Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Insight Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stkickerstkicker Posts: 2
    I made an offer to a dealership in suburban Chicago last night which to my surprise was accepted. The offer is for a 2000 model New with A/C and the optional CD changer in rear WITH DEALER INSTALLED REAR SPEAKERS (the car only comes with 2 front speakers and the stereo sounds pretty lame.) I offered $15,900 plus usual tax, document fee of $51.00 and title transfer charge. After talking to another dealer, they beat that price by $200.00. I'm still deciding which dealer and price I'll take.
  • 9186089991860899 Posts: 3
    I am looking for a new 2000 or (2001) Honda Insight. Can anyone point me towards the dealers who are "REALLY" dealing these cars?? Apperaently, I missed the "deal of the century" on the Dealer in Okalahoma who's selling their insight for 14,995... Damn!!!

Thanks in advance,

YB
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    I think they're pretty much sold out in your area. I've seen 2001's close to invoice, and at the same time some guys were still trying to get sticker. $3.00 a gallon this summer oughta push the car's value up, especially since Insights are available and a Prius has to be ordered.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Hi everyone- Please note, you'll now find a link to Edmunds.com's Honda Insight Video clip in the Additional Resources box on the left side of the page. Let us know what you think. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

• chorobechorobe Posts: 5
    Does anyone have experience or knowledge installing A/C on a non A/C Insight? My local dealer has 1 blue one that I like but it is the non A/C version but the salesman is saying that it would be pretty easy for them to install it. Is it wiser to get one that originally came from the factory with A/C? Actually, I'm surprised that here in So. Cal there would be non A/C vehicles. You pretty much need A/C in this area.
  • dasteph94dasteph94 Posts: 20
    A local dealer here in Columbus, Ohio is offering Insights for around $15,900--quite
    a bargain even for a 2000 model but the ads don't say what's on them.
    with all standard items. Honda doesn't have factory options.
  • juresjures Posts: 42
    i'm interested in getting an insight as a commuter car, i drive approx 66 miles each day round trip, more than half is at 55 +. will this car work for me? where are the good deals in the pa,nj, de area? thanks for any info roger
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    There is lots of Insight information (no 'good deals' info, sorry) on InsightCentral.net http://www.insightcentral.net

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

http://freeweb.pdq.net/rfruth

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun

1997 Trek 2300 for real fun !

2000 Honda Civic hatchback

• r9957r9957 Posts: 1
    Its been a while since I logged in but thought I would answer a few of the questions posted.
    1. Replacement Batteries are 2K but Honda expects the batteries to last the life of the car. They have a 8yr/80K mile warranty but like the engine are expected to go well beyond the warranty.
    2. The Insight has a 380lb economy weight limit. This means that to get the advertised mpg figures this is the max load they recommend. The car runs fine with a heavier load (they say its 30% stonger than the civic body.
    3. The insight central and yahoo discussion groups mentioned are good sites for research.
    4. It does deliver. My lifetime mpg is at 75.4 and the best trip is 480 miles at 91.6mpg. Folks in Thailand and England have set records of 100+ mpg on 3500 mile round country trips. Have Fun
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    We look forward to more about Honda Insight experience. ;-)

To everyone- Here's an article I came across today from Edmunds.com's New Headlines featuring the Honda Insight: Rising gas prices promote hybrid car popularity. Hope you enjoy.

Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Check out Edmunds' Spin Around Town: 2001 Honda Insight, An Easy-Going Environmentalist, by Erin Riches. And let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    Edmunds review of the Insight is good IMO. On a different subject (kinda) now that the hybrid Civic is out will it take the place of the Insight ? Hope not cause if the available hatch area was increased the Insight would be just about right for me ! Rob (no HEV yet) Fruth
    From Edmunds' Long Term Road Tests, here's the January 2002 review for their 2000 Honda Insight. Look for a direct link to this Long Term Road Test in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. You'll find monthly reviews starting from April 2000. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    This is a good idea, encourage conservation http://auto.com/industry/iwirm1_20020301.htm
    Hi rfruth- Thanks for the link.

