Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Kia Sorento

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    yes...absolutely you can use another dealer....
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    Does it bother anyone out there that bought a new 2011 Sorento EX w/Leather that the new 2011 Sportage w/Leather has not only heated leather, but also the drivers seat is cooled? I just about went nuts when I learned the sportage got this option. I will be reminded every time we get into our Black Leather interior and it's about 120 degrees inside our Sorento. It will be comforting to know that Kia thought that the vehicle that can cost upwards of $36,000 when fully loaded wasn't worth adding this option while that driver in the 2011 sportage will be in total seat cooling comfort at about $10K less. When it's 95 degrees as it has been many times this summer and I sit on the BLACK leather in my Sorento and arrive to my destination with my pants seat and my shirt soaking wet with sweat the knife will just twist a little more in my back. Of course, now Kia will probably add it to the 2012 sold in probably early 2011 Sorentos.
  • lok888lok888 Posts: 1,749
    Not sure if there is a huge different. I feel fine with my Sorento with tan leather. It does heat up my back a bit with the summer heat. But it doesn't bother much. I do put a seat cusion on my seat for more comfort. Still wondering that there is no power front passenger seat for the new Sportage and Sorento. Hope they will add that (and HID headlamps and power liftgate) on the next year model.
    edited August 2010
    Still wondering that there is no power front passenger seat for the new Sportage and Sorento.

Don't count on the power passenger seat. Not too many vehicles in this class have it. Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Ford Escape, and Chevy Equinox all have manual adjustable passenger seats or at least they did in the 2010 model year. It seams like it would be a no brainer that the customer would be willing to spend a little more for that option. I had it in my Mountaineer I traded for the Sorento. It was one a several things that I had to give up when I moved down in size and price point to buy a vehicle in this class. The other major option I gave up and sorely miss is the memory driver seat. That is the one thing over the power passenger that I would love to have. My wife adjusts it the way she wants and when I had it in for service the service tech must have been 6' 4", but I have a terrible time re-adjusting it so that it's comfortable for me. Also, when I removed the key from the ignition of the Mountaineer the seat automatically went back 2 or 3 inches which made it easier to get into and out of.
  • Just purchased my 11 Sorento LX 4cylinder 6 days ag o and have already put over 1000 miles on it. I took a 600 mile road trip in it this weekend and averaged 25mpg. I really put this thing through the ringer and was impressed. The driving conditions varied from prolonged 80mph cruising to stop and go traffic and even some light off roading and the sorento took it all. I admit i was skeptical to buy a kia but couldn't pass up the bargin price, now i feel very confident in my purchase.
  • Will there be a difference in trade in value on a 2011 Sorento purchased in 2010 vs.
    a 2011 Sorento purchased in 2011?
    I know that they skipped the 2010 model so that in 2011 the Sorento could be two
    years old.
  • a 2011 sorento is a 2011 sorento no matter when it was built. that is a big advantage to a person who trades alot. bought mine in march 2010 and can drive it a year and a half and still have a current year car to trade.
  • Yes but if you look at the vin # it will tell you if it was built in 2010 or 2011.
    I would rather buy the one that was built in 2011.
    So if I buy a 2011 this Jan. and trade in 2012 it will be 1 yr. old while yours will be 2 years old.
    Am I wrong to wait? .
  • they will both be worth the same. they are all B vin codes, which means 2011 so unless you happen to know where the sequence numbers ended off at the end of the year , which they wouldnt, you wouldnt be able to tell by the vin.
  • Am considering purchase of a 2011 6 cyl Sorento. I live in the Northeast where we have snowy winters. Will a FWD be sufficient? I'd rather not have to spend the extra $$ for an AWD if I don't have to, since I'll be moving to FL in a few years and taking this vehicle w/me. My current vehicle (a car, not an SUV) works fine with just FWD, but I don't know how an SUV would do with just FWD. ???
  • we get plenty of snow in minnesota and fwd has always gotten me thru. im sure awd would get thru even better but for the extra cost, maintanance and lower mileage the fwd works for me.
    My views of the 2011 Sorento EX V6 FWD that I have owned for several months have dramatically changed. The following is a message I posted on the Hyundai Santa Fe Forums in which I was replying under the thread Visor falls off:

What a coincidence. I have a 2011 Kia Sorento and the same exact thing happened to me when I flipped the visor down in my driveway just two days ago. It was still hooked into the clip, but the post that is inserted in the hole in the headliner came completely out. I consider the two the same vehicle. I reported this to a representative at Kia Motors, not my local dealership, today. Of course, the representative at Kia said she had never heard of this issue. This is just one of the growing list of problems that I have with this vehicle which I purchased back in June. It only has about 3500 miles on it. First problem that I encountered was that the Automatic Climate Control quit working at 600 miles was replaced then stopped again at about 2200 miles. The service department said that rather than replace the sensor they were passing it along to Kia engineering. Started working again one week later, but now the A/C is always on even when we just want to allow outside air to flow in. Also, has numerous rattles inside the cabin. So many that I can't begin to explain to the dealership where they are coming from because they are coming from everywhere. Just a major disappointment. This is the first time in my 54 years that I have absolutely regretted buying a vehicle. I emphatically profess to never buy another vehicle from Hyundai/Kia again in my life. I should have stuck with my 2004 Mercury Mountaineer which was the best vehicle I have ever owned along with the 2009 Fusion which I still currently own and love.

