Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus - Part III

Comments

• projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    silver bullet, you make an excellent point! i think its a great idea and i may ask my wife if she would like to attend such a class with my son and i. i hadn't really thought about it but it really is a great idea!
    on a side note... all of us Foci owners when passing a gas station by can glance over and laugh at the multitude of 'happy owners' filling up their giant suv's at the gas station. i read an article today that conservatively projects the avg. cost of regular unleaded to be in the 1.70/gallon range by the end of spring! Ahhhh... to own a Suburban, Grand Cherokee, Tahoe or Land Cruiser etc. etc. right now!!! hehehe! Our second tank was 234 miles on 9.4 gallons .... 24.89 mpg during break-in. I love it!!! How are folks with the automatics doing mpg-wise?
  • hkoenen2hkoenen2 Member Posts: 70
    Projectzx3 you consider 24.89 mpg good???
    Sure its better then what I am getting (23mpg) but nowhere near what my 96 Dodge Stratus got (29mpg). And that car was larger, had more features but not as sporty I admit. Even my AWD Safari get close to 18mpg on a good day (ok, I only get 9 mpg when I hook up the camper). I sure hope that when the car is broken in I get closer to the 30+ range. And to think the European pay about $5.00 a gallon, no wonder the Focus is shipped with a 1.4 L engine.
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    I agree about 25mpg not being great. My Nissan Sentra still sits outside with For Sale Sign on it and boy do I ever remember the 37 - 38 mpg I got with it (Except with winter tires, then it was down to 34/35 mph). BUT, I would not go back to it for anything. The book says the mileage whould inprove after 2000 miles so I am waiting for that, a oil change after 3000 and a switch to synthic oil. Plus, right now we've had a snow storm (lake effect) every tank fillup I've had. That and 65+ back and forth to work hasn't

Still having a blast behind the wheel in the ZX3. I really don't think I've ever enjoyed driving a particular vehicle this much.

Pat
    24-25 is great for the initial 5 or 6 thousand miles. i expect to get in the 26-27 mpg range after that. remember i am at least 80% city driving... probably 90%.
    trips to this point have been frequent but short. temps cold here, snow ,ice... i am tickled so far. no complaints.
  • silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    simmilar to vil i have had a hollandia power sliding sunroof in my car and it is awesome!! the install is very professional and u would think it had come from the factory that way!
  • parsadanovparsadanov Member Posts: 16
    Hey everyone if you get a chance check out my ford
    focus zx3 site, i got a few pictures of my zx3 up. You are welcome to send me pictures to be posted. Focus ZX3
  • deanb34deanb34 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know where i can order (internet site) a audio adapter kit so i can replace the standard radio?
  • sunfire99sunfire99 Member Posts: 6
    I've seen several Ford Focus' around my town lately, they're nice cars! I haven't tested one out but all these great reviews about this car are amazing to me.

I've never owned a Ford so I'm shocked that they (and GM) were able to create a car like this.
  • swampgirlswampgirl Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to speak up. I have had my Infra-red ZX3 since dec 17/99. I love it. My dh surprised me with an early christmas present (for the next 3 years LOL). As I stated in the subject has anyone been able to get cruise control installed whether it be Ford aftermarket or anyone. All I get from my dealer (s. Fla) is that they haven't come out yet and what they seen so far are going to be "pricey".
  • dragwaydragway Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone noticed the rear brake drums rusting. It's normal but with these wheels it looks awful. Maybe sanding and painting would help. Also does anyone know if a front stone deflector has been made yet or a front bra.
  • tr4racertr4racer Member Posts: 5
    After reading what others have to say about the ZX3 5 speed, I sure wish I could test drive one or even own one. It seems there are none to be found in the western suburbans of Chicago. A dealer is tracking one down for me however.

I did test drive a 4 door with the Z Engine/5-Speed package. I was impressed with the great gearbox, handling and performance. I also test drove a Neon but Ford does have a better idea. I hope the ZX3 will be as much fun as my old Fiesta.

