Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    "Hey, Chrysler has to eliminate some items to keep the cost down"...

So they should at least offer it optional. Many people, especially those who are used to these features, may want to pay a few bucks more to have illuminated controls & windshield wiper de-icer.

The new Toyota Sienna offers the wiper de-icer as an option. Unfortunately, no Toyota or Lexus offer the luxury of illuminated controls for power windows/door locks/mirrors. No idea why.

Does the T&C still have the illuminated ignition key ring?
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    The fold flat 3rd row is not a rumor--it's a fact. Will begin production of them after the first of the year. I hope it's split folding or it will be useless to me.
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    I hoope it is 60/40 split so when three people are sitting on it the middle person won't get a butt-ache. The current design is idiotic.
  • Options
    Agree--I consider my 50/50 split bench to be a 2 person bench instead of 3 just for that reason.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    My son has a 2002 GC Sport with 50/50 split 3rd row bench seat. I tried the 3rd row and found it not bad.
        I admit that the outer positions are more comfortable than the middle and the 03 Sienna 50/50 split is more comfortable than the middle part of GC 50/50 split 3rd row seat.
  • Options
    kersey68kersey68 Member Posts: 3
    i paid 34,500 for my limited at gambracorta in wilmington delaware, you wont find it any cheaper my only complaints are the 17 mpg on the hwy
  • Options
    sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    This one replaced an '89 GC LE with 135k when I let it go. But don't recall the old one being as annoying this early. It only has 46k at this point.

200 miles away from home this weekend with the family and the rear brakes (4W discs) start making intermittent noise. My gut feeling was that my rears might be sticking. The rotors were a bit shinier than the fronts too. Drove it home and straight to the shop where I'm a regular customer. As soon as I described the noise, the tech goes, "Yup, Chryslers, your brakes are gone."

Apparently Chrysler pads don't have the wear indicators that other pads do so by the time they're gone, it's too late. You're already metal to metal. I just don't remember my old minivan giving me this headache. Anybody experience similar situations?

So "two rear rotors and new pads all the way around later", the vans good to go again. I'm a bit disappointed since as I said it only has 46k on it. Chances are I won't be owning a third Chrysler minivan for that matter.

Weberamg -> Though I am disappointed, AWD is the way to go. I haven't had a problem in that area --yet--. It gives you stability in the rain and I've driven mine on icy roads and I thought was well worth the extra $$. I've driven it on the mountain passes where snow chains were required. Nice to keep on going while others are pulling over to put chains on. Didn't loose traction or slide at any time.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I am at a loss, since you are a regular at some repair shop, why didn't they check the brakes f/r . 46k isn't much for the rear brakes, but sometime between 0 and 46k miles they should have been inspected. I find it hard to believe that the maintenance schedule didn't mention a brake inspection sometime before 40k miles.

Was this a Chrysler dealer?
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Keep in mind, some brakes and rotors on lighter regular cars don't even last 46K.
  • Options
    sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Appreciate the feedback guys. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Yes I do have the van regularly serviced at the dealer @ 7.5k intervals (service contract) but I don't go to the dealer for everything. Can't afford their prices.

I go to a local franchise tire shop for my brakes and tires. I guess my point was if the pads had the sensors, I probably could've saved my rotors. Not to mention the anxiety of being away from home and on the road with the family at the time.

This van is a "family-mobile". I only drive it when we go on trips. When school is in, it turns into a shuttle and my wife does majority of the driving. So I guess all things considered, it's done it's job well.

