Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Kia Sorento

Comments

• 1hhead1hhead Posts: 18
    aggie94, Am shopping for this exact trim level... Was there a trade-in on this deal?

Many thanks.
  • doug35doug35 Posts: 5
    We recently test drove a base EX with the 6-Speed Manual Tranny. Very impressive power considering how heavy this fairly large SUV is! Big improvement in every respect compared to our older model Sorento (even though we still like that one too). 29 MPG on the highway makes this a pretty compelling alternative showing how far Kia/Hyundai has come in their internal combustion engine technology. Very nice vehicle for the money, but we are still going to wait for bigger rebates - with Kia, you can count on it.
  • As a Costco member the Costco Auto Program identified a dealer for me in MD who could get me exactly what I wanted.

Took the train one way to MD from Pittsburgh PA to be picked up by the dealer at the station in the car I wanted to buy and was on my way back in 2 hours. Thanks to Costco and King Auto in Gaithersburg MD.

About the SUV - excellent for the price I paid with 2K discount and an additional Costco discount - EX 4x2 with premium package and third row seating cost me only 24350.00 before taxes and tags. I had to spend about additional 200 for going there and driving it back - of course added about 300 miles on the car from MD.

It has been 3 days and wonder why people tailgate all the time - realized they want to see what make the car is - as it looks sturdy and a well designed SUV on the road. Drives very good - pickup as expected from a 4 Cyl vehicle . I am sure 6 cyl will be much better but less gas mileage and additional 2 K for KIA dissuaded me.

The only task I have to get done is get the inspection stickers on the vehicle as per PA state law which will cost me additional 50 dollars.

But price wise no PA dealer could beat the price - It is new had 80 miles on it when I took delivery of the vehicle.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    can any of the new Sorie owners answer this question(s):

what is the recommended maintenance intervals on the 11 Sorie.....the early models had the vehicle in the shop every 30K for something, trans or diff fluid change, 60K for tuneup and timing belt change.....etc......have an 03 Sorie with 125K on it but repair intervals were often and expensive in order to maintain the 100K drive train warranty. Front dif failed on the AWD at 105K and dealer wanted nearly 4.5K to replace it.....stated it couldnt be rebuilt.....took it to an independent shop who rebuilt it and installed for 1K out the door....

what does the 11 owners manual recommend for fluid changes, timing belt, and plugs.....just curious....
  • I'm out of town right now and in my company car so don't have the manual in front of me. If nobody else responds by the time I get home on Friday I'll do so. I did look at it briefly and saw nothing that bothered me. I pretty much do all my own maintenance though so don't spend a lot of time running to Kia for it. I document my oil changes and etc. and never had any problems at all with them refusing any warranty work on the 2004 that I traded in.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide should match the manual.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

2011 maintenance schedule not posted yet online
    thanks....no really concerned about the oil changes...but rather the differential fluids, timing belt, and plugs.....my 03 EX required dif fluid changes every 22.5k, coolant flush at 30K, timing belt and plugs at 60K. To me that is often and expensive for the dealer to do...In addition...some of the earlier Sories required Kia Red fluids only sold at the dealer and not available after market for the difs and trans....It was also a royal pain to change the plugs as it seemed you had to disassemble the engine to get to them....thus a larger labor cost...

average 20-25K a year on a car...and these intervals come up quickly....my other vehicles..(all GM) dont required any major maintenance until the 100K mark as recommended.....I however do fluid flushes every 50K as a rule...
  • robbiegrobbieg Posts: 327
    Ok, I am sort of confused. What are the Sorento's competition. I know Sante Fe, and Equinox. What Ford, Edge or Escape? What Honda, CR-V or Pilot, What Toyota, Rav4 or Highlander? Any others?
  • luvwowluvwow Posts: 11
    rav 4,crv are consided utes I believe and would be competive models for kia sportage or the new tuscon the smaller cars I did test drive the 2010 tuscon
    really liked it but too small for our family no third row.

hylander is considered a comparable for the sorento we have had one since 2001 been a good suv for us getting old time to replace soon.

good luck on your search for new car

fin :)
  • With Price, gas mileage, and passenger space as big factors, I was only able to identify the RAV4 with three rows as competition. Nothing else came close on those three factors. KIA rocks in 2011! I didn't even test drive cars with under 25 mpg highway.