Silver_Bullet I like what you say! Learning to drive correctly (such as the Skip Barber way) will improve the performance of any car. FYI, Skippy offers a his driving course book and video at his web site. My 2 cents.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    My rear drums came painted from the factory (black), but maybe this was phased in with later production cars (my build date was 12/3/99). At any rate, it is a simple matter to remove the drums, steel wool them clean, and give them a coat of high-temp paint (such as VHT brake caliper spray paint). Paint them red and they'll really make a statement! Or maybe not :-) I'm going to do this to the front caliper mounting brackets that left the factory unpainted, and on my car, have acquired a rather low-rent coating of light rust. If you really want to do it right, have these parts powder coated - they'll look good for years.
  • drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    the last time i was at the body shop to check out my car i noticed the rust as well. I think im going to have them painted red because im going with the red and black color scheme (see my earlier posts). Found out that they got the windshield in, oh the joy of progress. I hope to have it back soon, I cant wait to drive it again. Hey, parsadanov the photos are great, that autumn orange is a very nice color. I have the one from the inside of the focus brochure hanging on my wall. Something to look at while i wait for mine to be fixed.
    our zx3 came with them painted black. i haven't noticed any rust at all since we got her back. i did notice some rusting on the front caliper brackets when it sat in the body shop but it apparently has worn off. i too will paint these if and when it seems necessary. right now they look fine and we've had more than our share of road salt and snowy, crappy weather... like today again!
  • mac54mac54 Member Posts: 22
    I test drove a black 5 speed at Northpoint Ford on the Northwest side of Milwaukee. If you're interested in traveling that far, let me know and I'll check to see if they still have one. It would give me a chance to bug them about the SE sedan that I ordered!
  • mp10mp10 Member Posts: 103
    1) How can you tell when your "build date" was?

2) What's the difference between a "sun roof" and a "moon roof" - I actually asked people at work who had them and no one was sure - it seemed the "moon roof" didn't open, but there was conflicting evidence!
  • compucarcompucar Member Posts: 21
    So far my new Twilight ZX3 is doing very good!
    It plows through snow and is very fun to drive. I am waiting for my mudflaps to arrive at the dealer. I have to say I am so far very pleased with my choice. Any Focus Clubs out there yet? You know, like the VW Club of America? Might be kinda fun. Folks reaction to my ZX3 HB so far is that they really like it. Says it reminds them of a sporty mini-van! ha
  • dhkdhk Member Posts: 49
    Questions: Will a standard road bike (w/front wheel off) fit in a ZX3?

Answer? On cars I've seen, the term "moonroof" is used on US cars to refer to a glass "sunroof". I think it's a moot point now since metal sunroofs seem to be a disappearing breed.
  • dhkdhk Member Posts: 49
    Questions: Will a standard road bike (w/front wheel off) fit in a ZX3?

Answer? On cars I've seen, the term "moonroof" is used on US cars to refer to a glass "sunroof". I think it's a moot point now since metal sunroofs seem to be a disappearing breed.
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Dear Focus Owners,

I invite you to check out Ford of Canada website...www.ford.ca to check out the announcement of the Automobile Journalist of Canada's (AJAC....www.ajac.org) Car of the Year. The fabulous Ford Focus. It beat the other 2 finalists...The Audi S4, Nissan Maxima.

This week is Canada's Auto Show in Toronto.

This victory is yet another indication that we Focus owners know a good car when we see it regardless of its sub 15,000 dollar price. It has won the 1999 European Car of the Year, The 2000 North American Car of the Year (by Journalists from Canada and the USA) and finally the 2000 Canadian Car of the Year. I am going to mention Automobile Magazine's Car of the Year too, but this is not nearly significant as the other 3 awards.

This Canadian test is very vigorous and scientific. Check out the www.ajac.org site for details. The Ford Canada site is quite nice too. You need to have real player to watch the video.

Now I really wish I could drive my Focus. It will be fixed in 1 week. Can't wait.

I think this is great news. Congratulations to all of you on your fine purchase. Focus Rules. Particularly the zx-3!!!!!!

NorwayDoug
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    DHK,
    earlier in this conference the same question was asked and the answer was yes, it will fit plus you do not have to take off your wheel!
  • kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    Is ford focus the most awarded car in recent automobile history?
    Does anyone remembers any other car awarded as many times as focus?(both sides of the atlantic)
  • maynard7maynard7 Member Posts: 16
    I got my Focus hatchback around Thanksgiving and have had no problems whatsoever in 5,500 miles. I've never bought a new car that didn't have some kind of bug. I'm really happy with it.

