Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

Comments

• pekelvrpekelvr Posts: 61
    Biff,
    Just call Toyota's customer experience line, and ask them to set you up with the new Computer unit module for the EPS. The 2008-2010 EPS systems are defective.and need replacing but the EPS replacement has to come from them.
  • It's not just an issue of the car "veering". I almost never take it on the highway. It isd an issue of not being able to make sharp turns. It's the feeling of driving in a car with low tires. Extremely poor handling aside fro any "veering". I am about to sell the thing and buy a Mazda 3 within the next 2 weeks unless I can find a civic for the right price. There is no fix to make the Corolla with EPS handle well. Do you think there is? I know there is not. The car is an absolute chore to drive. This car was not designed to drive well it was designed to be cheap for the manufacturer. Period.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    OMG, we know how you feel already!
    edited August 2010
    Love mine! Would recommend it to anyone thinking of buying a reliable, safe economical car to drive.
  • biffprestonbiffpreston Posts: 59
    edited August 2010
    Ultra cheap electric steering in a car that handles extremely poorly on the road. I would highly recommend that prospective buyers be aware of how badly the corolla with EPS handles on the road. You will fight the steering wheel to make turns. Very poor quality ride. Be aware of the alternatives to the corolla with EPS such as the Mazda 3 or Honda Civic. It's worth spending a little bit more to get a much better car.Do a side by side test drive with the other cars and take particular note of how bad the Corolla handles relative to the Civic ans Mazda 3. Your going to be stuck with the car you buy. The steering on the new Corolla with EPS is plain awful and dangerous.
    :lemon: You got a lemon :lemon:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    This is completely off-topic. Why post this here?

To save a lot of people trouble who came to the forum to talk about current-gen Corolla's EPS, this article is actually about the last generation Corolla and a problem with an engine computer.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    Ok, so I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday to have them fix my steering issue, applying the latest TSB fix for the ECU. Long story short - it worked. My steering is drastically different and the wandering is gone. I drove it on the interstate today and varying speeds over the same road where the "wandering" was most noticeable, and it's been eliminated completely. I'm pleased.

They were not able to recreate the "surging" I complained about - I'm not surprised. I believe unless you are riding with the mech, feel it and then point it out, they're going to say they didn't notice anything. They made note of it and I told them I would be back in on a day off and do a ride along with the tech and they were most willing to go that route. I'll report back when I have done that.
    Z
    edited August 2010
    Everyone talks about the veering. Im not talking about any veering. I'm not talking about any wandering on the highway. I'm talking about poor road handling aside from wandering. Did you ever have any other problems with the car other than "wandering on the highway? I'm talking about this car does not make sharp turns. This car is exhausting to drive in off highway city traffic. Weird wobbly wonky stereing with no road feel. Manually having to recenter the steering wheel after making a turn and especially bad when parking. I went out and test drove a Civic and Mazda 3 and the Corolla did not even come close to maneuvering like those cars did. I mean completely different animals type of difference in maneuverability. The Civic and Mazda 3 drove like what I call "normal cars". The kind i have always driven. I'm not talking about any "veering" or "wandering". I am talking about extremely poor road handling resulting in a car that is absolutely exhausting to drive in which you do a lot of the work yourself that those old cars with normal power steering used to do for you. The electric steeing feels completely unnatural. It is a design characteristic of the steering system itself. There is no "fix" for that. Did you ever notice anything wrong with this car other than the "wandering"?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Weird wobbly wonky stereing with no road feel.

Toyota: Oh, what a no feeling!? ;)

That's how most Toyota's handle. They're isolated, cushy cars with very limited handling capabilities and no pretense of being fun to drive. Lots of people like a rolling appliance, though.
    edited August 2010
    I never drove a Corolla prior to 2009 when the ultra cheap electric steering began being popped in under the hood but I suspect they drove like normal cars. Toyota is making hundreds of millions of dollars in additional profits from switching to this absolutely atrocious steering. The cars are extremely uncomfortable to drive. You feel as though you are fighting the car to maneuver it. It is not that easy to steer at low or high speeds. This whole idea that you have one finger steering is bologna. The civic has one finger steering and good handling. The Ford fusion does as well. One finger steering but good handling and road feel. The Corolla does not steer easily at any speed or with one finger. It's harder than that and it feels completely unnatural. Sh#& face liar Jim Lentz and the rest of the gang are rolling added profits in. Toyota is a crap company and I will never buy another one of their very bad vehicles and would strongly discourage all my friends and family from buying Toyota vehicles. They cheated a lot of people who bought these cars based on reputation and ended up getting pieces of junk. I hope they suffer severely for it.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    I think your standards are a bit high for a $15K car - it's not a sports car. It's an economical car with standard steering (at best). It's not a performance car...you have to manuver it a bit. My complaint was the wandering - the NHTSA has recorded complaints from consumers like myself and all the complaints are consistent. I merely complained, got response from NHTSA with the TSB #, took it to Toyota, they applied the fix, and it has improved the steering dramatically. I had a Porsche 911 and it doesn't drive like a 911 - it drives (now) like I would have expected from a 4-dr, $15K sedan - nothing more. Would I buy another? Probably not...in time, I'll probably get something else and then move on, leaving the Corolla behind and forgetting about it. I have an E class MB to replace the 911...and no, it doesn't drive like an E class either.