My suggestion is to run away as far as you can from any thought of buying this vehicle. I will continue from this point on to warn as many people as I can that this is not a quality vehicle.
  • Wow, Scarey. Keep us updated. I'm listening!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    edited September 2010
    I know the Sorento is compared to the CR-V and NOX(I think Kia does this as it permits an easier comparison) but it is much closer in size to the Ford Edge. In fact it is almost the same exact size and the interior dimensions are very similar as well. It is huge compared to the CR-V and Escape. A EX-L w/NAV CR-V maxes out at about $29k while the Sorento gets to around $36k which is closer to the decked out Edge prices.

The 3.5L '11 Edge does have the power seats, cooled seats and memory seats and gets about the same EPA numbers as the 3.5L Sorento. Edge Fwd 19/27 versus Sorento Fwd 20/26.

I've been doing some research into the Edge mainly but am also using the Sorento for comparison purposes. On paper they are pretty similar except you can get some highend stuff in the Edge that isn't offered in the Sorento.
    edited September 2010
    You forget that Ford is worlds ahead in quality. I know since I just traded in one and have a 2009 Fusion that I bought new. There is absolutely no comparison. I have sat in the new Edge and I regret not waiting. Thing is the Edge with the same options would run about $36,000 compared to my Sorento which had a MSRP of $31,100. The Edge is much more roomy as far as width and second row legroom. The third row on the Sorento is a joke, but they don't give you any oprtion when you buy a V6. Ours is always folded down. The Edge is also much more luxurious and I wouldn't put the Hyundai, Kia, Crv, Rav4, or Equinox in the same class. A fully loaded Edge Limited AWD with all options is $44,705 according to Ford.com.
  • sorentox3sorentox3 Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I bought a 2011 Sorento on 7/30/10...It is the LX V-6 2WD, from a almost day one it sometimes makes a "thunk" noise when it starts. Sometimes it lunges. It only seems to do it in the afternoons when it is the hottest part of the day. It has never done it when I start it for the first time in the morning. Everthing else about it has been great. Fuel economy has been about 23 combined and no other problems to report. My wife and father both liked it so much they purchased the LX 4 cylinder 2WD in August. Neither of their vehicles have had any problems. I believe it has somethng to do with the V-6 and something to do with the engine and transmission tolerances and expansion in the heat but who knows....I even took it to my local dealer around Louisville, KY and it would not do it for them so they have dismissed my complaint. I love the vehicle and hope they diagnose other similar problems so I can get mine fixed.
    edited October 2010
    Received a call from the Kia Regional Office on 9/29. I'm taking my Sorento into the local dealership and they are giving me a loaner to drive. They want their technician to ride with me so that I can point out the rattles. Don't know if there is a fix for the Climate control issue, but I will be happy if they can eliminate the rattles and fix the sun visor so that it doesn't fall out. I love the looks of this vehicle and I am beginning to have a more positive feelings towards it.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to order crossbars for the roof rack. I e mailed Kia about 6 weeks ago and they said they should be available in a couple of months.

How is your car hunt going? Any decisions as far as which vehicle you may be leaning towards. Have you thought about maybe checking out the 2011 Ford Edge. Really nice.
  • Happy to see you're getting some attention to the problems you've had w/your Sorento. Hope everything gets resolved.

I've been leaning towards the Honda CR-V, merely based on reliability ratings. I still haven't test driven anything. :confuse: :confuse: That will wait until early December. I'm waiting till then so I will have a few thousand more towards the down payment. And, based on what I've learned from financial gurus (Suzy Orman, Clark Howard), you should do your test drives all within a very short window. Reason? Because the dealerships tend to do credit checks on you, and if the credit checks are all within a short window, it won't hurt your credit ratings nearly as much as it would if you did test drives over a stretched out period. See, I do tend to research some things to an extreme. Heck, I'm a retiree, I've got the time to spare.

I haven't considered the Ford. Not sure I will as I haven't been impressed with some ratings (Edmunds for one).

Keep us posted on your Sorento issues. Good luck!
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    there is no way a dealership can do a credit check on you without your permission. they wouldnt even have your ss number unless you were actually going to buy a car. dont ever give that out unless you want to buy and finance the car. ive worked in finance for 29 years and know what is illegal.
    As the poster before me stated there is no way they can do a credit check without your SS# and your permission, so don't let that be a concern. I didn't realize that the new 2011 Edge had gotten any bad reviews. From what I've read they rate pretty well. Ford has been making very good vehicles lately. Our '04 Mountaineer, which we traded for the Sorento, was great and the '09 Fusion which I purchased in October of "08 has been an excellent vehicle. I guess I'm not much of a Honda fan though I understand why people buy them. Just never cared for the appearance of most of their line. I'll let you know how things turn out with my Sorento.