For those interested, here's another interesting article, I recently came across, about the $2000 federal tax credit available for the Honda Insight. You'll also find links within this article leading you to other articles about electric and clean fuel vehicle tax credits. Hope this is helpful.

Btw, are there any Insight owners out there that have filed for this tax credit? Please share your experience with us. Thanks.

Revka
    Host
    We are looking for any woman who has recently bought or driven a hybrid car.

If you fit this description and care to share your input on the subject, please contact Kristen Gerencher at kgerencher@marketwatch.com or Jeannine Fallon at jfallon@edmunds.com by noon EST Tuesday, March 19. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    Don't forget tonight's Town Hall Chat, 5-7 pm PT/8-10 pm ET. Tonight's topic -- Why my next car will/won't be a hybrid.

Hope you can make it!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi Folks- Here's the wrap up for Edmunds' 2000 Honda Insight Long Term Road Test. Also, scroll down that page to find direct links (right side) to monthly articles covering all 24 months of their Honda Insight experience. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Host
    I wanted to let everyone know that a scale model is available of the Insight - available through http://www.ewacars.com
    Not sure, this may have been mentioned before, but I was reassured by the high rating.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1571.html
    Thanks for the information.

Revka
    Host
  • I am a first-time buyer looking to purchase a new or used Insight. However, I am currently pondering whether or not to opt for the CVT or manual version. I have only tested the CVT version, and I was quite pleased with it, however, I'm also drawn to the higher mileage of the manual version.

Can anyone help me out?
    I'm more of a manual transmission person myself (lower purchase price and operating cost better control etc) but shifting does get old ... This is from Insight Central http://www.insightcentral.net/faq-cvt.html#Chart

The 5-speed appeals to people who want a manual transmission, while the CVT appeals to people who want an automatic transmission.

While both versions offer very impressive fuel efficiency & emissions levels, engineers have to make some design tradeoffs between these two goals. The 5-speed puts more emphasis on efficiency & greenhouse gas emissions, while the CVT puts more emphasis on level of California emissions certification.

The 5-speed was designed to achieve the best possible fuel efficiency - and thereby the lowest possible greenhouse gas emissions - while still achieving ULEV California emissions levels. The CVT, on the other hand, has been tuned to achieve an even tougher level of California emissions standards - SULEV - at the cost of a reduced fuel efficiency and slightly higher greenhouse gas production.

Nonetheless, the CVT Insight still achieves the best fuel efficiency of any gas powered car with an automatic-transmission, being significantly better than even the Toyota Prius.
    FREEPORT, Maine, June 5 — The Honda Insight, which gets about 64 miles per gallon of gasoline, is the most fuel-efficient car sold commercially in the U.S. But 64 mpg is peanuts to Naoto Inoue. If he can’t coax his two-seat silver Insight to more than 70 mpg, he considers it a bad day. http://www.msnbc.com/news/762050.asp
    All this talk (?) has got me drooling for a Insight, no hybrid yet but would love a 5 speed (CVT okay) but can't bring myself to pay MSRP, had thought with the Civic hybrid the going price of the Insight might come down but noo, not in these parts anyway is there a secret anyone can suggest ?

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

http://web2.airmail.net/rfruth
    All this talk (?) has got me drooling for a Insight, no hybrid yet but would love a 5 speed (CVT okay) but can't bring myself to pay MSRP, had thought with the Civic hybrid the going price of the Insight might come down but noo, not in these parts anyway is there a secret anyone can suggest ?

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

http://web2.airmail.net/rfruth
    Ya gotta be kidding me! I'm seeing Insights at invoice, even the new Civic Hybrid is close to the magic number. You must not be talking to the right people!
    Insight is discounted a couple grand (autobytel, e-mails, local dealers) but I was hoping for even more, who are the right people ?
    rfruth in Houston
This discussion has been closed.