I'm noticing the base price for the 2011 has now gone UP. Maybe KIA has decided they weren't charging enough?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,900
    The Sorento is sort of an in-between ute.

In 2 row form, it'll go up against the CRV, RAV, Equinox, Forester, et al. The RAV's 3rd row is so small, I wouldn't consider it.

In 3 row form, it'll go up against the Santa Fe and Outlander - both available with 3 rows.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    Sorry, I didn't click through far enough.

Kia supposedly has them online, but you have to register and be an owner (I assume they ask for the VIN and perhaps other info).

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• luvwowluvwow Posts: 11
    2010 santa fe is not getting third row is what the dealer told me when test driving so if you are looking for third row you can take this one off your list if that is requirement it is for us for additional kids or adults I have tried the third row in outlander and santa fe in 2009 models vs the third row in 2011 kia sorento so much better in the kia sorento my six foot husband has room for his knees and his head in the kia.

fin :blush: :)
  • Just wondering if anyone got any good lease offers for the two trims?

Im looking for something 36 mths, 10k, $0 money down just taxes/reg/fees up front.. interested to see if theres a good program for February.

Thanks all !
  • The best thing is to go to kia.com and click on "Special Offers" in the upper menu. They ask you to enter your zip code to see what offers are available in your area. They do show a special lease offer for my area but it includes a cost reduction payment up front. It may vary where you are though.
  • I'm very intrigued by your comments about possible "a la carte" ordering of options. It's frustrating to think that, in order to get the upgraded sound system, I've got to take the overpriced installed navigation system and other things from that package.

Also, what's with the inability to have the roof rails with the sunroof? Why is that an either/or situation? :confuse:
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    The Sorento packages are indeed a little strange. For example, you can only get the V6 with the EX package. If you get the V6 EX, then you have to get the third row seats. If you don't want the third row seats you have to get the 4 cylinder engine. You have a choice of either the moon roof or the entertainment package, but if you get the navigation you don't get the roof rails with the moon roof. However, if you don't get the navigation, you can have both the roof rails and the moon roof. That weird combination of options has me looking at the Hyundai Santa Fe which is the same vehicle with totally different options, a V6 and no third row seat.
  • Yep, I agree completely. I bought EX with convenience package. That gave me everything I wanted with the exception of the V6 engine. I hope that Kia reconsiders this issue and will offer the V6 as a stand alone option in the future. If they do though, I will end up with a bit of buyer's remorse but I can live with that. The fact is, I seldom drive the Sorento as I bought it primarily for my wife and she is perfectly happy with the 4 cylinder. I will put a hitch on it but it will be used mostly for a receiver mounted bike rack. There are very rare occasions though when I pull a utility type trailer with a large motorcycle on it. I travel a lot on business and will once in a while run across a good deal on a motorcycle that I will buy, restore and sell. I use the Sorento to go get those bikes. They are usually large touring type bikes and the weight of the trailer and the bike would be very close to the max trailer towing capacity of the 4 cylinder Sorento. My '04 Sorento did a fantastic job for this but I don't know how the '11 is going to handle it. It's usually only once or twice a year though.
  • klrssklrss Posts: 25
    Just wanted to stop in and say I just bought a new 2011 Kia Sorento EX with Premium Package 1. I got it for my wife and she loves it! I have always been a GM man...mostly buying Chevrolet. After going to the Houston Auto Show, we took note of the Kia, and mainly because we liked the rear A/C vents for the kids.
    We decided to go with the Equinox, so we went to our Local Dealer here in NW Houston and test drove one. We liked it, and actually went in to work a deal. When the Chevy sales guy set the offer down on the table showing sticker price, I was floored! He said they were selling really well, and so they were not moving off of the sticker. I could not believe what I was hearing!! Chevy finally gets a car that seems to be a winner and so when customers come in to support the brand that took bailout money just to stay in business, they show their appreciation by telling them " Pay sticker or dont buy!!" Well, Homey dont play dat!
    I told the guy I needed to go drive Kia, since he was wanting sticker. He said he would see about any lease offers and would appreciate getting the last chance at the deal once we finish driving the Kia. He walked us out and told me " I want to try to keep you in an American car, and I know you have always been loyal to Chevy, so come back and see me". Whatever!
    Me and the wife got a bite to eat then headed over to Kia...found a nice one, test drove it and WOW...we were impressed! GREAT features were included, nice quiet ride..it really shocked us! We found ourselves actually thinking about NOT going back to chevy and seeing if we can deal on the Kia. That is what we did! We got a little over a grand off the sticker, got the 1,000 rebate, and got what I wanted for my trade! Image that! Kia...who is selling a totally redesigned auto, just like chevy is, and Kia is selling them for under sticker! Oh, and there were PLENTY of folks there that day test driving all sorts of Kia's including the Sorento, so even though the Sorento was selling well, they are not ripping off buyers!
    The chevy sales dude called and left me a message and told me he hadn't seen me and wanted to know if I had gone with the Kia. I called him back and told him we DID buy from Kia, and they DID come off their sticker and worked the deal we wanted!
    I am really dissapointed in the whole chevy attitude...."lets stick it to the faithful who are actually coming into our dealerships". That is why they needed the bailout.
    When I jumped on the Kia site and started polking around I saw they have a HUGE plant in Georgia...I told my wife " Hey we just supported the jobs of Americans working in Georgia..go us!" ha!
    Anyway, hope everyone enjoys their Kia Sorento and I will be checking in every now and then to keep up with any issues the 2011 might develop and read about everyones experiences and tips.
    Good luck with the new vehicle - I'm going to look at one as well.

