Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    sjarea states - "What you might be inferring is diligence"

No, what I was inferring was negligence - as in, the failure to exercise that degree of care in circumstances.

sjarea states - "If toyota most likely knew of the problem then I do not think they should wait for people to complain. They should do the right thing and issue a recall"

I agree 100% but unfortunately and apparently you can't even trust Toyota anymore, so it's up to you and I to make sure the quality of what we buy is up to par. And personnally I wouldn't want them tinkering with my steering as I like it just the way it is.

sjarea states - "Any negligence would fall on a manufacturer that knows they have a steering problem and yet continues to sell those cars to unsuspecting buyers"

Well I guess the jury is still out if there actually is, or even if they knew about this problem, hence the investigation by the NHTSA.

sjarea states - "Maybe you or edmunds.com will e-mail/ call Steve St. Angelo, Toyota’s Chief Quality Officer for North America and ask him or someone in his office to come here and read and comment on this thread"

Don't think he'll make the time for us peons, he just wants our money $$$.
  • sjareasjarea Posts: 49
    TercelTom,

I still completely disagree with you.

Also, even looking at
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/

10 Steps to Buying a New Car
    Checklist
    Published: 11/08/2002 Updated: 04/30/2009 - by Philip Reed, Senior Consumer Advice Editor, Edmunds.com
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/10-steps-to-buying-a-new-car-pg12.html

It does not state anywhere in there to test drive the specific car you are buying.

The closets it gets to is:
    # If you haven't already done so, test-drive all the cars you are considering buying.
    Which is exactly what I did.

And
    # Inspect the car for dents, dings and scratches before taking final delivery.
    Which is exactly what I did.

Perhaps edmunds.com will update their article with your suggestion.

So, where is the negligence? Again, I completely disagree with you.
    edited January 2011
    Okay, but I sure next time you buy a car you won't fall for the demo test drive trick, bet you'll test drive YOUR OWN car, right?
  • sjareasjarea Posts: 49
    Probably not since I have driven test models before and never had problems in the past when buying a new car.

The only right thing for me to do is never buy a toyota again.
    Probrably better off with that Ford Fiesta, LOL
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Maybe so. The Corolla isn't the right car for everyone.

Why argue? The OP doesn't like his car or how it performs. No amount of hindsight or debate is going to change that. Several people don't like how the EPS performs, others do. That's just the way it is.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Correct and compounded by the fact that some just don't like it and some actually have a problem unit; it's difficult to distinguish dismay from disfunctional.
  • biffpreston1,

I'm not sure what grade your English professor gave you on your research project, but I hope it wasn't an "A". You have hurt the quality of this discussion forum by spreading inaccurate information about the 2010 & 2011 Toyota Corolla Electronic Power Steering systems.

I'd like to set the record straight for everyone reading here, because better understanding the new EPS systems in the new cars is important. I appreciate your research into (JTEKT) , and what products they produce. But you failed to realize that for at least the (2010 Corolla) and 2011 Corola the EPS system was "Steering: Electric Power Streeing (EPS); power-assisted rack-and-pinion". In your post you said "If you look down below at some of the other types such as the pinion type and the rack type you will note in the descriptions that JTEKT which is the manufacturer provides they state that these two other systems provide excellent road handling and road feel." I hope that this is true, as it would mean that this is a system of a higher quality than the Column-type.

As an added note, the following new cars in this class have the "Rack-and-pinion" style EPS: 2011 Toyota Corolla, 2011 Honda Civic, 2011 Chevy Cruze, 2012 Ford Focus

The following new cars in this class have the "Column" style EPS: 2011 Hyundai Elantra

I would suggest you do some fact checking against the research paper you wrote, and then come back here and discuss the 2011 Corolla. In addition to that, I would also suggest you go by a Toyota dealer, and test drive the 2011 Corolla to assist in discussing your opinion on how it drives (not how the 2009-2010 model drives).

Respectfully
    Thank you for the very thorough explanation, I hope that puts this baby to rest. . . . . . .
  • Whether or not I was wrong on the Hyundai doesnt really matter. As far as the 2011 Corolla is concerned I have yet to find out. I figured your company would eventually have to switch from the extremely poor performing column type EPS that a a great many people got stuck with. A lot of people got screwed with really lousy subpar handling cars.

It remains to be seen whether the 2010 Corolla and 2011 Corolla have Rack and pinion EPS. There are even more complaints to the NHTSA regarding the 2010 Corolla for the same exact problems with the steering as the 2009 Corolla.

