Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Insight Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Mike, getting 50 mpg on a Sentra sounds weird, unless the entire journey was downhill. And as far as markups are concerned, I seriously doubt the authenticity of 15K over MSRP.
  • darelldddarelldd Posts: 20
    If you truly made 50 mpg in a Sentra, you could have sold the thing for about $million. Did you always have a tail wind? If you were getting 50 in the city with AC, you must have achieved 70 in the highway with no AC? Care to play again?

I think the 60-70 (assuming anybody actually gets that) is and increadible achievement.
  • crc64crc64 Posts: 2
    Just over 3000 miles in just over 2 months averaging 58.0 mostly to and from work.
  • badnu1sbadnu1s Posts: 5
    I am currently in the market for a new car, and am
    very disappointed at how little the dealers (around Boston) know about the Insight and how poorly they are trying to sell them (they aren't).
    After several attempts at different dealerships throughout New England, either they don't have any, or they aren't in running condition, or they aren't on their main lot, or.....

My latest experience, was with Lundgreen Honda in Auburn, MA.. These loosers had the Insight WAY
    in the back of their lot. Not only was the car deader than a door nail (dead 12V ICE battery), but they wouldn't even jump start it for me, and even better, they wouldn't even take an order
    from me..

What's up with this? How on earth does Honda ever expect for this car to catch on, with such INCOMPETENT dealers?

Does anyone have any recommendation of COMPETENT
    Honda dealers in central MA or southern NH area? Do they even exist?

Although the Prius isn't out quite yet, the few Toyota dealers I inquited at, seemed a lot more
    competent.
  • 82668266 Posts: 1
    The cloth seats in my Gt are fraying at the lower part of the back rest. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Im taking it back to dealer to see what Toyota,s response is. I think the small perforated holes are to easily snagged. Might have to go with the leather seats.///8266
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Give me a TDI VW instead.

-Beanboy
  • rickabtrickabt Posts: 34
    I sell new Hondas in Northern California where the market for the Insight is extremely great. Among my colleagues, sometimes they are disappointed when they meet an Insight shopper because of the unlikely chance of selling them anytime soon. I'm not surprised, however, about your problems finding a knowledgeable or willing dealership in the Northeast.

Just about two weeks ago, we California dealers were elated to hear some great news for us. Honda Motor Sales announced that they would be increasing the allocation of Insights to California dealers on account of the fact that Northeastern dealers refused an increase in their allocation.

Sadly for you, Insights will eventually become more dificult to find in your neck of the woods, but easier to find here in California. Of course, with so many sales calls and shoppers stopping by each dealership in this region, we could easily sell double the number we get now for MSRP or more as soon as or before they arrive at the lots.

Then again, the average roundtrip for commutes in this marketplace is much, mcuh longer here than in the Boston area.

As for the lack of knowledgeable sales associates at Honda dealers, Honda does seem to be partly to blame for this. I had plenty of experience with Toyota prior to selling Hondas, and dealers were getting information about the Prius as much as two years ago. Meanwhile, Honda kept the car a virtual enigma until the very moment they began to arrive at the first lucky dealerships. Production and delivery are happening at a glacial pace, and many smaller or mid-size dealers have not yet even recieved their second Insight.

Many salespeople actually feel that their likelihood of selling an Insight is so small that it is negligible ... therefore, they feel rather ambivalent about the car itself. My colleagues don't feel this way, but we do get frustrated when there are so many customers coming in to ask for them, yet there is nothing to show.

These are not excuses for bad salesmanship in regards to the Insight, but it may help explain why Badnuls has found little help in the quest for an Insight.

Similarly, Honda has not even given sales staff any clue about the all-new 2001 Civic. It's just weeks away, but other than spy photos I found in a British journal, I have little info about what bodes to be my bread and butter in just a few weeks. I understand the rationale ... Honda wnats us to remain focused on selling the remaining 2000s.