As for the Equinox, please keep a couple of things in mind:

It is selling well - in fact many dealers are sold out and taking orders. That's a good thing for the Chevy dealers. It allows them to make a profit on at least one model. Begruding a business a profit is kind of un-American IMHO.

As for the bailout comment, that's GM - not the dealer. They aren't connected other than the dealer selling the brand.

Remember, it's the market that determines the price. Right now the market says Equinoxes are sticker and Sorentos are discounted.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,016
    It always gives me a chuckle when I read of someone getting all upset at a dealer because they won't budge on a hot vehicle and think they are greedy. Well of course they are....who isn't if they run a business. It's like we, the car buyers, aren't greedy? Don't we try to find out exactly what the dealer paid for the car and get them to sell it to us for that or less if all possible?

What if we had a used car that we were trying to sell and all of a sudden if become really hot(say high mpg car and gas prices go sky high). Would we raise the price we were asking for it or would we say out of principle I'm going to sell it for $$$ less than I know I can get for it. I think we would try to get what we could for it. So does that make us evil. Hey, if they don't sell many they will lower their price.....it's called supply and demand.
  • We are buying a new car for the first time in 20 years. After deciding on the category (CUV or smaller SUV) with AWD, we looked at the Ford Escape, the Dodge Journey, the GM twins, the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Kia Sorento.

The Ford was crossed off first as being dated, although my spouse liked the available auto park feature. It also felt too small. I did like the separate glass in the tailgate.

She crossed off the Dodge as "feels cheap inside." I agree - the shift knob felt loose and the plastic armrests too hard.

We liked the Santa Fe, but felt that the more modern 6 speed transmissions of the remaining cars made more sense as we do a fair amount of freeway driving. My wife did not care for the front seats as much as the other cars.

So, it was down to Equinox, Terrain and Sorento. In as much as I think dash lighting should be red (for night vision), the Equinox was eliminated.

Both the Terrain and Sorento drive well. However, I felt the forward and side visibility were better in the Sorento. Also, it is a wider vehicle thus providing a little more room inside for passengers.

With the exception of the power lift gate, we felt the Sorento offers more features for the same money. Plus, the styling cues are the latest - see Acura and Cadillac. We plan to buy one.

Here is where it gets interesting and frustrating. We live in both Canada and the United States. We prefer to register the car in Canada given citizenship and resident status (both of us are American citizens - my wife has a Canadian passport and I have Canadian Permanent Resident status).

We were told by the dealer who sells both Chevy and Kia that he cannot sell us a car that will be exported to Canada, either brand, or he could lose his franchise(s). Both cars cost approximately $5,300 USD more for the top of the line models in Canada than in the US . Further, if we do try to import either car without first registering it in the US, there will be no warranty for either make.

None of this has anything to do with the governments of either country. Importing a car into either country is relatively simple and straight forward. In fact, the dollar difference is even greater for more expensive vehicles - we were told that Corvettes are $40,000 more in Alberta than Washington State.

