Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• chaberlychaberly Posts: 2
    Found the noise - the flywheel assy had a crack in it. The load of the A/C caused it to vibrate when the engine was at idle.
  • pemoyepemoye Posts: 1
    We've had the same problem with our 2001 T&C. We've had it in the shop at least 6 times, usually for 2 to 4 weeks at a clip. We've replaced the battery twice. They have rewired the VCR (didn't correct the problem) and today got it back with a rewired door (have serious doubts if this will fix it). The thing we have in common with you is that we don't typically drive the car long distances and sometimes it sits idle for 2 or 3 days (after which the battery is almost always dead). I can tell you that you can buy a handy gadget called the Jump and Carry which has kept us from exhausting our AAA benefits for jump starts (we park it in a garage and of course the jumper cables don't reach). When I pressured the maintenance manager at our local dealership about what he would do if it was his car, he said after some hesitation, "You probably could get a decent price for it if you sold it or traded it in." I'd sure like to hear if anyone else has had this problem.
  • onewayoneway Posts: 2
    I experienced almost the same problem tonight. The only difference was that the lights didn't go on on their own, they just went dead. What was the cause / solution?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Glad you found the problem and thanks for posting the solution. It helps other people who may experience the same problem, when someone actually posts the solution to a problem they have had.
  • cessna1cessna1 Posts: 1
    Neither of my Power Outlets work. The fuses under the hood and under the instrument panel seem fine, but it doesn't have the IGN-BATT 3-slot fuse suggested in the previous post 1825. Any ideas?

I have a 99 T&C AWD LXI. FYI, Its a quirky beast, and seems poorly designed with an under-sized suspension. The brakes and rotors were done at 30K, new front end bushings at 50K, new tires at 60K. Not a lemon, but it will be expensive to keep. :cry:
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    What's wrong with tires at 60,000 miles?

My 2001 needed brakes and front rotors at 45,000. Tires are still ok for another year.

My 2001 Service manual says the power for the fuses to thePower outlets comes through an accessory relay which is located in the "Intelligent Power Module" under the hood. Your 1999 may be the same.
  • jorgysjorgys Posts: 1
    Hi. We just purchased our -01 T&C Ltd and love it! However we noticed that it is started something that we don't like....when idling at a stop sign or stopped there is a catch in it's idle. It's not smooth and almost seems like it could die if it was a little worse. This catch up wasn't there when we test drove it and so we're not sure if it's bad gas or what!

Any ideas or has anyone experienced this???

Thank you!
  • thethumperthethumper Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 T&C Limited and having troubles with the radio for about the past year. It is the Radio with the Cassette and 4 disc CD player. When it first started acting up whenever you would adjust the equalizer the sound would "pop", cut-out and then after a second come back on. Now my wife says that it when she turns on the radio about half the time it will just sit there and go "pop", "pop", "pop". Sometimes it will eventually start playing. The "pop" sound is the speaker, not electrical in nature and I know there is a recall for some radios but I don't think this is one of them. Anybody else experience anything like this?
  • puddleduckpuddleduck Posts: 1
    My wifes 2003 Town and Country LXi quit running, dealer says the "power control module" is fried. They tell my they have good info.......its covered under warranty,.... then the bad info.......... it is on National Backorder!!! I understood their problem and that it may take a while. But when I asked who I needed to talk to about getting a loaner........ they said ....."we dont do that" After a 45 minute talk (mostly hold time) with a "customer service rep" they told me they would provide a car for 5 days. I asked what after 5 days and the van was still not fixed. They said "5 days is all we can do" The service guy at my dealer (who was very nice) said he did not think the part could possibly be obtained, much less put on in 5 days. What do you do? How do you talk to someone up in Chrysler that gives a darn about service? I had a Ford f250 that totally dropped the transmission at 31,000miles..... not only did Ford give me a truck to drive while they got the new trany, They delivered it to me! This car I get from Chrysler for 5 days, I must take my wife to the rental car agency to get........ then return.
    This really sux........... please if anyone has knowledge of how to get in touch with someone at Chrysler..... it would be greatly appreciated
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    http://www.chrysler.com/owners/index.html

You might want to try this site. On the left hand side, you will see where it says Contact Chrysler. Hope they can help.
  • joselagojoselago Posts: 2
    I also have a 2002 t&c and think I am having the same problem. The first night we had it (bought it used, 43,000 miles) driving home I noticed the headlights get a bit brighter and then "blink" out. My wife thought I hit a button or some control since the vehicle was unfamiliar to me. Last night it happened again.