As far as the type of oil to use, I read the manual & I believe it said to use 5W-30. Consumer Reports magazine tested regular oil against synthetics about 2-3 years ago and found no significant difference in engine wear. The test was done on a fleet of taxicabs in New York City and the engines were taken apart at 60,000 miles. After reading the truth, I wouldn't spend any extra for the synthetics.

As for the "welcome package", I haven't received one yet; I actually haven't received anything at all from Ford.
  • snakritchsnakritch Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I saw a ZX3 in Malibu Blue today and thought it looked pretty radical. It'll certainly get your attention. It's not exactly subdued, but I loved it. Then I thought, Hey, that looks a lot like Volkswagen's "Jazz Blue" that I've seen on some generation III Golfs. And then I thought, You know, the Focus ZX3 really IS what the Golf SHOULD be. It's a shame the Golf is so heavy, and expensive, and that it doesn't handle especially well or even perform well without a VR6 or a turbo. At least Ford was there to pick up the slack. What a cool little car!
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    swampgirl, if you don't get a good answer here, try our Aftermarket conference. You can use the Search feature on the left menu bar to find the Ford Focus topic there.

carlady/host
  • mattozzi_ajmattozzi_aj Member Posts: 24
    Hey all! If you happen to receive a questionaire from Ford-make sure that you take the time to fill it out. I asked about the gift package on mine and a representative from ford called to ask me about it. After I explained about what I had read about the gift package she took the time to research it. she said that it must have been a local dealership gimmick because she could not find anything-but added that I should check with my dealer so I don't miss out on anything. I was really impressed that someone actually called! So if you get one-make sure to state any questions you might have!
  • dustoffbobdustoffbob Member Posts: 8
    A week ago or so I brought up the issue of seat covers for the ZX3 Focus. I recently read an article that Ford offers seat covers in various materials under the name of "seat wardrobe". Has anyone purchased seat covers from Ford. I have a 3 year old and need some protection for my seats. Additionally, where did people buy the mud flaps from; has anyone bought a bra yet for ZX3; and my owners manual says my cd stereo will accept a cd changer, yet I don't see any controls on the headset for a changer, has anyone added a changer?
  • zx3brizx3bri Member Posts: 11
    I know this is sort of a delayed response - it's sort of the nature of the popularity of this site if you don't chack it at least once a day you get behind quickly. Anyhow, I wanted to say Igor, your Autumn Orange ZX3 is exactly what I had originally wanted - with the side airbags and ABS. In retrospect, I'm sort of glad I didn't get ABS because it'll make the rear disk bolt-on easier. I just couldn't resist the Autumn Orange ZX3 that sat on my dealer's lot, and I have never once regretted giving into the urge. By the way, about a year and a half ago, I really considered getting a Neon R/T. I saw one today, and I still like it (though it's not nearly as solid as the ZX3, and the engine is not very reliable from what I've heard). Anyone else initially taken with the Neon Runt, later converted to the ZX3?
  • monikaannmonikaann Member Posts: 16
    Is there a Ford or other shop manual available yet for the Focus ZX3. I haven't heard anyone talk about that. That's something that is worth while to have. It would be kind of neat to have a paper manual with a CD-ROM interactive copy.
    monikaann, look near the back of your Owners Manual and you will see a reference to HELM Company and some info on how to contact them. They are the official source for factory manuals. It may be awhile before one is published, but once you get one, there isn't much you won't know about your Focus. BTW - they are not cheap, and often are published in two or more volumes, with the electrical section separated into its own volume.
    DustOffBob,
    Got my mudflaps right from the Ford Dealer, and he had them in stock. They carry "Focus" logo on them and are marketed under the Ford name. Not the greatest but they help in cutting down on salt and sand hitting side of car. My personal opinion is that fenders should have flared out just a bit more and this would not have been as big a problem as it is. But you know what thats worth. Oh, they were $24. which included installation, both front and rear.

Oh, thanks for the info on seatcovers. Will have to check owners connection at ford to see what they have. Was just thinking about putting my single sheep skin back on, but the "med graphite" cloth does show up everything.