The car clearly is not for you. Why not move on to something else which handles the way you expect, and discontinue the constant boring complaints ad naseum? You'll be much happier doing it.
    Z
    edited August 2010
    I have driven nothing but economy cars my entire life. Electric Steering is a whole new ball game so to speak when it comes to road handling. I have driven many economy cars as well as other cars in my 23 years of driving. My dissatisfaction with this car does not stem from some sort of unrealistic expectations. It stems from a funky new ultra cheap steering system unlike anything I have experienced in the past that has a tremendously negative impact on a drivers ability to control the car. I have had no complaints about any of the cheap cars I have owned in the past. "Standard Steering" you say? This steering is not what I call standard. It is like driving a remote controlled car from the inside out. This steering is funky and wonky and a very bad and very modern solution to car companies increasing their profits.

The Corolla does not even feel like a car to me. It;s like a hunk of metal with four rubber tires and a cheap electric electric steering system that barely allows the driver to maneuver the thing. A car is something you drive. The new Corolla with EPS is something you drag around. '

This car is not something I would expect for 15 thousand dollars. This is the most expensive car I have owned up to date and by far and wide the worst driving. I mean by a margin as wide as the distance between the earth and the moon.

I cannot afford to buy a new car at this instant. If i could I would. There is something fundamentally wrong with the electric steering in these cars.
  • I'm glad to see this pekelvr. I hope Toyota keeps getting it. I hope they hurt bad. They deserve it. Don't buy any Toyota vehicles, they suck, pass it down.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    One thought is to buy a slightly used car, still under warranty, maybe Certified, that steers the way you like. Try doing an even-up trade for your Corolla with the dealer, just pay the tags and fees. (I did that last November on a trade, worked slick.) For example, the Focus doesn't have EPS, and the Rabbit and Jetta have it but have a better steering feel than the Corolla IMO. Then you can forget about the Corolla and drive happy.
  • Thanks for the suggestion Backy. Seriously I do appreciate. I'm going to go ahead and work out a new car ewithin the next two or so weeks. I do not like the Focus. It's going to be Civic or Mazda 3 or possibly Mitsibishi Lancer. not sure about the last one though.
  • I have a 2010 corolla s model, i have had my car in for the 4th recall mostly the gas pedal and matts but my main complaint is the EPS steering. I had my car to the service dept 4 times for the steering as it is very hard to keep straight and from wandering as it feels like everyday is a wind storm. As to your car being good for you maybe it is but mine and few others i drove are the same they all are very hard and exausting to drive on any road condition. I will get my car through the lemon law i have a hearing soon Sept 22nd. Toyota will prob go out of buss if this car is deemed unsafe for the public to drive. One final thing also, terceltom: the value on these Toyotas are falling like time bombs because all the saftey related news on tv, internet and magazines. Get out of the car before its worth zero. I will not let anyone in my family in this car because its very unsafe. Toyota knew about these problems far before they were noticed by the public. I will never by another Toyota as there company has lost all there quality as it once had. I still cant believe im writing negative things about toyota and i have owned 6 Toyota vehicles over the last 22 years of driving and my last one was a 1999 Toyota tacoma extra cab v6 trd spd drove it up to 167,800 miles, my friend still has it with over 200k. These new Toyotas will never last.
  • Did you get the new EPS module? I don't see any where in your post that you called the "Toyota Experience Center" and asked them to contact your dealer so they can arrange to replace your car's EPS module or computer module. I don't think you need to tell people to get out of the car because of the falling values. I know that 1st hand. Its a losing situation if you try to trade your car in right now at this time. Oh so you know Ford and Chevy just had recalls on their cars. The economy is contributing to the safety factor in the car making industry. People cut corners on parts and labor and THAT's why these cars are all in recalls...
    I'm sorry your one of those that got a "lemon" as you put it. All I keep repeating is some of you that have this EPS problem seem to think this is problem effecting ALL of the newest generation of Corollas, and it is not. There are many of us that have no problem with the steering whatsoever and just love our Corollas. Don't lump us in with you! I hope you get a resolution to your problem ASAP.
  • I think there are two sets of people complaining here.

