Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Kia Sorento

Comments

• lok888lok888 Posts: 1,753
    they probably got it wrong. new Sorentos (for US markets) are being bulit in Georgia plant. the Hyundai Santa Fe will be built in the same plant later this year.
  • we just bought one also that has factory installed car starter, however, can't figure out to start it using the remote. Any ideas.
  • Okay, just figured it out. You have to press the lock button and then press the start button within 3 seconds.
  • "usually after a corner i push on the gas and nothing happens. if you lift off the gas pedal and get back on it, it starts to pull normally."

This is normal because if the car detects the higher than recommended speed when cornering, ESC and Traction Control systems kick in and shutsdown the gas supply to avoid the rollover.
  • "The car has a great deal of rolling resistance. It's almost like you are driving with your foot on the break. It appears to be the transmission."

If it is happening when cornering or on a slippery surface, then it is normal because when car detects the higher than recommended speed when cornering or when car detects a slippery surface, ESC and traction control system kicks in and shutsdown the gas supply for safety reasons.
  • We bought a Kia Sorrento back during the President Day sales in February. I do not recommend buying this Vehicle. It was against our judgment because there wasn't a dealer within 80+ Miles of our house, but as we had a family member that worked for a dealership, we decided to buy it as it was well advertised. Throughout our short-lived ownership, the vehicle went to the dealership several times to have recall work done on the ECM module, and also to have an issue with the climate control module not working repaired. Finally in July, my wife was on a road trip on the highway and it caught on fire under the hood. Thank goodness somebody passing by noticed as none of the gauges on the dashboard indicated that anything wrong was occurring. She was fortunate that she didn't have our kids and she got out safely. Kia only called us once just to see if we were ok, but never offered any help. Needless to say, we own a Subaru Outback now as the replacement and haven't had an issue with it yet.
  • We bought a Kia Sorrento back during the President Day sales in February. I do not recommend buying this Vehicle. It was against our judgment because there wasn't a dealer within 80+ Miles of our house, but as we had a family member that worked for a dealership, we decided to buy it as it was well advertised. Throughout our short-lived ownership, the vehicle went to the dealership several times to have recall work done on the ECM module, and also to have an issue with the climate control module not working repaired. Finally in July, my wife was on a road trip on the highway and it caught on fire under the hood. Thank goodness somebody passing by noticed as none of the gauges on the dashboard indicated that anything wrong was occurring. She was fortunate that she didn't have our kids and she got out safely. Kia only called us once just to see if we were ok, but never offered any help. Needless to say, we own a Subaru Outback now as the replacement and haven't had an issue with it yet.
  • moymoy Posts: 7
    We purchased a SX V6 about 3 weeks ago. So far no issues and everything has been great. I drive a mix of highway and city and average about 21MPG so far with about 2500 miles on it.