Did the fix you reported take care of the problem? How much did it cost? Seems like this may be a recall item if others have had it also?

Otherwise, we've had it for two weeks and love it.
  • joselagojoselago Posts: 2
    I also have a 2002 t&c and think I am having the same problem. The first night we had it (bought it used, 43,000 miles) driving home I noticed the headlights get a bit brighter and then "blink" out. My wife thought I hit a button or some control since the vehicle was unfamiliar to me. Last night it happened again.

Did the fix you reported take care of the problem? How much did it cost? Seems like this may be a recall item if others have had it also?

Otherwise, we've had it for two weeks and love it.
  • obliviousoblivious Posts: 1
    If Mercedes were going to make a minivan, they could just re-badge the T&C. I really think they are that nice. We love our current one - a charcoal '99 Limited that we bought just a week ago.

Unfortunately, because of my wife's knack for getting in front of bad drivers, it's our 3rd T&C in the last year. Our last two were rear-ended and subsequently totalled. Our green '96 T&C (99k) was sandwiched in October one week prior to my wife giving birth. Our purple '96 LXi (120k) was rear ended 6 weeks ago. Both of these vans were in what I would consider to be excellent looking & functioning condition. We loved both of them.

Our latest van (w/ 69k) looks spectacular in/out, but underneath it lies a few strange problems I'm only now becoming aware of:

--Reverse Lights won't light up (already replaced bulbs)
    --Courtesy Lights (interior) don't come on when driver's door opens (all other doors light them)
    --The temperature on the trip computer doesn't work (just says "0C")
    --The driver's window switch when pressed down intermittently doesn't function and whines (up always works, as does auto down)
    --The driver's side power mirror goes every direction except down (moves manually though)
    --Front end (mainly driver's side) seems really noisy over speed bumps. Shocks/Struts? CV joint(s)?

Any help/ideas or previous experience with the electrical issues I'm having would be greatly appreciated.

btw - On a side note, anyone else think the styling took a step backwards during the redesign in 2001?
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    Do all speakers make the pop sound? If it's only one, it's probably a bad connection between the stereo and that speaker.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Get the service manuals on EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fordsyfordsy Posts: 2
    I just bought a 01 LXI AWD last week. Seems to be a great vehicle except for the radio, which started acting up the day after that I got it. It will be working ok and all of a sudden it will quit and a slight popping sound can be heard from the speakers. I try turning it off and on and it makes no differance. The digital radio/clock just blinks. I have tried pulling over and turning the vehicle off and back on and sometimes it works and sometimes not. I talked to a local Chrysler Service Manager and after consulting with his techs, he called and said it needs a new raido. It is hard for me to beleive that it needs a new radio!
  • hwilsonhwilson Posts: 1
    I have a 98 T&C 3.3 minivan that recently was serviced with a new compressor. The front air conditioning works great, but the rear ac is not working - blows warm air. Is this a condensor problem or is there something that the mechanic might have overlooked when recharging the system.

Any help/ideas or previous experience with the electrical issues I'm having would be greatly appreciated.
  • stubborn1stubborn1 Posts: 85
    Hi all,

Just became the owner of a new-to-us 2003 T&C LX last weekend. I have a few questions hopefully you can help with.

1. Are there any good maintenance schedules listed on the net? The van didn't have an owner's manual (buying one off Ebay), so I'm at a loss for recommended procedures.