Toyota certainly did not do anything for those of us that ended up buying Corollas with the column mounted garbage steering. So I have nothing positive to say about the almighty Toyota Corporation.

Want to pick my posts apart how about this. You say. "But you failed to realize that for at least the (2010 Corolla) and 2011 Corola the EPS system was "Steering: Electric Power Streeing (EPS); power-assisted rack-and-pinion" then you say at the end of your post I would also suggest you go by a Toyota dealer, and test drive the 2011 Corolla to assist in discussing your opinion on how it drives (not how the 2009-2010 model drives).

"for at least the (2010) and 2011 they had rack and pinion type EPS then at the end I should somehow see how the 2011 model drives and compare it to the 2009 and 2010. So which years do Corollas have rack and pinion type EPS. Do they have it in 2010 and 2011 like you said earlier in your post or only in 2011 like you imply at the end of your post?

Toyota can stick it BTW! They have made no effort to contact me and attempt to make anything right. I guess smirking lying Jim Lentz has better things to do.

You know I really enjoyed reading about how the Toyota executive in charge of quality control who testified in front of congress in place of Akio Toyoda lied.

Heres a statement he made from the Washington Times. "Mr. Sasaki said drivers may have felt as though they were losing control over the steering, but it was not clear why. He mentioned problems with the braking system or tires as possible underlying causes of the steering problem. U.S. officials also are investigating the complaints."

Not clear why? Gee maybe the new Column type EPS. Guess he just didnt figure that the funky new column type EPS they just started putting in the cars might just be the reason for the steering complaints. No it might be the tires or the brakes. Uh Huh. Good Ol' Honest Toyota Motor Corporation. Way to sidestep the truth.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/18/corolla-steering-is-latest-probl- em-for-toyota/
    Biffpreston1 states - "I figured your company would eventually have to switch from the extremely poor performing column type EPS that a a great many people got stuck with"

Really? Where did bleschber ever say he worked for Toyota? This is why I have a very hard time taking you seriously. You attack and insinuate and show your paranoia tendencies. You did the same thing to me in the past. Please try to avoid all that and stick to the topic at hand.
  • The 2011 Toyota Corolla uses variable assist column mounted electric steering. It has not changed. Same lousy subpar handling. Wobbly loose steering at all speeds and the inability to maneuver the car adequately. Truly an unbelievable joke of a car.
    Why don't you go test drive one before passing judgment on the new 2011 Corolla. As you might know by now, many of us have a 2009 and 2010 Corolla and we're very happy with the new EPS steering. And we don't care if it's mounted on the column, the floor, the dash or on the roof for that matter. It's the fact how nice it is to drive a car that is actually a treat to drive with such an added feature to the steering that matters, not where the steering motor is located.
  • biffpreston1biffpreston1 Posts: 7
    edited February 2011
    The cars with column mounted electric steering drive like crap and in a serious way and you know this and I know that you do. I don't care what you say in your posts about how much you love your car and how well it drives and how I don't tell you how your wonderful little car drives. I have driven four cars with column mounted electric steering on test drives. I have driven a different Toyota Corolla, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris and Nissan Sentra. They all drove exactly the same. All of them had loose wobbly steering at all speeds and all of them were hard to maneuver at all speeds. The driving characteristics were representative of variable assist column mounted electric steering. Variable assist column mounted steering is a an outdated form of electric steering that performs very poorly. The new electric assist rack and pinion steering systems, like the ones Ford is now using, are vastly superior in performance to the column mounted EPS that Toyota is using. There are much bigger differences between the column type EPS in the corolla and the electric assist rack and pinion systems and those differences go far beyond where the motor is placed. The Column mounted EPS uses a funky worm gear in its design instead of having a nice rack and pinion. It essentially uses a funky screw at the end of what you might call the steering column to interface with the steering rack on the car. The screw essentially screws as the steering wheel is turned and this interfaces with the steering rack and the car turns. Instead of a nice accurate pinion to roll along a rack. It is a very bad design and it is very outdated in terms of performance. There is no way your going to use a worm gear to interface with the rack like they have done with these steering systems and have nice accurate crisp steering.
    Don't be offended Biff, but none of that technical stuff really matters to me. What does matter to me as well as others that have posted on this thread is that our 2009 or 2010 Corollas equipped EPS have fine steering control, maneuverability and ease of steering. Like I said before, I can literaly parallel park my Corolla with one finger. On the highway I often find myself driving with my right arm up on the passenger seat just relaxing. In fact, I have to remind myself that this isn't a good practice to fall into. Wish you could come drive my car to see how yours should drive . . . . . . . .
  • biffpreston1biffpreston1 Posts: 7
    edited February 2011
    Something for people to consider when coming to these boards or any other forums on the internet of any type for that matter is that some people lie and play games. It is something done on a daily basis all over the internet. Anyone who tells you that you are paranoid for stating or understanding that is likely to be a game player. I don't lie and play games. I say that people should do some side by side comparisons of the New funky Corolla with EPS and the new Ford Fiesta and the Honda Fit or any of the other cars that use a form of electric steering other than column mounted. When test driving the cars simply pull into a parking lot along the test drive route and maneuver the car a bit in the parking lot make sure you can steer and turn the car acurately and quickly and do this in a number of different ways. Take 3 to 5 minutes to do this. The Corolla will fail and I mean fail miserably compared to the other cars. It's like a car with a handicap compared to the others. It's important to test drive the cars your comparing on the same day and preferrably close to one another in order to get a good side by side comparison. Does it sound like I'm the one lying and playing games here?
    edited February 2011
    Well only since your asking Biff, I would have to answer YES to your last question. Although I do agree 100% with you on one thing, drivers should take the Ford Fiesta vesus the Toyota Corolla test drive. OMG that's so funny, I can't even type that without laughing! LOL . . . . . Hey, do you work for a Ford dealer? LOL
  • I expected something like your last post. You read exactly what I said. I said Ford Fiesta or Honda Fit. I must work for 2 different car companies. I also said or any other car with electric steering thats not the column mounted type.