I also have a co-worker who bought one before me and loved it and that was the main reason we test drove one and eventually bought it.
  • Wow... a terrible experience! We have had NO problems with our Sorento... in fact we absolutely love it, still. We got a Sorento SX (built in September 2010), so perhaps these issues have been ironed out with successive builds? Any car company is going to produce lemons. Consumer Reports actually rates predicted new car reliability as slightly above average for the Sorento.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    wonder if anyone else in snow climates has noticed that the 2011 sorento is terrible in snow. ive driven here in minnesota since 1967, have had alot of different vehicles over the years and the sorento rates dangerous on snow. im thinking its the tires. you hit the brakes and nothing. drove my miata in the snow toaday and it put the sorento to shame. the sorento has been great other than this. needs a different brand tire
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    Yes the Sorento FWD is terrible in the snow. If I lived in Minnesota I wouldn't consider anything but 4WD or AWD and buy snow tires for winter use. I am assuming you have the FWD with the Kumho low rolling resitance tires. Those tires are awful in the snow. I wish that I would have kept my 2004 Moutaineer AWD V8 with All Terrain Suv tires. That sucker would plow through anything.
    good to know im not alone. ive had many fwds and have never had trouble with them in the snow til this one. it just wont stop!
    any else had this. i noticed yesterday that the drivers outside door handle, which is a large metal chrome piece, is turning green like cheap jewelry. white and green streaks down the door. i washed it off and today its back. ive never heard of anything like this. im hoping the warranty will replace the door handle.
    Do you have a 2011? I haven't noticed this problem at all. And yes if it's within the warranty period which I think is 5 years/50K Miles it should be covered. Not sure what the length of time and mileage the basic bumper to bumper warranty is though. I had the leather Driver seat on a 2003 Sonata start cracking at about 30,000 miles and Hyundai replaced. Also, I just remembered that the chrome inside passenger door handle started peeling which they replaced.
    its a 2011. 13k miles. ill have to have them take a look at it. never seen anything like it on a car.
  • ennyenny Posts: 1
    I find that the auto headlight detector is too sensitive. It turns the lights on way too soon even in the daytime. As to the driving ability in snow and ice, I found the Sorento fine in the heavy snow and ice conditions in the northeast this year. It's a heavy car and maybe the stopping problems are caused by Newton's Law. Of course better winter tires would make a big difference. I had to use the 4WD pushbutton once to get out of a bad parking space but how many cars even have this option? I used to own an Explorer which had excellent snow and ice qualities but the tires that you drove on all year long were practically snow tires. As for price paid: $29995 for an SX with sunroof and cargo cover and netting if cash, $1000 more with 36 month 0% loan. Don't get extended warrantee. Not worth it. Consumer reports did study and even cars with lousy reliability didn't use the money spent on the warrantee. Car bought in the Bronx at City World Kia.
  • havnt noticed that with auto headlight too much but do notice you have to turn lights on manually in rain or snow. ive had gm cars before and headlights go on with wipers. i would have liked the sx but ex v6 was top of the line when i bought mine. people at kia tell me kumho kl tires are the ones not good on snow. they get alot of complaints here. if i keep it thru next winter ill have to change out tires. ive always gotten factory 100k waranties ans come out pretty well on them but with kia having 5/60 on everything i wont keep it longer tha n that.
  • Stopping has nothing to do with AWD, 4x4 or FWD on snow. It is a function of momentum and traction helped by antilock brakes. I just bought a new Sorento and put my daughters through it's paces first. The AWD gives excellent traction in snow even if you stop on a steep slope and start in snow 8 to 12" deep. It comes up the back way 16% grade with ease even in snow. Stopping was no problem much easier than our ex Yukon 4x4 (less weight). Acceleration is a function of AWD and 4x4. If you have 4x4 and limited slip don't try off camber. AWD it's a breeze.

In our part of the country we have chain restrictions for the mountain areas except for 4x4 and AWD with approved snow tires under most conditions. Our Honda CRV does great in the snow and expect the Sorento to exceed it. I keep the jeep with gnarly tire and lockers front and rear for the fun stuff and it slides real good on it's toboggans.

Driving in snow requires skill and the ability to think ahead something a car does not help with.
  • seems in minnesota many say sorento has as bad of traction as anything yet some have no problems. maybe its not tires. i dont know what it is but ive driven here for 43 years and this sorento is dangerous. it wont stop. ive tried different tire pressures but it doesnt matter. when it snows we drive one of the other cars. feel lucky that yours is good on ice and snow.
    edited February 2011
    I never said anything about stopping ability. I mean mainly traction. I do believer the tires Sorento uses does have a little to do with stopping in snow. Ours is definitely not good for traction or stopping. Our 2004 Mountaineer V8 AWD had shorter stopping distances than our Sorento V6 FWD, but did have all terrain tires on it. I would say it has something to do with the tires combined with the weight of the vehicle. I think the fact that the Mountaineer weighed a good bit more helped push the vehicle deeper into the snow which allowed the tires to obtain a better grip. Maybe you were responding to someone else. If so, I apologize.
  • 5gs5gs Posts: 1
    I've been looking at the Sorento SX AWD. I really like the look and the way it drives.

The one area that concerns me is getting in/out of the 3rd row seat. I have small kids (8 yrs old) that would need to sit in the 3rd row. Moving the 2nd row seat up and down manually might be a bit much for an 8 yr old.