1.) People who truly have faulty EPS.

2.) People who don't have faulty EPS but dislike how Toyotas handle.

Group number two, I understand you. I've yet to drive a Toyota that felt connected to the road (the '07 Camry SE I drove came closest). Most have a video-gamey numbness to them that can either be viewed as "isolated" or "poor-handling." I think of it as both; smooth to drive, but horrible when it comes to feeling buttoned-down, connected, visceral, or heaven-forbid -- fun to drive.

For those of you who are likely in group 2, you never should've bought the Toyota in the first place; there's a Civic, 3, or all-new Focus with your name on it.
  • Yes you seem to do lots of trolling and repeating and seem to be excessively and suspiciously concerned with Toyota's public image and engaging in apologetics on behalf of the Toyota corporation.
  • The new Corollas with EPS are crap cars period. I don't care if someone is number one or number two. I am amazed that a car that drives and handles this badly is actually being manufactured and sold to the public. Basic maneuverability is severely limited with the EPS.
    edited September 2010
    Awful car isn't it. I made the huge mistake of buying on too. Doesn't even feel like a real car does it? Can't make sharp turns or maneuver. Car won't stay straight and true in its lane on straight roads or highways. Loose wobbly steering at low speeds. Utterly Godawful and atrocious road handling way beyong what I would call the "norm". Basic maneuvering of the car is serverely limited. Exhausing to drive around town. I understand. I wish this car purchase had gone better for you as I wish for myself. FYI I believe there are a couple of regular trolls on this message board affiliated with Toyota.
  • The handling on these cars with EPS goes way beyond what I call acceptable. Toyota corporation came out and made a staterment that sounded something similar to what you just said. Something to the effect of "We at Toyota corporation have deemed the effect of electrically assisted power steering on road handling not to be a safety issue but one of driver preference". They are crap cars made by a greedy and careless corporation.
  • dantzdantz Posts: 49
    I just returned to this board after a break of several-months, and I discovered to my dismay that I had to wade through large numbers of your near-identical posts (which in my opinion aren't even really on topic). Please stop already! You've already established your main points quite well, yet you continue to hammer away at them over and over and over. Your posts are becoming very spam-like. I think the only way you're going to be able to move on and get past all of this dissatisfaction is to get rid of your current vehicle and buy yourself a decent replacement car, and the sooner the better!

Speaking of which, I want to warn you about the Honda Civic. I drive a 2008 5-spd automatic Civic LX. It's a great handling car, far better than the Corolla in that respect, but be aware that the engine produces relatively little torque in the lower RPMs. In other words, you can't just step on it and accelerate. Even in an ordinary passing situation you'll find yourself downshifting and revving to get into the power band. I've gotten used to it by now, but I'm still aware of what I'm missing. Since you mentioned that you were considering getting a Mazda 3 because it had the option for a larger engine (see, I did read through all your posts), you obviously prefer a car with a bit more "oomph", and I think the Mazda 3 might be more your ticket. Otherwise you might just find yourself on the Honda boards posting about the Civic's lack of torque.
  • I will keep that in mind when purchasing my new car.

There are some folks in this thread that act like professional apologists for Toyota who debate anyone with anything negative to say about Toyota or the Corolla and they seem to repeat what I believe to be lies about cars that I don't even necessarily believe that they even own. I'll admit my posts have been much larger and repeats of one another but at least I'm honest in my intentions. I sincerely hope I can get the message across to some folks and help them not to make the same mistake that I made.

I don't like seeing suspicious people posting things that I know to be not true for the express purpose of deceiving people then telling me theres no way I can know. .
  • There seems to be a bias against people that don't value handling above all else. I prefer a car that rides smoothly and handles decently. The Mazda 3 handles excellently but on NYC streets the ride was very bumpy and the Mazda's seats were extremely uncomfortable.

I would have bought a Corolla if its steering and brakes were average. I don't expect it to be a sports car but a Civic or an Elantra steer perfectly fine and they are not sports cars. There are those of us who just want to drive normally, feel some road feedback and not have to adjust the steering every second.
    First off, I resent that you would call anyone that don't agrees withb you a liar and disbelieve that they even own Corollas. I not only own one, but I own three Corollas. I said it multiple times I LOVE MY 2009 COROLLA and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I will continue to rtepeat my oppinion of the new generation of Corollas just as you have been speaking of fabricated handling problems for weeks. You want a Mazda, go get one, and leave us to judge our own new generation of Corollas. Why don't you spend some time on the Mazda threads?
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    No issues here either Terceltom give it some time in a month or so the posts will go away from certain people. I have seen many come and go they pop in shoot posts one after another then gone never to be seen but some old posts. Take a look back a year or so you will find them. ;)