Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• jwbcpajwbcpa Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same problem. I am down to 14 mpg. My engine light has been on for 6 months now. My local mechanic says it is nothing to be concerned about...but this gas mileage is ridiculous. I was getting around 21-23 mpg. Is my only recourse to trade? Thanks.
  • ljoyeljoye Posts: 2
    2001 T&C LX, A/C hissing from under passenger side dash. Also passenger side vents are blowing cold air but driver sides are warm. Any suggestions?
  • Hi!
    Would like to get your opinion: I bought my '98 T & C Lxi five months ago from my boss (I had been driving it for the past three years as a nanny). Gave me a really good discount so I don't owe anything on it. However, have spent $$$$ in repairs in the first three months of ownership. The van had 97, +++ when I bought it so it could be normal wear and tear. Recently, on a family outing, the front rocker arms broke and we had replaced for around $179. The mechanic said, they don't know the condition of the back rocker arms but the valves definitely need to be replaced and that it would cost around $1500. Would it be worth it to just get a newer used car or brand new car or (gulp) put in another major repair and keep the van, hopefully, for another three years?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    A broken rocker arm? Bad valves? Yeesh, it sounds like that poor thing has been rid hard and put away wet (over and over and over again) with little or no maintenance.

The truth of the matter is that the 3.3/3.8 liter engines (I assume yours has the 3.8) are very robust with some reaching well into the 300,000 mile range with just normal maintenance. That having been said, if yours has been abused (and if what your mechanic has told you is true, it has) I might be inclined to unload it.

Of course, getting rid of it in favor of another car of unknown history is a gamble as well. If the body of your LXi is in good shape, it might well be worth fixing the engine and driving it into the dirt. Think about it this way, even if both the engine and the transmission fail tomorrow you should be able to get them both replaced for less than $4,000 (used but serviceable engine and factory reman transmission).

Were I in your shoes, I'd be inclined to have a "leak-down" compression test performed, and if that comes back good (and assuming the valves really are bad -- something I'm having a hard time believing), then I would probably have both cylinder heads pulled, reconditioned and put back on. If nothing else, I think a second opinion regarding the condition of the engine is in order here.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Hi! Thanks for the reply and the advise. Guess what? Not only did the "broken rocker arms" noise start coming on, now there's this high screeching sound, rattling under the hood. I think it's safe to say that my husband and I have had enough. Waaaaaa! I asked one of two mechanics that I have been going to: it'll cost $4,066 to replace whole engine, labor included. It would be nice to keep the van since we don't owe anything on but it's just been giving us grief upon grief.

Again, thanks for the good advice.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "I asked one of two mechanics that I have been going to: it'll cost $4,066 to replace whole engine, labor included."

The question is, "Replace it with what?" A new/rebuilt engine? Total waste of money.

With a used (but still very servicable) engine? I'm thinking that the cost should be less than half of what you were quoted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S. Check my profile for my private E-Mail address if you want to discuss this any further as I'm thinking that we're getting a little off topic here. ;-)
  • I recently purchased a 2002 T&C Limited, and so far, we love it. However, when we recently tried to install child safety seats in the third row, we found that the LATCH system (Lower Anchors and upper Tethers for CHildren) described in the owners manual does not exist for the third row -- though the manual clearly says it does. The "captains chairs" in the second row do have them (2 steel lower anchors in the back of the seating area and 1 tether anchor on the back side of each seat), but we need to seat our twin grandchildren (just turned 2) in the third seat so their parents can tend to them from the second row.

I made an appointment with the local police who have a program for guiding folks in the installation of child safety seats (supposedly up to 90% of them have not been properly installed). They were very helpful, but could not figure out where the tether should be attached. [The lower anchors can't be attached either, but the seat belts, though not as safe or convenient, should be a reasonable substitute.]

The safety officer suggested I contact the dealer which I did. The person at the dealer had no idea and was not willing to pursue it (I had not purchased the van from them.), but he gave me the number of the Chrysler Customer Care Center which I also called. When I finally got through to a human, she was very courteous, but knew nothing about installing the seats. She read from the 2002 manual and confirmed that the anchors should be there, but could not offer further advice or information. She gave me the number of the child seat experts -- which I had assumed would be someone within Chrysler who knew something about their LATCH systems.

It turns out that she had given me a wrong number (some other agency) of the government agency who administers child restraint safety regulations. When I finally got to the right person, they were very helpful, but were not able to suggest a suitable anchor point. However, they did indicate that they would look into it and get back to me next week. I asked if they had the number of their child safety contact in Chrysler (which they did not), but promised to try to find one.