Pat
    Has anyone sprayed the Scotch Guard on the ZX3 seats yet?
    I'll be interested in buying seat covers eventually but in the meantime want to protect the cloth.
    I was riding down the road with a new silver Beetle. With my silver ZX3 it must have looked pretty wild. I gave the thumbs up sign. I really like the new Beetle but they are too impractical space wise.
    Yes, I added an Alpine 6 CD changer (because my ZX3 came with a cassette player). The changer is under the passenger seat, the controller thingie is right at the bottom of the dashboard over the shift hump - very unobtrusive. There's a handheld remote about the size of a credit card. The guy at the shop that did the work said the "kits" for the Focus aren't available yet, he said it usually takes about 6 months for the kit to show up for a new car. But he said, in his opinion, that the integrity of the dashboard design is always compromised when you add a "kit" - he said it never really looks perfect, and he thought the design of the ZX3 dashboard was very handsome. The changer with installation was $375, took him about 2 hours. He suggested the trunk first and I said no to that immediately for many reasons - under the passenger seat works out very well and is more convenient anyway. And I still have the cassette player if I ever need it - and to all the world who might be interested in...ahem...absconding with stereo equipment, it looks like all I have is a factory installed cassette player, unless they look carefully.
    Well I recently sent an E-mail to ford customer connection to ask about the triangular side marker lights that are standard on the European models of the focus. I received an E-mail stating that the side markers are supposed to be standard on all focus models. Now I thought that maybe they were referring to the ones on the bumper so I wrote them back just to clarify and they called and left a message again stating that the markers are supposed to be standard. Now I'm totally baffled, I don't understand how they can say they are standard when I have not seen one focus with the markers. Have any of you seen side marker lights on any foci in your area?

Hey Dustoffbob, I don't recommend putting a bra on your car. I have read many articles that warn against using a bra because they destroy the paint job. I bought one for my last car and after a week I found the article so I removed the bra to return it and in that short amount of time I had seen marks already. The only way to avoid the problem if you do buy a bra for your car is to take it off every couple of days to clean it and the car. It really isn't too easy putting it on in the first place I'd think you'd get tired of it pretty quickly. Instead I purchased a hood deflector from Ventvisor and was much happier with it. All you have to do is install it and forget about it. Just a word of warning.
    I think Ford is clueless when you called about the triangular side markers. They obviously are thinking of the lights mounted in the front bumper. As cool as having those lights would be, I don't think it would be a good idea to drill holes in your fenders, and tap into your wiring harness to get them. The european spec fender is a different part, and has a shallow indentation to accomodate the side marker. Add my "no" vote to front end masks. Even with a carefully fitted Colgan mask, I suffered abrasion damage to the nose of my old '83 VW GTI, even with fastidious prep and frequent removal for cleaning/waxing.
  • alf3alf3 Member Posts: 83
    Hey everybody - just returned from the Chicago auto Show. The Focus was well-represented at the show - a Pitch Black ZX3, a wagon, and a number of 4 doors, including the Sony Limited Edition, with lots of pounding music. Why Ford chose the 4 door for the Sony edition escapes me - i would think that the ZX3 would make a better Sony edition.

Ford also had a concept Focus wagon on display, very subtly (and nicely) modified, including Catz 4 projector headlamp front end, Euro headrests for the back seat, special taillamps, etc. It was built for Ford by Roush.

Great show. Ford also had the new Escape (and the Mazda Tribute twin) on display. Nice!! The Escape would be a nice garage partner for our ZX3s!
    Forgot to mention - Ford issued two new brochures at the Chicago Auto Show (first time I've seen them, anyway!) One is a color sheet on the full Focus line, the other is a color tri-fold sheet on the new Sony limited edition. I picked up a bunch of extras in case any of you might like one, in case you hadn't seen them.

Are any of you interested in one or both brochures ?? If so, perhaps I could post my Hotmail address, and we can correspond off-line. I would ask for a dollar to cover postage and the 8.5x11 envelope.
    Forgot to tell you - I ordered my scuff plates last week - waiting on their arrival. I don't have pns for any of the three types, but I'll let you know when mine arrive, and supply you with the Ford dealer's phone number in England. I ended up getting the black - they were the least expensive. I figure I can always see how they look before I actually install them on my Pitch Black ZX3; if they don't stand out enough, I'll pass them on to another ZX3 owner, and order the Titanium scuff plates.

