Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Insight Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Hi:

Since I live in a somewhat rural part of NH,
    I felt I had to inquire with the local tire
    store about getting studded snow tires for the Insight.

The closest I got to the P165/65R14 spec in the
    book was: P175/65R14.

Has anyone replaced the OEM tire with something
    like this?

Thanks
  • GOHEV Southern California Hybrid Gathering re-scheduled.
    http://members.nbci.com/gohev/gohev.htm

At the request of a several people, because of proximity to
    Christmas, the GOHEV, (gathering of hybrid electric vehicles)
    originally scheduled on Dec. 23rd, has been moved to Sunday, January
    7th 2001 at Griffith Park, in Los Angeles, CA.
    There has been a great response to this event so far.
    Edmunds.com has offered to give out shirts, mugs and other goodies.
    A representative from Toyota will be joining us as well.
    So far, both Toyota Prius and Honda Insight owners will be there.
    Actor Ed Begley Jr. emailed to say he might also be joining us.
    Hopefully he’ll have his EV1 with him.
    A writer from Entertainment Today will also be there for a story and
    pictures.

This will be in a picnic/BBQ area, so you can bring food, Frisbees etc.
    The Grills are in the park. Expect 65 to 70 degree temps. (updates coming)
    The gathering will be from 12:00 noon till the early evening.

Anyone owning or interested in owning any type of alternative fueled
    vehicle is invited.

Please email gohev@email.com for specific directions and registration.

Please let us know if you will attend, and how many people are in
    your party.
    Hope to see you there!
  • I have been driving an Insight since July. I love it. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and recently took the Insight on a trip across the UP on my way to visit my family. We have approximately 1 to 2 feet of snow here depending on the area and the car drove just fine. One has to adjust to the narrow wheel base and the lightness of the car but it pulled me through 10 inches of snow on the ground in some areas and I never lost control. I was thrilled with the performance of the car. Now, my gas mileage did go down to around 56 miles to a gallon, I am used to getting closer to 72 miles to a gallon on long trip but I believe this was due to the colder weather and the drag of the snow and slush. As I stated before, I have never regretted buying this car and I still stand by that statement.
  • Please be sure to tell us how the Insight event goes!

carlady/host
  • I have had several problems with my Insight. I have had the car at the dealer for 24 days since the middle of September. They have diagnosed the problem as a bad computer. However, there are no parts available for the repair. My milage has dropped from 66 to about 52 since the "problem". The engine does get hot enough to be effecient. The gauges are not working properly on the dash. Did I mention that I had almost no heat. That is very helpful in Illinois this time of year.

Is anyone else having problems?
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    Hey Insight owners, I'm happy with my Civic but want to trade up to a Insight one day.
    philring (and all) what do you think ?

--
    Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
    http://freeweb.pdq.net/rfruth

1981 Raleigh for commuting, errands & fun
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun !
    2000 DX Civic hatchback
  • None of the Honda dealers i've talked with have heard about the so called
    $2000 tax credit for buying a Honda--can someone tell me the straight
    scoop on this?

THanks!
    Dasteph
  • #68, My Honda dealer was the one that told me about the tax credit... it's supposed to be a $2500 credit for purchasing a ULEV.

I love my Insight... I just got it 2 weeks ago and I think $20K isn't excessive for progressive thinking. We need to start using alternative fuel sources and this is a good start. And I'll save $200/mo in gas now so the car will practically pay for itself. I went over 500 miles on my first tank and it took me $13 to fill it up. Can't beat that!
  • One day left. If you are in the driving distance of Los Angeles, please click the link below for info and directions to the largest gathering of hybrid cars ever.
    Join us, its a picnic/BBQ!

http://members.nbci.com/gohev/
  • Here is a link to the GOHEV-1 pictures from Griffith Park, Los Angeles on Sunday Jan 7th
    http://communities.msn.com/GOHEV
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    Thanks Jim, your photo album of the GOHEV gathering is great ! Wish I could have gone. There seems to be a large percentage of Toyota Priuses, also was there any interest from the big three ?

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
    http://freeweb.pdq.net/rfruth

1981 Raleigh for commuting, errands & fun
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun !
    2000 5 speed Civic hatchback
  • heavywheavyw Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2000 insight. It's red, and comes with a cd player, cruise control, and air conditioning. the dealer wants 100.00 over invoice, for a total $18,700.00. Does this seem like a good deal to all of you out there? To me i will be saving about 120-140 dollars a month in gas expenses. which should equal about half of the monthly payment. let me know what you think.
  • Honda CD Changer addition:
    I managed to find a CD Changer from a third party for quite a bit less than the dealer price. Now the mystery unfolds- does anyone have information on the following:

I know where the changer is to be located- does it somehow make use of the styrofoam filler currently there, or is there another way to fasten/mount it?

How do you access the thing with the luggage well in place, or do you have to remove this to change disk cartridges?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Phil Stewart #3842
  • Any Insight owners use their vehicle to transport their kayak and/or bike using roof racks? I want a new vehicle that is efficient but that can haul my toys around when I please. Been looking at pickups but am appalled at the low gas mileage. Thanx in advance.
  • iskraeiskrae Posts: 2
    I'm on the verge of buying an Insight. Will probably buy anyway, but I'm looking for service info. The IMA battery is covered for 8yr/80K mi. Nobody can tell me how often one can expect to replace it. NiMH doesn't last forever. I have found it costs about $1900 for a full battery assembly, but would love to know how often to expect to lay that much out! Anybody know?
  • iskraeiskrae Posts: 2
    The information I read on the tax credit (from E&Y Tax Guide) is that the credit is for the purchase of a vehicle whose primary source of power is electric. The Insight is primary gas. So is the Insight disqualified, although it's still ULEV?
  • dasteph94dasteph94 Posts: 20
    A local dealer here in Columbus, Ohio is now telling me they will sell
    an Insight for $16,900 just to get rid of them(they aren't flying off the lots
    exactly!)

They must still be making something, so don't let your local dealers
    hoodwink you with "we have to sell for MSRP" stuff
  • denniswadedenniswade Posts: 362
    the dealer is bearing the cost of the discount -- it's surely a factory incentive.

Honda loses money on every one of those they sell -- as does Toyota, with the Prius.
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    at a dealer in central NJ. Hmm...are they selling or not? Is the CVT available yet?
  • evsxlr8evsxlr8 Posts: 1
    I don't know where you can get 144V NiMH packs for $1900. They are way more expensive - only lead acid are within this price range
This discussion has been closed.