So far, post-warranty, I've replaced:
    the battery @ 43.2k
    belt tensioner (seized) @ 41k
    tires @ 44.2k
  • Options
    peppe1peppe1 Member Posts: 54
    On my 99 TC limited with 142K wondering if the struts and load leveling shock should be replaced. I Know that the struts should but what about the rear load leveling shocks.
    As for the brakes new front rotors and loaded calipers(Bendix) cost me $200 and I installed my self. My rears are still the drums so they seem to last for 70K or more.
  • Options
    slingo56slingo56 Member Posts: 2
    Not a T&C, but thought the experience might be relavent:

Just purchased an Inferno Red ES with sunroof and no charge DVD. Tried to buy from a local dealer (Calgary) and all there first offer was MSRP but they would throw in the hood guard, mud flaps, and third row floor mats! This was after they had wasted my time by lying about what they actually had in inventory. I promptly got up and left. Had a voice mail from the salesman a while later saying they were not in the habit of giving away their cars...whatever. Also, in Canada there have been two price increases this year (I believe to offset some of the 0% financing incentives). The ES I was looking at had a window sticker without the latest price increase (about $260). The dealer added this on to the price as he said he had to pass on the price increase. What! I am sure he paid Chrysler the lower invoice price before the increase. What a horrible experience and waste of time. Within ten minutes of leaving the dealership I was on the phone with one two hours away whose online inventory showed they had an ES with the original 2003 price which was about $600 less. The inferno red color was not our first choice as our other vehicle is a similar colour. Given that this was $600 less on the sticker plus did not have the $875 trailer package which we do not require this seemed like potentially a good deal, first color choice or not. Asked to speak to the sales manager and he immediately offered a price that was $300 over invoice and offered to go 50/50 on the accessories and would deliver to our home for free. Deal was done in 10 minutes and was incredibally stress free. Vehicle gets delivered Friday and I can't wait. Return our leased 01 Maxima SE on Thursday. I sure will miss the Max, but with a 8 week old baby, a boxer and possibly another baby in our future, the minivan will be a necessity.
  • Options
    weberamgweberamg Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know of any other message board (in addition to this one) that's dedicated to the T&C/GC?

Thanks
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try google or other net search engine. Management frowns on promoting competing auto forums on Town Hall.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I can understand Edmunds' position.
  • Options
    "In 1983, Chrysler introduced the minivan to the U.S. market -- and to commemorate the vehicle's 20th anniversary, Chrysler will issue a special edition of its Town & Country minivan. The Platinum series minivan will be equipped with 16-inch chrome-clad platinum finish wheels, chrome interior door handles, two-tone leather seating, a rear-seat video entertainment system, a six-disc CD/DVD changer, embroidered floor mats and Platinum Series badging. The 20th Anniversary minivan will go on sale at Chrysler dealers in November."

(source is my Edmunds Vans Newsletter that got emailed today.)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jrhchgojrhchgo Member Posts: 8
    Some dealers are listing they have 2004 T&C, but I don't see anything on Edmunds to show details of what the 2004 offers over the 2003. Any significant changes? (Since the Sienna is so underproduced and overpriced msrp- figured a 04 T&C could be an option)
  • Options
    I don't know when we'll roll out the '04 T&C information. Usually we get updated vehicle info by the time the new rigs hit the showrooms though. Stay tuned I guess.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Take some time to read the MSRP on a T&C LXI or limited. That is a lesson in over-priced. That is why dealers are advertising $8,000 - $9,000 off sticker for T&C LXI's.
  • Options
    I knew that 2003 was the last year for the Voyager. I thought that meant Chrysler would only have LWB vans. However, I now see that the SWB van will continue in 2004--only it will be badged a T&C instead of a Voyager. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    2004 T&C pricing is now live on site:

link

In other news, quieter steel (no kidding) is on the way:

Quality Comes Down to Noise?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    hatethe5050hatethe5050 Member Posts: 1
    After test driving the 04 sienna I was not sure I would get used to that hesitation on acceleration. I went back to the T&C but my dealer says I can't get a third row bench with the larger 3.8 V6, that it only comes with the 50/50 split third row. I drive six kids everyday and can't imagine any of them will perceive sitting on the hinges as an equal seat. I can't understand why Chrysler didn't do a 60/40. Has anyone been able to get a bench on a leather interior LXi either 2003 or 04??
  • Options
    I understand about the seating position of the middle rear bench. Personally, I love the 50/50 split, but I don't haul 6 kids every day. I consider my van to be 6 passenger because of the split. Anyway, for 2004, Chrysler is going to the fold flat design. If it is a solid bench, then your issue should go away in 2004. Good luck!
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Do they still offer the bench for the Limited version? You might be able to talk to the sales to swap the seat if they do.
  • Options
    carshopper48carshopper48 Member Posts: 11
    The information/specs. are available for the 2004 model and there is no mention of flat folding seats. The only thing I see that they have added is the Nav. system and adjust. pedals as standard equipment for the limited (I compared the 2003 with the 2004 on this website and one other website). Even when I built the 2004 T&C limited on Chryslers website there was no mention of flat folding seats in the standard equipment listing. Another person posted that they test drove a 2004 and there were no flat folding seats. It would be great if Chrysler could incorporate this feature, but it looks like we will have to wait until the 2005 models come out.
  • Options
    Chrysler will not begin manufacturing vans with the fold flat seat until the start of the new year. According to what I read, Chrysler is keeping a tight lip on the whole issue because they still want to sell their current design--they do not want people waiting for the new ones to come out.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a major magazine is looking to interview people who were drawn to Chrysler dealerships by the Pacifica, and then experienced sticker shock, and perhaps purchased the Town and Country instead.
    If you fit the bill, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, September 5 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    e52353e52353 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Town & Country EX, 3.8 liter engine, 46,000 miles

Before 12,000 miles, the fuel pump was replaced. Before 30,000 miles the transmission was replaced (Dealer had the car over a month, didn't know what the problem was). In short, the entire engine, minus the block and pistons has been replaced.

The newest problem seems to be fuel related. I have made 6 trips to the dealer. Each time they say it's something different. They have nearly replaced the entire fuel system and the problem persists. I am down to 11 MPG. I was getting btwn 20 and 23 in city driving. Initially, the only indication that there was a problem was that the engine light came on. Since then, the MPG has dropped. This terrible gas mileage and the annoying engine light is driving me crazy. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    pkb5pkb5 Member Posts: 1
    We just traded in our '97 Dodge Caravan with 94,000 miles in for a new 2003 T&C LX, got the van on Labor Day. I had to take the van into the service dep't this afternoon to replace the radio (was supposed to have the CD, but the factory installed one w/o the CD player originally). We purchased from the lot. The first radio they put in was wrong, so they had to drive the van back into the garage and start over. That was replaced ok, but after arriving home I noticed a huge scratch in the rear bumper on the passenger side about 2 feet long! The gash is fairly deep in one part. It almost looks like the kind of scratch you would get when a key is moved across a door.

We didn't notice any scratches when we took delivery, but it was pouring down rain when we received it. It rained nonstop until yesterday, when I took the van in. When the sun finally came out today is when I noticed it. The bumper is the same color as the van (jade).

I'll have to return to the dealer tomorrow and see what they will do. They are 26 miles from my home, so I hope 1) they don't give me a hassle over this and 2) they can fix it fast! This is a 5-star dealership, but my first purchase with them. Will the bumper have to be replaced, or can they buff it out normally? It's a bit frustrating.
  • Options
    Wow, that's rough. First, as far as the radio goes, what did the sticker say it was suppossed to have? Whatever the salesman may have told you does not count--only what the sticker says counts. If the sticker said you were suppossed to have a radio different from the one you had, then I would begin to worry big time about the dealer.

About the scratch, they will probably give you a bottle of touch-up paint and send you on your way. Not noting it at delivery is what may get you here. They will say you got it in the mall parking lot or something. Remember, the dealership is a business, they can not give things away as that is not how business works. You will have to prove it was there when you took delivery.

