Fun and buy online. Rick
    and thanks for sharing your story. We look forward to hearing more about your new Honda Insight! ;-)

To everyone- Here's an interesting article from Edmunds.com's Tech Center: How a Hybrid Works. Of course, the Honda insight is mentioned here. To quote the article's picture caption: "The 2000 Honda Insight, the first production hybrid to hit U.S. shores... its futuristic shape catches the eye of California Highway patrolmen and cologne hawkers alike."

What do you think? ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• TMLTMLTMLTML Member Posts: 22
    I just bought a Honda Odyssey from Danny Roberts at Moss Motors (800-487-0991) in Lafayette, Louisiana. He didn't play any sales games with me. He is very upfront and trustworthy. He said he will sell any 2001 Insight on his lot for $1,000 under Invoice (Not MSRP), and a 2000 Insight for $2,000 under Invoice. I guess they aren't selling too well in Louisiana. (Lafayette is Oil Country, he told me) Tell him Tommy Lew from San Antonio, Texas sent you. Danny said they can ship it to your doorstep, for about $1 per mile, if you don't want to go to Louisana to pick it up. Since their delivery truck was booked up for two weeks, I bought a $170 airplane ticket and flew into Lafayette. The dealership was one mile from the airport, so Danny picked me up. Of course, in a situation like that, they have you over a barrel, but they didn't pull any tricks. Price quoted was the price I paid. $23,900 + $49 Document fee for a Beige Honda Odyssey LX, which was about $440 under MSRP. Out the door, no options installed at my request. (In case you didn't know, that's a GREAT price for an LX Odyssey. Every other dealer, local and internet, dealers are getting MSRP+ to put you on a 4 week waiting list.)
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Just went by my dealer (Mark Roberts Honda) in Bartellsville, Ok 1-800-375-less.
    They have three insights 2000 model (new) blowing out for $14,995. I was really tempted but do not need right now. That is $5000 off. Must be incentive to do that. If interested ask for John Page and tell him Inky sent you. He may give me a few referral bucks. 2 Red and one silver.
    Check out dealer on web Markroberts.com
    I have bought many cars there. They are legit..
    INKY in Tulsa
  • stkickerstkicker Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking at the Insight. A dealer in Chicago asked me "what if I could get you the 2000 with A/C for $15,900?" I am seriously considering although I'd like the CD too and still am concerned about the battery costs. I figure to drive about 25,000 miles a year so I don't want to have to replace the batteries in 3 or 4 years. Does anyone know the costs for the batteries and the CD player? And does the $15,900 sound like a good price??? Thanks for any info.
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    I have been intrigued by the Insight as a car (particularly with gasoline prices going up) and while a two passenger vehicle is not a problem for me (95% of the time it is just me in the car and 95% of the rest of the time it is only one other person) but I do need enough cargo room to haul stuff, so eactly how much can one fit into the insight... and how long, high, etc.
  • mness1mness1 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a red 2000 Insight which had been at a dealership in Memphis for 8 months. Last week they began a jaw-dropping push to get five out the door. The non-negotiable price was $15,999 with A/C. They wouldn't even add floor mats. At this moment there is one neon one left.
  • stkickerstkicker Member Posts: 2
    I made an offer to a dealership in suburban Chicago last night which to my surprise was accepted. The offer is for a 2000 model New with A/C and the optional CD changer in rear WITH DEALER INSTALLED REAR SPEAKERS (the car only comes with 2 front speakers and the stereo sounds pretty lame.) I offered $15,900 plus usual tax, document fee of $51.00 and title transfer charge. After talking to another dealer, they beat that price by $200.00. I'm still deciding which dealer and price I'll take.
  • 9186089991860899 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a new 2000 or (2001) Honda Insight. Can anyone point me towards the dealers who are "REALLY" dealing these cars?? Apperaently, I missed the "deal of the century" on the Dealer in Okalahoma who's selling their insight for 14,995... Damn!!!

Thanks in advance,

YB
    I think they're pretty much sold out in your area. I've seen 2001's close to invoice, and at the same time some guys were still trying to get sticker. $3.00 a gallon this summer oughta push the car's value up, especially since Insights are available and a Prius has to be ordered.
    Hi everyone- Please note, you'll now find a link to Edmunds.com's Honda Insight Video clip in the Additional Resources box on the left side of the page. Let us know what you think. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

• chorobechorobe Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have experience or knowledge installing A/C on a non A/C Insight? My local dealer has 1 blue one that I like but it is the non A/C version but the salesman is saying that it would be pretty easy for them to install it. Is it wiser to get one that originally came from the factory with A/C? Actually, I'm surprised that here in So. Cal there would be non A/C vehicles. You pretty much need A/C in this area.
    A local dealer here in Columbus, Ohio is offering Insights for around $15,900--quite
    a bargain even for a 2000 model but the ads don't say what's on them.
    with all standard items. Honda doesn't have factory options.
  • juresjures Member Posts: 42
    i'm interested in getting an insight as a commuter car, i drive approx 66 miles each day round trip, more than half is at 55 +. will this car work for me? where are the good deals in the pa,nj, de area? thanks for any info roger
    There is lots of Insight information (no 'good deals' info, sorry) on InsightCentral.net http://www.insightcentral.net

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun

2000 Honda Civic hatchback

• r9957r9957 Member Posts: 1
    Its been a while since I logged in but thought I would answer a few of the questions posted.
    1. Replacement Batteries are 2K but Honda expects the batteries to last the life of the car. They have a 8yr/80K mile warranty but like the engine are expected to go well beyond the warranty.
    2. The Insight has a 380lb economy weight limit. This means that to get the advertised mpg figures this is the max load they recommend. The car runs fine with a heavier load (they say its 30% stonger than the civic body.
    3. The insight central and yahoo discussion groups mentioned are good sites for research.
    4. It does deliver. My lifetime mpg is at 75.4 and the best trip is 480 miles at 91.6mpg. Folks in Thailand and England have set records of 100+ mpg on 3500 mile round country trips. Have Fun
This discussion has been closed.