Any thoughts/experience with this?
    Also would be nice to have a remote power option for the lift gate.
    I strongly recommend you avoid the Sorento if you intend to use the third row much. I have an EX and the third row is totally useless in my opinion. Even in the 2004 Mountaineer I had, the third row was only good for a short trip and it was at least a foot longer. I would have prefered that they left the third row as an option for the V6 because I think putting it in a vehicle this small is a joke. I would seriously consider a Mini Van or something like a Chevy traverse/GMC Acadia instead. These vehicles are much more family friendly.
  • We will have a good week for further testing as we are expected to get up to 2 feet of snow by Sat. We are having a beautiful snow now and I will be going down and up the back way tomorrow to the doctors from 7,000' to about 3,000' with its's 16% grades. The Sorento has Kumho M/S tires which I liked on the Honda.

I have about 250,000 miles experience driving in snow from northern Michigan oilfields to the Arctic under pretty hazardous conditions. Tire stopping ability has a lot to do with the rubber compound used in the tire and not losing traction in the first place. The Blizzack tire has great traction and stopping but tread life is awful.

I live in Big Bear Lake, CA in the San Bernardino mountains. Since we are a four season resort we get our far share of idiots up here, flatlanders. I also teach off roading on the world class back diamond trails up here. Black Diamond trails are those that require a heavily modified vehicle with at least 4 to 6' of lift, lockers, 33'+ tires etc. Even then some damage is to be expected. Doing Gold Mt. after a foot of snow is quite a trip - in my 1990 Jeep.

We will see how I do this week and I will give a report and compare it to several 4x4 Ford F-250's, 4x4 Blazer, 4x4 Yukon, $x4 F250 Diesel, Honda CRV AWD and Ford AWD Escapes (which suck even with Goodyears best AT tire).
  • I bought the 2011 Kia Sorento SX. It quit on me WHILE DRIVING with only 300 miles on it. Roadside assistance was of little help as they didn't have me in their computer. Service said the battery was run down. Next, the dashboard, doors and right rear end started rattling . I took it in and the AFTER MARKET tow bar that they installed was hitting the muffler, They said they fixed it. Driving home the dashboard started rattling again. I decided to wait a couple weeks to see what else was going to happen. Next, at times when I made a sharp left hand turn the underneath would make loud clunking noises. In addition, when I accelerate and move out into traffic many times the car will hesitate..nothing happens, then I try and give it more gas and it lunges forward at a high speed. The car rides rough with a lot of wind/road noise and and is not enjoyable to drive. On rough roads, parts underneath the car hit one another (probably my aftermarket tow bar hitting anything in its vicinity.) I don't like the weak sounding power windows, they whine in motion. All in all, I'm very dissatisfied. I wanted to buy American but Kia has destroyed my loyalty. Who tests these cars anyway? Kia, make better products and they will be easier to stand behind. What good is a warranty when you have the inconvenience of constant repairs. The thrill of having a new car was totally missed. My condolences to others in my position.
  • sorry to hear youre having so many problems. i know its not much fun. luckily mine has been great so far. also kia isnt an american car. assembled in georgia by a korean company with a small percentage of north american parts.
  • karchkarch Posts: 42
    Which dealer, can I ask? There are so few out here.
  • Kia Depot, Santa Ana. Watch out for the financing they insist you take.
    Also, they tried adding another $499 and called it dealer prep. What? They hadn't even washed the car when we test drove it. I had a trade and made them give me $400 dollars more for my trade.
  • dann0dann0 Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Simon, did you even test drive the car? Some of the things you are complaining about are things anyone would have noticed immediately when test driving. How did this escape your detection until after you purchased the car?

If you only have 300 miles on the vehicle, then it's highly likely the issues you are reporting were present from the start and did not suddenly appear a short time later.
  • mjbuppmjbupp Posts: 1
    Interesting... we have a Sorento SX V6 AWD. It is BY FAR the best handling vehicle in the snow we've ever had. And we live in the snow belt in upstate New York. 18 Kumho low rolling resistance tires. And I'm not talking just about accelerating. Cornering, stopping, best ever.
    edited April 2011
    I saw on a Kia website where the latest version of the Sorento will have Heated/Cooled front seats and Heated Passenger seats as available options. If I had only waited another year before I bought my EX. Since purchasing they added the SX and now the above options which would be excellent when it's 95 degrees with my black leather seats and having heated passenger seats would be great. The SX is beautiful though I still think my EX is good looking. The SX looks better in one color without the black cladding and the front and back ends look better than the EX. Plus I read somewhere where Kia did some fine tuning on the suspension so the ride wasn't so harsh over bumps. I guess it's the risk you take when you buy a total redesign in it's first edition.