So is this a widespread problem? Or am I the only one with the missing LATCH anchor points in the third row seats?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. We are planning a week-long family vacation trip in two weeks..

Thanks in advance.

Roger
  • I think you should take your van to a Daimlerchrysler dealer and have them to look at it and verify that the third row bench is the correct one for this model. We have an 01 DCG EX with the 50/50 third row bench and have the latch anchor points on each seat towards the bottom. Did you feel around down there, to make sure that the fabric from the seat isn't covering them? :)
  • Thanks. My daughter-in-law, two police safety officers (trained in child restraint systems) and I all searched for the latch points in vain. We found them easily in the second row seats. So far the dealer has been of little help, but I will go in person and ask them verify that is the original seat. I think it is since the blue leather matches the other seats exactly. But I'll check anyway.

This is my first Chrysler van so I'm not completely familiar with all the seating options. My third seat is a bench with seating & belts for three. There is also a fold-down armrest, fwiw. Is that what you mean by a 50/50 bench?

The biggest issue is the absence of an designated tether anchor point. The owners manual indicates that there are 3 but no more than 2 should be used at once. However, the bench has only one, in the center. Naturally, we would like to seat the twins in the outboard positions.

Thanks for your advice!
  • This is my first Chrysler van so I'm not completely familiar with all the seating options. My third seat is a bench with seating & belts for three. There is also a fold-down armrest, fwiw. Is that what you mean by a 50/50 bench?

The 50/50 third-row bench is two separate seats that form one bench. You can take half of the third-row bench out or fold and tumble it forward for more cargo space.
  • I have a 2000 Chrysler T&C LXi with 76,000 miles on it. Car ran perfectly until last week when I couldn't get it started. Towed it to the mechanic who said I needed a new fuel pump/filter. He replaced that, as well as the master cylinder (which was leaking) and front supports (which were broken). Had the car home 24 hours and was out driving when it started shaking and decelerated to 15 mph. I managed to get into a parking lot where it died. Towed it back to the mechanic who said it was a faulty fuel pump, he replaced it, we brought it home again, and not 24 hours later, experienced the same deceleration/dying in a parking lot. Any idea what's going on?
  • I just got a 99 t&c and it didn't come with a very good owners manual. I would really like to set the drivers memory seat. Can someone tell me how to set this please??
  • We had the window problem and they replaced the control switch in the door, but ours was under warranty.
  • As an update for everybody, I've been getting 17 mpg in the city on E85.
  • My 99 just started doing this. Did you ever solve the problem? I had it in the shop and they found a fuse under the dash that appeared to fix the problem. That was a few weeks ago and today it started and died several times, then wouldn't crank over.
  • I had the mechanic change out the whole dash unit, evidently there are 2 or 3 computer modules...the main one would have been a $600 part, I think.

Anyhow, upon changing out that dash unit I have not had a problem...it has been 3 months without incident, now. I drive with confidence. I cringed those first few turns of the ignition...now, it is like having an old friend back. Good luck. If you want the name and number of my mechanic man, let me know, before he heads to Florida!
    Merry Christmas.
  • Are you in the chicagoland area? If so, I'll take his number.
    Thanks
  • hello...
    No, I am in Maine...but my mechanic who use to work for Chrysler, but retired, has a small shop he putters in and winters in Florida.

I would be happy to forward Al's info to you, if you email me at jreynold@maine.rr.com.

It was a frustrating issue for me that I struggled with for about 6 months. I brought it to the local dealership and others, but only Al got it up and running successfully.
  • I'm looking into purchasing a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country XL Sport Van (3.3L, V6). We really love the ride, the look, the size, etc. but are concerned about the mileage...it has 134k. We were told they are highway mileage for job commuting. There's nothing on the Carfax report and the owner/mechanic claims to have reconditioned the van (can show service records)...changed air conditioner/heater unit, alternator, etc. I have read mixed reviews. A friend says "no way", the transmissions are known to blow on these. It's not worth the chance. I will bring it to a mechanic for a once over before deciding. I also welcome positive and negative feedback on this. Please help!
  • I owned a 1999 T&C LX and was told the same thing about the transmission problems. Put a lot of miles on the van with no problems and gave it to my daughter who is still using it. I just bought a 2002 T&C EX for my wife. We also love the T&C vans. Van is in perfect shape and runs great. You can tell how the vehicle has been kept up by it's looks and the servic recorrds and the CarFax report. My advice is to buy it if it is in great condition.