Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    I got all the help I needed from the source--Kirstie. Thanks for your concern over what I am able to understand, or not understand. Nice to know there's folks out there who really care.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Awe, you really don't mean that! I sense a little sarcasm which is really unlike you. But anyway, give me some credit, I thought I was being pretty helpful.
    Yes, very helpful, and also a mind reader. You are an amazing person. Truly.
    Now I'm starting to think you mean it !
  • Bottom line is the new Toyota Corolla with EPS sucks hard and has severely bad road handling issues. There is nothing that Toyota can do to change the way these cars handle.
  • There is not a damn thing Toyota can do to change the extremely poor handling of these cars.
  • There's everything they can do. There are plenty of steering systems (EPS included) with better steering feel than the system in the Corolla. Different suspension calibrations would certainly help as well, at the cost of ride.

You can modify any car and make it handle better or worse.
    "Bottom line is the new Toyota Corolla with EPS sucks"

Clarification - Bottom line is YOUR new Toyota Corolla with EPS sucks
    This is an "Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering" thread. Perhaps you should seek solace on the "Toyota Corolla problems and repair" thread if you want to discuss the poor handling of your Corolla.
    edited September 2010
    omg, are you paranoid or what ????

I AM a Toyota loving lurker on Edmunds! I own three Corollas, a "92", a "01" and a "09" and guess what? "I would recommend this wonderful little car to all my friends and family", as you put it. Is there a problem with that? I couldn't be happier with my 2009 Corolla as well as my other two. In fact, last year I just parted with an "86" Toyota Tercel that gave me 200,000 miles and 24 years of great service.

Face it babe, you got a lemon with yours! :lemon:
    I do know about these steering systems.

Actually, based on your comments today and prior, I have to conclude you know very little about EPS systems. For example, your comment today that there's nothing that can be done to improve the steering feel of such systems. That's absolutely false. As was pointed out by someone else, EPS is computer controlled. Computers are programmed. Programs can be changed--and pretty easily. While I don't have direct experience with a 2009-10 Corolla that has had its EPS reprogrammed, I have read reports from reliable sources (e.g. automotive mags) that steering feel can be significantly changed/improved on an EPS-equipped car by simply reprogramming it, and I know of multiple car models on which this has been done. Whether that's happened for the 2009-10 Corolla, I don't know for a fact. But it is possible.

While I think the Defenders of the Toyota Faith can get a little tiresome, I think it's worse to go on and on about how terrible a car is and how terrible is manufacturer is because you don't like one aspect of the car. By now we all know how you feel about the Corolla and Toyota. About time to go get that replacement car and start posting on its discussion how wonderful it is, don't you think? Not to mention the peace of mind it will give you to drive a car every day that you enjoy driving, and feel safe driving.
    Great post, well stated!

Based on your summation it sounds like it is actually possible to own a 2009/2010 Corolla that is not experiencing any of these EPS problems. In other words, some of these EPS computer controlled systems might actually be programmed correctly from the manufacturer, right. This would explain why some of us "Toyota defenders" might be posting until our fingers get numb to explain our satisfaction with our cars steering. I don't know, don't you think that's plausible? That's why I really get anoyed when a poster thinks that for some reason, when they are having a problem with their cars they think everyone else should be having the same issues. Actually, I heard somewhere that for some reason the "S" models seem to be infected with this EPS problem more than the LE's, XLE's and the XRS's.
  • sjareasjarea Posts: 49
    edited September 2010
    I highly doubt it was/is a programming issue. If I had to bet I would say it was an overall defective EPS module.

It seemed to me(as well as my two brothers that are ultra gearheads that drove mine) that there was a timing issue with it. Meaning from the time it received the feedback info. and made the calculations and applied them it was too late causing the driver to have to make the under/over correction.

This is why it happened at high(er) speeds and not low(er) speeds. If it was truly the programming it would have reared its ugly head even at low speeds IMO. And perhaps it did it's just at higher speeds a tiny margin of error becomes greatly magnified which is why you need to be going over 40-45MPH to have it start acting up.

I do not think toyota is out of the woods on this issue yet. Again, if I had to bet there will be a full blown recall on it(which may only apply to affected ones and not everyone). It may take toyota time to find out which EPS modules had a bad manufacturing run, but since they are the ones that make them it should be too hard to find out. Hopefully, this is the type of info the NHTSA is/will be looking into.

Just to be clear this is my opinion and experience driving it and I have no actual facts to back it up.
    Notice I made no statement wrt what ails the Corolla's EPS. I was pointing out that it is possible to change the steering feel of an EPS-equipped car via programming changes. That's all.