I hope it works out for you. My mother in law bought a 2004 PT Cruiser GT a couple of weeks ago and had to go back to the dealer 3 days later to get something she forgot. She had scratches on her rear bumper. They gave her a bottle of touch up paint and offered to sell a rear bumper protector--at full retail, of course. Good luck.
  • Options
    butchnhbutchnh Member Posts: 4
    We have owned a 98 Grand Caravan SE and decided it was time to replace another of our vehicles. My wife enjoyed the GC so we decided to upgrade a bit and got the LXi AWD. We paid 29,618 which included the tow pckg, heated seats, rear dvd, for a MSRP of 38,250. I was a bit surprised with soem of the features that I assumed would be there(from owning the 98) that are gone. The illuminated lights were a nice touch, now only the drivers side window button lights up. Although it appears that the other switches still have the light in them they just don't light up. The rear floor mat does not exist and the one in the middle row is about as half as wide as the one in the 98. I also went to put something in the drawer under the front passenger seat and found that it was not there. The lighted ignition is gone as well. These are just the things we noticed so far. Makes us wonder about the things you can't see. We like the car but think its a bad move on Chryslers part to eliminate these features. We bought the car expecting them, we may not be so loyal next time around if they are going to eliminate some of the bells and whistles to save a few bucks. I want my illuminated switches back!!!!
  • Options
    You sound just like me! We had a 2001 Chrysler Voyager (base) and a few months ago, we also decided to upgrade. We traded it for a 2003 Voyager LX. After getting it home, I also noticed several things missing that my 2001 had. My 2003 is missing at least 2 interior lights, 2 air vents and a couple of other things that I discovered. Like you, I also wondered what they took away that I did not notice!
  • Options
    Somebody mentioned it earlier in this discussion that Chrysler seemed to take away some minor (for us it's major) features in the 2003 model, like illuminated controls, and the windshield wiper de-icer which was a good idea, that now the Kia Sedona & the new Sienna copied this feature.

Too bad Chrysler! It's not the way of making more money to upset customers! Making your vehicles more reliable is the one and only way!

I feel bad for you, Butch! Maybe you can ask your dealer to order those parts from 2002 models. Maybe they have some of them in stock. it's the only thing I can recommend you. They are all the same pieces 2002 and 2003. I really wish you good luck, and let me know if this helps.
  • Options
    Butch, about the missing drawer under the front passenger seat is because it has the power seat. the Town & Country LX without passenger power seats still DO have the drawer. So I guess if you love the power seat you miss the drawer.
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    During the Redskins-Jets game, many of the initial ads were for the new Ford F-150. One of the features was the use of "quieter steel" to make the F-150 the quietest pickup around.

The PT Cruiser comes with body void spaces foam filled for that same reason.
  • Options
    Now if they'd just make those Cummins diesels out of that stuff so I could hear myself think when I'm idling at the red light next to one....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jer41jer41 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone advise if I'd be smarter to trade in a '97 LXi with 125,000 miles or try to sell it privately? If the latter, how easy/difficult would it be to find a buyer? Would there be good market or bad? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Jer41-

I went through a similar situation about 1 month ago.

We had a 1996 T&C base model with 102k miles we needed to sell as we just bought a 2001 T&C Limited AWD.

I went to Edmunds used car prices site and priced it a tad below what they recommend. I took the '96 to a local car wash for wash/wax and carpets and seats shampoo.

I then took it to the local Auto mart and parked it for the weekend. A few hours later I got a call and made the deal.

From my time as an ex-new car sales person, I know you'll almost always come away with more money if you sell it yourself. Your paying for convenience when trading a car in.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    jer41jer41 Member Posts: 3
    weberamg

Thanks for yr experience and help
  • Options
    baldwin_chrisbaldwin_chris Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm ready to drive my 2001 T&C off a cliff!

I've had the van in and out of service for the past 3 months for what I describe as a "hesitation" issue. When the van is in 4th gear (overdrive) and is headed up a slight incline, you can feel the van hesitate like it not getting fuel and doesn't have enough power unless I punch the accelerator to make it shift into third gear. When it's in 3rd gear, the van seems to perform better.

I noticed this problem immediately after a recall to the PCM was done. The recall was to fix a potential issue with the air conditioning getting too hot. Ever since this recall was done, I've felt this problem and it seems to be getting worse.