2. I hear and feel a clunk in the front end when going over bumpy pavement. Seems like a bad bushing or maybe a ball joint problem. Are there any particular components that are well known to fail in the front end?

3. How does the 3.8L handle light towing? I have a pop-up camper that I may choose to pull with the van a few times this summer. I'm assuming the van doesn't have an external tranny cooler so I'll probably add one for protection.

Thanks for the help.
    1. Are there any good maintenance schedules listed on the net? The van didn't have an owner's manual (buying one off Ebay), so I'm at a loss for recommended procedures.

You can buy an owner's manual from Chrysler. There also is a place there to contact Chrysler for questions.

http://www.chrysler.com/owners/index.html
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 978
    stubborn1, you can call up a maintenance schedule and technical service bulletins by going to Edmunds.com and clicking on the "Tips and Advice" tab at the top of the screen. Fill in the information for your vehicle and you'll have the info you need.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• stubborn1stubborn1 Posts: 85
    Thanks for the link.

I forgot that Edmunds had the maintenance section on the website. Good information there.

One weird thing though, I selected our van from the list which is the LX version, but it wouldn't let me change my engine selection from the 3.3L to the 3.8L. Did very few LX trim models have the 3.8L engine? I've opened the hood and checked the VIN to verify I have the 3.8.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 978
    Maybe try searching for LXi?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lxpatellxpatel Posts: 34
    My Friend has 97 Town and Country, he drove to from San Francisco to New Mexico, 1100 miles, when he stopped at gas station while his cars is idling his temperature gauge goes all the way up to H and the cooling fan did not kick on, but when van is in motion it returns to normal.

If this is a problem of cooling fan relay where is it?

Took it to a mechanic, they said the water pump is gone, after installing $75 thermostat. :confuse:
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    Check the fuses for the cooling fan. If the water pump was gone, there should have been some leak and the coolant level should be low. If it only runs hot when sitting still or in city driving, and not on the high way, then your problem is the cooling fan. You might want to ask your question in the Maintenance Forum under cooling system I think. :shades:
    I don't know if it applied to the 1997 model year, but there definitely was a recall on the cooling fan relays/sensors on 1996 Caravans, as mine was part of that recall. He might want to check out if the recall applies and was it ever performed on his vehicle.
  • blk7404blk7404 Posts: 2
    I am looking for a used Town & Country in the 03-05 range. I want something with leather and a DVD. Where can I go to compare the EX, LXI, and Limited for differences for each year? I am just trying to figure which model I am most interested in. Also, is the 05 the only model year with fold-flat seating? I thought the rear seat folded flat in other years, but only in 05 did the middle seats fold flat.
    2005 model year is the first with Stow and Go in which seats can be folded flat into the floor. 2005 models were introduced early in calendar year 2004, however, so there may be a few used ones on the market.

Prior to that, you could fold both second and third row seat backs flat onto the cushion, but could not fold the seat into the floor. Both rows were removable, but quite heavy.

So, it depends on how you define "fold flat".
    According to today's paper, Chrysler minivans sold an all time high for the month of May, along with the Chrysler 300.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    It's well deserved!!!! It's a great van!!
  • scrappiescrappie Posts: 1
    My wife called me from Office Max to say our 1997 T & C LXi would not start and that it was making all kinds of clicking noises. After convincing her to cease all attempts to start the vehicle, I load up the kids and go after her. When I got there, I was surprised to discover the OEM battery still in there. After 8 years, I'd say it was time for it to die. So I head down to the auto parts store and buy a new battery. Not thinkng anything of it, I switch out the batteries and she fires right up. The strange part is that the LED lights for the A/C switches and the rear wiper switches now blink continuously. In addition, the CD player (after market) now beeps when the car is turned off. Everything works fine, but I could do without the light show. What did I screw up and is the fix going to be painful?

The owner's manual was of no help and this stumped the pros at the parts store.

Side note - the friendly folds at Advance Auto Parts checked both the old battery and alternator and it appears only the battery was at fault
This discussion has been closed.