It is particularly galling with the GM twins as the cars are assembled in Ontario (Ontario actually produced more cars last year than Michigan). There is a Canadian Auto Workers sticker in the GM products' glove boxes. That said, it seems that all models of all makes are 15-20% more expensive north of the "line" wherever built.

A VP of GM Canada told me that they checked the competition to make sure that they are competitive. Further, he said that the differential in MSRP is long standing and that the loonie was not always as high against the greenback.

With respect to the latter, this is nonsense. The loonie has been above 80 cents US for over three years.

With respect to the former, it sounds as if GM (and their "domestic" counterparts) are not interested in recapturing market share. In essence, the manufacturers have decided to collude in screwing their Canadian customers and / or dump product on the US market.

A final thought. Kia's Canadian warranty is much less than in the US. It is 5 years / 100,000 kilometers and 5 year on perforation, 10 years / 100,000 miles and 7 years. I was told that if I bought a Kia in the states (and presumably registered it there) I would have the US warranty until it was registered in Canada. Then, it would become the Canadian warranty. If I brought the car back to the US for registration, it would revert to the US warranty.

I will find a way to buy a Kia, get a warranty and register it in Canada. I may have to wait until there is a used vehicle - it seems the manufacturers aren't running a dealer protection racket on used cars.

In the meantime, if a Kia dealer in the US reads this and is willing to provide written assurances regarding warranties on a new car, price it competitively and not require registration (other than temporary, thus eliminating any sales taxes - those will be paid in Canada) in the US, let me know. Alternatively, if there is a Canadian dealer that won't stick it to Canadian residents, please respond.

Finally, to all Canadians, start raising hell about this unfair treatment. You have better things to do with your money. Vote with your feet and wallets.
    The situation you describe regarding cross border purchasing has been an issue for many years.

Back around 2000 or so, a Canadian market Honda Odyssey was about 30% less in sticker price/exhange rate than the US market version. That led many US dealers to go up and buy Odysseys at full list in Canada and re-sell them in the US at the full US MSRP. The caveat was no manufacturer warranty. But since Odysseys were a 3 month wait or ADM in the US at the time, many people decided to by the grey market cars.

AFAIK, almost all manufacturers impose this restriction on their dealers. Yes it is designed to protect dealerships and markets. IMHO, it's their product - they can impose the restriction. It's frustrating, but you aren't going to change it easily.

And no - it has nothing to do with NAFTA. NAFTA is strictly for manufacturers. It isn't designed to make things easier for the consumer.
    can anyone tell me what the recommended maintenance intervals are for the new 11 Sorie....oil changes, dif and trans fluids, timing belt, and plugs.....in order to maintain the warranty
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    generally every 7500 miles, no timing belt to replace as they use a chain on both engines; engine coolant at 60,000 miles; replace air cleaner element and spark plugs (2.4L) at 30,000 (105,000 on 3.5L); replace engine coolant at 60,000 and 90,000; other items are generally inspections and lubrication of various items.

could show you the full chart but don't know how to do it on this site (on most other forums you can download photos direct from your computer)

You can download all the info from the KGIS (www.kiatechinfo.com) site, as I got this info from the Features and function Guide (in pdf 6.1 mb). You can also view a complete breakdown of all the components of the vehicle.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,016
    replace air cleaner element and spark plugs (2.4L) at 30,000

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a car that has required the plugs to be changed anywhere close to that early. Does anybody know the reason? Especially comparing to the V6 change at 105k.
  • Haha! I liked your post klrss!

Homie don't play that! That's so 90's awesomeness! LOL

Anyhow, I'm glad you did well with the Sorento. I know dealers need to make money, but coming from klrss's perspective, I could understand his point of view. Dealers should try to work with their customers when the customer insists on being loyal! I hope Kia dealers don't treat their customers that way as I know their new lineup of cars are looking very sweet and it's only going to get better!
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    this doesn't make sense to me either, I have a '08 Rondo with a 2.4L and it recommends you change the plugs at 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Maybe its a typo, I can't download the owners manual from their website yet as its not posted, maybe an owner to confirm this or dealer.
    Thanks for the feedback...seems KIA has greatly improved upon their required maintenance intervals now in order to maintain the factory warranty....really glad to see no long a need to replace the time belt....and the plug change intervals are now 100K.....will check the dif fluid changes as well....as they were very frequent as well.....again thanks all....this brings the Sorie back into the picture now.....was against it based on the experience I had with my 03 and required maintenance...