If you want to know more about the car and you live in the northeast, perhaps you can ask your local dealers if you can have a chance to view the Sales Training videotape. We have allowed that a few times here ... usually whenever all of us are busily helping customers buy cars actually available at the dealership. If no one obliges, insightman.com is a great resource.
  • I just took delivery of my Insight about 10 days ago. I have a 100 mile+ round trip commute in Southern CA - and with gas prices the way they are I decided to take the plunge. Although I am getting nowhere near the 70MPG quoted by the EPA I am getting almost 60MPG on a commute that is uphill one way. :>) I am still on my second tank of gas and have gone over 1100 miles. I purchased mine at Honda of Oxnard in Ventura County - they seemed to know a fair amount about the car and were anxious to get this one on the road so that they could sell another! I can't believe the stuff that is posted about dealers in the northeast. Shame on them. This is my third Honda and (so far) my favorite. I traded a 99 Infiniti G20t and although I liked it, I love this one.
  • jetson2jetson2 Posts: 5
    There is a discussion thead on the Prius town hall topic http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Sedans&t=3508&a=1&H=120&f=0
    Summary, there is a tax credit for electic cars - some dealer mentioned a deduction - still being hashed out.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Thank you, rickabt, for providing such detailed information!

carlady/host
  • winker98winker98 Posts: 4
    Bought my Insight last week from a dealer in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It is a great driving experience and I like feeling like I am "having a relationship" as I drive as the car is always letting me know what it is doing. I got 76.5 miles to the gallon on a 410 mile trip. I am really enjoying this car.
  • stelmarstelmar Posts: 1
    Almost 3000km so far of aggressive, 135km/hr autoroute as well as hard accelerating stop-and-go city driving. Am only getting an average of 4.6l/100km ( about 51 miles/US gallon ) but this is still not bad. Have however noticed that 3.5l/100km ( high 60's mpg's ) is do-able on the highway at 95-100km/hr. Too bad there's no cruise.
    Unloaded a beautiful Audi A4 to "do the right thing for the planet." Now, except for the skitteriness of the skinny tires, I love the Insight. Boy do I get looks. Not like the far too common A4. Am leasing for 2 years. Looking forward to a fuel cell or perhaps even a pure, increased range, plug-in EV.
  • aceroneacerone Posts: 12
    Check out the forum at www.honda-acura.net kind of slow right now but in time who know's.
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    i was at the dealer today. they have a silver insight on the lot, with a/c it will be $20500 or so. i was just wondering if anyone got the car at or close to invoice ($18000). also, is the insurance cheaper on the insight than the civic. i have a 99 civic ex. and was thinking of trading it in for the insight, but the price tag is a little bit scary, 20 grand for a 2 seater. i know i will be investing into something that may replace the internal combustion engines for good, but....it will increase my payments by a $100 a month. also, does anyone know if NY state has tax credit for the electric vehicles? how about federal government?
    the worst part is that they also had a souped up Si for $17000 lol
    i was at the dealer today. they have a silver insight on the lot, with a/c it will be $20500 or so. i was just wondering if anyone got the car at or close to invoice ($18000). also, is the insurance cheaper on the insight than the civic. i have a 99 civic ex. and was thinking of trading it in for the insight, but the price tag is a little bit scary, 20 grand for a 2 seater. i know i will be investing into something that may replace the internal combustion engines for good, but....it will increase my payments by a $100 a month. also, does anyone know if NY state has tax credit for the electric vehicles? how about federal government?
    the worst part is that they also had a souped up Si for $17000 lol
    sorry for double
  • I have the Honda Insight and my insurance for the car is about $737.00 annually. This is with Liberty Mutual and it includes a multi-car policy because my husband and I have both our cars with them. It is for full coverage including 250/500 broadened collision. I did not find this to be too bad. I am getting use to the two seater and the gas mileage I get is great. I don't know about the tax credits for this alternative energy auto. I am hopeful but I have to check it out. I feel good about driving the car and that helps with any worry I had about cost etc. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so it will be a test to see how the car does in all the snow. I am willing to give it a go, tho. Good luck
  • I called numerous Honda dealers in my search to find information on the Insight. I took 2 months to decide to buy the car. Not one of them quoted me less than $20,000 with air conditioning. I don't know if anyone else has better luck but all over the Michigan, Minneasota and Wisconsin, I could not find an Insight for less that than.
    www.carsdirect.com is sold out on the insights. but they had it for the MSRP, i am a little bit concerned with paying MSRP for anycar. there is one here at the dealership, but they won't budge. also, it said that the insight has climate control. is it an automatic climate control, or just an A/C. the one they have, is without A/C they said they would install A/C for $1500, but i am wondering if it is as reliable as factory A/C, and whether factory A/c is a climate contorl system and i would get just A/C.

thank you for your responses
  • P.S.
    Another reason the dealers won't come down on price: Honda is selling the Insights at a loss as it is.
  • My Insight has accumulated more than 12,000 miles with an average of 64.3 miles per gallon. Here in the flat country of northern Illinois, my interstate mileage easily exceeds 70 mpg if I keep my highway speeds at 60 mph. It is my fourth Honda. The vehicle design attracts attention and the technology draws rave reviews everywhere. Go Honda!
  • Looking to dump my Suburban for an Insight (what a change that'll be).