I've been working with 2 dealerships and have asked for a meeting with the District Manager to no avail. I have not received a call from the DM and when I tell the Chrysler Customer Care folks, they tell me to write a letter requesting the meeting.

Okay...so we did this and we are now awaiting a response. I want to trade this vehicle in for a non-Chrysler vehicle but I'm probably going to take a bath on the trade-in.

My van has just 28k miles on it. Has anyone else experienced this "hesitation" issue after the recall was done?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

CB
  • Options
    hershtireshershtires Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know how to re program the sensors for the tire system?
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    You can only reprogram the TPM (tire pressure monitoring) with a special relearn magnet that the dealer has. Special tool # 8821. If you can find out how to get one please post how and how much it costs.
  • Options
    jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    I am starting to look at Minivan's and have a couple of questions:
    1. What is the difference between bucket seats and captain's chairs? The T&C says it has bucket seats and the Sienna has captains chairs.
    2. Has anyone considered both the Sienna and T&C? If so, what do you feel to be the plusses and minues of each?
    3. What is a good deal on a fully loaded T&C Limited?
  • Options
    There is no difference in "bucket seats" and "captain's chairs" - they are used interchangeably. I went through deciding between a new T&C, '04 Sienna, and Honda Odyssey. I was the original owner of a '96 DGC-LE and was trading it (seven years old with 110,000 miles). I eliminated the T&C (DGC) first for these reasons:
    1) Crash scores were well below the current Honda and Toyota products.
    2) Depreciation is awful.
    3) Reliability, while not as bad as some other minivans, is well below Honda and Toyota
    4) The cargo area behind the 3rd row is almost 1/2 what it is in the '04 Sienna and Ody.
    5) The 3rd row split seat design is awful - the middle seat is like sitting on a brick and when you fold one side up to get more cargo space, you effectively lose 2 seats.

These are the main reasons I eliminated the T&C first. I eventually bought a '03 Ody EX-L.

As far as pricing on a new '03 T&C Limited - In Memphis, I was routinely seeing adds for $10,000 off MSRP for T&C Limited.

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    hershtireshershtires Member Posts: 2
    FOUND THIS LINK http://www.wjjeeps.com/tpms.htm
    THE PAGE FULLY DESCRIBES THE PROCEDURE
  • Options
    vacman1vacman1 Member Posts: 28
    After being long time satisfied Ford SUV owners, my wife and I are considering our first mini-van purchase. So far we have test driven the T&C Platium Touring series with DVD/Nav and liked it a lot. My wife would like to consider the Ody too, but I'm turned off by it's lack of DVD/Nav system (it's one or the other). I do like the pop up cargo features in the T&C and the excellent crash rating of the Ody. The only con with the Ody around here is service (at least a 35 mile drive to any Honda dealer).

I have also heard about bad mechanical problems regarding both vehicles. Anyone have a good feel for the actual vs. percieved?
  • Options
    No Ford Freestar or Mercury Monterey in your future then?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Pretty well loaded 2004 Limited. MSRP = 43,060 and Invoice = 39,207. Deal offered to me is 37,700 at 3.9% 60 month financing. Is this a good deal? If not, how much better should I expect?
  • Options
    Are you serious? You are being quoted a price that is $6300 off MSRP on a new 2004 van and you still think you are getting hosed? If you like the van, buy it. Today being the last day of the month, I'm sure today would be the best day to get it. Since you think $6300 off sticker is not a good deal, what are you thinking is a fair price? This looks like a good price. I checked the web site of the Chrysler dealer I use as they list the MSRP and selling prices. On their 2004 T&C Limiteds, they are only marking down about $3500. It looks like a good price you were offered. After buying it, make sure you give them perfect scores on their survey! Good luck.
  • Options
    I think the MSRP on these is way overstated, expecially given the resale value in a few yrs relative to a comparably equiped Toyota. I probably would be happy with the price if I also got the zero % financing.
This discussion has been closed.