When someone drives several models of the same car the Toyota Corolla with EPS in this case and then drives several models of other cars with the exact same type of electric power steering along with the car that they own with the same type of electric steering and they all drive exactly the same, there is absolutely no question that that individual has an excellent sense of the driving characteristics of that particular type of electric steering system.

When that particular individual logs onto a message board and they see someone who appears to be obsessed with defending a car company and they see that person stating that the steering is really good on that model of car and how dare anyone tell them how their car handles. It is pretty obvious that person is lying and lying absolutely. That person is lying willingly and knowingly. The only mystery is why. It's not too much of a mystery though there are only a couple of good reasons someone would do that. The way that person is describing their so called car is completely contrary to the way the steering system is designed to drive and it is completely obvious to the person who understands how the car is designed to drive. It is unfortunately not obvious to most people who really don't know much about these cars or these steering systems. Those are the type of people who log onto message boards like this one to get real and honest answers to their questions.

Toyota can't seem to get the basics down these days, steering, braking and throttle. Really, they have had major trouble with all three. Maybe Jim Lentz can come out and smirk and lie in front of some camera somewhere and tell Toyota customers and potential customers how much the company cares about them and how much the company is working hard to correct these "minor" mistakes that its made. I mean after all when you buy Toyota your like family right. Want to talk about a laughable concept.
    Biff states - " When test driving the cars simply pull into a parking lot along the test drive route and maneuver the car a bit in the parking lot make sure you can steer and turn the car acurately and quickly and do this in a number of different ways. Take 3 to 5 minutes to do this. The Corolla will fail and I mean fail miserably compared to the other cars. It's like a car with a handicap compared to the others. It's important to test drive the cars your comparing on the same day and preferrably close to one another in order to get a good side by side comparison"

Wooow! For a guy who couldn't notice his own Corolla's faulty steering when he test drove it and purchased it, you sure do have a lot of instruction for other potential buyers. Perhaps you should take your own advice next time and pay a little closer attention and maybe you won't buy a lemon, huh?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    Good God Almighty!! You two people are absolutely fascinating with your obsession of defending and trashing a car to the point of sounding like two 10 year olds. Face it - one of you absolutely hates the car and the other absolutely is enamored with the car to the point of making one wonder whether he works for Toyota and invented the damn EPS system.

I had a 2010 Corolla and got rid of it after 8 months due to the crappy steering - it was my last Toyota after about 6 or so different models. Why am I writing this? I stop back by and see how the EPS saga is going - obviously, terceltom is still there defending EPS and every other picayune downside someone brings up..."the windshield washer fluid on my 2010 Corolla doesn't shoot a strong stream"; you can count on the fact that terceltom will state that his shoots so hard it leaves scratches on the windshield.

Face it - some hate the car and some would sleep in their car if their wife gave them a chance (wonder why they don't). Come on people, get over it and discuss things that are really important about the car! I thought that's what this forum was all about - ?

As a side note, I wonder where the Moderator is in all this p***ing contest? I used to be chastised for a heck of a lot less!
    Z