Anyone have knowledge of AZ dealers and the availability of this car. Also, are there self-confidence classes for people who will, for the first time, be looking up at a VW Beetle?

Thanks!
    as you my know from previous posts i was very interested in an insight, but the price shock made me put that idea on the shelf. since i always wanted a crx, and by the time i could buy one they were discontinued i love the shape, but most of all the technology that went into the car. i will wait and see if they will throw some more features into next year (sunroof, cruise) if i had to drive to florid again, i would love to do it in this car (from NY) but it has NO cruise control. :-(
  • krishbkrishb Posts: 1
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that hybrids can't make the "economics" argument yet. If you think the average life of a car is about 150,000 miles, and the choice is betn. a 25 mpg and 60 mpg car (say camry and an insight) you are talking about 6000 gallons and 2500 gallons over the life of the car, i.e. a difference of 3500 gallons. At about $2/gallon, it is about $7,500/- But the key thing to note here is that this is over the life of the car. If you drive 20,000 miles a year, you will save about $1000/year.

Considering a nice Protege or a corolla can be had for about $13 grand which would be a better car overall except for the mpg and associated pollution, I don't think there is enough economic incentive to justify the $20K sticker for Insight. Essentially we are paying a "green" tax. Okay, we have to amorize the engineering effort, and I am willing to accept the sticker. But the markup charged by the dealers just because there is a "demand" seems a** backward to me, and is basically gouging. This is where the capitalistic systems fails the society. What? I should pay the 4K mark up so that the dealer and his 16 year old can ride their 10mpg gas guzzling monster? To keep my conscience (and the environment) clear, I am better off driving a reasonably clean car (take your pick) and send in a $1000/year to Sierra Club or some other environmental organization.
    hopefully al bore is elected, then we all get the tax incentive from the federal government to buy the insight. hopefully they also tax the suv's and use the money to subsidize the hybrids, and other alternative energy vehicles.
  • 4fun4fun Posts: 9
    I was shopping for a Civic and saw 5 Insights nearby at Lute & Riley Honda in Dallas, some appear sitting around for a while. I thought that they have to be special ordered.

I love the nylon seats and the high tech instrument panel. The racy little steering wheel and shifter deserve some credits too. I was supprise that the second gear pulls me up to 50-60mph (Electric Motor assist?) Engine is a bit loud, but then it's tiny.

Such a high tech toy! Too bad, there is no back seat for kids.
  • The Insight situation in the Northeast has
    improved quite a bit.. And I have run into
    three dealers in NH alone, that are properly
    pushing the Insight (not dumping it waayy
    in the back of the lot like that dealer in
    Auburn, MA).

I have seen comments on insightman.com that
    indicate that 2001 Insights will be available
    with Continously variable transmission.

Does anyone know WHEN this option will be
    available? (so far, only manual
    transmission 2001's have shown up at local dealers
    in the northeast, and there doesn't seem to be
    a mechanism for dealers to custom order yet).

Does anyone have access to fuel mileage figures
    for the Japanese Insight (manual vs. CVT?)
    Any ideas what the price differential will be
    to upgrade from manual to CVT in the US (or
    currently is in Japan)?

Since the whole vehicle is optimized for
    efficiency, I would expect the CVT to similarly
    be optimized to use the most efficient loading
    on the engine/IMA.
  • I have seen some comments Re: the OEM tires
    not being all that great in snow.. Are
    there any Insight customers in Canada, who
    perhaps have already had to drive the Insight
    in the first snow of the season?

Comments?

I am still sitting on the sidelines, contemplating
    the effect of the CVT transmission, and perhaps
    the need to replace at least two of the
    Insight tires with studded tires..
    Has anyone tried studded front tires yet?
  • I am a Ham Operator, and routinely operate
    two-way radios in the 50, 146, and 440 Mhz.
    range. I am a little concerned with radio
    interference from the IMA.

Does Honda publish any figures on this?
    Has anyone tried operating either a mobile scanner or two way radio from an Insight?
    i has been two months since i saw the insight at pragon honda in queens, ny, well, i was there this weekend and it is still there. if the dealer was a little bit more flexible he would have sold that insight. even though people say that insights are sold at a loss, i still feel uncomfortable paying $20G's for it. it would increase my payments by $100 a month, and i would loose a year that i have paid so far on my civic. too bad the car is so expencive. also, dodge is coming out with 70mpg disel-electric hybrind in 2002, honda's better come out with a better optioned car for that money.
This discussion has been closed.