However... if all of this angst from some owners about the Corolla's steering were fixable via a programming change... I think it would have been done a long time ago. It's cheap, easy, and fast. Also, a mechanical problem would better explain why some owners (and test drivers, including moi) report no problem with the EPS, and others do.
  • sjareasjarea Posts: 49
    edited September 2010
    Backy I was not implying that you were making that charge. I was just wondering aloud as to what I think is the problem w/ EPS.

As far as a mechanical issue I don't think that is it either. All toyota did was replace my EPS module and it is like driving a totally different car. There were no moving or mechanical parts replaced. Again, I think they had some bad runs manufacturing the EPS module. In going thru this process at no time was a mechanical issue raised by me or toyota. I was told - I need to get used to EPS, the roads cause it, tire pressure causing it, alignment causing it etc., Turns out that was not the case. I had a defective EPS module anyway you slice it IMO.

I agree if it was a programming error it would have been done long ago because it would be the fastest and easiest fix.

And no offense to anyone but I also think it is very peculiar that people that are NOT having an EPS issue would post so much on this particular thread. That is like me spending time on a dental site in a cavity thread saying I have no cavities. That doesn't do squat for people that do. Just sayin'
    edited September 2010
    "And no offense to anyone but I also think it is very peculiar that people that are NOT having an EPS issue would post so much on this particular thread. That is like me spending time on a dental site in a cavity thread saying I have no cavities. That doesn't do squat for people that do. Just sayin'"

Well I guess if you enjoy reading about dental work and had good teeth you probably would post on a dental thread defending yourself if all you heard from certain posters is, since I have bad teeth all dentist suck and everyone of you have bad teeth also. You probably would continue to post and argue, not true, my mouth is fine.

Now getting back on topic; this site is not just a b**ching thread. This thread is also to inform others that not all Corollas suck like some would like you to think. It's also a great tool to express your own experiences with EPS. I think those of us that are informing potential Corolla buyers that the large majority of Corollas have EPS as intended and work just fine and are great little cars, is doing them a great service by not discouraging them from driving one just because others don't like it or don't want to take the time to take care of the manufacturing problem.
  • Some posts have been removed. Speculating about the motives and employment of other members isn't helpful. If you don't like a particular member, the best policy is to skip their posts.

ALL members are welcome here.
    Those who don't like the steering on their Corollas are welcome here.
    Those who like the steering on their Corollas are welcome here.
    Those who want to ask questions about others' positive & negative experience with EPS on the Corolla are welcome here.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I'm just saying that as well. People who are just commenting much ado about nothing. When I came to the thread I had Googled EPS + steering problems in Toyotas and here I am. I did it to find if others were experiencing the same problem and if they knew what was wrong with my 2008 Corolla. I posted my concerns and that I had been to the NHTSA site and found many more Toyota owners with the same issue with their cars. Then when I found out from Toyota that there was indeed a fix I was happy and excited to let all those here know about it. I thought I was doing a good deed because I know personally how frustrating the car's meandering is. I was challenged about it in so many words by people here and then there were some who were happy about it and said they would call the Toyota experience hotline and tell them they knew about the new modules and they wish to have theirs replaced. Since my car is like brand new and I am happy with my new module, the only reasons I have been sticking around are A) in case someone new comes to the thread and doesn't know about "the fix" and B) to see if anyone else was able to obtain the new module and reports on how their car is behaving and C) to report my experiences with my car and if its better or worse or whatever. I dont have an agenda im just an office assistant at a school. Now to go back to the top, I dont get posters who just come to the thread to bash a brand. I mean once, twice understandable but I think it speaks volumes that the same poster has nothing better to do than repeatedly bash Toyota but they do not say if they own(ed) one, they haven't said why they come to the thread, they haven't said that they experienced a steering problem and that's why they are here, they haven't said they got their Toyota fixed and it did or didn't work. So that what angered me. i have a life and I dont have time to just come shoot the breeze and complain about Toyotas in general especially if I didn't own one or never owned one. Even if I had many moons ago I would have to ask myself why is this so important. Perhaps they had such a bad experience with Toyota and it traumatized him, but if this is the case I'm willing to listen aka read his plight, but to just say all Toyotas stink is not helpful and to just insult those like me who had 1 bad experience but now, since Toyota made it right, reported that I love with my Toyota is just unfair, uncalled for and can be offensive.... I mean lets be adults here please. :)
    edited September 2010
    Well said! I think everyone's driving experience is important for the readers of this thread, not just the negative experiences. Glad to hear this thread was able to at least solve your EPS problem. I hope others will check into the "fix".
  • biffprestonbiffpreston Posts: 59
    edited September 2010
    In the variable assist column mounted electric steering in the Corolla the best that can be achieved is awful. This specific type of electric steering system is going to be awful.You can talk all day about "fine tuning" and replacing ECU units and it is not going to make the Corolla with EPS drive and handle even remotely well and like what I call a normal car.It is a whole new realm of bad road handling.