I did receive my Z3 parcel net from BMW on Thursday - hope to install that in the right-hand side of the trunk tomorrow.
  • twilightblisstwilightbliss Member Posts: 4
    Hi everybody! I just ordered my Twilight Blue ZX3, fully loaded automatic (including the power group and the new convenience group) yesterday. The dealer said 4 weeks until delivery. A total lie, or what? What have other people experienced regarding order times?

I have read EVERY posting on this board, and the previous two that were shut down. I know it's crazy, but I am so excited about this car, I have to do SOMETHING to fill the gap until I take delivery.

I simply cannot wait! By the way, what have people heard about the Sony Limited Edition? What does it have, other than a different color?
  • mcslimmcslim Member Posts: 2
    Everyone seems to be interested in customizing theit cars. Always a good thing I say. One thing people might look for are Foci from the SEMA show from Nov. One site is www.borla.com Go to SEMA project vehicles and you can see what they've done to their car. The good news is that Borla presently makes a cat-back exhause for the focus. The bad news is that none of the links I followed had Focus parts listed.
    Thanks for the autoshow news, Alf3. I would very much like both brochures - there was very little info available at the Houston Autoshow last month. Contact me at [email protected] and let me know what you'd like me to send. If you can give me the info on how to contact the U.K. for the scuff guards, that would be great. BTW the February issue of CAR is very cool - several Focus articles, and a neat ad showing a black ZX3 ESP on a slot car track - "just steer".
  • acartwriacartwri Member Posts: 14
    Alf, I saw the Escape and thought it would be a great garage partner for my pitch black zx3 as well! Ha! 200hp out of a 3.0 v6 is not bad.Seems like Ford is realizing that not everyone wants to drive an SUV the size of a double wide trailer like the some of the urban hillbillies here in Chicago do. I can't imagine trying to park that Excursion, unless you have a helicopter pad at your house. Nonetheless, upgraded focus wagon looked rerally sharp.
    Has anyone experienced this......I noticed this morning that my rear passenger seatback behind the driver wasn't aligned properly after I folded the seat back to its upright position. Turns out that the 'pin' that the seatback swivels on is out of the assembly that is supposed to hold it in place (it's difficult to explain). Anyway, I can't get the pin back in the proper place - I may need to take it back to the dealer to fix. Any ideas?
    To all those who may be still interested, I called Ford to find out the status of my repairs. Body work is complete, currently being painted then they can start on internal repair. Still waiting for passenger airbag also they need to make sure there is no dash damage once the airbags are replaced, windshield is in but not installed yet. Also, Ford customer service called today to address the letter I sent in with my survey. Current time since the accident: 1 month, 13 days.
  • bjammin2bjammin2 Member Posts: 42
    Well, add my pitch black zx3 to the disabled list. My right front wheel assembly is totally bent up. Don't ask me how. I'm the only one that drives it. I haven't been hopping any curbs or slamming into potholes. No visible signs of damage like a scratched or scuffed tire or wheel, just $750 of damage that Ford won't cover. Let the waiting begin:-(
    I was looking on Ebay for Hatchling items and saw a pic of the UK 4 door Focus hatchback - the rear door definitely ruins the line of the rear window design (IMHO) - it in effect breaks up the window into 3 pieces. FWIW, someone was selling "Parking for Ford Focus Only" signs, and some 1/43 scale models of the Focus as a rally car, etc.
    Bjammin2,
    Sorry to hear this. Seems like I read this in past, but Ford fixed the other one except for bent wheel.
    Think things like this should be reported to National Highway Safety Board or what ever it it. Its under the Edmunds "Safety" link. If it keeps reoccuring they will investigate it and force a recall. Boy oh boy, now I'm on Fords list, if they keep one.
    Pat
    I thought the other one was the victim of a definite pothole? Here in New England, we have potholes about the size of Florida sinkholes right now and terrified I'm going to hit one (or be sucked into one). I'm trying to stay off the casualty list!
This discussion has been closed.